PDA

View Full Version : Bad Betty

Sakai9745
11-24-2004, 09:28 AM
How's this for historical accuracy. They Betty had a nickname that always stuck with me - 'The Flying Gascan'. Yesterday was a particularly lazy day, so I decided to run a test to confirm this.

Cranked out a Corsair vs. 3 Bettys, 1000m up on the Okinawa QB setup. Climbed up to 1500, then...

Dove head on with the #1 a/c. Two or three second burst at his right engine on my first pass. Zoomed up and came about to see him spiraling down, engine engulfed in flame. The thing exploded after I saw the fourth chute open.

Dove under #2, then zoomed up, another two or three second burst at his left wingroot. This time, an explosion, and the wing came clean off.

Trailed #3 and decided to give him a careful burst, no more than a second at most, again at the left wing. Belch of smoke at the moment the bullet stream connected. Engine caught fire several seconds later. This one did not explode, but was completely engulfed in flames when it hit the water.

If I had been assigned to a Betty crew back in WW2 with this hindsight, I would've asked them to shoot me right on the spot. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif What a terrible place to be in with enemy fire incoming.

actionhank1786
11-24-2004, 10:02 AM
"If I had been assigned to a Betty crew back in WW2 with this hindsight, I would've asked them to shoot me right on the spot. What a terrible place to be in with enemy fire incoming"

...yeah i wouldnt fly the thing either.
I'd just "accidently" stand behind the 20mm and get shot

stansdds
11-24-2004, 10:13 AM
Self sealing fuel tanks and armor plating increase the weight of an aircraft. The Japanese philosphy was to sacrifice self sealing fuel tanks and armor so that fighters were more nimble and bombers could carry heavier loads over longer distances. This is actually a sound philosophy as long as no one is shooting back at you. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Hendley
11-24-2004, 10:39 AM
As stansdds says, it's all about compromises. For most of 1942 the Betty was actually pretty succesful because of its great range* and not-so-bad performance. Bettys played a big role, for example, in sinking the Prince of Wales and Repulse.

For sure, the Betty was far too vulnerable, but the RAF, Luftwaffe and others made the same mistakes with their early war bombers; ie., they ordered bombers that turned out to be a lot more vulnerable to fighters than was expected... Still, by April 1941 (first deliveries) the IJN should have probably already learned this lesson.

*It's hard to make range an (interesting) element of a combat sim like this, but one of the biggest reasons why the Zero was a Great Fighter was its unprecedented range. MacArthur, even after the war, continued to believe that the Zero raids against his Philipines airbases were from carriers; in actual fact, the Japanese pilots were operating from airfields in Taiwan.

TgD Thunderbolt56
11-24-2004, 11:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hendley:
*It's hard to make range an (interesting) element of a combat sim like this, but one of the biggest reasons why the Zero was a Great Fighter was its unprecedented range. MacArthur, even after the war, continued to believe that the Zero raids against his Philipines airbases were from carriers; in actual fact, the Japanese pilots were operating from airfields in Taiwan. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly. The range, agility and training of the airmen made them the best in the PTO for more than a few years. 2 of these 3 things are extrememly difficult (if possible at all) to model in this type of sim. Range is all but irrelevent due to map restrictions and the training/experience aspect is virtually moot in online scenarios.

The Zero was VERY potent early in the war, but online they are not much more than a novelty and an "elitist" aircraft flown by few.

TB

Sakai9745
11-24-2004, 12:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by actionhank1786:

...yeah i wouldnt fly the thing either.
I'd just "accidently" stand behind the 20mm and get shot <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't think of that. A great way to go and still maintain my honor. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

jazman777
11-24-2004, 01:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sakai9745:
How's this for historical accuracy. They Betty had a nickname that always stuck with me - 'The Flying Gascan'. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I just read that pilots also nicknamed the Betty "Ronson". That's an American lighter brand, BTW.

Acme70
11-24-2004, 02:01 PM
The flying Cigar was also a Betty nickname, Because of the shape of the plane & it's knack for catching fire http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

Ballistic4N6
11-24-2004, 02:58 PM
Also was nicknamed "Zippo"!