PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new joystick.

Jason Bourne
01-10-2005, 08:31 AM
Ok, so I have decided to ditch my Logi X3D Pro, and I am trying to find a sub 200 dollar joystick that will not break on me. any suggestions?

Texas LongHorn
01-10-2005, 10:50 AM
Jason, Ive said this before. In my office I must have a thousand dollars worth of joystick and sim hardware. An original TM F-16 FLCS LE and matching TQS Throttle (still the best throttle IMHO,) and pedals, a CH F-16 Fighterstick, Throttle and pedals, an old MS FFB stick, the list goes on and on. What do I use on a daily basis? A Saitek Cyborb EVO USB with the twist rudder that cost thirty bucks at Best Buy <ggg.> It seems to never lose calibration, is dead on accurate in tracking, and essentially bulletproof at least in my experience. Here's a link to read about it;
http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/prod/cyborg_evo.htm
They also make a wireless and FFB version of the same stick. In my own opinion, I prefer the twist rudder to pedals which tend to get underfoot at the wrong time. All the best, LongHorn

horseback
01-10-2005, 11:05 AM
$200? Get a CH Products Combatstick and Pro Pedals. That's under $200 if you shop around. I never did like using the twist rudder, but I'm old, and my hand would cramp up keeping the ball centered on long 109 campaign missions. Pedals work better for me.

cheers

horseback

R_Mutt
01-10-2005, 01:22 PM
thrustmaster afterburner II, won't break the bank, feels good in the hand, not an obnoxious amount of buttons.

Simple and effective.

vonSchnitter
01-10-2005, 01:59 PM
fess up !
you want this - right ?

http://ww2airfronts.org/tangmere/snip/pit1.jpg

JunkoIfurita
01-11-2005, 06:14 AM
R_Mutt's right on this one - Thrustmaster Top Gun Afterburner II is the best cheapy around. I got mine for $100 Australian, so I guess that's approx $65 American.

It's got the best response curve out there, as far as I'm concerned - my dad upgraded to an X52 for all the pretty lights n buttons, but his kill rate dropped to zero because he couldn't deal with the flat response curve. He's gone back to his Afterburner II now.

Plus you get a choice of either stick rudder or the rocker on the throttle - I tend to use the rocker because it feels a little more like a set of pedals.

About the only problem I've had with the stick after 6 months is that the throttle, which is only on a cheap plastic hinge rather than a metal slider, tends to break down if you're rough with it. It doesn't stop working, but there's a little free play (you'll end up resting at 95% rather than 100% at the depressed section)

Beats playing for hours with joystick settings to get the Saitek running nicely. Although I did, and now I'm a happy chappy :-P

Dexmeister
01-11-2005, 06:17 AM
As much as I've often said how great the Logitech 2.4ghz cordless stick is, I've got to pipe in now and say it's a piece of @!#$. The first one went defective, logitech replaced free. When the second one started to go I ripped it to pieces and threw it into the garbage.

Bearcat99
01-11-2005, 03:21 PM
LOL Dex you have seen the Logitech light huh?? Finally....... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif (Im not laughing at you bruh...... my first 3 sticks were Logitechs..... yeah it took me 3 times... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif)

Without a doubt..... go here (http://store.yahoo.com/saitekusa/recprod.html). If you cant get one there even at retail $79 with a product replacement plan the stick is the best HOTAS you can get for the $$$. At the the reconditioned price of $39 it is a steal. Try an FFB stick with that set up an you will be in HOTAS heaven.

My original X-45 that I got when FB was first released still works...... and I used it EVERY SINGLE DAY for at least an hour or two ... much more on some days.

RevvinUK
01-11-2005, 04:03 PM
Grab a CH Fighterstick and a set of Pro Pedals then later as your budget allows you could add a Pro Throttle or Throttle Quadrant to that setup.

ddsflyer
01-11-2005, 04:04 PM
No question, CH makes the best, most durable around. The whole shebang, stick, throttle and pedals is more than $200 but worth it.

ddsflyer
01-11-2005, 04:05 PM
VonSchnitter, great rig but where is the throttle quadrant?

LWulffe_Dumbo
01-11-2005, 07:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ddsflyer:
No question, CH makes the best, most durable around. The whole shebang, stick, throttle and pedals is more than $200 but worth it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll second this opinion...

Also, CH Products has a GREAT reputation for customer service and support. Check out this thread over at SimHQ.com (http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=114;t=002069#000000 )

96th_Nightshifter
01-11-2005, 09:28 PM
Microsoft Force Feedback Sidewinder 2 - the Daddy.
Had it for 5 years, been using it since the original CFS and it still works like it is just out of the box. Stunning joystick, very comfortable, sturdy and just feels right.
Not sure if many places will sell it anymore but I have seen these going for absolute steals over at e-bay.

WOODY01
01-12-2005, 07:05 AM
I dont know, I use a Thrustmaster WCS mk2 and FLCS combo, they feel awsome, fast, crisp, and the WCS throttle is nearly 11 years old now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif, I wouldnt go to anything elce ever if I could. The negitives I thought were you couldnt program under win XP, but Ive since found a way (not as though I reprogram them ever, one program dose the lot for me) For what I payed $500 each for in NZ 11 years ago, and to not only still be going but still be going and a totaly awsome setup, I would strongly recomend looking on ebay for this Stick/ throttle combo(or the TQS throttle, just as good) Ive tryed the Cougar, and siteck sticks and I wouldnt change to them at all, if you have the patiance to learn how to program them, then there a very real ulterintive

Tvrdi
01-12-2005, 07:44 AM
and whats about Saitek X52??

x6BL_Brando
01-12-2005, 07:58 AM
My vote would have to be for CH. You can just FORGET about needing to replace it! If pots or springs or buttons wear out (2 years and nothing yet) then CH can supply them at a very low price. And the support is second to none!

In the end you have to total up how much it costs to keep throwing away the cheap cr@p, against investing in this gear. As a long-term simmer I reckon I already broke even....the next year will start to show a "profit" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Jason Bourne
01-12-2005, 05:21 PM
hey, thanks for all the input guys.

DarkCanuck420
01-13-2005, 08:29 PM
ummm well...a funny thing happend to my X3D pro, basically it stoped working right. jerking right, rolling. i got it ~ 6 months ago, didnt really use it till i bought PF. which was not very long ago. i have searched forums around the net and they say the best way to fix the logicrap problem is to either smash the $#!@#!@$# *cough* out of it, sorry, or burn the *!&@#^)!@^#&*)^! out of it. sorry a little frustrated.

I dont have 200 bones to spend on a joystick. so any suggestion for another poor fool? id perfer a stick that is one piece, with the thrust on the stick.

saiteks look like they would be more in my price range and offer more functions then CH, any advice on a saitek?

Thanks in advance.
===============================================

JRJacobs
01-13-2005, 09:31 PM
Hmmmm how deep are your pockets?
of ALL the stick manufacturers only one makes real sticks in real life for real planes... CH Products. BUT [pardon my big but there ] having just bought a fighterstick usb. a throttle quadrant and pedals pro i found myself $350 lighter yet from all remarks i expect this to be the last stick i need to buy for 10 years

DarkCanuck420
01-13-2005, 11:41 PM
Im a student going to U. so my pockets all have holes in them. When i take my girlfriend out to diner the food comes from my garden (and my nextdoor neighbours garden) no its not that bad but i dont want to spend 300 bones on a joystick. just upgraded my cpu, quit one of my jobs.
all i want is a joystick that will last a while.
================================================

DuxCorvan
01-14-2005, 04:00 AM
Can I have a good FFB joystick that is not Logitech? I'm just sick of my Wingman Force 3D, but I don't want to lose FFB.

dutchman08
01-14-2005, 01:11 PM
I just ditched my Logitech FFB (and the "new" one) and decided to kick Force Feedback to the curb. Went out and bought a Saitek Evo based on reccomendation early in this thread) and the results have been night and day.

Sure my hand doesn't jiggle anymore, but it's soooo smooth. Just a great joystick. I cannot comment on it's durability, yet.

Iggy-Snaps
01-14-2005, 03:34 PM
S! I agree Nightshifter, MS Sidewinder II been serving me well since the original CFS.

http://geocities.com/335th/pirate2.gif

cajun16
01-16-2005, 12:44 PM
Just read this thread. I've had several sticks since 1998. My first one was a Thrustmaster FFB and really enjoyed it, but wore it out playing all of the Novalogic flight sims. Couldn't find a Thrustmaster replacement locally, but did find a MS Sidewinder FFB 2. About 6 months ago purchased a Logitech with FFB. After about 10 minutes of gameplay, I uninstalled and went back to my MS Sidewinder FFB 2. I play my FB+AEP+PF about 8 to 9 hours a day (retired) and keep holding my breath that my Sidewinder doesn't give out. However, from what I read and from want my sons tell me if it ever does looks like CH is the way to go.

JRJacobs
01-16-2005, 07:18 PM
ok pay $120 and buy a ch fighterstick pro - for life.... OR spend $60 and buy an Evo FFB (saitek) joystick every two or three years - if you're a poor student [been there] then it seems the Evo's the way to go m8

Infamous_Troll
01-16-2005, 09:24 PM
I've got a new x52. It's nice...very nice indeed.
I ditched my logitech wingman for it and I'm so glad I have a stick that actually works nicely.

m.manson2004
01-16-2005, 10:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DuxCorvan:
Can I have a good FFB joystick that is not Logitech? I'm just sick of my Wingman Force 3D, but I don't want to lose FFB. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i paid 79 euros delivered for the saiteck evo force from the agent in Germany 2 months ago.I threw away my logitech which was a substitute for my MS FF sidewinder when it packed up.I wanted to buy the X52 really which is 125 euros but they did'nt have it in stock for xmas.
As for force feed back effect feeling i might be wrong but i tried it on PF then on CFS2 and i felt the force feed back effects much more with CFS2,is it the sim?
manson

MGBurrows
01-20-2005, 02:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vonSchnitter:
fess up !
you want this - right ?

http://ww2airfronts.org/tangmere/snip/pit1.jpg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You bet. I am using a Saitek X52 - excellent, reliable and buttons, knobs, sliders and switches galore [In fact, I can Extend/Retract Flaps, Landing Gear - Manual or powered, adjust trim on elevator and rudder, Fuel Mixture, Prop pitch, start or shut-off engine, drop external stores, turn off gun pods, and use my wheel brakes without reaching for the keyboard. Pretty cool.] along with CH Pro rudder pedals.
What is that called?
Who makes them?
How much are they?
Where might I acquire one?

Kamidana
01-20-2005, 03:25 PM
I've had innumerable joysticks over the years, having been a flight sim enthusiast even before Sierra's Aces of the Pacific. One of the first "high ender" sticks that I ever bought was a Thrustmaster FCS. Pure junk. Springs got loose, sloppy and finally sprung loose in less than a year. I've had my share of CH and cheapie fill-ins too. CH just doesn't have the staying power for any kind of manhandling and needed constant recalibration and of course, the cheap "hold out" sticks are throw away commodities.

Now, you're looking for something below $200, good quality? About 6 months ago, I picked up the Saitek X45 digital setup. I know you said that you'd prefer throttle on stick config, but do yourself a favour and forget about it, because the throttle that the X45 comes with is dreamy. the tension is adjustable with a screw on the underside, the handle is molded to fit the hand and has rudder controls on the underside. The stick itself is very comfortable, has good sturdy construction and resistance, and both are given to long single sitting use and both controllers have fully configurable buttons. The only drawback to the X45 is the hat switch can be accidently pushed when reaching for the upper middle fire button (that will fire your cannons in Pacific Fighters), and you have to adjust for that, but the cost is deliciously fair.... I paid $135 CDN for my rig, and I've never been happier. But don't take my word for it. Take a look at any of the reviews for this set up, and you'll see that many, many reviewers agree it's the best flight sim bang for the buck, hands down.

jdlnorcal
01-20-2005, 05:04 PM
There is really no contest, spend the money, and get Thrustmaster Hotas Cugar, throw in a set of good pedals and your in business, remember you get what you pay for, so cut loose with about $375.00 and get the best.

Elie the chaya

GAU-8
01-21-2005, 01:21 AM
i would not cut loose on a product that has as many reliability issues as a product that costs 2/3rds less. you can upgrade the cougar to perform better, but at the expense of 100 percent what you paid originally.

im not bashing you, your set-up might perform flawlessly, but per consumer concensus, "out of box" set-ups, CH products are the ones you cant beat.

Tallyho1961
01-21-2005, 12:42 PM
Kamidana's eloquent testimony in favour of the X45 is all that need be said. I got mine four months ago and love it.

To be frank, if money were no object I'd get the CH stick/throttle/pedals combination, but money is an object, so I can't.