PDA

View Full Version : AI vision system

Yellonet
11-12-2004, 09:31 AM
Posted this in GD but nobody seemed to have anything to say about it...

Think about how fun it would be if AI couldn't see through clouds and if they couldn't see through their own plane.

This could be solved with a "vision cone" for the AI crew, which could also be applied to ships, AAA and other AI controlled units.
The AI would have a cone "shooting" out from them which would scan the sky more or less at random (restricted by the perticular aircraft) and if an enemy would be in the cone for a certain amount of time the AI would see the enemy, i.e. If a player flies into the area which the cone is currently covering, at a distance of 2 kilometers from the AI plane, the AI would need 4 seconds to see the player, if the distance was 1 kilometer maybe 1 second would be needed for the AI to spot the player.

And of course clouds and mountains would also become restricting objects for this cone.

Get busy Oleg! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Flame away...

Yellonet
11-12-2004, 09:31 AM
Posted this in GD but nobody seemed to have anything to say about it...

Think about how fun it would be if AI couldn't see through clouds and if they couldn't see through their own plane.

This could be solved with a "vision cone" for the AI crew, which could also be applied to ships, AAA and other AI controlled units.
The AI would have a cone "shooting" out from them which would scan the sky more or less at random (restricted by the perticular aircraft) and if an enemy would be in the cone for a certain amount of time the AI would see the enemy, i.e. If a player flies into the area which the cone is currently covering, at a distance of 2 kilometers from the AI plane, the AI would need 4 seconds to see the player, if the distance was 1 kilometer maybe 1 second would be needed for the AI to spot the player.

And of course clouds and mountains would also become restricting objects for this cone.

Get busy Oleg! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Flame away...

TonyEH
11-12-2004, 09:44 AM
There was a suggestion I made to Oleg about reducing the AI's line of sight for the different AI levels. ie

2klm for "Rookie"
3Klm for "Average"
4Klm for "Veteran"
5Klm for "Ace"

This means that the different Ai levels wouldn't chase you endlessly accross the map if you decided to break from Combat and return home. As it stands the AI will chase you all the way home and then further. Most of the time you just cannot shake em becuse the don't lose sight of you for abut 7 or 8KLM.

Tony

Yellonet
11-12-2004, 09:50 AM
True, but the AI also have problem spotting the enemy prior to an engagement. Usually I will spot the enemy way earlier than my wingman.