PDA

View Full Version : Official TMNT: Smash-Up Blogs

QuidProKuo
08-12-2009, 11:06 AM
Hey guys,

We'll be posting up the official web blogs here as well as in the US news section of the site. It's scheduled to be updated weekly both on the website and here.

-QPK

Here's the first post to get us rolling:

First exposure to Turtle Power

Matt Leunig (Associate Producer) -
Growing up I was a big comic book nerd. Marvel, DC, you name it… I had it. Around 2nd or 3rd grade my family briefly moved to Naperville, IL, a suburb outside of Chicago. I didn’t know anyone and it didn’t take long for me to track down the local comic book shop, Graham Cracker Comics. I was a little dorky kid who spent his free time trading Garbage Pail Kids or playing G.I. Joe and this store had an air of “adult” to it which intrigued me. Metal posters on the wall and a whole slew of black & white independent books. I had never seen anything like it. Then I saw it…TURTLE SOUP #1. It was an off-shoot TMNT book that was an anthology of short turtle stories and pin-ups. It just looked cool. The cover had 3 turtles riding a weird dragon’s back holding onto to another turtle dangling below. The title was done in trippy letters and the price was $2.00 (the book had been out for a bit and was actually priced up at $5.00). $5.00!!!!!! What the heck?? I remember thinking this means it must be cool and there was no way I would be able to afford that. I was used to buying comics for 75 cents…. $1.00 tops, and left the store in defeat.

The image of the cover haunted me so I convinced my parents to give me an allowance and did the usual, mowed lawns. A lot of lawns. A lot of lawns…. in the hot summer. A month later I was back and it was mine. I remember the guy behind the counter eyeballing me thinking what is this little dweeb doing with a book like this, and acting like I was already down… “Oh this ol’ thing,.. I know the Turtles. Just need this to complete my collection.” As I walked the long walk home I flipped through and remember being in awe of the look of the black & white art and the dirty, scratchy looking zip-tone line work. The splotchy ink & whiteout splatters for emphasis. How dark and mature the mood conveyed was. It blew me away and I spent many a day and night tracing or trying re-draw images from that book. Soon I was mowing more lawns and buying more books.

A couple years later TMNT was starting to get big and the toys and cartoon were blowing up. I remember it taking me a while to realize wait, this is the same thing as the books I was following. The cartoon was so jokey and colorful and it hit at the right age when I started to obsess on stuff. I got rid of my baseball cards, erased my knowledge of stats and went overboard with TMNT. Turtle-themed birthdays, roaming the neighborhood with bandanas on fighting fake enemies, drawing my own TMNT comics. I’m sure there are many others out there with similar stories. It’s weird to think almost 20 years later that things have come full circle and my day job involves interacting with folks like Jim Lawson & Peter Laird and talking turtles all day. I’m a happy nerd.

Li C. Kuo (Community Developer) -
I was only 12 when I first was exposed to the world of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. One of my school buddies brought in his Raphael figure and it was geek love at first sight. What was this strange soft-headed green toy with a pair of sai? It wasn’t long before I was watching the cartoon and had bought my own turtle (Donatello). At this point I should admit that yes, my first exposure to the turtles was through the cartoon, but in a way, discovering the turtles that way would only sweeten my experience with them. How? It all has to do with the comic.

One day I was flipping through a comic book and I saw an ad for a TMNT collection. It was a huge black and white tome that collected the first four trade paperbacks of the original TMNT comic. I clipped out the order form and sent it in and four to six agonizing weeks later a hefty package arrived. To say that my first exposure to the turtles in their original terms was shocking would be wholly accurate. These clearly weren’t the same quartet that I knew from the toys and cartoons. These guys were brutal, they were killers, they were bad-assed…and I loved it.

I tore through that collection and then went on to buy the same storylines again in color and went on to read the “Return to New York” storyline which blew my mind.

Back then I’d never have expected to be Community Developer for a TMNT game, but here I am.

QuidProKuo
08-12-2009, 11:06 AM
Hey guys,

We'll be posting up the official web blogs here as well as in the US news section of the site. It's scheduled to be updated weekly both on the website and here.

-QPK

Here's the first post to get us rolling:

First exposure to Turtle Power

Matt Leunig (Associate Producer) -
Growing up I was a big comic book nerd. Marvel, DC, you name it… I had it. Around 2nd or 3rd grade my family briefly moved to Naperville, IL, a suburb outside of Chicago. I didn’t know anyone and it didn’t take long for me to track down the local comic book shop, Graham Cracker Comics. I was a little dorky kid who spent his free time trading Garbage Pail Kids or playing G.I. Joe and this store had an air of “adult” to it which intrigued me. Metal posters on the wall and a whole slew of black & white independent books. I had never seen anything like it. Then I saw it…TURTLE SOUP #1. It was an off-shoot TMNT book that was an anthology of short turtle stories and pin-ups. It just looked cool. The cover had 3 turtles riding a weird dragon’s back holding onto to another turtle dangling below. The title was done in trippy letters and the price was $2.00 (the book had been out for a bit and was actually priced up at $5.00). $5.00!!!!!! What the heck?? I remember thinking this means it must be cool and there was no way I would be able to afford that. I was used to buying comics for 75 cents…. $1.00 tops, and left the store in defeat.

The image of the cover haunted me so I convinced my parents to give me an allowance and did the usual, mowed lawns. A lot of lawns. A lot of lawns…. in the hot summer. A month later I was back and it was mine. I remember the guy behind the counter eyeballing me thinking what is this little dweeb doing with a book like this, and acting like I was already down… “Oh this ol’ thing,.. I know the Turtles. Just need this to complete my collection.” As I walked the long walk home I flipped through and remember being in awe of the look of the black & white art and the dirty, scratchy looking zip-tone line work. The splotchy ink & whiteout splatters for emphasis. How dark and mature the mood conveyed was. It blew me away and I spent many a day and night tracing or trying re-draw images from that book. Soon I was mowing more lawns and buying more books.

A couple years later TMNT was starting to get big and the toys and cartoon were blowing up. I remember it taking me a while to realize wait, this is the same thing as the books I was following. The cartoon was so jokey and colorful and it hit at the right age when I started to obsess on stuff. I got rid of my baseball cards, erased my knowledge of stats and went overboard with TMNT. Turtle-themed birthdays, roaming the neighborhood with bandanas on fighting fake enemies, drawing my own TMNT comics. I’m sure there are many others out there with similar stories. It’s weird to think almost 20 years later that things have come full circle and my day job involves interacting with folks like Jim Lawson & Peter Laird and talking turtles all day. I’m a happy nerd.

Li C. Kuo (Community Developer) -
I was only 12 when I first was exposed to the world of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. One of my school buddies brought in his Raphael figure and it was geek love at first sight. What was this strange soft-headed green toy with a pair of sai? It wasn’t long before I was watching the cartoon and had bought my own turtle (Donatello). At this point I should admit that yes, my first exposure to the turtles was through the cartoon, but in a way, discovering the turtles that way would only sweeten my experience with them. How? It all has to do with the comic.

One day I was flipping through a comic book and I saw an ad for a TMNT collection. It was a huge black and white tome that collected the first four trade paperbacks of the original TMNT comic. I clipped out the order form and sent it in and four to six agonizing weeks later a hefty package arrived. To say that my first exposure to the turtles in their original terms was shocking would be wholly accurate. These clearly weren’t the same quartet that I knew from the toys and cartoons. These guys were brutal, they were killers, they were bad-assed…and I loved it.

I tore through that collection and then went on to buy the same storylines again in color and went on to read the “Return to New York” storyline which blew my mind.

Back then I’d never have expected to be Community Developer for a TMNT game, but here I am.

QuidProKuo
08-19-2009, 05:10 PM
For this week's blog we reminisce about our favorite TMNT toy of all time.

Matt Leunig (Associate Producer) - Slash
Growing up my favorite character was always Casey Jones because he looked really cool and was just a vigilante badass, but he wasn’t my favorite toy. For that I would have to go with Slash. The 1990 Playmates version of Slash. Slash’s character was an evil doppelganger version of the turtles that was hulkishly huge and looked extremely tweaked. He had a mouth full of fangs and came with evil (jagged and rusty) versions of each of the turtles’ weapons including Shredder’s hand spikes.

Unfortunately over time his character was dumbed down for the cartoon as well as another version of the toy in which he had buck teeth, appeared to be half robot and spoke with a lisp.

The turtles’ toys all tended to be pretty lighthearted so it was cool to see a darker looking character in the mix.

Li Kuo (Community Developer) - Star Trek Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
I don’t know who decided to turn the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles into Star Trek characters, but the world is a better place for it. I’ve never seen these in person, but they’re on the official TMNT 25th Anniversary website. There’s First Officer Don, Captain Leo, Chief Engineer Michelangelo, and Chief Medical Officer Raphael. How did Raphael get to be the chief Medical Officer? Since when was the U.S.S. Enterprise running on “pizza sauce engines”? It really says that on the packaging! There are also mentions of a “Foot findin’ phaser” and “engine defendin’ nebula nunchakus.”

It doesn’t stop there. First Officer Donatello has pointy ears and his favorite line is, “Doctor, it is not logical to dislike pizza.” Wiser words were never spoken. Apparently, First Officer Donatello has “green pizza sauce for blood” too. If you want to know more, just head to www.ninjaturtles.com (http://www.ninjaturtles.com) and check out the 1994 toy archive. You won’t be disappointed.

What’s your favorite TMNT toy? Tell us by posting it on the forums right now!

QuidProKuo
08-26-2009, 03:48 PM
Top 10 Reasons It’s Good To be a Ninja Turtle

Just for fun:

John Teymoorian (Assistant Producer) -
1. Being a buff Ninja Turtle is MUCH cooler than being my boring self.
2. Getting to wear awesome headbands and shoulder bands would rock.
3. Having people cheer whenever you arrive on the scene would be fun.
4. Being able to do flips and other cool Ninja moves!
5. Getting to carry around Ninja weapons and not having your dad yell at you.
6. Being able to beat up bad guys is fun.
7. Having an awesome shell to spin on my back with.
8. Can use your ninja skills to protect the ones you love.
9. Have the coolest grimace EVER!
10. Not having eyeballs would freak out my friends!

Li Kuo (Community Developer) -
1. Being a ninja. Who wouldn’t want ninja abilities?
2. Getting to hang out with April O’Neal (hottie).
3. Ninja Weapons are cool.
4. Being in peak physical condition thanks to all the ninja training.
5. Getting to relieve stress by beating the snot out of Foot Clan ninjas.
6. Spending quality time with Casey Jones to help clean up the streets of NYC.
7. Skateboarding through the underground sewer system of NYC (as long as I don’t have to deal with the smell).
8. Never having to shave (no hair).
9. Not having to wear pants (they’re so restrictive).
10. Never having to go to work or school.

QuidProKuo
09-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Favorite Ninja Weapons

Li Kuo (Community Developer) - Shuko
Again I’m a bit off the beaten path here. Shuko may not be as flashy as nunchaku or as deadly as a katana, but they have a lot of features that make them pretty cool. I like that these bad boys are both utilitarian and deadly. Having these claws on the palms of your hand definitely enhances your climbing ability, and seeing as how ninjas rely on stealth I’d say any tool that helps you take the path less traveled is a good idea.

When in a pinch these little claws can also act as a weapon. Just look at that picture, would you want to be hit across the face with someone wearing a set of these? Sure, a hit from these probably won’t kill you, but they’ll definitely scar you for life and definitely discourage you from continuing the fight. So many ninja weapons are more like tools to help them get out of a bad situation, and this one definitely fits that bill. It’s small, easy to conceal, hard to detect, and even harder to see coming.

If I had to pick a full-on weapon then I’d pick the traditional straight-edged ninja sword. Unlike other katanas, which are curved, swords used by ninjas are straight. They also tend to have a square hand-guard that’s larger than those found on traditional samurai swords. This was so they could be used as a tool to reach higher places. One way to do this is to rest the sword downward on the top of a low wall with the blade parallel to the wall and have all the weight resting on one side of the hand-guard. The ninja could then step on the other side of the hand-guard and use it as a step.

I’ve always loved the dual-purpose nature of ninja weapons and I think it shows in my picks.

Alex Offerman (Producer) - Ninjaken
We get the question, “Who is your favorite Turtle and why?” a lot, and my answer is always Leonardo because he uses the Ninjaken, which is very similar to the Katana, my favorite weapon of all time. I’m partial to the Katana because I got the chance to train with it back in high school when I studied Kendo and Iaido in Japan, an adventure that TMNT was partly responsible for inspiring to me to go on after I became a fan of the original comic (and I mean the original original comic) earlier in Jr. High.

Honestly, until I picked up issue #1 of TMNT I was simply not into the Ninja craze that was going on at the time, but with their intensity, skill and strict adherence to traditional values of honor, the Turtles changed that and I wanted nothing more than to emulate them. Frankly, they came off as more real than any portrayal of Ninjas I’d seen up to that point, and because of them I was smitten with all things Ninja and Samurai.

I still have extremely fond memories of my Kendo club in Japan. Normally, the class was very structured, with our Sensei having us spar for hours until we had our techniques down perfect, but once in awhile our Sensei would leave for a teacher meeting or some other issue, and we would inevitably fool around. At those times, I loved grabbing another Shinai (bamboo sword used in Kendo that also happens to have a straight “blade” like the Ninjaken) and sparing with one in each hand against the other students Leonardo style! Non-traditional Kendo target spots were also fair game, so all of us ended up with bruises on our legs, arms and backs, but it was so much fun that we never complained, and somehow our Sensei never caught us. Or maybe he knew but didn’t mind us blowing off some steam once in awhile the way Splinter does sometimes… I’ll never know.

QuidProKuo
09-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Favorite TMNT Bad Guy

Alex Offerman (Producer) – Shredder
I hate to be boring (hey, I’m a producer not a designer!) but my favorite character is still Shredder, both because he was in that first issue of TMNT that I fell in love with and because he was the ultimate enemy back when my friends and I played the old (as in almost 25 years ago) TMNT pen and paper role playing game. I remember making a cheetah character with super speed that I couldn’t wait to face Shredder with in the game! And much like the four Turtles, it turned out that he was really tough and we had to team up, with all our teenage mutant ninja animal characters working together as a team, to beat Shredder. It was an epic battle that forever made Shredder my favorite enemy.

Li Kuo (Community Developer) – Shredder’s Elite Guard (From TMNT Book 21 – Return to New York Book Three)
I was pretty young when I first read “Return to New York” and it instantly became my favorite TMNT storyline. (Warning, spoilers ahead!) There’s a part in the story when the turtles meet Zog, a lone alien in the sewers. I loved that scaly dude. I thought it just couldn’t get any better. The reptilian soldier was kicking all sorts of Foot Clan ***, but he came to an end at the hands of Shredder’s Elite Guard. I don’t know much about these mutated ninja dudes. Perhaps that’s why I like them. They’re so odd, so deadly, so wrong. One is big and heavy-looking with four arms, another is skinny with strange lobster-like arms and the other is small and spiky. Each is decked out in the same gear that the original Shredder used to wear.

Those creepy clones left a mark on me. It’s now a good 20 years since that issue came out and I still remember them vividly. Now that’s the sign of a good bad guy.

QuidProKuo
09-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Favorite gameplay mode in TMNT: Smash-Up

John Teymoorian (Assistant Producer) – Tournament Mode
I love winning stuff. Trophy Tournament is where it’s at for me. Making my own trophy and flaunting it only to swipe it back away from people that try to win it from me, and showing off the number of times I’ve successfully defended these titles is pretty fulfilling. Also, winning trophies that others have designed and adding them to my collection is pretty fun.

You can think of me as the predator hunting my prey, and all of the trophies in my collection are spoils and proof of those that I have conquered!

Li Kuo (Community Developer) – Arcade Mode
I’m going to have to go against the grain here. I know that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Smash-Up is a great multi-player experience and it’s probably how most people will play it, but I’m old-fashioned. I like progressing through levels and getting bits of story and cutscenes and then being rewarded with an ending. I love the comic-book style storyline portions of the Arcade mode and once the game is out I plan to play through it with every character to see all of their stories.

The multiplayer mode is fun and I’ll definitely spend lots of time playing it with my friends, make no mistake about that. I’ll also make a concerted effort to unlock everything I can, but the first mode I’ll play will still be the Arcade mode. I think part of it is also because I often see single-player modes in fighting games as a trainer of sorts. It’ll get me familiar enough with the game so that I won’t feel totally unprepared for multi-player. I’ve never been very good at Brawl-style games so I’ll need all the help I can get!

kimi_
09-21-2009, 10:04 AM
GAMEPLAY TIPS

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Smash-Up is almost out! Due to this special occasion Associate Producer Matt Leunig has put together some gameplay tips to help give you an edge during your first hours with TMNT: Smash-Up.

Environmental attacks: Tips on using the environment to your advantage

As discussed before, many of the levels have interactive and destructible elements to the environment that players can use to defeat their opponents. Some levels tend to be simpler leaving players to rely on their fighting skills while others are chalk full of traps and hazards that really mix up ones fighting strategy. Though it usually screws me in the end, I tend to like playing some of the levels that have elements that throw off the balance of a match. It doesn’t matter that I have been playing this game since it was a bunch of stick figures, these unexpected surprises will throw me off allowing someone who just picked up the controls for the first time to pull one over on me. One stage that is particularly fun in this regard is the “Rabbid’s Garbage Dump”. It takes place in a dump surrounded by huge piles of trash that wobble and rain garbage down on you as you are fighting. When I say garbage I mean things like trucks, bathtubs, etc. It definitely keeps you on your toes.
For a good example of strategic fighting let’s look at the Jungle level. The lower level of this stage houses 3 hanging log platforms over the ground that will collapse with enough hits. Most of the action tends to happen on these suspended logs. Throughout the fight a “caution” sign will pop up letting you know “Hey, an alligator is about to attack the next person who touches the ground”. At this point this is where you need to start hitting the rope holding those legs. The ropes will break after 3 hits so what I like to do is pre-plan and hit all the ropes twice. Once that “caution” sign pops up which you nail whatever log your opponent is standing on and they go tumbling into the mouth of an anxious alligator. I try to treat this stage like the way I used to play “The Floor is Lava” in my house when I was a little kid. Don’t touch the floor. You can do this by using the wall jump as much as possible.

Tips on using Ninja Powers

The best part about the Ninja Powers is that you can hold onto them and use them at your leisure. This allows you to use more strategy in your gameplay than simply straight-up beating down your opponent. Depending on what you pick up Powers are long range attacks (Kunais, Cat’s Claw, bombs, etc..) or short range attacks (Earthquake, wind, fire, etc..). Other than with bombs, you cannot hurt yourself using a Ninja Power allowing you to setup traps or corner an opponent without fear of damaging yourself. We didn’t want to make the Ninja Powers too overboard or have players rely on them to have fun so they pop up scarcely throughout a match.
One my favorite things to do is use the Wind attack which essentially thrusts an opponent up in the air or against a wall if you are close. If you time it correctly you could even juggle someone in the air or whip them in a direction you want (over a ledge tends to make people angry).

[QuidProKuo's out of the office right now, so I'm posting this on his behalf. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ]

kimi_
09-22-2009, 08:41 AM
The official launch day for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Smash-Up is here! To help you get an edge for your first day of brawling we had Assistant Producer John Teymoorian put together some basic combos to get you started.

Combos!

(*Note "!" = smash motion. The player must press the stated direction at the same time as pressing the attack button specified in order to perform the proper attack.)

Leonardo:

A, A, A, wait one second, Up! + A, Forward ! + A

You’ll start off with a devastating three hit combo and end with an air juggle that sends your opponent flying.

Michelangelo:

Up throw, Up ! + B

This one is simple, but effective. You throw your foe upward and add insult to injury by following it up with an airborne attack.

Donatello:

A, A, A, Up ! + B

Once again, you start off with three quick hits that will end with your enemy in the air. This is your opening to squeeze in a few more hits by following up with a vertical attack.

Raphael:

A, B, step forward, Up ! + B

Your first two hits will throw your enemy off his feet. While he is airborne step directly under him and unleash a multi-hit upward attack.

Master Splinter:

A, A, A, wait one second, Forward ! + A

The timing on this one is tricky, but if you get it just right you’ll follow up a simple three-hit-combo with three air kicks that will pummel your foe.

Casey Jones:

A, A, A, Forward ! + B

The opening three hits in this combo will set your opponent up for a massive mid-air hit that will practically put your enemy in orbit.

kimi_
09-23-2009, 09:06 AM
Top 10 Things You Didn't Know About TMNT: Smash-Up

Alex Offerman (Producer) -

1. The Swing-by attack (where you swing from the red poles) originally would launch in the direction opposite from where you’re character’s feet were pointed. It felt odd and counterintuitive, so we changed it to launch in the same direction that the character’s feet are pointed.

2. The original text for when you unlock a new figurine part was “NEW PART GET”. We wanted to keep this because it sounded kind of cool to us in an Engrish kind of way, but when we asked people not familiar with Engrish, they thought it just sounded wrong so we fixed it.

3. The Assistant Producer on the project met his girlfriend while showing Smash-Up off at E3. Dreams do come true.

4. Jim Lawson was the first artist to work on TMNT comics after the original creators (Eastman and Laird), which is why we were super excited to have him do the art for Smash-Ups Arcade Mode.

5. To recreate the original art style of the comic books, Jim Lawson had to find and use special comic book paper that is no longer used now that everything has switched to computers.

6. When you are playing a tag-team match, if you perform a grab and then press the tag-team change button, you’ll do a special tag-team throw.

7. When you are about to be thrown, a “G” icon will appear above your character for a very brief amount of time. If you hit the Guard button within this time, you will break out of the throw.

8. There are counter hits in the game. If you hit someone while they are in the process of performing an action, you will do more damage and knock them across the screen.

9. You are invulnerable when using certain Ninja powers, so even though they are offensive in nature, there are creative ways to use them defensively.

10. Originally, you could only cling to walls one time before you lost your grip and fell, but this was punishing for players (especially in the Manhattan level where they would fall to their deaths) so we changed this to two times, and it was much more forgiving (and fun!).

QuidProKuo
09-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Favorite TMNT Storyline

Li Kuo (Community Developer) – “Return to New York” I’ve already mentioned this before but I don’t mind repeating myself. For me, my favorite Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles storyline will always be the “Return to New York” storyline that kicked off with Book 19 of the TMNT comic book series. It’s a great story about the turtles returning to, you guessed it, New York after hiding out in the countryside after a fierce battle with the Foot Clan. This one has everything: guns, explosions, Shredder’s Elite Guard, an alien with a rotting brain (Earth’s atmosphere isn’t so healthy for them), and even Raphael driving a four-armed “mech” of sorts.

I have to point out, again, how cool it was to have the turtles team up with Zog (the half-crazed alien Raph finds in the sewers). Watching Zog cut a swath of destruction through countless Foot cronies was a blast and I was genuinely upset when he falls in battle to Shredder’s Elite Guard. At the same time, it was also a great way to intro the Elite Guard. Here’s Zog, 100% badass, taking down bad guys left and right, but in one brutal instant, and about a hundred deadly slashes, he goes from hulking war machine to dead dinosaur. It really drove home just how deadly the Elite Guard were.

Hmm…I think I’m going to have to go and track down the trade paperback for this, it’s been a while since I last read it.

Matt Leunig (Associate Producer) – “Leonardo #1”
Ahhhh Li, why you gotta go and cop my favorite storyline. I really dug that story as well. I’ve always enjoyed more of the turtles down to earth stories which developed their personalities over the crazier space battles and alien encounters. One issue I had that totally stands out is Leonardo #1. It was a pretty simple story but everything about it was awesome. It’s Christmas time and the turtles and Splinter are at April’s house. Leo takes off to the rooftops to gather his thoughts while the rest of the gang hang around doing holiday things such as Raph butchering the Christmas tree with a pair of butterfly swords and Mikey wrestling pesky people out of the kitchen so he can prepare a proper feast. While Leo is out he gets attacked by a horde of foot soldiers which leads to an all out brawl that lasts the whole length of the comic book. The story does a great job of cutting back and forth from really gritty violent (and extremely well thought out) fight scenes to really interesting and humanizing moments being shared by the other characters at April’s house. The fight with the foot clan is brutal and climaxes with Leo beaten and bruised covered with blood and muddy snow being surrounded by soldiers which eventually move to reveal The Shredder, who previously was thought to be dead since the 1st issue. The comic ends with Leo being tossed through the window into April’s apartment and the foot soldiers surrounding the house as Leo mutters… “He’s back…the Shredder”.

Everything about the comic to me was awesome. The b&w artwork was beautifully rendered and the use of the toning pattern for shading was probably the best I’d seen for that single issue than in the entire comic run. The action sequences were long and like watching an old Kung-Fu movie while the scenes in April’s were touching and really created interesting moments of how the characters interact with each other and their personalities. This comic was loosely interpreted in the 1st TMNT movie but instead it was Raphael being attacked and chucked through April’s window. Best part is you can read the whole comic for free online in the “Comics” section of Mirage’s website, www.ninjaturtles.com (http://www.ninjaturtles.com).

QuidProKuo
10-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Favorite Classic TMNT game

John Teymoorian (Assistant Producer) – Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (SNES)
This game was an awesome clone of Street Fighter 2. I played this game in the old Blockbuster game tournament. The winner of the store tournament got to go to Marine World Africa USA (now Six Flags Marine World). This game had a pretty good balance to it. There were lots of combos you could do and each of the characters really had a unique feel to them.

I really played this game religiously for a few months and I figured out some pretty cool combos with Shredder and Michelangelo. For anyone that wants to check out a really decent fighting game and a turtle’s game no less, look no further. It’s definitely worth a look.

Li Kuo (Community Developer) – Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Original Arcade Game)
For me the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles arcade game will always be my favorite Turtles game (next to Smash-Up, of course). Sure, Turtles in Time had some great effects and cooler levels, but some of my fondest childhood memories are of me and my buddies playing the original TMNT arcade game at the local mall. I was always Donatello. I still remember the music, the voice acting and the utter chaos of four turtles and tons of Foot Clan ninjas all duking it out at once.

I dropped a lot of quarters into that machine. In fact, I think once my friends and I actually broke the machine by dropping to many quarters into it. Quarters were actually dropping out of the coin return slot because the machine was overflowing. Now you know a game is popular when it’s so full of quarters that it can’t accept any more without spitting some out the other side.

QuidProKuo
10-14-2009, 04:37 PM
Favorite Turtle

Alex Offermann (Producer) – Leonardo
Leonardo is by far my favorite, not only because he uses my favorite weapon (I trained in Kendo and Iaido as a high school student while studying in Japan), but also because he has such a strong sense of honor, is philosophical, is extremely disciplined, and is a natural leader, all characteristics that I looked up and aspired to. Of the Turtles, Leonardo is probably the most traditional hero, which doesn’t always resonate with everyone, but for whatever reason, this is my favorite kind of character; someone who is actually powerful, but rather than abuse that, they not only don’t take advantage of that, but actually attempts to live up to a higher standard. That doesn’t mean I don’t like the other Turtles (I love them), but Leonardo is the one that resonates the most with me personally.

Li Kuo (Community Developer) – Donatello
Ever since I was a kid I gravitated towards Donatello. He was the one turtle that I felt I could relate the most to. Donatello was also a fellow tech geek, introspective, and bookish. I also loved the bo staff. It’s such a simple weapon, but he used it well. I think one of the key moments that cemented Donatello as my favorite turtle was in the comic book issue where the four turtles are forced to square off against four alien gladiators in an arena. During this fight the turtles are victorious; each taking out their larger opponents, but the way Don dispatched with his foe was unforgettable.

You see, the arena fight was a fight to the death, and when I first started reading this part I wondered just how Don was going to kill an alien with just a big wooden stick. During this melee Don breaks his bo staff when striking his opponent. He then takes the splintered fragment of the bo that’s still in his hand and shoves it into the gut of his enemy. It was bloody, it was brutal, and it was awesome. From that moment on I knew Donatello would always be my favorite turtle, and he still is today.

Head to the forums and tell us which turtle is your favorite!

QuidProKuo
10-21-2009, 03:39 PM
Favorite Non-Turtle Character

John Teymoorian (Assistant Producer) – Chrome Dome
This is a pretty obscure character that not many people probably remember. In fact, I think he was only in one episode of the TV show that was aired in primetime, a real special. He was just this really cool robotic samurai. Shredder created this robot soldier to hunt down the turtles. I have the toy at home. He came with a sai, a sword and some other chain-and-ball-looking thing that was pretty awesome. In the cartoon, I just remember him being a really scary, cool bad guy. But then again, I was only about eight years old, haha.

Li Kuo (Community Developer) – Casey Jones
I’m a fan of vigilantes. Sometimes justice needs to be meted out swiftly and brutally…and with a cricket bat. The first appearance of Casey Jones in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comic books has him duking it out with Raphael. After fighting to a draw the two eventually team up to lay the smack down on some street hoods. It was the beginning of what would be a beautiful friendship, complete with plenty of skull cracking and butt kicking.

Casey Jones was brutal to lawbreakers of all types. Murderers and purse snatchers were all the same in his eyes and the dark vengeful part of me took glee in his spirited methods of exacting punishment on the criminal element of New York. Still, the man was more than just a thug. He became a loyal and valued friend of the turtles and helped pull their collective tales out of the fire when the going got rough. Casey Jones was a stand up guy who looked out for his buddies, who wouldn’t want a friend like that?

Plus you gotta love that freaky hockey mask.