PDA

View Full Version : If GM1 is enabled, will flame goes out from the exhaust pipe?

Bang_D
12-06-2006, 03:47 AM
I've played Need For Speed series, and there was nitrous oxide boost system. In NFS when you engage the N2O, flame goes out from the exhaust pipe.
Well, the GM1 is a N2O-Boost system for piston engine aircrafts. The principle of which should be similar with cars'. In FB, planes such as Ta152 have that. But no flame, right?
Ah, possibly the flame is just one of the cinematic/arcade effects the NFS displayed, and NFS is always, an unrealistic game, after all.

Bang_D
12-06-2006, 03:47 AM
I've played Need For Speed series, and there was nitrous oxide boost system. In NFS when you engage the N2O, flame goes out from the exhaust pipe.
Well, the GM1 is a N2O-Boost system for piston engine aircrafts. The principle of which should be similar with cars'. In FB, planes such as Ta152 have that. But no flame, right?
Ah, possibly the flame is just one of the cinematic/arcade effects the NFS displayed, and NFS is always, an unrealistic game, after all.

stansdds
12-06-2006, 04:15 AM
The ability to see flames coming from the exhaust stacks of an aircraft depend upon ambient lighting conditions, the design of the exhaust system, the amount of unburned fuel in the exhaust gases, and the velocity of those gases. Exhaust flame is normally invisible in daylight conditions, but may be seen at night. IL2 does not model exhaust flame from piston engined aircraft. Some MS Flight Sim aircraft do model it, but it is visible in daylight, so it's not exactly correct.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

When you know as much as I do, you become a danger only to yourself. -Stans, 2006

JG53Frankyboy
12-06-2006, 05:04 AM
well, the GM-1 system in german planes during WW2 worked actually not as a typical boost system.

it was only allowed to use it above the normqa rated altitude of the engine. above that alt the supercharger for its own was not able anymore to bring enough Oxygen "in" the engine that i could maintain its full power. here comes the N2O to play, its Oxygen "replaced" the missing one - so the engine could mantain its max power to higher altitudes than without GM-1 . But in general the engine had not more power.
the MW-50 was a realy boost system.