PDA

View Full Version : BF 109 flight strategies and tactics

Keener22
02-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Hello guys, I'm pretty new to IL2 but not to combat flight. I love to read and discuss and would like you guys to render your opinions on the BF 109. The reason is that I've fallen in love with it and I understand that it's one of the better fighters out there and can hold it's own with most other fighters. What I'd like to discuss are it's strengths and weaknesses. Matchups that are easy and those that may be a bigger challenge for the 109.

And finally, tactics that may be best for the 109 and maybe even tactics that are unique for the 109.

What I know about her is that she's a good climber and a decent turn fighter. She won't turn with a zero but against many US fighters, she's a formidable opponent.

Also if there are links to other threads where this has been discussed, feel free to post that link. I didn't find one quite like this.

I also know there are several variations that perform quite differently. Help me narrow in on the one or 2 that I should consider. thanks

Keener22
02-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Hello guys, I'm pretty new to IL2 but not to combat flight. I love to read and discuss and would like you guys to render your opinions on the BF 109. The reason is that I've fallen in love with it and I understand that it's one of the better fighters out there and can hold it's own with most other fighters. What I'd like to discuss are it's strengths and weaknesses. Matchups that are easy and those that may be a bigger challenge for the 109.

And finally, tactics that may be best for the 109 and maybe even tactics that are unique for the 109.

What I know about her is that she's a good climber and a decent turn fighter. She won't turn with a zero but against many US fighters, she's a formidable opponent.

Also if there are links to other threads where this has been discussed, feel free to post that link. I didn't find one quite like this.

I also know there are several variations that perform quite differently. Help me narrow in on the one or 2 that I should consider. thanks

WTE_Galway
02-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Wouldnt personally call the 109 a turn fighter though it can do it in a pinch.

Brush up on energy fighting.

MD_Titus
02-19-2009, 05:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
Wouldnt personally call the 109 a turn fighter though it can do it in a pinch

Brush up on energy fighting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
depends on opponent really. if you can get a p38 to turn with you, by all means go for it. usually out turns contemporary p40's, depending on skill of course, and most other contemporary american planes. but don't turn with hurri's, spit's, anything japanese, nor laggs, la5s or yaks. unless they are missing an elevator. get height, keep your energy, make your shots count, take a friend.

X32Wright
02-19-2009, 05:36 PM
Ok here are some basics for this plane http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
before I can answer your question let me rate the 109s:

Best turner: F4
Mixed capabilities (can turn and dive/climb): G2
Best Mixed capabilities: G-6/AS
Best overall for BNZ: G-10 (fastest Gustav in the game)
Best High Alt: K-4 C3

Worse 109s: G-6 and G-6 Late.

Never use the kanonenboot configuration (109 with gunpods) unless you are fighting bombers (viermots).

Actually only the F4 and G2 are decent turners and even then you should NEVER turn with spits or Zeros. The 109 was made for vertical fighting, this means a lot more DIVEs and CLIMB and rolls than TURNS. For stick input this means more aileron rolls, rudder turns than stick pull backs (pitch up). Think of the stick only as a 'correcting direction device' in a 109.

Keep up your speed and use flaps when ur speed drops below 230kph and rectract once you gain enough speed.

Your worse nightmare would be the Spit25lbs and SpitVIII. This goes the same for the P-39/63 as well as well flwon Tempest/Mustangs.

Respect any plane that has .50 caliber guns for they can destroy your engine (water-methanol cooled in-line engine) in one shot so this means keeping you distance when fighting P-38 and P-40's,Wildcats,Hellcats,Corsairs and Mustangs.

Min alt for the 109 is 2.0 K meters if you want to play it safe. The german stayed high and flew high and never went down on the deck unless in a group. Never go down on deck alone, you will die! I always say:

'A 109 on deck is a dead one'.

Ba5tard5word
02-19-2009, 05:54 PM
I only fly offline so I can only talk about that.

When flying against AI opponents, they will almost always try to draw you into a turn battle where they keep turning and diving over and over again. I find that the 109 can keep up with pretty much any AI opponent. Flying something like a 190 requires you to fly in a straight line more because it can't turn well.

Pros (in general)
--good top speed for its time
--fairly good armament (could be better though)
--guns fire in a straight line and don't shake your aircraft too much (unless you use the 30mm cannon, then it's quake city)
--great climbing
--great turning in general, can make sharp turns without stalling and flipping over like the Spitfire or 190 or a lot of other planes

Cons:
--its nose-based guns require practice and skill to use, I find with more spread-out wing-based armament like the Spitfire's or Fw-190 you can be lazier and get more hits in with short bursts.
--top speed not really as good as the 190
--later models are ok but don't really keep up with stuff like La-7's or Tempests

Xiolablu3
02-19-2009, 05:57 PM
109E, 109F4, 109G2 = excellent.

Anything after that, give me a FW190 instead please!

VW-IceFire
02-19-2009, 06:12 PM
The early 109s are real gems of an aircraft and the 109G-2 is absolutely incredible. Infact you can probably fight a 109G-2 in a 1945 scenario and have a decent chance of doing well...its a fantastic aircraft.

Everyone has mentioned energy tactics and those are the key for sure. The 109 is a very precise sort of aircraft...if you're good at gunnery the nose mounted MG151/20 on the F-4, G-2, and G-6 is very adept at taking down enemy fighters in short bursts at close range.

Now...you also have to remember that there are what I generally call 3 distinct eras of 109.

The 109E models which versus contemporary opposition are faster and generally better climbing but should not engage in turn fights at all.

The 109F-2, F-4 and G-2 which are like the E model in that its generally faster and better climbing/diving than its contemporary opposition BUT these are better handling than the E series and have the potential of engaging in a fair bit of turning at the right moments.

The final series of aircraft are the G-6 and up. These will fly quite a bit differently as you go up in the years. The K-4, when flown right after the G-2, feels heavy and slow to respond but to its credit its one of the fastest climbing prop fighters ever and its absolutely deadly in close range with its MK108 30mm cannon.

The later 109s I think suffer allot from being made from fighters into a more interceptor style of aircraft. While the versions without gunpods are still adequate fighters they become more and more about killing bombers.

A skilled 109 pilot in a K-4 can make that plane shine...but a less experienced pilot is more likely to get into trouble in that plane than in an earlier model.

DKoor
02-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Any 109 specific tactics?
Well... never really do any sharp high speed dives... unless you're about to die so it doesn't matter anyway.
Generally if in desperate situation, if you can't bleed your oppo energy then try to bleed yours in order to bleed his... your fighter will behave better on extremely low speeds - that actually works unless you fight biplanes or such extremities.
Whenever possible drag enemy aircraft in vertical fight.
Use a lot of trim to compensate for crappy elevator.
Never touch the prop pitch.

That would be about it.

M_Gunz
02-19-2009, 09:09 PM
Against some planes like Spitfire and Hurricane treat it as an energy fighter.
Against some others like P-51 treat it as an angles fighter.
It's the matchup that makes a plane better suited to any style except for thoroughbred (extreme end) planes
and most 109's are not extreme end planes.

The nose cannon make for better chance of hits in _very_ close shooting.
109 gunpods ammo mix is Armor Piercing-rich 20mm as was historically used against IL-2's, a game feature.
The nose 151/20's have more grenade rounds as do the 30mm Mk108's, a good choice for less-armored bomber-busting.

*** Beware reduced pitch ability at high speeds, they are a bit nose heavy. It's good until you really get moving.
As with ALL planes in IL2, learn to use the trim which is a special skill in itself the way it's implemented.
Even as you begin to slow in a turn, start trimming nose up or you will be out of trim before you finish, trim is by speed.

Spend time adjusting your stick sliders to get the best feel and response and use the IL2Sticks utility (http://airwarfare.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=641&highlight=) to help.

This thread has links to and loads of helpful tips and tools for IL2. (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/9121094645)

Possibly the best 3rd party campaign generator out there, online as well as offline. (http://www.lowengrin.com/news.php)

jamesblonde1979
02-19-2009, 10:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MD_Titus:
but don't turn with hurri's, spit's, anything japanese, nor laggs, la5s or yaks. unless they are missing an elevator. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On the La-5,
Earlier model 109's, anything up to the G-2 Can turn with a La-5 flown by an AI. The La-5 bleeds energy like it's going out of fashion and you can easily nail a La-5 by using a trail pursuit. Of course a good La-5 pilot will be all over you but be aware that his time to turn at low speed is abysmal and look for La-5 that have just come out of a zoom or something similar and are low on E.

I have rarely had trouble turning with a Spitfire in a 109 F-4, at any speed. Nor have I had trouble turning with a 109 in the Spitfire. I fly both aircraft a lot so the key is experience and knowing your ride. Learn to pick out the n00bs, they will try to climb up at you, spin, stall, fly as if they are on tramlines. The chances are that you WILL be able to out turn a Spitfire or a Lagg-3 or a La-5 if the pilot is inexperienced.

Yaks are different, I usually stay away from them as the Yak is a killer. If you must tangle with the yak make a diving pass and don't climb back until he's out of sight. Search for him and repeat as necessary

Hurricanes are basically cannon fodder to a 109, get high and make diving, slashing attacks. There is basically nothing he can do except make a difficult target provided you don't fly through his gunsight. If you try to turn with a Hurri even a n00b will nail you.

I have never fought against Jap planes in a 109 but I can't see that many of them except the Ki-61 and J25M types would present much of a challenge. On the whole most Japanese aircraft are pretty average and easily outflown by a faster aircraft.

Manu-6S
02-20-2009, 01:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jamesblonde1979:
Hurricanes are basically cannon fodder to a 109, get high and make diving, slashing attacks. There is basically nothing he can do except make a difficult target provided you don't fly through his gunsight . If you try to turn with a Hurri even a n00b will nail you.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would like to add that if the hurricane guy is experienced the fight could be very frustrating for you. It's important to be patient.

A single burst of a HurricaneIIc can kill you in every moment; as jamesblonde says you must don't give to your opponent the minimal chance to shot at you.

In the energy fighter (since energy fighting is dictated by the overall performance of the aircrafts in the fight... Hurricane is the energy fighter against a Cr42) patience is the #1 thing.

Stiletto-
02-20-2009, 01:23 AM
Some good advice here.. I am just going to add, that the G-2 and F4's are arguable the best aircraft in the game for their respective eras, the G-2 can outclimb ALOT of more contemporary allied opponents from '43 and '44 while being very maneuverable. It's just a bit slower than the more modern aircraft..

Alot of people don't like how overweight and sluggish the controls are on the K4... All I have to say is that if you have a good monitor and can see the dots well on a full real server from your 'pit.. It is an exceptional aircraft. It is true as stated before that it is a great climber, but someone correct me if I am wrong.. I know it is over-modelled compared to real life but in game.. I think out of all the prop fighters it has the best climbrate..

Fly above 4000m and engage the MW50 if you see a pixel pop up on your screen and you don't know who it is.. avoid him until you have a clear altitude advantage, it should come easy most of the time in the K4.

I've had a few fights against P-51 D's. The K4 isn't quite as fast in a straight line at most altitudes but if he starts to climb you will pull him in like a tractor beam. It makes the 109 a formidable opponent even in the 1945 setting.

F19_Orheim
02-20-2009, 02:43 AM
This is quite an interesting article for us who enjoy the 109, pros and cons: Myths about the 109

http://www.virtualpilots.fi/fe...e/articles/109myths/ (http://www.virtualpilots.fi/feature/articles/109myths/)

It's quite long ( 54 printed A4 sheets).

"The article has three parts. Part I is the beef, pilot quotes. Parts II and III are more like "bonus" than primary content and written only partially by the author. Mostly the bits on parts II/III were picked up from various sources and added, because they relate somehow to the main topic. All in all, this is a co-work by several different writers and couldn't have been possible without their help"

Manu-6S
02-20-2009, 06:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by F19_Orheim:
This is quite an interesting article for us who enjoy the 109, pros and cons: Myths about the 109

http://www.virtualpilots.fi/fe...e/articles/109myths/ (http://www.virtualpilots.fi/feature/articles/109myths/)

It's quite long ( 54 printed A4 sheets).

"The article has three parts. Part I is the beef, pilot quotes. Parts II and III are more like "bonus" than primary content and written only partially by the author. Mostly the bits on parts II/III were picked up from various sources and added, because they relate somehow to the main topic. All in all, this is a co-work by several different writers and couldn't have been possible without their help" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Propaganda... http://media.ubi.com/us/forum_images/gf-glomp.gif

Woke_Up_Dead
02-20-2009, 06:08 PM
I don't fly the 109 much and when I do fly against them I find them to be an easy opponent, but I know that it's because most of the time they're flown the wrong way: low and with lots of turns. Like other posters here have said already: stay high and try not to get into a turning battle, even in an F-4 or G-2.

One thing that always gives me trouble when fighting a 109 that isn't flown by a noob is how quickly it gains altitude and energy. If I come upon a 109 with only a slight altitude advantage on my side and I can see that it's being flown by an experienced opponent then I know that I have to be very aggressive and finish him early, otherwise he will be co-alt and co-speed with me before I know it. I might still have an advantage being in a more maneuverable plane, but seeing that initial e-advantage evaporate can be quite demoralizing and can cause me to make mistakes.

Fortunately, most 109 pilots will either try to turn with me (not good, I usually fly planes that turn better than the 109); or they will dive to run away from me in which case I will fly level or in a more shallow dive behind them to either watch them run straight into the arms of all the tight-turning mud-mowers down there, or to watch him climb back to my altitude right in front of my guns.

MD_Titus
02-20-2009, 06:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xiolablu3:

Anything after that, give me a FW190 instead please! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
concurrance.

DKoor
02-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Bf-109G6AS is actually the "best" Messerschmitt in the game, IMO.
Possess really nice speed with decent all around maneuverability, and is also packed with the classic Me advantages such is being really draggy and stuff....http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

jamesblonde1979
02-20-2009, 06:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DKoor:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure if you are joking here DKoor.

The G-6AS is particularly awful against Mustangs and P-47's if they have any height on you at all. It doesn't have the punch to take out a bomber in one pass (Well, my gunnery is average but not THAT bad). It's a good climber still but so heavy on the controls that sometimes it's easier to find another aircraft travelling in the direction you want to go and ask if you can hitch a ride.

DKoor
02-20-2009, 07:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jamesblonde1979:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DKoor:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure if you are joking here DKoor.

The G-6AS is particularly awful against Mustangs and P-47's if they have any height on you at all. It doesn't have the punch to take out a bomber in one pass (Well, my gunnery is average but not THAT bad). It's a good climber still but so heavy on the controls that sometimes it's easier to find another aircraft travelling in the direction you want to go and ask if you can hitch a ride. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm not joking. I assure you that thing you mentions "if they have any height on you at all" is not really what is a big advantage... big advantage in that story would be if they travel at higher speed than you... otherwise.

They MUST run away from you!
Mustang nor P-47 is a match for Bf-109G6AS in mixing it up on even terms.
Also goes for Lightning... I have shot down all these, regularly, when they become trapped in their desire to shot me down and mix it up.

109 is much much better in that kind of fight.

The only real 109 disadvantage is when they caught you from above on higher speed... while they can sometimes run away from you in reverse situation, you will never be able to run away from them, unless specific combat conditions are such that it somehow transforms into a climb fight where you have upper hand vs everything in 109. But that is very rare because those players aren't stupid.

X32Wright
02-20-2009, 09:16 PM
I agree with DKoor. I consider the G-6/AS to be a boosted G-2 in the game and at times i prefer it over the G-10 altho if I know I would be fighting spits and Mustangs I take the G-10. The As actually feels alot lighter than the G-10 and flies closer to the G-2 than G-10.

I never had problems fightign mustangs with the AS unless they run and extend wherein the AS is left behind but then the boost helps you enough to even the odds. For fights above 6K meters I prefer the G-10 or K-4 C3.

jamesblonde1979
02-20-2009, 09:44 PM
Hmmm, I tend to not use the boost except in emergencies. I've been in a long chase with a P-51B at over 5000M and had a devil of a time getting in a control position, by the same token he couldn't nail me either... But he did seem to be able to keep in front, just barely, which is probably a result of me not using WEP.

I'll add this to my list of things to practise as soon as my upgrades are complete.

MOH_MADMAN
02-21-2009, 12:06 AM
I dont fly much anymore, but catch me west coast eve usa and Ill give you all the pointers i can help with. just mess me in hl.

MAD

Manu-6S
02-21-2009, 12:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xiolablu3:

Anything after that, give me a FW190 instead please! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course... It's strange that some veterans fled only the 109 during the war and survived even in the late models...

Only experience or things were different from Il2? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif

Freiwillige
02-21-2009, 01:07 PM
The 109 was a powerfull engine in the smallest airframe. It was a powerfull climber and as such many in the Luftwaffe used the spiral climb to evade opponents. As the enemy follows your turns tighten them to the verge of a stall with your climb angle very high. After a few short rotations the opponent will get frustrated trying to bring his nose to bear on you and will stall if he gives that extra stick required. Now here is the key to all this, THe 109 can climb very steeply and hang on its prop so as the speed is being bled off they have to level out their climb a bit so they can maintain anough speed to stay in controll. So in the end they may be climbing faster than you but not nearly at the steep angle you are and that will put them off your track and give you a good position to counter.

JG52Karaya-X
02-21-2009, 01:49 PM
Yaks are different, I usually stay away from them as the Yak is a killer. If you must tangle with the yak make a diving pass and don't climb back until he's out of sight. Search for him and repeat as necessary

I have never fought against Jap planes in a 109 but I can't see that many of them except the Ki-61 and J25M types would present much of a challenge. On the whole most Japanese aircraft are pretty average and easily outflown by a faster aircraft. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've made quite the contrary experience. To me the LaGG3s and early Yaks (-1 and -7A/B) are just sitting ducks, even the Emil will give them a run for their money as it's just as fast, climbs better and outturns or at least turns with these. You can make diving passes at them as you please and theres even enough room for a turning contest. Anything past the E (109F and onwards) simply murders them.

Now the La5 I've got much more respect for as it's very fast on the deck (faster than any 109 up until the 1944 methanol boosted versions), turns very tightly in all of its versions and is also an ok climber.

The Ki61 I think is also meat on the table of any 109 past the Emil. It is fast both horizontally and in the dive in Japanese terms but still horribly underperforming when compared to any contemporary European fighter. Its 1175PS DB601 engine provided enough power back in 1940 but in late '42/early '43 it just doesnt cut it anymore. Would be interesting to know what the Ki61 could have been had it been reequipped with the DB605A or even some of the later methanol-water DBs

Afromike1
02-21-2009, 02:07 PM
I can give you a lot of tips since I have been flying the bf109 exclusively ever since I got the game. Im even in a 109 squadron that also flies 109s exclusively.

Anyways, against bombers: dive underneath them, that way you can more speed, take less rear-gunner fire, and do point blank shots wich do more damage (especially since the belly of gunners have low arour).

Against fighters: As soon as you leave the airfield always be climbing because you can never have too much altitude. I usually fight in 5-7k meters.

If I have the advantage I usually only use one pass against the enemy. This is because after the first pass he is likely to dive down as soon as possible and you never want to follow him because he will burn your alt. Also, something to remember is to only fire your guns until you are very close to him or when he starts to flip his aircraft (because thats a sign that he is about to dive).

Early 109s: I usually use the f-4 because I beleive that it is the best modeled 109 in the game. Its very responsive and not that strategically disadvantaged from the g2 rate of climb. It also has rear view and the g2 doesnt, which can give you a better prior warning if a bandit is behind you. Lastly, I use the f4 because its less heavier than the g2. Why is this important? Well, its because you can move your aircraft a lot quicker, turn better, and take better snap-shots.

Late 109s: G-10. Why? because its the only good 109 for fighting in my altitude. I never recommend the k-4 because it can barely move in a dogfight.

General tip: Because the 109 is a second slower when responding to climbs/dives, I just give my 109 a little trim so that it is going upwards a bit more so it can conpensate for the delay.

Wow... that was my longest post ever. Anyways, the one true way to do better is practice.

Thekid321
02-21-2009, 03:58 PM
i seem to do good in the 109s at low altitude. like at treetop level. What model would be the best in a low level dogfight?

JG52Karaya-X
02-21-2009, 05:40 PM
Either the F4 or the G2, whatever you like most. However treetop height turning fights (low and slow) are the fastest way to get yourself killed, try to stay high and use superior altitude and speed to pounce on your enemies from above. The 109 is especially well suited for vertical fighting. Dive for an attack, then zoom up and repeat as often as necessary.

Ba5tard5word
02-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Any 109 is fine at sea level but yeah you don't want to be lower than your enemies.

Thekid321
02-22-2009, 08:37 AM
Thanks. But like i said, Ive fought ace level planes of all sorts at treetop level and I hardly ever get shot down. Once I get up higher is where i run into trouble. Its just my preference.

WTE_Galway
02-22-2009, 03:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thekid321:
Thanks. But like i said, Ive fought ace level planes of all sorts at treetop level and I hardly ever get shot down. Once I get up higher is where i run into trouble. Its just my preference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The AI is pretty dreadful at low level. On the Slovakia map you just need to fly around scud running the valleys and eventually the AI will all CFIT into a mountainside without you shooting at them.

Low level is much more fun though ... especially in a lower powered early war plane like the Emil on a map with mountains.

Ba5tard5word
02-22-2009, 03:45 PM
Yeah the 109 is great if you are right at sea level because it has good climb and won't lose all its speed or stall out/flip over if there's an enemy right on your tail.

A 190 is much slower to reach top speed in level flight, so it's better to have the altitude to be able to point your nose down and pick up speed or dive down on your opponent. Also in a sharp turn it will lose control and flip over, and you really don't want to do that when you're 10 feet off the ground.

When the AI has a 190 or 109 though it will generally try to get as high as possible over you and then keep making diving attacks over and over or try and bait you into following it up 3000m into the air for like 20 minutes until you get bored and break off then it will dive on you. The AI won't do that as much with other planes.

Thekid321
02-22-2009, 04:57 PM
I really don't like flying up above say, 2000m because its to boring in comparison to trying to avoid the enemy and the ground. Plus, ive made alot of kills without ammo by flying over my opponent at ground level, causing him to dive into the ground. Good feeling! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif

WTE_Galway
02-24-2009, 03:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:
Also in a sharp turn it will lose control and flip over, and you really don't want to do that when you're 10 feet off the ground.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just keep an eye on those slats and all will be fine.

Xiolablu3
02-24-2009, 03:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:
Also in a sharp turn it will lose control and flip over, and you really don't want to do that when you're 10 feet off the ground.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just keep an eye on those slats and all will be fine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm pretty sure the 190 doesnt have slats?

Xiolablu3
02-24-2009, 04:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thekid321:
i seem to do good in the 109s at low altitude. like at treetop level. What model would be the best in a low level dogfight? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Always try and make sure you have the height advantage.

Thekid321
02-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Yeah. flying at treetop level is just one of those things you get used to. Sinse thats one of the only places i fight, i don't ever worry about hitting it. You don't really notice it after a while.

WTE_Galway
02-24-2009, 04:29 PM
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just keep an eye on those slats and all will be fine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm pretty sure the 190 doesnt have slats? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

true -- i was assuming we were talking original thread topic as with 109's alternating 5 seconds slats with 5 seconds no slats lets you turn forever,

190 - you just got to be really fast on the opposite rudder whenever you get the inside wing stalling