PDA

View Full Version : SDK on the way?

Killgarr
06-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Any one know if there is an SDK out or in the works so us lucky PC owners can make our own maps, and expand the adventures?

Killgarr
06-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Any one know if there is an SDK out or in the works so us lucky PC owners can make our own maps, and expand the adventures?

BTOG46
06-24-2008, 12:17 PM
Probably not, Ubi only seem to release even an editor for limited number of games, let alone an SDK.

caswallawn_2k7
06-24-2008, 12:41 PM
with the way this game is scaling maps to work for free climbing and free running would be a massive pain in the **** so I cant realy see it happening.

Killgarr
06-24-2008, 12:47 PM
Too bad, they should know how much community mappers can add to a game. Hell, Half Life became one of the best selling games in part by a mod (Counter Strike).

caswallawn_2k7
06-24-2008, 12:59 PM
a standard FPS is easy to mod as all you need is a few walls to hide behind on a map and making weapons is just a bunch of numbers. were making maps for this everything needs precision placing or you wont be able to climb anything or jump anything. so were a large FPS map could be done in well under an hour a small map for this would take hours just to get the hand and foot holds correct for the climbing and that is before asuming that every grabable ledge will have a script on it to let the player ionteract with it.

Killgarr
06-24-2008, 01:38 PM
You have never mapped for an fps or not in many many years. A good map should take a skilled mapper no less than 30 to 60 hours to do.

And CoD4 has tools for jumping over cars, sliding over the hood of cars, climbing walls and other areas. They had to use some type of brush or something to make climbable areas.

caswallawn_2k7
06-24-2008, 01:47 PM
you were the one who used half life as an example and it has the most simple map making of any game http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif but the fact remain 90% of any map is the graphics as far as cod4 goes with scripts on cars have you thought how easy it would be just to use a base modle that already has the script aplied to it so every time you place it you dont have to do anything to it. and climbing a wall will just be a large hit box like most editors use for ladders.

were in AC the hot zones for grabing on are the exact size of the item your holding that is why when you look round a city alot of the hand holds are the same every were as they probly made one and set the scripts up then cloned it but you would still need the correct distances from the ground or the hand hold bellow/above.

If you look at AC there is actualy a few places you could climb if they were about a centimeter lower.

Killgarr
06-24-2008, 02:08 PM
I did not develop the game so I wont say that's how they did it or did not, because they used the same model for each handhold does not mean each one has a climb brush, instead of the entire wall being brushed.

Either way, I think the community would benefit greatly from an SDK release.