PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts on the motion sensor in the PS3 controller?

godofwar1989
05-14-2006, 04:41 PM

fatcat217
05-14-2006, 04:44 PM
i choose i dont care because it is not a rip off of wii, the wii depends heavily on the the motion sensing, the ps3 will most likely only use it in some games, the wii will use it in all games. and you cant compare a 2 handed controller to a 1 handed controller before you use them for over an hour each

DBSithis
05-14-2006, 04:46 PM
It might not be an original Idea, but Sonys is just being an [censored]hole by copying Revolution's idea.

Tlepolemus7
05-14-2006, 04:47 PM
I love it! I mean, who doesnt kinda casually move their controller as they play video games? This new controller is going to use those small casual motions and turn them into part of the gameplay, I just think thats awesome. As for it being a rip off of the Wii, you may as well say the Xbox is a rip off of the Playstation because they are both video games.

In the trailer for Assasin's Creed, we all saw Altair dodge a guards swing (right before he stabs him with his crossbow) and I think if the dodging was controlled by the controller movement, that would be amazing!

DBSithis
05-14-2006, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Tlepolemus7:
As for it being a rip off of the Wii, you may as well say the Xbox is a rip off of the Playstation because they are both video games.

But then, Sony would have ripped off Nintendo and Atari€¦It€s painfully obvious that they wanted to remove Nintendo as an opposition.

Quinncint24
05-14-2006, 06:24 PM
In the trailer for Assasin's Creed, we all saw Altair dodge a guards swing (right before he stabs him with his crossbow) and I think if the dodging was controlled by the controller movement, that would be amazing!

That would be a dream come true!

As for the controllers. Apples and Oranges my friends... You don't compair them, just decide which one you like more or agree that both are yummy ^.^

Prol33tariat
07-26-2007, 11:20 PM
will someone please explain to me why i didn't know this....?

wait my PS3 tracks motion?

im seriously feeling nEWb right now, not just NEWB but almost...n00b, OMG....

someone explain this to me quickly please?
I feel like such an idiot.I don't believe it.

kppgno80
07-27-2007, 12:25 AM
i dont mind it, but its a cool feature they added, but i dont use it, its to hard to get used to, like in baseball games you have to push the controller forward to swing

anyone tried that duck bath game? where its based on the six-axis controller and you control the tub with the controller

XBfreak_101
07-27-2007, 02:23 AM
Why did you bump a thread thats over a year old? Are you mad?!?

the_assassin_07
07-27-2007, 09:42 AM
I don't think this is considered as bumping since he has something relevant to say about the matter, if it is then I'm sorry for posting this.
----------------------------
-You can't escape the Assassin-

Phreaky_McGeek
07-27-2007, 11:43 AM
Bumping is better than starting a new thread, remember the "find button" rule is alway enforced, and there's no point in using the button if you can't post what you wanted to.

the_assassin_07
07-27-2007, 01:39 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif Exactly.
--------------------
They escaped Death Row, now they're on the loose.

Phrygian15
07-27-2007, 03:37 PM
I just love the controller!, cause you still get the same great controlled of always, but you can now use in some games the sensor in the controller.

The good thing of it to is that if it was all sensor like the Wii, it would be fun but still it would be annoying after a while (at least to me)but if you use it ocasionally like in the PS3 you don't get tired!!

T_Spoon_UK
07-27-2007, 04:40 PM
I watched a friend try to play a racing game using it in a Local Curry's.

It Looked stupid... and not fun... and he said it was aswell.

Just my opinion though... im sure its fine...

WhatsHisFace13
07-27-2007, 06:13 PM
It seems too sensitive from when I played on one. I just hope there will be a toggle option on every game so you don't HAVE to use the motion sensitivity if you're the kind of person who moves around a lot. Wow, that was a long sentence!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

First-Endever
07-27-2007, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by T_Spoon_UK:
I watched a friend try to play a racing game using it in a Local Curry's.

It Looked stupid... and not fun... and he said it was aswell.

Just my opinion though... im sure its fine...
it is fine, it's fun.
you might think it is stupid, fine, your oppinion.
But your friend most likely said it was stupid cause he is not used to it and therefore he sucked at whatever game he was playing, so, ending up him saying it is stupid.

Trust me, happens way more then you think it would.

NDDONS09
07-27-2007, 11:30 PM
lol pro33 its just the motion sensor in your controller...so if your flyin a plane in a game and tilt your controler to the right the plane turns to the right...you prolly already knew this but got confused or somethin

T_Spoon_UK
07-28-2007, 08:03 AM
I'm just thinking it could get annoying.

Example - Say im sitting there playing a racing game, or something, and im using the Joystick to turn and not the Six Axis. Say i tilted to the right by accident or something, wouldnt the car turn to the left and go off the track? or does it not work like that?

I dunnnnooo.

NDDONS09
07-28-2007, 11:29 AM
naw i dont think they would use both the tilt andf the joystick at the same time cuz then it could prolly get messed up like u said

the_assassin_07
07-30-2007, 11:30 AM
Yeah in Motorstorm, you can only use 1 type of version.

LandoCoop
07-30-2007, 12:02 PM
Two words. Power Glove

dragfindel
08-01-2007, 03:42 AM
one thing wonders me why does the wiimote need a special sensor bar and the sixaxis not?
does the ps3 has some kind of little ball inside just like osme old mouses have.

the_assassin_07
08-02-2007, 07:14 AM
No it has a laser in it that connects it to the PS3.

Altair_92
08-02-2007, 07:23 AM
Just look at kppgno80's sig to see the stats for the consoles. And yes, Sony has always stolen the rumble feature from Nintendo (The N64 first had it available). Sony is ddoing sh*tty so they have to steal ideas and go waaaaay far out to try and hide the fact that the idea is completely someone elses and they don't even give them credit.

Home = 360 achievement system except with a home (Aka the sims. lol)

Motion controller = Kinda stole it from the Wii

Im just saying that Sony tends to take an idea, morph it into some freaky thing, gives no credit to others that they took they idea from (They could say based on or something), and then it's done. Nothing original is what I'm trying to say.

I don't even have a PS3 but I don't need to to know.

the_assassin_07
08-02-2007, 07:25 AM
Why do you hate PS3 so much? They put a lot of effort into it.

Altair_92
08-02-2007, 08:36 AM
Effort = Stolen ideas

PS2 was great,but Sony messed up in so many ways with the PS3. I think that they were and still are too cocky. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Blue ray not attached to PS3 = More systems sold!!!!!!!

the_assassin_07
08-02-2007, 11:44 AM
Why????? Blu-ray is one of the most vital components in the PS3.

Phreaky_McGeek
08-02-2007, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by dragfindel:
one thing wonders me why does the wiimote need a special sensor bar and the sixaxis not?
does the ps3 has some kind of little ball inside just like osme old mouses have.
The sensor isn't a sensor, it's just a strip of LEDs that the Wiimote uses to triangulate the point that the user is pointing at on screen. The PS3 doesn't have one because it only detects motion

Altair's points are all right, I just don't understand why the PS3 would sell more without bluray. The system can't utilize it's "legendary" processor without that additional storage, and if you're looking for a bluray player, the PS3 is the cheapest one available (though I presume not for long)

dragfindel
08-02-2007, 11:56 AM
your defitly right phreaky most bluray players cost 1200 euro's and ps3 only 600.
and isaw a deal somewhere that in a flyer ps3 60 gb + extra controller + resistance + motorstorm
for 600 euro's so you get that for free in fact then.
so if that isn't a good deal i dunno

chewie1890
08-02-2007, 12:35 PM
According to a survey done by a group called 'The Diffusion Group'. Only 13% of console owners actually use it's High-definition playback. Assuming that every percent of that thirteen percent went to Sonys PS3, that would only make 520,000. If I remember correctly the Sony user base is a bit less than four million but I just used that number for the sake of this post.

So, is Sony's PS3 really being used as a Blu-Ray by a large portion of it's audience? I'd say no.

Of course there could of been a fault in the survey, coming from people who call themselves 'The Diffusion Group' it seems possible.

Personally I think that the use of Blu-Ray was an error on Sony's part. It added to cost for production, and it even made them lose an entire month of production when they were having trouble putting everything together...

And without Blu-Ray they wouldn't have utilized the extremely costly and often highly overrated Cell processor...

Phreaky_McGeek
08-02-2007, 12:54 PM
I don't usually look around for PS3 news and assumed a greater number of people would be using it as a cheap Blu-ray player, as I for one (at least during the initial weeks following the launch) would not use it to play games http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Looking back on that, it does seem to link together to form the impression that Sony just wants to make their console rake in more cash. And, as I've posted before, I really don't think that the Cell processor should receive much as praise as it does (hence the sarcasm-hinting speak brackets when I write "legendary" processor), I just assumed that developers would try and use it's seventeen cores (or whatever ridiculous number of whatsamahoojits it has) to the fullest, and therefore games discs would require more storage to hold all of that data. A 50gb blu-ray disc is taking it too far, though, most games don't take up more than 10gb when installed on a PC.

the_assassin_07
08-02-2007, 01:02 PM
Wow, that must of taken you ages to type up http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

dragfindel
08-02-2007, 01:08 PM
ffs just see what the blu ray storage can do in 2 years if i am correctly most sony exclusives werent be possible without bluray. even the drake adventure games demo they showed at e3 wouldent fit on a dvd (typo).

the_assassin_07
08-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Yeah.... whatever you said http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

chewie1890
08-02-2007, 01:17 PM
See that's one thing that bothers me about developors. They lie through their teeth. Take this game for example. They were saying that it wouldn't be possible without the power of the PS3.

Look at it now, It's on PS3, 360, and PC. I mean, they've been doing every live demo on the 360! Jade's said it already, it was actually 'easier' to code it for the 360. See I think the only way they can say it with a straight face is because they take some mis-leading information, and then they run with it. I think what they meant was. The way they coded it for the PS3 wouldn't work on another console. But re-writing the code to work with what the other consoles offer can bring about the same end results.

the_assassin_07
08-02-2007, 01:20 PM

dragfindel
08-02-2007, 01:21 PM
ps3 is harder to program because of the cell processor but well let's stay on topic from now on

the_assassin_07
08-02-2007, 01:23 PM
Yeah... so the motion sensor is cool. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

dragfindel
08-02-2007, 01:26 PM
well it's underused imo
i think it will be well used in warhawk and motorstorm.

the_assassin_07
08-02-2007, 01:28 PM
i think it will be well used in warhawk and motorstorm.
... They use it in Motorstorm.... but yeah I agree with you it's underused.

dragfindel
08-02-2007, 01:33 PM
thanks for pointing that typo out.
i think that it's being used as an aftertought.
well atleast mgs4 has some uses for it.
and i am wondering for what more uses it will be used for. (bad english)

chewie1890
08-02-2007, 01:36 PM
To be on-topic. I'm not a big fan of the feature. Everytime I use it it feels tacked on. Or if it doesn't feel tacked on I still feel more comfortable using a button press.

I was at my friends who has a PS3 and we were playing some CoD I think, and I thought it might be fun to move the control to do a bash. Sadly I found out that to flick the controller enough I would have to let the controller leave my hand to actually get it to bash. Whenever I didn't let it leave my hand I would have to bring my right wrist into a 90 degree angle and move my left arm completely to make it effective. I'd much rather press square and know that my attack will work and I won't lose control of my character.

I assume that it would be implemented much better in a driving/flying game though, but since I'm not a big fan of either (Except maybe Crimson Skies) I just wouldn't have a use for it.

the_assassin_07
08-02-2007, 01:38 PM
What about Burnout?

benthepigeon
08-16-2007, 07:50 AM
I dont really care about the controller tbh, but i just dont understand why there is no rumble. I dont have a ps3 (and dont plan to get one) but i was watching a video on youtube or something and this guy was playing the original Warhawk on ps1 with a Thrustmaster controller (i think) and it had tilt and evrything. sony say they dont have rumble because it would mess up the sensing but this controller, from about '98, had tilt and rumble, and it was fine when this guy played through warhawk and a racing game as well.