PDA

View Full Version : OT: World Cup-A Yank's Prespective (humorous)

sgilewicz
06-23-2006, 10:57 AM
I saw this in yesterdays paper and LMAO. This guy pokes fun at all of us! Keep your sense of humor when reading it!

Thursday NJ Star-Ledger by Paul Mulshine

Soccer's catching on here in the United States, they tell me. We've reached the point where the American team is somewhat competitive in the World Cup.
I like many things European, particularly the beer. But I have never quite fathomed soccer. Then yesterday I made the connection between the two. I turned on the TV to give the World Cup a try. Portugal was playing Mexico. People were falling over a lot and the ball was going everywhere but into the goal. The announcer seemed excited anyway. It turned out that Angola was playing Iran at the same time, he said. "If anything happens in that game, we'll switch over to it," he told us.
Well, there you have it: A direct admission from an expert that, during most of the typical soccer game, nothing happens.
Yet that nothing seems tremendously exciting to the fans. Throughout the game, they kept up a din so loud that it must have awakened the scorekeeper from the long naps he takes between goals.
Hence the need for beer. It is impossible to imagine sober people working themselves up into such a lather while nothing is happening on the field. And up till this tournament, European soccer fans had access to great quantities of high- quality stuff. The English have their wonderful ales, the Germans their lagers and so forth.
That all changed this year. It seems that Anheuser-Busch paid $40 million to become the exclusive beer sponsor of the tournament, which is run by a group called FIFA, one of the initials of which stands for "football" even though it's a soccer tournament.
The sponsorship deal went through before the site of the tournament was chosen. But then, trouble. Germany was picked as the host country. And to the Germans, Budweiser's not beer. It contains rice, which is strictly verboten under the hallowed beer purity law of 1516.
That was bad enough. Worse, in Germany, Budweiser's not even Budweiser. Attorneys for An heuser-Busch have struggled mightily in courts all over the world to convince judges that a beer from Missouri is worthier of the title "Budweiser" than a beer from Bud weis, which is the German name for the Czech town of Budejovice. But the German judges, perhaps because they understand German, ruled that the name "Budweiser" describes beer from Budweis, not St. Louis.
Tactics like that left Bud with a bad taste among Germans. Then when the Germans learned that they wouldn't be able to drink German beer at soccer games in Germany, they went nuts. One Bavarian politician cited what he termed an "obligation to not poison World Cup visitors with bad American beer." A group of beer lovers set up a Web site (www.budout.org) at which Germans spewed insults at Budweiser. One beer-loving American offered this comment: "I'd like to personally apologize to the world for Anheuser Busch making a weak beer with no flavor."
The low point came when fans of the Dutch team literally lost their pants to Anheuser-Busch. It seems that the brewers of Bavaria, a quite drinkable beer from Hol land, had outfitted a thousand or so fans with orange pants with fake lion tails, orange being the national color and the lion the national symbol.
When the fans showed up at the stadium, the organizers confiscated the pants, which carried the Bavaria logo. So the Dutch fans watched the game in their underwear, thereby ensuring yet another round of bad headlines for Bud. Typical was the sentiment of Irish journalist Ian O'Doherty:
"FIFA didn't like the idea of the logo of a local brew appearing in a stadium sponsored by Budweiser -- surely the most insipid, tasteless beer known to man."
Actually, there are a couple of American beers even worse than Bud. But if you rank beers on any sort of index that compares quality to price, Bud has to be at the bottom. Even in the United States, many European beers can be had at a lower price than Bud, including Bavaria.
In Europe, Bud sells at premium prices. And the Europeans gladly pay, says Dave Hoffman, who runs the Climax Brewery in Roselle Park.
"When I went to London, I was appalled," said Hoffman. "Half the people at the bar were drinking Bud, Coors or Miller."
European tastes are being Americanized, he said. The young people there now demand the same bland, flavorless beers that Americans drink -- excepting, of course, those Americans who favor microbrews like Dave makes.
Why? Dave blames another American export: advertising.
"People are brainwashed into thinking Bud is the king of beers," he said.
That must explain it. I confess I don't understand Bud's success. I would no more buy a case of Bud than I'd buy a ticket to a soccer game.
But that's progress, I guess. The Europeans send us a sport in which nothing happens. We send them a beer with no flavor.
Ain't globalization grand?

sgilewicz
06-23-2006, 10:57 AM
I saw this in yesterdays paper and LMAO. This guy pokes fun at all of us! Keep your sense of humor when reading it!

Thursday NJ Star-Ledger by Paul Mulshine

Soccer's catching on here in the United States, they tell me. We've reached the point where the American team is somewhat competitive in the World Cup.
I like many things European, particularly the beer. But I have never quite fathomed soccer. Then yesterday I made the connection between the two. I turned on the TV to give the World Cup a try. Portugal was playing Mexico. People were falling over a lot and the ball was going everywhere but into the goal. The announcer seemed excited anyway. It turned out that Angola was playing Iran at the same time, he said. "If anything happens in that game, we'll switch over to it," he told us.
Well, there you have it: A direct admission from an expert that, during most of the typical soccer game, nothing happens.
Yet that nothing seems tremendously exciting to the fans. Throughout the game, they kept up a din so loud that it must have awakened the scorekeeper from the long naps he takes between goals.
Hence the need for beer. It is impossible to imagine sober people working themselves up into such a lather while nothing is happening on the field. And up till this tournament, European soccer fans had access to great quantities of high- quality stuff. The English have their wonderful ales, the Germans their lagers and so forth.
That all changed this year. It seems that Anheuser-Busch paid $40 million to become the exclusive beer sponsor of the tournament, which is run by a group called FIFA, one of the initials of which stands for "football" even though it's a soccer tournament.
The sponsorship deal went through before the site of the tournament was chosen. But then, trouble. Germany was picked as the host country. And to the Germans, Budweiser's not beer. It contains rice, which is strictly verboten under the hallowed beer purity law of 1516.
That was bad enough. Worse, in Germany, Budweiser's not even Budweiser. Attorneys for An heuser-Busch have struggled mightily in courts all over the world to convince judges that a beer from Missouri is worthier of the title "Budweiser" than a beer from Bud weis, which is the German name for the Czech town of Budejovice. But the German judges, perhaps because they understand German, ruled that the name "Budweiser" describes beer from Budweis, not St. Louis.
Tactics like that left Bud with a bad taste among Germans. Then when the Germans learned that they wouldn't be able to drink German beer at soccer games in Germany, they went nuts. One Bavarian politician cited what he termed an "obligation to not poison World Cup visitors with bad American beer." A group of beer lovers set up a Web site (www.budout.org) at which Germans spewed insults at Budweiser. One beer-loving American offered this comment: "I'd like to personally apologize to the world for Anheuser Busch making a weak beer with no flavor."
The low point came when fans of the Dutch team literally lost their pants to Anheuser-Busch. It seems that the brewers of Bavaria, a quite drinkable beer from Hol land, had outfitted a thousand or so fans with orange pants with fake lion tails, orange being the national color and the lion the national symbol.
When the fans showed up at the stadium, the organizers confiscated the pants, which carried the Bavaria logo. So the Dutch fans watched the game in their underwear, thereby ensuring yet another round of bad headlines for Bud. Typical was the sentiment of Irish journalist Ian O'Doherty:
"FIFA didn't like the idea of the logo of a local brew appearing in a stadium sponsored by Budweiser -- surely the most insipid, tasteless beer known to man."
Actually, there are a couple of American beers even worse than Bud. But if you rank beers on any sort of index that compares quality to price, Bud has to be at the bottom. Even in the United States, many European beers can be had at a lower price than Bud, including Bavaria.
In Europe, Bud sells at premium prices. And the Europeans gladly pay, says Dave Hoffman, who runs the Climax Brewery in Roselle Park.
"When I went to London, I was appalled," said Hoffman. "Half the people at the bar were drinking Bud, Coors or Miller."
European tastes are being Americanized, he said. The young people there now demand the same bland, flavorless beers that Americans drink -- excepting, of course, those Americans who favor microbrews like Dave makes.
Why? Dave blames another American export: advertising.
"People are brainwashed into thinking Bud is the king of beers," he said.
That must explain it. I confess I don't understand Bud's success. I would no more buy a case of Bud than I'd buy a ticket to a soccer game.
But that's progress, I guess. The Europeans send us a sport in which nothing happens. We send them a beer with no flavor.
Ain't globalization grand?

csThor
06-23-2006, 11:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And to the Germans, Budweiser's not beer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think Bud is a beer to anyone. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif
And BTW - it's still football. Only in the US "football" is a game which has little to do with using your feet. So instead they dare to call it soccer. Noone else (the majority) does http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

LStarosta
06-23-2006, 11:09 AM
Not when you need a 30-pack to get a buzz.

Xiolablu3
06-23-2006, 11:18 AM
I dont understand how anyone who watches American Football can call Football boring?

US Football seems much more tedious.

ploughman
06-23-2006, 12:08 PM
It's true about Bud. You can spend 3.40 for 330ml of p1ss, or you can spend 2.45 on a delicious pint of handcrafted ale that has it's origins, it's very soul in the land and the people and the nation. Ein Beer, ein...er.

And yet, given this apparrent no brainer, folk still go for the p1ss, which they're just renting.

Pirschjaeger
06-23-2006, 12:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
I dont understand how anyone who watches American Football can call Football boring?

US Football seems much more tedious. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Partially true. If American football was more consistent in game play, it would be very interesting. It's all the breaks and pauses that take the fun out of it for me.

Pirschjaeger
06-23-2006, 12:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ploughman:
It's true about Bud. You can spend 3.40 for 330ml of p1ss, or you can spend 2.45 on a delicious pint of handcrafted ale that has it's origins, it's very soul in the land and the people and the nation. Ein Beer, ein...er.

And yet, given this apparrent no brainer, folk still go for the p1ss, which they're just renting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huebner Brauerei, Wattendorf, Franken, Bayern, Deutschland.

0.5 l = 1.90 euro

Sorry, I don't know what the rest of you are talking about. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

LEBillfish
06-23-2006, 12:28 PM
Split the difference.........Rugby.

ploughman
06-23-2006, 12:29 PM
League or Union?

And what's a Euro? Is that a new tax?

Capt.England
06-23-2006, 12:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ploughman:

And yet, given this apparrent no brainer, folk still go for the p1ss, which they're just renting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

HOW MUCH! P1SS costs just 1.80 in my local (Beaumont Leys, Leicester), with a bucket (of 6) costing 10.

Come up North, me duck. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

spiffyscimitar
06-23-2006, 12:58 PM
This is why hockey is the ultimate sport: Fast paced, combines the play making/passing game of soccer, full contact of American football, scoring high enough to keep constant interest but not overly ridiculous like basketball, and television broadcasts can present players at a nice size. The only reason it doesn't catch on big is the ice factor and expensive equipment to required to play it.

But otherwise, this guy is dreaming. Baseball is boring as hell, Amer. football has constant stops and basketball has so much scoring it deadens the pace more than no scoring at all.

For me, soccer is second only to hockey and women's volleyball (I like the short shorts!!)

Treetop64
06-23-2006, 01:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pirschjaeger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xiolablu3:

US Football seems much more tedious. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Partially true. If American football was more consistent in game play, it would be very interesting. It's all the breaks and pauses that take the fun out of it for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seriously. With American football you spend more time watching guys picking themselves up off the field, or standing around with their hands on their hips talking to someone, than you do actually watching them make a play. Heck, in addition to that, some games are constantly interrupted with an excessive amount of penalties.

Though to be fair, some of the plays in American football can be exiting. Also, there is a strategic element to American football that lacks in International football.

Still - like Pirschjaeger eludes to - if the pace can be quickened in American football then, IMO, it would become more interesting. But for now, there are way too many breaks and pauses (especially for commericals), and way, way too many penalties! Let them guys play and rough each other up a bit, Jeez!

ploughman
06-23-2006, 01:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt.England:

HOW MUCH! P1SS costs just 1.80 in my local (Beaumont Leys, Leicester), with a bucket (of 6) costing 10.

Come up North, me duck. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well yeah, for some of that fizzy Fosters dribble, maybe you'd see change from 2.20, but bespoke designer urine in a bottle, it's a call to the bank manager before you plan a night out...besides, don't get me started on up North. I'm from York and it's shocking what they extract from your wallet for a pint of something you'd want to wrap yourself around down here. What I'd give for a well tended pint of John Smiths.

LStarosta
06-23-2006, 01:30 PM
Yeah, you'd think with all the panzy padding, it'd be a free for all.

Hell, it gets rougher in a Cross Country invitational and all we got on our skinny bodies is a singlet and shorts.

Blutarski2004
06-23-2006, 01:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by spiffyscimitar:
This is why hockey is the ultimate sport: Fast paced, combines the play making/passing game of soccer, full contact of American football, scoring high enough to keep constant interest but not overly ridiculous like basketball, and television broadcasts can present players at a nice size. The only reason it doesn't catch on big is the ice factor and expensive equipment to required to play it.

But otherwise, this guy is dreaming. Baseball is boring as hell, Amer. football has constant stops and basketball has so much scoring it deadens the pace more than no scoring at all.

For me, soccer is second only to hockey and women's volleyball (I like the short shorts!!) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My official rant on US sports -

Hockey was a better spectator sport when it featured 30 minute bench-clearing brawls with 200 minutes worth of penalty time assessed.
..........&gt; ;-] &lt;............
In fairness, one of the greatest sports series I everwatched was the first Canada Cup series. That transcended simple sports and goes down in my memory as high drama. A novelist would have been embarrassed to write a script like that.

Baseball is to sports as opera is to music. Both are set apart by the sense of drama which they elicit. 2004 Red Sox miraculous post-season "return from the dead" defeat of the Yankees & subsequent World Series victory; A crippled Kirk Gibson's pinch-hit game winning home run in the 1988 World Series. Yes, it's a slow game to view on TV, but its great moments are unsurpassed.

American Football is a great game. Its greatest problem is that only those who have played it can REALLY appreciate the strategy, tactics, subtlety and nuance which hides behind all the physical contact. One player being one meter out of position on a given play can mean the difference between a tackle and a touchdown. It is every bit as tactically complicated as European football. Yes, there are lots of halt between plays, but that is more a function of the TV media which broadcasts the games and not the game itself.

And American basketball .... well, it was a lot better when the NBA featured ball-passing and movement away from the ball. All this one-on-one isolation and driving for the dunk has hurt the quality of the game here in the States. The USA has great physical talents playing on the court, but they don't know how to play the game any more. That's one BIG reason IMO why the US teams have been regularly getting waxed in international play. European basketball is a better quality of game today, simply because of its team-oriented play.

And American soccer (European football for the sensitive types). We have three big problems here: (1) no long-term tradition of the sport since the childran of theimmigrant waves of the turn of the century adopted American sports; (2) The US players you see in international competition are only the first generation which grew up with the possibility of playing organized soccer from early school age; (3) the appeal of other American sports and the big professional money which can be earned means that the large majority of the truly gifted American athletes are playing other sports at the expense of soccer.

As for World Cup play, well ..... it's clear that the US team needs to take more acting lessons and learn to create dramatic flying falls to the turf whenever they have been touched in the penalty zone. I've been watching various WC games as time has permitted. With the number of theatrical swan dives I've witnessed, Greg Louganis has a soccer coaching career ahead of him as a consultant. Too many games are being decided on penalty kicks resulting from ridiculous on-field fakery

- end of rant.

Sillius_Sodus
06-23-2006, 01:39 PM
Want to enjoy baseball? Make sure you go to an outdoor stadium, enjoy the sunshine and fresh air, down some suds and hot dogs with your family and/or friends. Actually watching the game is optional, and if you get to catch a foul ball or homer in the bleachers, it's perfect.

Sillius_Sodus

FatBoyHK
06-23-2006, 01:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">which is run by a group called FIFA, one of the initials of which stands for "football" even though it's a soccer tournament. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

for many people in US, there are only 3 countries in the world, they are the USA, Mexico (with smelly people, they say), and the Evil Axis of terrorism.

and they are totally shameless to think that their "football", which play with hands, by players who wear armor plates, is the definitive football game on earth.

I don't balme them, instead I feel sorry for their ignorance.

LStarosta
06-23-2006, 01:45 PM
One thing I like about futbol as opposed to football and baseball is the fact that the players are truly finely honed athletic machines.

You will find no fatties on a professional futbol team, while football and baseball has more than its fair share.

That says something about the level of fitness required to play the sport.

LStarosta
06-23-2006, 01:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LStarosta:

You will find no fatties on a professional futbol team, while football and baseball has more than its fair share.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ronaldo.

LStarosta
06-23-2006, 01:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LStarosta:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ronaldo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Touché.

FatBoyHK
06-23-2006, 01:56 PM
and they say soccer is boring. I don't blame them too, they are just the victim of so called "Fast-Food culture"

flockzap
06-23-2006, 01:59 PM

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Touché. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As fat as he is he still got 2 goals...

flockzap
06-23-2006, 02:03 PM
League or Union?

And what's a Euro? Is that a new tax? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It´s something you need to trade your pounds for when you leave the island http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

mortoma1958
06-23-2006, 02:13 PM
Speaking of beer, not soccer/football, I wonder what went wrong with our beer here in the states?? Most of our major brand beers companines were started by European immigrants which learned to brew beer over there!! Most of them were German, like Mr. Busch and
Mr. Schlitz, just to name a few. If the companies were started by Germans, then what happened?? Was it originally good beer that went downhill in quality due to changes in the brewing processes over the years?? I always wonder about that.

LStarosta
06-23-2006, 02:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by flockzap:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Touché. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As fat as he is he still got 2 goals... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Touché.

lol, actually he's always been one of my favorite players, and as you said, even if he is a bit chubby, he sure can score.

LStarosta
06-23-2006, 02:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mortoma1958:
Speaking of beer, not soccer/football, I wonder what went wrong with our beer here in the states?? Most of our major brand beers companines were started by European immigrants which learned to brew beer over there!! Most of them were German, like Mr. Busch and
Mr. Schlitz, just to name a few. If the companies were started by Germans, then what happened?? Was it originally good beer that went downhill in quality due to changes in the brewing processes over the years?? I always wonder about that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe it has something to do with "residual prohibitionism".

They conceded the fact that we can consume beer, it just has to be watered down 50/50, so that people don't get drunk off of it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never seen any proper beer, from Europe or otherwise, packaged in a 30-pack.

Newsflash: People are still getting wasted off "beer", but they have to drink a hell of a lot more of it, piss 10 times as much and stink up the whole joint. Thank you prohibition.

MEGILE
06-23-2006, 02:23 PM
As a non alcohol drinker, I hear Stella Artois is a fine lager that will knock you out for a few days.

berg417448
06-23-2006, 02:35 PM
You people are ALL wrong! Everyone knows that Roller Derby is where it is at!

http://www.rollerderbypreservationassociation.com/

flockzap
06-23-2006, 02:35 PM
If you want good beer go here

http://www.superbock.pt/cidade/marcanova_mundo.asp

huggy87
06-23-2006, 02:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FatBoyHK:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">which is run by a group called FIFA, one of the initials of which stands for "football" even though it's a soccer tournament. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

for many people in US, there are only 3 countries in the world, they are the USA, Mexico (with smelly people, they say), and the Evil Axis of terrorism.

and they are totally shameless to think that their "football", which play with hands, by players who wear armor plates, is the definitive football game on earth.

I don't balme them, instead I feel sorry for their ignorance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I heard there is another one up north of us near alaska. Some place with maple syrup.

LStarosta
06-23-2006, 03:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by huggy87:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FatBoyHK:

I don't balme them, instead I feel sorry for their ignorance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I heard there is another one up north of us near alaska. Some place with maple syrup. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Naw, just a conspiracy of cartographers.

Dunkelgrun
06-23-2006, 03:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by huggy87:

I heard there is another one up north of us near alaska. Some place with maple syrup. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Naw, just a conspiracy of cartographers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thought that was England? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Cheers!

LStarosta
06-23-2006, 03:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dunkelgrun:

Naw, just a conspiracy of cartographers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thought that was England? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Cheers! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Psh, I don't believe in it anyway.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

StellarRat
06-23-2006, 04:42 PM
No one around here (Oregon) thinks Bud is real beer. We have a ton of microbrew pubs around my town. I haven't touched Bud for years...I can't blame the Germans, I would have led the riot. It's cheaper to drink micros because you only need three or four to get a good buzz while it takes about 24 Buds (assuming you can stomach the non-flavor) to get the same effect.

badatflyski
06-23-2006, 05:13 PM
if someone wants a beer, make your choice, you have enough of it...in BELGIUM!

http://www.belgourmet.be/fr/biere/

PS: Stella artois is just an every day beverage, it's like water for belgians, nothing special about it, just a flaw blond one!

StellarRat
06-23-2006, 05:23 PM
I think the Germans owe us for the Marshall Plan. I propose the "Munich Plan". The Germans will spend billions sending good beer to the US and training our brew-masters to get our beer back on it's feet. Yes, I think this could work. I will volunteer to work on the quality control side of things.

SATAN_23rd
06-23-2006, 05:40 PM
I am an american and I tell you guys what, Budweiser, SUCKS. It is among the ****tiest beer on the planet. I refuse to drink it.

mortoma1958
06-23-2006, 06:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by StellarRat:
No one around here (Oregon) thinks Bud is real beer. We have a ton of microbrew pubs around my town. I haven't touched Bud for years...I can't blame the Germans, I would have led the riot. It's cheaper to drink micros because you only need three or four to get a good buzz while it takes about 24 Buds (assuming you can stomach the non-flavor) to get the same effect. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It takes 24 american beers to get you buzzed?? Try about 3 for me, but I only drink a beer or two every two months on average.
Just can't hold alcohol anymore. If I drank 24 beers, I'd probably die of alcohol poisoning.

Ishmael932
06-23-2006, 08:02 PM
For you beer hounds out there check out this website:

http://www.mendobrew.com/home.html

How can you complain about a beer brewed in a place called Hopland, Ca.

As for team sports, I'm sorry but baseball is the game. It's pastoral yet strategic. it's leisurely yet exciting. When was the last time you watched a game where a pitcher was going for a no-hitter. I remember watching a game between Oakland and Texas when Dave Stewart and Dennis Eckersley were pitching for Oakland against the 40-year old knuckleball master Phil Niekro. The final score was 1-0 but a more masterful display of pitching I have never seen. All that on a beautiful June day at the Oakland Coloseum sitting behind Home plate. It doesn't get any better than that.

Waldo.Pepper
06-23-2006, 08:15 PM
The World Cup is awesome. I think I have watched damn near every game. The real fun starts with the elimination round.

On to Hockey. It sucks these days. Ever since the expansion round that brought in Buffalo.
It was better when they wore Brylcream and not Helmets. As soon as you pile on the armour it becomes football (the North American kind) and the players loose a healthy respect for injury.

We should all know that smaller beer makers are better, I think. I patronize domestic makers who are local.

Jetbuff
06-23-2006, 10:02 PM
You know what I find fascinating? No, it's not the fact that American "football" has little to do with actually footing the ball, nor is it that Americans would actually complain that football (the real one) was less engaging than baseball or American football. What amazes me is that they call all the championships for these pretty proprietary sports "World" championships. e.g. I don't get how baseball can end in a world series? (who else is involved besides the US and a couple of Canadian teams?)

OTOH, I think that their distaste for soccer is understandable. For one thing, it's hard to like something you suck at, even if the sucking is excusable. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

No seriously, perhaps an American can correct me, but I believe some of the core reasons that make football the world's game are the same ones that turn off American audiences. Here are just a few:

1. It is a poor man's sport. No need for special equipment or pitches. Indeed, I've played it barefoot, on a dirt road with bricks for goal posts and a wad of socks for a ball! Americans seem to love their sports equipment as much as the sports they belong to. Is it simple consumerism or some sort of fetish?

2. Football is a true sport demanding incredible athleticism for 90 minutes almost straight through. Only one break between the two halves and whatever time you can sneak in during fouls, throw-ins and corner kicks. Even basketball, which is just as intense during the actual gameplay, is riddled with time-outs and breathers in addition to the fouls and out-of-bounds plays. You also get to substitute as many times as you wish and play only 48 minutes all told. And don't get me started on baseball which imo is not a sport but a game.

3. There are precious few stats in football and the ones that count, (goals) are not frequent enough for American tastes. For the rest of us it symbolizes that epic struggle for a hard-won reward. More significantly, fewer goals mean anyone can win and even the lowliest underdog might pull off an upset if they score first. There is nothing quite like the drama and anticipation of a close game and I can think of few other sports were even a nil-nil draw can evoke as much emotion.

4. Ownership - football has never really belonged to any one nation. While that comforts everyone else it seems to bug Americans for some obscure reason.

5. Competitiveness - in its 100+ year history and 17 world cups, although there have been definitive power houses, football really is an open game where anyone can win. e.g. even with the grueling World cup qualifications and knock off process, 7 different countries have lifted the trophy. I sometimes think that Americans like to have a top dog to gun for. In football, even Brazil is beatable. Perhaps this uncertainty is disconcerting?

Flying_Nutcase
06-23-2006, 10:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jetbuff:
Indeed, I've played it...with...a wad of socks for a ball!
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I was a kid, about 12 years old, we used to play 'sock-er' in the classroom at lunchtime in winter. Tremendous fun. In good 'ol NZ. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sleepzzz.gif

cam1936
06-23-2006, 10:52 PM
hockey is prolly the worst money wise, if your going to play at any competitive level your looking at well over a thousand on equpiment, my stick alone is 200. plus you need to pay large fees for ice rental. but its a damn great game

huggy87
06-23-2006, 11:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jetbuff:
You know what I find fascinating? No, it's not the fact that American "football" has little to do with actually footing the ball, nor is it that Americans would actually complain that football (the real one) was less engaging than baseball or American football. What amazes me is that they call all the championships for these pretty proprietary sports "World" championships. e.g. I don't get how baseball can end in a world series? (who else is involved besides the US and a couple of Canadian teams?)

OTOH, I think that their distaste for soccer is understandable. For one thing, it's hard to like something you suck at, even if the sucking is excusable. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

No seriously, perhaps an American can correct me, but I believe some of the core reasons that make football the world's game are the same ones that turn off American audiences. Here are just a few:

1. It is a poor man's sport. No need for special equipment or pitches. Indeed, I've played it barefoot, on a dirt road with bricks for goal posts and a wad of socks for a ball! Americans seem to love their sports equipment as much as the sports they belong to. Is it simple consumerism or some sort of fetish?

2. Football is a true sport demanding incredible athleticism for 90 minutes almost straight through. Only one break between the two halves and whatever time you can sneak in during fouls, throw-ins and corner kicks. Even basketball, which is just as intense during the actual gameplay, is riddled with time-outs and breathers in addition to the fouls and out-of-bounds plays. You also get to substitute as many times as you wish and play only 48 minutes all told. And don't get me started on baseball which imo is not a sport but a game.

3. There are precious few stats in football and the ones that count, (goals) are not frequent enough for American tastes. For the rest of us it symbolizes that epic struggle for a hard-won reward. More significantly, fewer goals mean anyone can win and even the lowliest underdog might pull off an upset if they score first. There is nothing quite like the drama and anticipation of a close game and I can think of few other sports were even a nil-nil draw can evoke as much emotion.

4. Ownership - football has never really belonged to any one nation. While that comforts everyone else it seems to bug Americans for some obscure reason.

5. Competitiveness - in its 100+ year history and 17 world cups, although there have been definitive power houses, football really is an open game where anyone can win. e.g. even with the grueling World cup qualifications and knock off process, 7 different countries have lifted the trophy. I sometimes think that Americans like to have a top dog to gun for. In football, even Brazil is beatable. Perhaps this uncertainty is disconcerting? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've often wondered why it's not popular here. Probably a stubborn independent streak that kept rugby and soccer from catching on. Our three most popular sports are home grown. BUT, most kids here do play soccer. It's almost as prevalent as little league (baseball). Most high schools have soccer teams. It just has never caught on at the collegiate or professional level.

This has been a pretty light-hearted and fun thread to date. Why do you take such a judgemental tone about my country. Have you lived here for any length of time?

Jetbuff
06-23-2006, 11:44 PM
Not being judgemental huggy, just inquiring. I want to know why because it doesn't make sense. As to the 'harsher' comments, they were made tongue in cheek. Maybe I should've sprinkled a few more smileys in there? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

csThor
06-23-2006, 11:55 PM
It's probably a combination of several things.

a) History

Maybe the independent streak in their character (as a nation) drove the USA into some kind of "sports isolation". Kinda like "We've got ours, they've got theirs".
Nowadays this is probably less important, but there are other hurdles for football becoming popular.

b) Careful teaching & training

No, I'm not talking about the player's training here. I'm talking about "media training", i.e. teaching the customer (the fan) what to watch and what to like. I've watched some hockey matches from the NHL, even American Football once or twice and I could never shirk the feeling that these sports are optimized for advertisement breaks. It's a big business for the media corporations so they support the sport which is offering them the best for their bucks (= most time for placing ads). Football has just one break of 15 minutes so there's no chance for additional ad breaks and less income from advertising contracts. And since the media and the advertizing business are some of the biggest investors in sports they're - of course - prefering Baseball, hockey or American football as they can get a better ROI rate.

WTE_Googly
06-24-2006, 05:53 AM
While the subject is on humour, sports, and of course alchohol, I thought you might enjoy this from John Cleese.

Revocation of the Independence of USA (John Cleese)

----------------------------
Recently, John Cleese read this out to an audience in America:

To the citizens of the United States of America, in the light of your
failure to elect a competent President of the USA and thus to govern
yourselves, we hereby give notice of the revocation of your
independence,effective today.

Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will resume monarchical duties over
all states, commonwealths and other territories. Except Utah, which she does
not fancy.

Your new Prime Minister (The Right Honourable Tony Blair, MP for the 97.85%
of you who have until now been unaware that there is a world outside your
borders) will appoint a Minister for America without the need for further
elections.

Congress and the Senate will be disbanded.

A questionnaire will be circulated next year to determine whether any of you
noticed. To aid in the transition to a British Crown Dependency, the
following rules are introduced with immediate effect:

1. You should look up "revocation" in the Oxford English Dictionary. Then
look up "aluminium." Check the pronunciation guide. You will be amazed at
just how wrongly you have been pronouncing it. The letter 'U' will be
reinstated in words such as 'favour' and 'neighbour'; skipping the letter
'U' is nothing more than laziness on your part. Likewise, you will learn to
spell 'doughnut' without skipping half the letters.

You will end your love affair with the letter 'Z' (pronounced 'zed' not
'zee') and the suffix "ize" will be replaced by the suffix "ise." You will
learn that the suffix 'burgh' is pronounced 'burra' e.g. Edinburgh. You are
welcome to re-spell Pittsburgh as 'Pittsberg' if you can't cope with correct
pronunciation.

Generally, you should raise your vocabulary to acceptable levels. Look up
vocabulary." Using the same thirty seven words interspersed with filler
noises such as "uhh", "like", and "you know" is an unacceptable and
inefficient form of communication. Look up "interspersed."

There will be no more 'bleeps' in the Jerry Springer show. If you're not old
enough to cope with bad language then you shouldn't have chat shows.
Then you learn to develop your vocabulary, then you won't have to use bad
language as often.

2. There is no such thing as "US English." We will let Microsoft know on
your behalf. The Microsoft spell-checker will be adjusted to take account
of the reinstated letter 'u' and the elimination of "-ize."

3. You should learn to distinguish the English and Australian accents. It
really isn't that hard. English accents are not limited to cockney,
upper-class twit or Mancunian (Daphne in Frasier). You will also have to
learn how to understand regional accents --- Scottish dramas such
as&gt;"Taggart" will no longer be broadcast with subtitles.
While we're talking about regions, you must learn that there is no such
place as Devonshire in England. The name of the county is "Devon." If you
persist in calling it Devonshire, all American States will become "shires"
e.g. Texasshire, Floridashire, Louisianashire.

4. Hollywood will be required occasionally to cast English actors as the
good guys. Hollywood will be required to cast English actors to play English
characters.
British sit-coms such as "Men Behaving Badly" or "Red Dwarf" will not be
re-cast and watered down for a wishy-washy American audience who can't cope
with the humour of occasional political incorrectness.

5. You should relearn your original national anthem, "God Save The Queen",
but only after fully carrying out task 1. We would not want you to get
confused and give up half way through.

6. You should stop playing American "football." There is only one kind of
football. What you refer to as American "football" is not a very good
game.The 2.15% of you who are aware that there is a world outside your
borders may have noticed that no one else plays "American" football. You
will no longer be allowed to play it, and should instead play proper
football.

Initially, it would be best if you played with the girls. It is a
Difficult game. Those of you brave enough will, in time, be allowed to play
rugby which is similar to American "football", but does not involve stopping
for a rest every twenty seconds or wearing full kevlar body armour like
nancies).We are hoping to get together at least a US Rugby sevens side by

You should stop playing baseball. It is not reasonable to host an event
called the 'World Series' for a game which is not played outside of America.
Since only 2.15% of you are aware that there is a world beyond your borders,
your error is understandable. Instead of baseball, you will
be allowed to play a girls' game called "rounders," which is baseball
without fancy team strip, oversized gloves, collector cards or hotdogs.

7. You will no longer be allowed to own or carry guns. You will no longer be
allowed to own or carry anything more dangerous in public than a vegetable
peeler. Because we don't believe you are sensible enough to handle
potentially dangerous items, you will require a permit if you wish to carry
a vegetable peeler in public.

8. July 4th is no longer a public holiday. November 2nd will be a new
national holiday, but only in England. It will be called "Indecisive Day."

9. All American cars are hereby banned. They are ****, and it is for your
own good. When we show you German cars, you will understand what we
mean.

All road intersections will be replaced with roundabouts. You will start
driving on the left with immediate effect. At the same time, you will go
metric with immediate effect and without the benefit of conversion tables.
Roundabouts and metrication will help you understand the British sense of
humour.

10. You will learn to make real chips. Those things you call 'French
fries'are not real chips. Fries aren't even French, they are Belgian Though
97.85% of you (including the guy who discovered fries while in Europe) are
not aware of a country called Belgium. Those things you insist on calling
potato chips are properly called "crisps." Real chips are thick cut and
fried in animal fat. The traditional accompaniment to chips is beer which
should be served warm and flat. Waitresses will be trained to be more
aggressive with customers.

11. As a sign of penance 5 grams of sea salt per cup will be added to all
tea made within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, this quantity to be
doubled for tea made within the city of Boston itself.

12. The cold tasteless stuff you insist on calling "beer" is not actually
beer at all, it is lager. From November 1st only proper British Bitter will
be referred to as "beer," and European brews of known and accepted
provenance will be referred to as "Lager." The substances formerly known as
"American Beer" will henceforth be referred to as "Near-Frozen Gnat's
Urine," with the exception of the product of the American Budweiser company
whose product will be referred to as "Weak Near-Frozen Gnat's Urine." This
will allow true Budweiser (as manufactured for the last 1000 years in the
Czech Republic) to be sold without risk of confusion.

13. From November 10th the UK will harmonise petrol (or "gasoline," as you
will be permitted to keep calling it until April 1st 2005) prices with the
former USA. The UK will harmonise its prices to those of the former USA and
the Former USA will, in return, adopt UK petrol price (roughly $6/US
gallon -- get used to it).

14. You will learn to resolve personal issues without using guns, lawyers or
therapists. The fact that you need so many lawyers and therapists shows that
you're not adult enough to be independent. Guns should only be handled by
adults. If you're not adult enough to sort things out without suing
someone or speaking to a therapist, then you're not grown up enough to
handle a gun.

15. Please tell us who killed JFK. It's been driving us crazy.

16. Tax collectors from Her Majesty's Government will be with you shortly to
ensure the acquisition of all revenues due (backdated to 1776).

Thank you for your co-operation.
------------------------------

Got to love John Cleese lol.

As to the best sport, I would say it would have to be rugby union, closely followed by cricket, I just love those sports.

Don't particularly like watching soccer anymore, even though I do watch the world cup. I hate it how they lighten the ball to make goals more spectacular and from further out, mind you it is probably because I play in the position of goalkeeper, and as that American coach said "Goalkeepers would not be happy unless the ball was heavy and square" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Platypus_1.JaVA
06-24-2006, 06:09 AM
I know why americans don't like soccer, they just suck at it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/crackwhip.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Blutarski2004
06-24-2006, 06:40 AM
You know what I find fascinating? No, it's not the fact that American "football" has little to do with actually footing the ball, nor is it that Americans would actually complain that football (the real one) was less engaging than baseball or American football. What amazes me is that they call all the championships for these pretty proprietary sports "World" championships. e.g. I don't get how baseball can end in a world series? (who else is involved besides the US and a couple of Canadian teams?) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

..... A thought which has puzzled me as well. Maybe because once upon a time, baseball was only meaningfully played in the US. The introduction of baseball to other parts of the world - Latin America, Japan, S Korea, Canada, was the result of US influences over a long period of time. It's worth noting that there was this year the first (IIRC) truly world chamionship elimination tourney featuring teams from multiple nations. The US did not win.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> No seriously, perhaps an American can correct me, but I believe some of the core reasons that make football the world's game are the same ones that turn off American audiences. Here are just a few:

1. It is a poor man's sport. No need for special equipment or pitches. Indeed, I've played it barefoot, on a dirt road with bricks for goal posts and a wad of socks for a ball! Americans seem to love their sports equipment as much as the sports they belong to. Is it simple consumerism or some sort of fetish? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

..... Not so. We play a city version of baseball with broomsticks and rubber balls, even half of rubber balls when they have split. I've played hockey with my feet and an old crushed milk carton in school hallways during class recess. We're no different here than anywhere else. We play with what is available when the mood strikes. Hell, we even play football with frisbees.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> 2. Football is a true sport demanding incredible athleticism for 90 minutes almost straight through. Only one break between the two halves and whatever time you can sneak in during fouls, throw-ins and corner kicks. Even basketball, which is just as intense during the actual gameplay, is riddled with time-outs and breathers in addition to the fouls and out-of-bounds plays. You also get to substitute as many times as you wish and play only 48 minutes all told. And don't get me started on baseball which imo is not a sport but a game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

..... Since I've played both European football (US soccer) and baseball on an organized level, I feel uniquely qualified to comment on this point. Without question, European football is a game which requires great athletic skills, situational awareness, and physical endurance. Years of practice are required to develop proper ball-handling and passing skills.

Baseball is a very different sport in nature, much more formalized than soccer, but one which nevertheless imposes tremendous skill demands upon those who play it. Each player must take his turn at bat and face the opposing pitcher. The pitcher throws a leather-wrapped ball of 75mm diameter from a distance of about 20 meters at speeds up to 150 kph, attempting to make the ball pass through an imaginary target approx 60cm tall x 30 cm wide. The batter defends that target armed with a "bat" about 1 meter long and about 75mm wide at its thickest point. The batter's job is to hit the 75mm ball travelling at 150 kph in such a manner that the other 8 players behind the pitcher cannot catch it in the air. This is, of course, very simplified. I can tell you from personal experience that just reliably throwing a ball into the target zone more than 50 pct of the time is a matter of great skill; doing so in a manner which prevents the batter from hitting it required even greater skill. OTOH, correctly and safely hitting a thrown pitch is, in terms of hand-eye coordination, an extremely difficult effort. The very best baseball players only succeed in doing so 3 times in 10 batting attempts. You cannot imagine how challenging this can be without trying it yourself; it's not easy. When the ball is finally hit on the field of play, every defensive fielder = a soccer goalie. Even then, once he has caught the ball, he must know what to do with it. The tactical situation is alway changing, depending upon the number of men "on base", the number of "outs" in the "inning", even the score of the game. In that sense, the game also demands a great deal of thinking and situational awareness.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> 3. There are precious few stats in football and the ones that count, (goals) are not frequent enough for American tastes. For the rest of us it symbolizes that epic struggle for a hard-won reward. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

..... Absolutely untrue and indicative of a lack of true understanding of the American sports fan. One of the most prized moments in baseball is the achievement of a "no-hitter" by a baseball pitcher - i.e., a complete game in which the opposing side has been unable to make a safe hit. Believe me when I tell you that no one will leave his seat in the stadium while there is a chance for a no-hit game to be completed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> More significantly, fewer goals mean anyone can win and even the lowliest underdog might pull off an upset if they score first. There is nothing quite like the drama and anticipation of a close game and I can think of few other sports were even a nil-nil draw can evoke as much emotion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

..... I quite agree that there is great drama in a close game, and more drama when the underdog emerges as the victor. Believe me when I say that baseball is absolutely about such drama; it is inherent in the game. A game, a season, even a championship, can hinge upon a single thrown pitch.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> 4. Ownership - football has never really belonged to any one nation. While that comforts everyone else it seems to bug Americans for some obscure reason. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

..... No idea how you have come to believe such a thing. America has adopted any number of sports from other nations. Soccer is played in schools across the country. If there is any difference between the American view of sports versus that of other nations, it is that our attention is divided among so many different ones.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> 5. Competitiveness - in its 100+ year history and 17 world cups, although there have been definitive power houses, football really is an open game where anyone can win. e.g. even with the grueling World cup qualifications and knock off process, 7 different countries have lifted the trophy. I sometimes think that Americans like to have a top dog to gun for. In football, even Brazil is beatable. Perhaps this uncertainty is disconcerting? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

..... Another untrue impression. While the mighty team or athlete is always highly regarded (Brazil does not despise its national football team because of its tremendous success over the years), the greatest sports achievements of this nation have been those accomplished by the underdog. Americans always respond to the underdog. I could fill a page with such examples - 1968 NBA basketball championship, 1960 and 2004 baseball World Series championships, 2004 NFL Super Bowl championship; I could go on. We are no different than anyone else in our response to that aspect of sports.

R_Target
06-24-2006, 07:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Platypus_1.JaVA:
I know why americans don't like soccer, they just suck at it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/crackwhip.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True. The good thing is that nobody cares. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

LStarosta
06-24-2006, 08:46 AM
Quite a pity.

I hope the U.S. wins the cup in 4 years so that our domination of the world will finally be complete... for the next 4 years anyway.

I_KG100_Prien
06-24-2006, 08:55 AM
Budweiser is piss water. Always has been, always will be. I can't stand the stuff really. I've always liked the European beers I've tried much more. It's claim as the "King of Beers" is such garbage, and is insulting to anybody or anything that has had a touch of royalty to it.

As for Soccer (yes I'm a yank), of the few team sports I played when I was growing up, I found it to be the most enjoyable and exciting to play... Good pace of action, I never found myself wandering off into daydreams waiting for something to happen.. Not to mention it was great excercise. Kept me in good shape and it didn't matter that I wasn't particularly stellar at playing it.

American Football... It's a lot better to watch in person than on TV (like many sports). It doesn't seem to slow down when you're actually in the stadium.

I will agree with Basketball though.. It's not much of a team sport these days with way too much emphasis on the "Lebron James's" of the game.. Wayyy too much ego on the part of some of the "Superstars" of the sport. They want it all about them and not the team they play for.

Anyway, thats just a take from a Terrorist Fearing, G.W Bush brainwashed, Cheeseburger scarfing fat arsed, ball-scratching, wellfare collecting couch potato American. (Well according to the crooked, yellow toothed, fat woman loving, piss pot wearing Limeys who like to wallow in ignorance and stereotype others because they are for some reason still pissed off that the sun sets on their wrecked little empire daily. Long live the Queen who doesn't actually rule anything, and is more of a symbol of a era long gone).

*********DISCLAIMER************
Last bit of this post was just a joke, I'm not fat, nor scared. Nor do I think ill of our English cousins.. I have nothing but respect for you all. However I do get so d@mn sick of some of the Ignorant arse-hatted ones who feel it's required to bag on someone else when they don't even know what the F*ck they are talking about.

LStarosta
06-24-2006, 09:30 AM
I am fat, scratch my balls, eat too many cheeseburgers and collect welfare from my parents.

R_Target
06-24-2006, 10:06 AM
I think we can all agree that Bud sucks. I'll never forget the morning after the night I drank my last Budweiser. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

ploughman
06-24-2006, 10:15 AM
I_KG100_Prien, not everyone who posts something 'anti-American' on this forum is necessarily English. They could very well be Welsh. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Gold_Monkey
06-24-2006, 10:25 AM
I gotta wonder about any sport where you hit the ball with your head. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

LStarosta
06-24-2006, 01:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gold_Monkey:
I gotta wonder about any sport where you hit the ball with your head. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd be more concerned about a sport where "athletes" weigh 300lbs, no?

I_KG100_Prien
06-24-2006, 02:06 PM
I_KG100_Prien, not everyone who posts something 'anti-American' on this forum is necessarily English. They could very well be Welsh. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Silly me. Carry on as usual then! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

(sides, I was talkin bout everyone!) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif

Blutarski2004
06-24-2006, 02:40 PM
I'd be more concerned about a sport where "athletes" weigh 300lbs, no? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

..... Sumo wrestling? Weight lifting?

How about when that 300 lb "athlete" can run 40 meters in &lt; 5 seconds in full football equipment?

Is Shaquille O'Neal an athlete?

StellarRat
06-24-2006, 02:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mortoma1958:
It takes 24 american beers to get you buzzed?? Try about 3 for me, but I only drink a beer or two every two months on average.
Just can't hold alcohol anymore. If I drank 24 beers, I'd probably die of alcohol poisoning. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>A bit of fun there. I don't know how many it takes. I haven't drank Bud for years. But, going by the alcohol content vs. Euro Beers (3.2% vs. 5% - 7%), I'd say it would take 6 - 8 to match what 3 Euro beers have in them. Assuming you could stomach that many tasteless beers and you had quick access to a bathroom...

ploughman
06-24-2006, 02:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by I_KG100_Prien:
I_KG100_Prien, not everyone who posts something 'anti-American' on this forum is necessarily English. They could very well be Welsh. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Silly me. Carry on as usual then! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

(sides, I was talkin bout everyone!) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But you can't completely exclude the possiblity that the Welsh might be behind it? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

StellarRat
06-24-2006, 02:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blutarski2004:

How about when that 300 lb "athlete" can run 40 meters in &lt; 5 seconds in full football equipment?

Is Shaquille O'Neal an athlete? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You have a point, but there is mounting evidence that many of these guys are having heart problems later in life from packing on pounds for their sport. If I remember correctly a lot of sumo wrestlers have died from heart problems.

LStarosta
06-24-2006, 03:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blutarski2004:
I'd be more concerned about a sport where "athletes" weigh 300lbs, no? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is Shaquille O'Neal an athlete? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shaq is also practically 7 feet tall.

That's all funny because 40m isn't even the length of my yard.

Anyone can run that in under 5 seconds using pure ****** strength.

WWSensei
06-24-2006, 04:13 PM

1. It is a poor man's sport. No need for special equipment or pitches. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Couldn't be more wrong. Most kids growing up playing either American football or baseball need only an open field or street and a ball. Add a stick if it is baseball.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">2. Football is a true sport demanding incredible athleticism for 90 minutes almost straight through. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you don't think baseball is a sport (and one I happen to find boring) then you obviously have never tried to a hit ball thrown by someone who can throw. It's been rated as the most difficult physical act to perfect. A player who can hit 25%-30% of the time is consider one of the best.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">3. There are precious few stats in football and the ones that count, (goals) are not frequent enough for American tastes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow. I'm not sure how exactly someone can be so completly out of tune. While Americans do like scoring to think we have to have it means you've never truly seen and watched a game. In baseball a pitcher is measured by how well he can make the opponents miss the ball. A team's greatest stat to achieve is the "Perfect Game"--a game considered flawless because the opponent never makes to base because the pitcher was flawless.

The "goal line stand" in American football, where defenders STOP the opponents from scoring is more wildly cheered and more wildly respected than the team scoring.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">4. Ownership - football has never really belonged to any one nation. While that comforts everyone else it seems to bug Americans for some obscure reason. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Another WOW. Could you be just a little more condescending? This one is the biggest bunch of horse manure I've seen. Amercians could care less who "owns" a sport. Sorry, but this just display a colossal amount of ignorance about the general American mindset.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">5. Competitiveness - in its 100+ year history and 17 world cups, although there have been definitive power houses, football really is an open game where anyone can win. e.g. even with the grueling World cup qualifications and knock off process, 7 different countries have lifted the trophy. I sometimes think that Americans like to have a top dog to gun for. In football, even Brazil is beatable. Perhaps this uncertainty is disconcerting? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope. Again, a lack of understanding here. For example, in American football, teams are purposely re-arranged to balance out the skill sets. Salaries are capped so one team cannot just outspend another in the talent hunt. When it is time to draft new players into the league it is the team with the worst record who picks first and the best team picks last. It's rare for any one team to win back to back titles and putting 3 of them together is often referred to as a Dynasty. Nothing would kill interest in a sport faster for Americans than for it to be dominated by one team.

Not sure where or why you would think "uncertainty" is something Americans don't like. Quite the contrary--Americans almost always cheer for the underdog. 99% of the time it's the Davids we cheer for not the Goliaths.

Soccer isn't popular here because it simply is a sport that very few kids are exposed to until recently. There was no grand conspiracy, no plot no "cultural" issues it's just fairly new to the US. In time it will grow. IN the last 20 years it's gone from an osbsure sport to most Americans to one where soccer clubs, soccer camps and soccer teams at the elementary and high school are common. It's not as popular as our "football" or baseball because it's competing with about 5 times as long of history.

Baseball is a sport enjoyed by many nations as diverse as Cuba, Japan and the US. We don't look at the rest of the world and say "well, obviously they are just inferior or they would like it too." as many of you do to us about soccer. See, we understand you just don't have a history of the sport.

As for some of the other clearly anti-American sentiments expressed by others in this thread I'd be careful walking around looking down my nose so much....you might drown when it rains.

It's clear that many of you realy, really have no understanding of the average American mindset.

ploughman
06-24-2006, 04:16 PM
Well, I think the original poster can remove the word humourous from the title of this thread now.

Lucius_Esox
06-24-2006, 04:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Well, I think the original poster can remove the word humourous from the title of this thread now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Roflol http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Truly laughed out loud at that one heheh

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

WTE_Googly
06-24-2006, 05:08 PM
Some people are taking the FAR too seriously

so I'm IBTL.

carguy_
06-24-2006, 05:52 PM
Well, I think the original poster can remove the word humourous from the title of this thread now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Surrounded fortress complex IIRC. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

WWSensei
06-24-2006, 06:16 PM
Well, I think the original poster can remove the word humourous from the title of this thread now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could have done that back on page 1 when the humor went to just another America bashing thread. FWIW, I thought Cleese's post was hilarious.

As for my post I wasn't attempting to insult the poster, just pointing out their misconceptions in thinking what motivates American sports fans. So far, haven't seen a single non-American come even close.

berg417448
06-24-2006, 06:20 PM
I think that the problem lies in perception and experience or should I say lack of experience?

Many Europeans think American football is boring because they do not have the experience to appreciate what is actually taking place. They don€t perceive the strategy, the nuances, the games going on within the game. They can€t, for example, appreciate it when a cornerback like Deion Sanders used to lay off a wide receiver a bit in order to bait the quarterback into making a throw, all the while knowing he had the recovery speed to make the pick. They don€t notice that while there is a short break after every play, all 22 players are going (with many hitting) at full speed during the play, not just the ones near the ball.

Of course, this also applies to those Americans who have not been exposed to European football. They don€t have the experience to appreciate the game and all that it offers for those who really understand it. That is probably changing as the game has gotten more popular over the years and the current World Cup is getting a lot more TV time than you might expect.

Blutarski2004
06-24-2006, 08:04 PM

Anyone can run that in under 5 seconds using pure ****** strength. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

..... Shaq is not "practically" 7 feet tall. He's over 7 feet tall. And he weighs over 300 lbs. And he is a highly effective athlete in his chosen sport.

If you think that running 40 meters in &lt; 5 seconds while wearing about 15 kilos of protective pads and assorted football gear is easy, try it yourself. Let me know what kind of time you make.

I_KG100_Prien
06-24-2006, 09:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWSensei:

Could have done that back on page 1 when the humor went to just another America bashing thread. FWIW, I thought Cleese's post was hilarious.

As for my post I wasn't attempting to insult the poster, just pointing out their misconceptions in thinking what motivates American sports fans. So far, haven't seen a single non-American come even close. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1000000% Behind Sensei.

This thread started in humor, and yes it could have stayed that way if certain individuals had not decided to take the opportunity to look down upon something they, as Sensei pointed out , have absolutely no idea about.

Cracking jokes is one thing. I'll crack a joke at anybody including myself. But to flat out bash on something when you smell of ignorance is entirely different. Distasteful.

It's also shouldn't be surprising when false input is put in about someones country of origin and culture, that someone somewhere is going to stand up and defend it. It's called Patriotism. I would say that most people here, from the USA to... whatever country.. love their home and don't like to see it attacked in any way. Especially by those who know little to nothing of it.

At least I know I will. I love my country, despite some of the flaws it has. Born, raised, and I shall be buried here when the time comes. I serve my country with pride.. Even if doing so may put me in an early grave. Huzzah and all that.

Not everyody here agrees one everything. Discussion boards are for discussing things, and even though this board is here for the discussion of a Flight Simulator we all love to play... We don't always have anything to say about it all the time and as a community we de-rail down other topics. The only bad part about it is, too often do they de-rail into some flame fest because one person can't resist throwing in some Politically Minded, or Patriotic sucker punch and soon a light hearted thread can turn into something else.

Ah well.. Lets just leave it at Soccer is Football, Football is well.. Football, and all sports at least have one thing in common.. They all go better with a nice cold cup/glass/bottle of ones favorite Suds.

(I still refuse to blame it on the Welsh.. They were good bowman back in the day...)

LStarosta
06-24-2006, 09:42 PM

Anyone can run that in under 5 seconds using pure ****** strength. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

..... Shaq is not "practically" 7 feet tall. He's over 7 feet tall. And he weighs over 300 lbs. And he is a highly effective athlete in his chosen sport.

If you think that running 40 meters in &lt; 5 seconds while wearing about 15 kilos of protective pads and assorted football gear is easy, try it yourself. Let me know what kind of time you make. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd have to gain 150 lbs first to make it fair for them.

WWMaxGunz
06-24-2006, 10:30 PM
Wow. Whut a thred.

We played soccer in school from the mid-60's to mid-70's. And US football and baseball but
never have I ever played cricket. Badminton once, croquet once, even water polo but never
cricket or real polo. And basketball, we played that and elbows to ribs on every jump.
And field hockey and ice hockey but rarely either one. And the girls played lacrosse, if
they had given us guys the sticks then we'd have needed an ambulance on hand. Bad enough
with the hockey but there the sticks are not held high at default, it's easier to see who is
making a bad move. And rugby... yer supposedta get hurt, it's rugby innit?

I liked soccer the best. We kept moving most of the time instead of standing around most of
the time. It's a lot like basketball in that context except the field has enough length and
width to really get a move on.

I must be weird because as much as I liked playing sports I get nothing from watching others
play them. Well, maybe almost nothing. Watching a good play is a moment to itself but I
just don't get off on watching a game.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The other side of the thread is beer. That 2 weeks if they took that long mass-produced
excuse to get money out of chemicalized watered down alcohol from the big US brewers is
one of Americas biggest self insults I know. Whoever in FIFA made that pact with A-B
should be tarred and feathered publicly in a free world broadcast event after being fined
for every cent they were paid by A-B. A-B products should also be banned from all future
FIFA events just to teach them not to be such dicks. Their actions make the US look bad
and only portray what is really the manners of a loud, pushy minority here who think they
rule everything because they control more than their self-stuffed ***es are worth.

Treetop64
06-25-2006, 12:28 AM
Budwieser: Beer for those who don't know better.

BTW, what the hell's up with all the America bashing? I know the States isn't the world's favorite country, but dood...

Ratsack
06-25-2006, 04:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWSensei:

If you don't think baseball is a sport (and one I happen to find boring) then you obviously have never tried to a hit ball thrown by someone who can throw. It's been rated as the most difficult physical act to perfect. A player who can hit 25%-30% of the time is consider one of the best.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, it€s harder to hit the ball in cricket. There€s been a number of tests done on this, but it€s basically a no-brainer. In addition to the bastage hurling the ball AT you rather than into a striking zone, the ball usually hits the pitch first. The pitch is not flat. It is a strip of rolled sod with a bit of dying grass attempting poke through, and a few cracks to boot. These latter get worse as the match progresses. There are also the foot marks from the bowlers€ follow-through. The pitch is not a nice thing, and the fact that it€s not smooth or even is considered part of the charm of the game. The ability to deal with the vagaries of variable bounce and unpredictable line is what sets the great batsmen apart. It€s also what covers them with bruises.

Yes, it€s a truly civilized game. You have a chain of uneven earth and a rock-hard ball (much harder than a baseball), and you get to chuck it at some bloke, ALL DAY. Not only that, you€re not just ALLOWED to aim it at him: it€s expected of you that you€ll aim at least one in every 6-10 deliveries at this idiot€s HEAD. It€s considered bad form if you don€t: they€ll think you€re not taking them seriously unless you try to draw blood. To make it fair, they give the batsman a stick so he can defend himself.

Now, that€s a civilized game!

Cheers,
Ratsack

Jetbuff
06-25-2006, 06:11 AM
OK, let's clear up the air a bit here. I meant no insult to anyone with my post (nor condescension - you know me better than that Sensei) nor have I taken any. I don't get why everyone is so touchy when it comes to discussing anything US?

As for baseball being "difficult", I may have not played the game professionally but I didn't find it that challenging back in highschool. However, that wasn't my argument in the first place. My argument was that, imo, there was precious little overall athleticism involved. Sure you needed to be pretty strong and coordinated to throw, hit or even catch the ball but it seems that you don't necessarily have to be fit - or at least nowhere near as fit as you have to be for most other sports.

As for American football, I acknowledge that I simply don't have the wherewithall to actually watch an entire game or learn the ins and outs of it so I'll accept the counterarguments.

I never said there was a plot against soccer in the US or that Americans were somehow prejudiced against it. Quite the contrary, I was wondering why it has taken so long to sprout roots there and still has a relatively shaky future without resorting to the rather poor argument (both in taste and weight) that it was simply because of poor results. Some of you have helped clarify that in between getting aggravated and for that I am thankful.

Note to self: never talk about the US again before first donning flamesuit... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Jetbuff
06-25-2006, 06:15 AM
Shifting gears, anyone watch last night's marathon game between Argentina and Mexico? What a spectacle eh?

han freak solo
06-25-2006, 08:27 AM
"1. It is a poor man's sport."

Totally agree. To play full speed, full contact American Football or Hockey, you better suit up. Even baseball requires more equipment than futbol.

Full speed futbol, put on some cleats and a jock strap. Full speed basketball is about the same as futbol, just sneakers and a jockstrap. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

My American exposure to soccer(futbol) was a pure accident. I grew up with my dad being the typical American athlete and coach of American football, baseball, and basketball.

He never told me about soccer, I found out about it from a friend when I was in 6th grade and played that same year (1976). It was just a little league sport here in Texas when the high school I attended finally fielded a team in 1982. Until that year my dad didn't recognize soccer as a real sport.

"2. Football is a true sport demanding incredible athleticism for 90 minutes almost straight through."

Yeah, if you play mid-fielder you never stop running. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

TV

I played soccer for 21 years and I never liked watching the game on TV. If it ain't World Cup level it's boring.

beer

Budweiser does have its place y'all. True, it has no flavor.

Bud light, Coors light, Miller light is best for drunken outdoor sports during the hottest times of the summer. Redneck Gatorade, Redneck Gatorade. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

huggy87
06-25-2006, 09:48 AM
At 31 I grew up with soccer as a kid. Listening to some of you old timers around here http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif it sounds like soccer didn't catch on until I was the seventies. Did Pele have a lot to do with it?

tjaika1910
06-25-2006, 10:18 AM
I tasted an american beer recently. It was beautiful. I think it was called Samuel Adams something.

Is this known to you americans or is it a microbrewery?

I could gladly put it on a top 20 list of beers I have tasted.

ploughman
06-25-2006, 01:36 PM

As for my post I wasn't attempting to insult the poster, just pointing out their misconceptions in thinking what motivates American sports fans. So far, haven't seen a single non-American come even close. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The first page is mostly about beer. HK certainly went a bit anti-Americano but why don't you grow a skin and get over it? One bad post and you're crying for the umpire?

Not impressed by your whining.

berg417448
06-25-2006, 01:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tjaika1910:
I tasted an american beer recently. It was beautiful. I think it was called Samuel Adams something.

Is this known to you americans or is it a microbrewery?

I could gladly put it on a top 20 list of beers I have tasted. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sam Adams products are available most places in the US as far as I know.

WWSensei
06-25-2006, 02:04 PM

The first page is mostly about beer. HK certainly went a bit anti-Americano but why don't you grow a skin and get over it? One bad post and you're crying for the umpire?

Not impressed by your whining. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't complain about the beer posts. They are right, American beer sucks.

I make one post correcting misperceptions and you start crying about an American daring to challenge the all so mighty opinions?

I make one pro-American post after 5 pages of numerous slams, misconceptions and pontificating on the American mindset and you strt crying about the humor yet I'm the one with the thin skin?

Jettbuff's post wasn't bad. At worst it was misinformed about American mindsets on sports. I posted where he may have gotten a completely wrong impression. YOU are the one the couldn't take a single post that didn't conform to the theme of "Americans don't like soccer because they are inferior." that permeated the whole thread.

I didn't call for an umpire or a change in subject line after one post. You did. Yours is the skin that needs to add a bit.

WWSensei
06-25-2006, 02:14 PM
OK, let's clear up the air a bit here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jetbuff, I wasn't insulted by your post. Surprised at the lack of understanding of the American sports fan mindset, yes, but not insulted. There were other posters who were just blatantly anti-American and merely took the opportunity to post another rant. It was to them I had more, shall we say, "feeling" toward.

If you felt I was slamming you I apologize. I felt your post, even if taken in the very worst light possible, was at worst ignorance of the American mindset on sports and not intended as a direct slam at the US.

I used your post to respond to because I've seen many Europeans espouse the same beliefs (i.e. Americans must prefer a reigning champ and don't like that anybody can win) when the exact opposite is true. If I came across as harsh or flaming I apologize again as I really didn't think you were trying to be insulting.

ploughman
06-25-2006, 02:48 PM

Not impressed by your whining. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't complain about the beer posts. They are right, American beer sucks.

I make one post correcting misperceptions and you start crying about an American daring to challenge the all so mighty opinions?

I make one pro-American post after 5 pages of numerous slams, misconceptions and pontificating on the American mindset and you strt crying about the humor yet I'm the one with the thin skin?

Jettbuff's post wasn't bad. At worst it was misinformed about American mindsets on sports. I posted where he may have gotten a completely wrong impression. YOU are the one the couldn't take a single post that didn't conform to the theme of "Americans don't like soccer because they are inferior." that permeated the whole thread.

I didn't call for an umpire or a change in subject line after one post. You did. Yours is the skin that needs to add a bit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure thing. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Look mate, I lived in your fair nation for a few years, I have family in Memphis and Arkansas and Chicago, I really enjoyed spending time in the USA and also value what your nation has brought to the world. Why not have a cup of tea or whatever rattles your cage and let's just kiss and make up agree we've more incommon than against and leave it at that. Eh?

LStarosta
06-25-2006, 02:49 PM
http://www.mychoiceusa.com/american%20pride/USflag5.jpg

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

This officially hereby thereupon etc etc. cancels out any anti-American sentiments percieved or otherwise understood in this thread.

LStarosta
UBI Ameriwhiner Minister of Information

LStarosta
06-25-2006, 02:55 PM
PS we will win the World Cup one day, just you watch and see.

Jetbuff
06-25-2006, 03:38 PM
No worries Sensei. I never take offence over a simple discussion.
PS we will win the World Cup one day, just you watch and see. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That'll be the day I quit watching it! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

J/K... I really do hope the US do well in soccer because it will only increase the fan base and that's always a good thing.

Side note to any would-be US fans, today's game between Portugal and the Netherlands is a lesson in how not to play the game. Truly shameful.

LW_lcarp
06-25-2006, 09:24 PM
American beer sucks. But as you can only get 4 product at most bars over here on tap Miller, Miller Lite, Budwieser and Budwieser Light, Ill fill my frosty mug with a Miller. Its tastes more like beer then water run thru a dirty sock.

As far as the sports thing to each there own I like to watch racing but to the stick and ball diehards thats not a sport.

IKG26Redcoat
06-26-2006, 06:44 AM
I think its a shame that there isnt a bigger fanbase for football in the US. Ive read the american retorts about diving and play acting in games, and that behavour really pisses me off too.
Then Ive read the response to the americans saying that all your national sports are rubbish, and with that much armour on, you could drop players off the empire state building with no more result than a gentle bounce.
But the real fact of the matter is that the World Cup does what it says on the tin. Its your nation against the rest of the world.
Just getting there is an achievement. Almost every nation on earth tries for it, which is why national pride becomes a big deal. You dont just win a trophy, you beat the class of the world to get it.
When americans sneer at "euro soccer" (its not euro, it the entire world, including the US, and its not soccer, its football, ie played with the feet and not your hands, clues in the name..), I just think its a damn shame, because like it or not, the USA has a team, and the world is watching. And the US team put up a respectable enough performance, and I think they deserved more backing from one of the biggest nations in the world.
Just my humble opinion...

han freak solo
06-26-2006, 07:08 AM
At 31 I grew up with soccer as a kid. Listening to some of you old timers around here http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif it sounds like soccer didn't catch on until I was the seventies. Did Pele have a lot to do with it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pele was in his prime before my time. He was a legend in my time for sure, though. I think many of the generation before mine, that loved soccer in the US, definitely knew of Pele and possibly saw him play. I did get to see reel-to-reel film footage of Pele during his World Cup performances while attending a soccer camp as a kid. He played in the US in the 70's for a few years, but I still didn't know much of his greatness at the time.

Texas, and probably the US, had a surge of soccer interest in the '70s. There were two pro soccer teams here then. The Dallas Tornado and the Houston Hurricane. I got to see the Hurricane play in the Astrodome against the Chicago Sting (they were bees or something). Pretty cool at the time.

han freak solo
06-26-2006, 07:16 AM
Ancient History
http://home.att.net/~nasl/logos/Dallas_Tornado.gif http://home.att.net/~nasl/logos/Houston_Hurricane.gif http://home.att.net/~nasl/logos/Chicago_Sting.gif

From: http://home.att.net/~nasl/logos.htm (http://home.att.net/%7Enasl/logos.htm)

han freak solo
06-26-2006, 07:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by StellarRat:
But, going by the alcohol content vs. Euro Beers (3.2% vs. 5% - 7%), I'd say it would take 6 - 8 to match what 3 Euro beers have in them. Assuming you could stomach that many tasteless beers and you had quick access to a bathroom... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dang, I forgot some states in the union have 3.2% beer. You poor bastids. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif

ZyBy
06-26-2006, 07:36 AM
The United States commissioners have announced that agreement has been
reached to adopt US English as the preferred language for European
communications, rather than German, which was the other possibility. As
part of the negotiations, the British government conceded that English
spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a five-year phased
plan for what will be known as EuroEnglish (Euro for short). In the first
year, "s" will be used instead of the soft "c". Sertainly, sivil servants
will resieve this news with joy. Also, the hard "c" will be replaced with
"k". Not only will this klear up konfusion, but typewriters kan have one
less letter.
There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the
troublesome "ph" will be replaced by "f". This will make words like
"fotograf" 20 per sent shorter. In the third year, publik akseptanse of
the
new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated
changes are possible.
Governments will enkorage the removal of double letters, which have always
ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes
of silent "e"s in the languag is disgrasful, and they would go. By the
fourth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" by "z"
and "w" by " v".
During ze fifz year, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining
"ou", and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of
leters. Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted
in ze forst place....

arjisme
06-26-2006, 08:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IKG26Redcoat:
When americans sneer at "euro soccer" (its not euro, it the entire world, including the US, and its not soccer, its football, ie played with the feet and not your hands, clues in the name..), I just think its a damn shame, because like it or not, the USA has a team, and the world is watching. And the US team put up a respectable enough performance, and I think they deserved more backing from one of the biggest nations in the world. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The U.S. national team is getting more backing than ever. The sport is growing over here. It has not reached (and probably never will) the nation-consuming interest that it has in other countries, but interest is growing.

On the use of "soccer" -- please. The English invented the term "soccer" to describe this sport and it is a perfectly acceptable name for it. If you want to argue that its proper name should be "football" because it is played with the feet, then logic suggests that volleyball, basketball, handball, and baseball should all be called "handball." The naming of sports is often descriptive, but also is typically founded on its historical origins. Show some cultural sensitivity by not ****ging on Americans for having a home-grown sport called "football" that isn't soccer.

For other names of the sport, refer to this link: http://www.answers.com/topic/football-soccer-names.

AFJ_Skyghost
06-26-2006, 08:02 AM

5. Competitiveness - in its 100+ year history and 17 world cups, although there have been definitive power houses, football really is an open game where anyone can win. e.g. even with the grueling World cup qualifications and knock off process, 7 different countries have lifted the trophy. I sometimes think that Americans like to have a top dog to gun for. In football, even Brazil is beatable. Perhaps this uncertainty is disconcerting? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I fully agree with this post
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

IKG26Redcoat
06-26-2006, 08:09 AM
I think you missed the point there ar****e. Im not ****ging American Football, which has a lot of fans so it obviously appeals to some. Fair enough.
But "soccer" isnt a proper term, its slang for Association Football, like describing American Rules Football as NFL.
People might know what you're talking about, but its not the proper name. And basketball is what it sounds like, putting a ball in a basket. Vollyball sounds right as well, vollying the ball back and forth over a net, so I dont know how you get to handball. Baseball, I aint got a clue about, although you have four bases right? so that sounds true enough again. But using "football" to describe american rules has no bearing.Its not football. Its American Rules, same as Australian Rules, its a variation of one very old game, not the original.
And the original point I tried to make is that the worldcup has come and gone for the USA, and only a fraction of people even noticed. Which is, like I mentioned before, a damned shame.
When Holland play, the entire stadium is orange. When Brasil play, the stands are yellow and green. When England play, its red and white with the Cross Of St George everywhere you look.
When the US played, the fans were put in a small corner out of the way. Thats the damn shame. You could barely hear the Star Spangled Banner being sung, whereas Deutchland Uber Alles and God Save The Queen can be heard for miles of the stadium. Which takes me back to the original point that the US needs to take football seriously, or not bother at all.
I take it that you're a fan, and that you watched your group games? what did you think about the lack of coverage in the US?

arjisme
06-26-2006, 08:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IKG26Redcoat:
But "soccer" isnt a proper term, its slang for Association Football, like describing American Rules Football as NFL. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I know the origins of the term, but I can't see how you are deciding what the "proper" term should be. Note that I have no issue with the sport being called "football" in many parts of the world. That term effectively communicates your meaning in those contexts. It will only create confusion in the States though. The use of "soccer" does not create that confusion.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But using "football" to describe american rules has no bearing.Its not football. Its American Rules, same as Australian Rules, its a variation of one very old game, not the original.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>I am sure you know that the original game was played with both hands and feet and evolved to become what it is today. In Australia, btw, they say "football" and that typically is understood to refer to Australian Rules Football, not soccer.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And the original point I tried to make is that the worldcup has come and gone for the USA, and only a fraction of people even noticed. Which is, like I mentioned before, a damned shame.
When Holland play, the entire stadium is orange. When Brasil play, the stands are yellow and green. When England play, its red and white with the Cross Of St George everywhere you look.
When the US played, the fans were put in a small corner out of the way.[...] Which takes me back to the original point that the US needs to take football seriously, or not bother at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I wish Americans would care more about soccer too, but I understand why they don't. I do think that more and more are starting to follow it, but it will take time before there is a large following in this country.

On the fan presence at games, you are being a bit unfair there. Many other nations that are in the World Cup do not fill the stadiums with their colors and make the place reverberate with their national anthems. Notable exceptions are the host country and those other countries that have easy, cheap access to the tournament. Also, countries that are successful have a huge following. But I also agree the fan showing is a reflection of the level of interest in the sport here. Note that when the tournament was held here in 2002, there was a much larger Amercan showing at the games.

If your standard for taking the sport seriously is that the entire nation must take a holiday when the national team is playing, then I doubt the US will ever be at that level. We are a large and diverse country and there is almost nothing that will rally the entire nation to respond as one. Still, I think there is a passionate fanbase in the States for the sport and they take it very seriously. I am very far from suggesting that they not bother.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I take it that you're a fan, and that you watched your group games? what did you think about the lack of coverage in the US? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I am a fan and an avid player. I have watched most of the games in the tournament and, of course, the US games. The coverage here is reasonable for watching the games -- they are shown on ABC, ESPN, and ESPN2. I don't care for the commentary given by Marcello Balboa -- he is an idiot. The newspaper coverage is very small. However, newspapers are headed the way of the dinosaur anyhow and I get most of my news from the Internet.

LStarosta
06-26-2006, 09:01 AM
I think you missed the point there ar****e. Im not ****ging American Football, which has a lot of fans so it obviously appeals to some. Fair enough.
But "soccer" isnt a proper term, its slang for Association Football, like describing American Rules Football as NFL.
People might know what you're talking about, but its not the proper name. And basketball is what it sounds like, putting a ball in a basket. Vollyball sounds right as well, vollying the ball back and forth over a net, so I dont know how you get to handball. Baseball, I aint got a clue about, although you have four bases right? so that sounds true enough again. But using "football" to describe american rules has no bearing.Its not football. Its American Rules, same as Australian Rules, its a variation of one very old game, not the original.
And the original point I tried to make is that the worldcup has come and gone for the USA, and only a fraction of people even noticed. Which is, like I mentioned before, a damned shame.
When the US played, the fans were put in a small corner out of the way. Thats the damn shame. You could barely hear the Star Spangled Banner being sung, whereas Deutchland Uber Alles and God Save The Queen can be heard for miles of the stadium. Which takes me back to the original point that the US needs to take football seriously, or not bother at all.
I take it that you're a fan, and that you watched your group games? what did you think about the lack of coverage in the US? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree on the Star Spangled Banner part. I don't remember which game it was (the Italy game, I think) but I remember being surprised at how loud I could hear the Star Spangled Banner being sung. Then again, it was on TV, and they could've just dropped a mic into a several dozen strong crowd.

Anyway, in the U.S., ABC, ESPN and ESPN2, the latter two being dedicated sports networks, pretty much did a great job of covering all of the WC games, though I don't think they covered much of the qualifiers. But every game is pretty much covered.

When there isn't a WC going on, the networks occasionally broadcast a few international friendlies or premier league matches, but those are usually in the early afternoon and I'm either at work/school unable to catch them.

There are channels such as Fox Soccer Channel, but those are premium channels which must be ordered from your TV provider, unless you have some sweet satellite deal or whatever.

LStarosta
06-26-2006, 09:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I am sure you know that the original game was played with both hands and feet and evolved to become what it is today. In Australia, btw, they say "football" and that typically is understood to refer to Australian Rules Football, not soccer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It still is! (keepers, throw ins, Croatians defending Aussie free kicks etc etc) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

BaronUnderpants
06-26-2006, 09:20 AM
I think its a shame that there isnt a bigger fanbase for football in the US. Ive read the american retorts about diving and play acting in games, and that behavour really pisses me off too.
Then Ive read the response to the americans saying that all your national sports are rubbish, and with that much armour on, you could drop players off the empire state building with no more result than a gentle bounce.
But the real fact of the matter is that the World Cup does what it says on the tin. Its your nation against the rest of the world.
Just getting there is an achievement. Almost every nation on earth tries for it, which is why national pride becomes a big deal. You dont just win a trophy, you beat the class of the world to get it.
When americans sneer at "euro soccer" (its not euro, it the entire world, including the US, and its not soccer, its football, ie played with the feet and not your hands, clues in the name..), I just think its a damn shame, because like it or not, the USA has a team, and the world is watching. And the US team put up a respectable enough performance, and I think they deserved more backing from one of the biggest nations in the world.
Just my humble opinion... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree, football is the biggest sport in the world, with largest number of activ participents, that makes it a big deal.

And i hope all "yanks" ( lack of better group nickname ) take note of the fact that not a singel poster have said anything negative or condesending about the US teams performance in this world tournement or any other. I for one think its a pretty good team, all concidering. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

A hell of a lot better than what was expected of my country this time arround, thats for sure. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

IKG26Redcoat
06-26-2006, 09:24 AM
Yes, the original football was played with hands and feet, on the ball and each other, with deaths not uncommon.
I cant speak for everyone, but a national holiday isnt the norm for a matchday, although admittedly the number of people calling in sick to work is a lot higher than most days, lol, and the two countries to make the final will probally be at a standstill, and rightly so. This is against the world after all.
And in response to fans who have easier access to Germany, well all I can do is point to the massive numbers from Japan, Korea, Australia, Brasil and Argentina.. the list goes on.
Even when the USA hosted it, the supporters still turned up in droves, so I guess it comes back to the popularity of the sport.
And Im not familar with Marcello Balboa, so I cant comment on that, only to say that from what the US press has mentioned about the US team, its been fairly negative, and somewhat of a joke, which is bloody unfair in my book. The US did a good job just to get there, and aquited themselves respectably.
Anyway, if you're a player and a fan, I'm preaching to the converted right? lol

LStarosta
06-26-2006, 09:25 AM
I beat England with all their best starters with USA in FIFA WC 2006 on Professional mode, so despite the fact that Dempsey has a full blown mullet in the game, I think that's an indicator that team USA does not suck and that winning the WC in the future is not out of the question.

BaronUnderpants
06-26-2006, 09:29 AM
I beat England with all their best starters with USA in FIFA WC 2006 on Professional mode, so despite the fact that Dempsey has a full blown mullet in the game, I think that's an indicator that team USA does not suck and that winning the WC in the future is not out of the question. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The football has a bad FM in that game. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

arjisme
06-26-2006, 09:51 AM
And Im not familar with Marcello Balboa, so I cant comment on that, only to say that from what the US press has mentioned about the US team, its been fairly negative, and somewhat of a joke, which is bloody unfair in my book. The US did a good job just to get there, and aquited themselves respectably. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>There has been a lot of negative commentary, but a fair amount of it is justified. This was, by all accounts, the best US team yet in the World Cup. Expecations were pretty high that we would get to at least the 2nd round and possibly the quarterfinals. So, the team disappointed many, particularly because several of our "star" players were virtual disappearing acts in the games. So I think the lumps are somewhat deserved.

However, I also agree that they did a good job getting to the tournament in the first place. And they did a good job of dealing with all the **** in the Italy game. And I also am convinced that if they re-held the tournament, redrawing lots to determine groupings, that we would not have the same 16 teams in the 2nd round. So some of it is not their fault. We were, in fact, in a very tough group.

Blutarski2004
06-26-2006, 12:36 PM
Netherlands vs Portugal ..... 16 yellow cards ?!?! Sounds more like a WWF tag-team match than a World Cup football match.

IKG26Redcoat
06-26-2006, 01:18 PM
I think that game could be held up as an example of what happens when the ref loses control, or goes mental, whatever, lol.
And having just seen the Italy Australia game, thats a great example of how to get robbed of a game, and how to win an oscar and a penalty. Bloody dire from the Italians.

LStarosta
06-26-2006, 01:20 PM
I must say, there were a lot of physically unsportsmanlike activities afoot in that stadium.

MOH_MADMAN
06-26-2006, 01:30 PM
Even and Arizona Cardinals fan has a more exciting game to watch than a soccer game.
Thats especially true if they actually find a way to win a game!

btw Buds not so bad, grew up on it, not my pick these days, but an ice cold one on a hot, thirsty day goes down like pure liquid gold.
The first one anyway....the second...well dif story.

MAD

WWMaxGunz
06-26-2006, 02:02 PM
You can tell old hard core lifetime soccer players by their shins.
They curve back in the middle.

US might have a chance once our players learn to expect pain.

One thing for sure about Cleese is he has no clue about less than wealthy Americans.
But then for as bright and funny as he is, he's also an educated poof.

han freak solo
06-26-2006, 03:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWMaxGunz:
You can tell old hard core lifetime soccer players by their shins.
They curve back in the middle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also the busted veins in your shin that drain black blood into your foot for days after a game. Mmmmm the memories.

han freak solo
06-26-2006, 03:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MOH_MADMAN:
btw Buds not so bad, grew up on it, not my pick these days, but an ice cold one on a hot, thirsty day goes down like pure liquid gold.
The first one anyway....the second...well dif story.

MAD </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Redneck Gatorade! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif