PDA

View Full Version : What impresses you most about CM11?

mjrobertson74
11-17-2007, 04:22 AM
I'm a long time chessmaster user, having gone through 6K, 8K, 9K, and the 10th edition. So, do I really need this new one? I'm interested in what people think are the best new features.

I've never played any of the previous editions online and probably won't with this one. I'm more of a quick 20 minute game guy. And I'm not one for studying chess in detail, move by move. I just play for very casual fun so prefer to pick up hints and tips in broad brushstrokes.

Michael

mjrobertson74
11-17-2007, 04:22 AM
I'm a long time chessmaster user, having gone through 6K, 8K, 9K, and the 10th edition. So, do I really need this new one? I'm interested in what people think are the best new features.

I've never played any of the previous editions online and probably won't with this one. I'm more of a quick 20 minute game guy. And I'm not one for studying chess in detail, move by move. I just play for very casual fun so prefer to pick up hints and tips in broad brushstrokes.

Michael

diskamyl
11-17-2007, 09:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mjrobertson74:

Michael </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have both CM10 and CM11, and there's not a single improvement in CM11 than adding chess variants and that excellent tutorial from Waitzkin and making the engine multiprocessor.

and I mean it, even the simplest, the most obvious things haven't changed a bit. I was so dissapointed, it looks like they really didn't touch a thing.

so, if you do not want to pay for the 3 changes I mentioned above, I think you should stick with cm10, because they're the same thing in a different name. CM11 could barely be considered as an update, it's certainly not an upgrade.

mjrobertson74
11-26-2007, 12:31 AM
Thanks for your reply. After much consideration I've decided that I'm not going to be buying CM11 - even although it's at a bargain price online. So, this is the first CM that I've missed in a long while. Looks like it might be going the way of EA sports titles - only worth picking up every 2nd or 3rd year as the changes are so minor.

One thing I would like to see is a kind of 'career mode', where you play through seasons of different tournaments and have a world ranking. Obviously, you'd need to be able to adjust the strength of opponents to match your playing level. This would give people who want to play it more as a 'game' something to achieve rather than just playing rated games over and over.