PDA

View Full Version : Advice on an optimum graphics card for Athlon 2 GHz processor

Junkers_Jack
02-21-2006, 05:51 AM
Folks,
Currently I have a 2GHz Athlon processor with 1Gig RAM and a GeForce FX5200 OC 256RAM. I am havind doubts about the graphics card after seeing some of the spectacular images from other flyers.

What would be the best Graphics upgrade without chnaging the processor or RAM as I understand the rAM should be sufficient. Is it worth doing even as a lot of oilots seem to have P4 with 3 Ghz.

This all started after reading the miro-stutter post, I see a hit in frame rate in the test track as the first a/c passes from top right to bottom left. I concluded that I don't get the effect that others see but my problem/dissatisfaction is related to my sytsem can't cope with fast crossing targets. so deflection shots can be difficult with a freeze then reset with target nowhere near my bullet stream.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif Why do I get the feeling I have been here before

Junkers_Jack
02-21-2006, 05:51 AM
Folks,
Currently I have a 2GHz Athlon processor with 1Gig RAM and a GeForce FX5200 OC 256RAM. I am havind doubts about the graphics card after seeing some of the spectacular images from other flyers.

What would be the best Graphics upgrade without chnaging the processor or RAM as I understand the rAM should be sufficient. Is it worth doing even as a lot of oilots seem to have P4 with 3 Ghz.

This all started after reading the miro-stutter post, I see a hit in frame rate in the test track as the first a/c passes from top right to bottom left. I concluded that I don't get the effect that others see but my problem/dissatisfaction is related to my sytsem can't cope with fast crossing targets. so deflection shots can be difficult with a freeze then reset with target nowhere near my bullet stream.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif Why do I get the feeling I have been here before

Grue_
02-21-2006, 06:58 AM
Get the best card you can afford. You probably have an AGP socket so make sure you get an AGP card.

You also need to check the power requirements for the card to make sure your power supply can handle it.

ATi X85x or nVidia 7800 series cards will be waiting for your CPU to keep up so you might want to set your sights on the X800 or 6800 series.

Also, Google up some information on shutting down services on Windows. I have a batch file that closes down all my security, ipod and other services that free up a lot of RAM and these services also need cpu time occasionally that can cause fps loss.