PDA

View Full Version : ...Just a thanks.

Double_Agent121
12-03-2008, 06:03 AM
Hi. I just wanted to say thanks to John for helping me a few months ago with learning the ins and outs of computer planning/designing/building. My newly learned knowledge came into play a little while ago. Remember that old scrap PC I used to use that I always complained about? Well that was my dad's PC and it finally gave up and died so my dad got a new one, but here is the cool bit. He assigned me the task of finding all the right parts online and then he'd order them. So after a few hours discussion over parts on websites I have spend 100s(yes 100s) of hours on looking for just the right parts for my PC I finally came up with a final product which he ordered (while I had my fingers crossed) The parts came yesterday and I found out that my dad had no interest in assembing the PC and expected me to do that too! So I set to work and after 3+ hours of shaking hands and sweat I had finished putting it together ever so gingerly and carefully so as not to mistakenly break anything at all. And it worked! So now I have officially completed building my 1st rig and I made no mistakes or anything which I wouldn't have been able to do if John hand't helped me previously. SO thanks again man. Tomorrow I'll take some pics of the rig if I remember and show it to y'all. In the mean time I'll give ya the specs.

Intel E5200 @ 2.5GHz
ASUS P5KPL-CM Motherboard
2 gigs of Corsair RAM @ 800MHz
Samsung 250gig HDD 7200RPM (SATA)
and a Samsung DVD writer (SATA)
and then my dad chose this case because he liked it which really surprised me.
iCUTE ZL08 5G ATX CASE (The fan is ultra quiet)

And he is running Windows XP Home Edition. It reboots from on to off and then back on again in 25 seconds!

Double_Agent121
12-03-2008, 06:03 AM
Hi. I just wanted to say thanks to John for helping me a few months ago with learning the ins and outs of computer planning/designing/building. My newly learned knowledge came into play a little while ago. Remember that old scrap PC I used to use that I always complained about? Well that was my dad's PC and it finally gave up and died so my dad got a new one, but here is the cool bit. He assigned me the task of finding all the right parts online and then he'd order them. So after a few hours discussion over parts on websites I have spend 100s(yes 100s) of hours on looking for just the right parts for my PC I finally came up with a final product which he ordered (while I had my fingers crossed) The parts came yesterday and I found out that my dad had no interest in assembing the PC and expected me to do that too! So I set to work and after 3+ hours of shaking hands and sweat I had finished putting it together ever so gingerly and carefully so as not to mistakenly break anything at all. And it worked! So now I have officially completed building my 1st rig and I made no mistakes or anything which I wouldn't have been able to do if John hand't helped me previously. SO thanks again man. Tomorrow I'll take some pics of the rig if I remember and show it to y'all. In the mean time I'll give ya the specs.

Intel E5200 @ 2.5GHz
ASUS P5KPL-CM Motherboard
2 gigs of Corsair RAM @ 800MHz
Samsung 250gig HDD 7200RPM (SATA)
and a Samsung DVD writer (SATA)
and then my dad chose this case because he liked it which really surprised me.
iCUTE ZL08 5G ATX CASE (The fan is ultra quiet)

And he is running Windows XP Home Edition. It reboots from on to off and then back on again in 25 seconds!

JohnsHomegirl
12-03-2008, 04:44 PM
Awww, that was so nice of you to post this, I'm so proud of John for helping you so much. He really is amazing with computers.

WhiteKnight77
12-03-2008, 05:18 PM
It's good that your Dad let you pick out the parts and build his new PC. While some think it difficult, it really isn't that hard to. That is one reason why I had wrote and posted my PC building guide several years ago (yes, it features dated hardware, but the principles are the same). The best way to learn something is by doing, after you read up on it.

Congrats again on your Dad showing faith in ya. Good on him.

MKCC14
12-03-2008, 05:56 PM
Wow thats amazing, maybe you can help me to in the future Johnny boy with my pc problems as I know I will get there sooner or later with the direction Im heading in. BTW, do you know a lot about software as much as you do hardware?

MeloniesHomeboy
12-03-2008, 10:25 PM
No problem helping you out man, if you need anything else let me know, or if anything goes wrong at any point, after all, they are computers :/ just send a pm. Now you got a decent rig goin, hit me up on some Left 4 Dead if you want. Just post your Steam ID.

@ Mk: I know more about hardware than software, but I could prolly help none the less.

Double_Agent121
12-13-2008, 03:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MeloniesHomeboy:
No problem helping you out man, if you need anything else let me know, or if anything goes wrong at any point, after all, they are computers :/ just send a pm. Now you got a decent rig goin, hit me up on some Left 4 Dead if you want. Just post your Steam ID.

@ Mk: I know more about hardware than software, but I could prolly help none the less. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool! I'll take you up on that Left 4 Dead offer in about a months time because then I will have completed my own rig and I won't need to use my dad's PC...also I don't have L4D yet but I had been planning to buy it soon after I finished my PC.

featherfoot07
12-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Hey, that's a pretty good set up you've got there. How about posting some pictures, if you don't mind. I'm in the process of building mine, but I've got the problem of limited funds. lol. What all games do you play so I can see you around....?

Double_Agent121
12-22-2008, 03:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by featherfoot07:
Hey, that's a pretty good set up you've got there. How about posting some pictures, if you don't mind. I'm in the process of building mine, but I've got the problem of limited funds. lol. What all games do you play so I can see you around....? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well that's my dad's PC and he has said strictly no gaming but I just ordered an identical PC but with an EVGA 9600GT Superclocked added and it should be coming sometime theis week or at the latest next week after the Christmas rush. When mine is assembled I'll get pics and let you know what I can play. But an Uncle of mine who is into gaming has a 2.4GHz Dual core(OCed to 2.7 on stock cooling),4gigs of RAM,Vista and a 9600GT too and he says he can play Crysis and any other games out todate decently on his 19". so I'm expecting the same results from mine on XP.