PDA

View Full Version : Rowans threat

blazer-glory
11-03-2005, 03:14 PM
Did Rowan ever publish its BoB game. Was it a threat to Olegs dominance?

blazer-glory
11-03-2005, 03:14 PM
Did Rowan ever publish its BoB game. Was it a threat to Olegs dominance?

faustnik
11-03-2005, 03:19 PM
It was released, and it only reasserted Oleg's dominance.

ICDP
11-03-2005, 03:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by faustnik:
It was released, and it only reasserted Oleg's dominance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apart from in immersive qualities, campaign system, in game radio commands and overall offline gameplay.

Chuck_Older
11-03-2005, 03:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by blazer-glory:
Did Rowan ever publish its BoB game. Was it a threat to Olegs dominance? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes. Rowan released it's Battle of Britain literally years ago

the Battle of Britain II: Wings of Glory game is a new treatment of Rowan's Battle of Britain, but wasn't done by them. GMX did it if I recall their name

No, it was no threat. Although the screenshots are gorgeous

ParaB
11-03-2005, 03:52 PM
As Chuck already wrote, Rowan released their BoB years ago. I bought mine in early 2001.

GMX now has released an updated version of the sim, called BoB II: Wings of Victory. I bought it (still had the old version on my HD) and enjoy it quite a lot. Actually I haven't touched IL2 since I got BoB II. That doesn't mean that it is a better sim, I think overall IL2 is the superiour sim, but it provides me with something IMHO IL2 has been lacking from the beginning: offline immersion.

This "threat" talk is IMO silly. You guys know that one can actually play and enjoy more than one game? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

3.JG51_BigBear
11-03-2005, 04:00 PM
BOB2 has some great offline perks but overall it can't touch il2. I think the greatest threat to Oleg is going to be his own success. I'm all for moving to a new game engine but given the scope of the Il2 series now, it may be hard to get players to get onboard with BOB right away. I would guess there will be much fewer flyables than there are now, less maps, and less objects. I'm sure they will be of much higher quality but there will be less variety until the sim begins to mature.

Waldo.Pepper
11-03-2005, 04:18 PM
How many flyable does BOB2WOV havve again? Four?

neural_dream
11-03-2005, 04:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 3.JG51_BigBear:
...I think the greatest threat to Oleg is going to be his own success. I'm all for moving to a new game engine but given the scope of the Il2 series now, it may be hard to get players to get onboard with BOB right away... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nah, we would all be playing PF now if it weren't mergable, simply for the new stuff. The only reason we get new stuff still for FB-AEP is that it got merged to PF.

jds1978
11-03-2005, 04:22 PM
Neural Dreams: your post count has reached 666...call a priest quick!

x__CRASH__x
11-03-2005, 04:22 PM
Between the two, I would have to say that IL-2 is slighty superior in Online play.

LStarosta
11-03-2005, 04:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by x__CRASH__x:
Between the two, I would have to say that IL-2 is slighty superior in Online play. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Disagree 58%.

neural_dream
11-03-2005, 04:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jds1978:
Neural Dreams: your post count has reached 666...call a priest quick! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the heads up. I'm calling one at the moment.

edit: Whow, that thing with the priest worked, and imagine he hasn't even arrived yet http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif.

arcadeace
11-03-2005, 04:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 3.JG51_BigBear:
BOB2 has some great offline perks but overall it can't touch il2. I think the greatest threat to Oleg is going to be his own success. I'm all for moving to a new game engine but given the scope of the Il2 series now, it may be hard to get players to get onboard with BOB right away. I would guess there will be much fewer flyables than there are now, less maps, and less objects. I'm sure they will be of much higher quality but there will be less variety until the sim begins to mature. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Watch what happens when it hits the shelves assuming it€s a good release. Everyone will jump on board. Online will quickly become BoB.

If the change is at least what FB was from Il2 it will be worth it for me. But with a new game engine it may be a greater leap in immersion. And may not be long before FB/PF collects dust for most in the community. We'll see.

TgD Thunderbolt56
11-03-2005, 05:39 PM
I simply want to be able to employ a new rig for the next gen game/sim. I always stayed fairly 'cutting-edge' for the last 4 years, but the complete switch to PCIX, dual-core and SLI will be a monumental undertaking...to say the least.

TB

x6BL_Brando
11-03-2005, 06:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but the complete switch to PCIX, dual-core and SLI will be a monumental undertaking...to say the least. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think ripping a cash-machine out of a bank wall will be harder - though I have a plan involving my sidecar outfit and a couple of skateboards http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
I wonder if they have ADSL in Wandsworth nick?

major_setback
11-03-2005, 07:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jds1978:
Neural Dreams: your post count has reached 666...call a priest quick! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

5.5 posts per day scince July!

Xiolablu3
11-03-2005, 07:39 PM
Online is where the lasting gameplay is in my opinion.

You only get a thrill out of shooting a 'robot' opponent for so long.

To fight against real virtual pilots is where the thrills are.

Thererefore however good BOB2's offline campaign is, it cant threaten IL2's multiplayer.

To be in a close all out objetive war map like UKDed1 with Axis Vs Allies just cant be beaten.

major_setback
11-03-2005, 07:40 PM
This thread was posted recently:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/2471076273

Bearcat99
11-03-2005, 09:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by neural_dream:
Nah, we would all be playing PF now if it weren't mergable, simply for the new stuff. The only reason we get new stuff still for FB-AEP is that it got merged to PF. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont think so. First off merging was the only real option that made any sense considering what was in PF. Secondly.... If PF had not been mergeable then we would have had a fractured comunity which would have been bad for the series and simming. The real stroke of genius was making it mergeable and stand alone.

Interminate
11-04-2005, 10:09 AM
Oleg should change the name from BOB though. Enough of britain. I know, how bout' Adlertag. Oh, nevermind, that was the BOB release name in Germany.
Hey Oleg how bout'

"Luftwaffe Sky"

No its not a threat, i have wov. (hate the title)
But the weather seems more dynamic. But Flying through Oleg clouds are better.
Olegs work will be quality. It will sell well.

flakwagen
11-04-2005, 10:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">GMX now has released an updated version of the sim, called BoB II: Wings of Victory. I bought it (still had the old version on my HD) and enjoy it quite a lot. Actually I haven't touched IL2 since I got BoB II. That doesn't mean that it is a better sim, I think overall IL2 is the superiour sim, but it provides me with something IMHO IL2 has been lacking from the beginning: offline immersion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am personally sick of WW2 sims. I think Oleg could've done an awesome Korean war sim. I assume it simply isn't his area of interest. It is a shame. With the exception of Chuck Yeager's Air Combat and Mig Alley I can't think of any decent sims that cover the conflict. Oleg's habit of covering obscure aircraft would be perfect for the Korean War genre.

Flak

blazer-glory
11-04-2005, 10:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by blazer-glory:
Did Rowan ever publish its BoB game. Was it a threat to Olegs dominance? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes. Rowan released it's Battle of Britain literally years ago

the Battle of Britain II: Wings of Glory game is a new treatment of Rowan's Battle of Britain, but wasn't done by them. GMX did it if I recall their name

No, it was no threat. Although the screenshots are gorgeous </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah sorry,I did mean BOB 2. It did look nice though so I might get a copy anyway. Was the sound better than the Oleg series, as in engine sounds?

Archangel2980
11-04-2005, 02:05 PM
To be honest I'm sick of BOB period. I read books watched videos about it now were going to have 100 spits to chose from and it's like we get 2 new spits with every patch anyways.http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

I would love to play a more deeper dynamic campaign on the Russian front. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

wayno7777
11-04-2005, 11:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TgD Thunderbolt56:
I simply want to be able to employ a new rig for the next gen game/sim. I always stayed fairly 'cutting-edge' for the last 4 years, but the complete switch to PCIX, dual-core and SLI will be a monumental undertaking...to say the least.

TB </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
TB, unless they code BOB for dual-core, don't bother, top end single cores do and will out-perform dual-cores. 'course I could be wrong. It's happened before....