PDA

View Full Version : Stationary aircraft

lmontgomery
05-28-2009, 06:13 PM
Does anyone think that the effects for stationary aircraft and other stationary objects getting hit is pretty poor? If you watch any WWII gun camera footage you will see the airplanes parked on the ground will smoke and catch fire when hit by bombs, cannons, machine guns ect. I think in a really solid combat sim this is one of it's weak points. Also I think that the effects of buildings getting bombed should result in the buildings burning.

lmontgomery
05-28-2009, 06:13 PM
Does anyone think that the effects for stationary aircraft and other stationary objects getting hit is pretty poor? If you watch any WWII gun camera footage you will see the airplanes parked on the ground will smoke and catch fire when hit by bombs, cannons, machine guns ect. I think in a really solid combat sim this is one of it's weak points. Also I think that the effects of buildings getting bombed should result in the buildings burning.

Bearcat99
05-28-2009, 06:34 PM
There are unofficial mods tat address that to a degree.. however berar in mind that this sim is 8 years old.

Urmo22
05-28-2009, 06:50 PM
Correct, but it was very first IL2 that appeared 8 years back (my god how fast time is going O_o!), after many patches and upgrades new IL2 with several add-ons and rework is pretty much different game...Still some flaws exist.

But speaking ww2 gun camera footages then they makes me wonder too, i can't imagine how they are able to get so close to mighty B17 on six and gun it unpunished? those ww2 footages shows it often...In sim it is 99% certain death.

WTE_Galway
05-28-2009, 07:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Urmo22:
Correct, but it was very first IL2 that appeared 8 years back (my god how fast time is going O_o!), after many patches and upgrades new IL2 with several add-ons and rework is pretty much different game...Still some flaws exist.

But speaking ww2 gun camera footages then they makes me wonder too, i can't imagine how they are able to get so close to mighty B17 on six and gun it unpunished? those ww2 footages shows it often...In sim it is 99% certain death. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

partly because the gun cameras of the unlucky ones got ripped apart along with the rest of the plane and its pilot ... you only get gun camera shots from the pilots that survived

i would also disagree about the 99% chance of getting hit by a b17 in game ... you would need to be fighting solo and in a 30 degree cone of the dead six of a b17 to take that sort of losses ... flying with reasonable tactics its not hard to solo several ace b17's and come away with minimal damage, especially in something designed for the job like a fw190a8

@@@@@
on the original topic ... aside from being an old sim, collateral damage to scenery is not a high priority when you are trying to save frame rates and Oleg found quite early on that adding features to keep people with state of the art machines happy usually generated a flood of complaints from people on older machines

there are several things you can do if you are after screen shots

- use FMB to place flyable aircraft with no fuel on the ground instead of stationary ones, they seem to explode better

- hide blitz fuel tucks inside target buildings

- if you have already demolished a building in mission builder add smoke and fire objects to it

VW-IceFire
05-28-2009, 07:50 PM
Keep in mind that some upgrades are "easy" versus ripping out some of the more core portions of the game engine and code which may rely on other portions of the code and so forth. Stationary aircraft aren't very detailed because it saves on CPU cycles...probably something they decided early on and upgrading might have been too much of a problem to do.

Storm of War...expect things to function in a more detailed way there. Where it can be assumed that everyone has a more modern processor.

TheCrux
05-28-2009, 10:07 PM
Don't see what the fuss is. In 5 years of flying this sim offline and online, I've found strafing MORE effective in killing static parked A/C...ie: I'm able to destroy A/C in one pass that the armament package on my A/C would only damage in air-to-air combat.

BillSwagger
05-28-2009, 11:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
But speaking ww2 gun camera footages then they makes me wonder too, i can't imagine how they are able to get so close to mighty B17 on six and gun it unpunished? those ww2 footages shows it often...In sim it is 99% certain death. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've seen the footage of the 109G parked on the six of the b-17. Starts at about 2:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyJAlsJAbZw

This might've been a training exercise or armament test.

Airmail109
05-28-2009, 11:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BillSwagger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

I've seen the footage of the 109G parked on the six of the b-17. Starts at about 2:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyJAlsJAbZw

This might've been a training exercise or armament test. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Another thing, gunners don't get killed easily in IL2 in some of the aircraft. It was over for those gunners in that B-17 attacked by a BF110.

Kettenhunde
05-29-2009, 12:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But speaking ww2 gun camera footages then they makes me wonder too, i can't imagine how they are able to get so close to mighty B17 on six and gun it unpunished? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The gunners are dead.

AnaK774
05-29-2009, 02:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheCrux:
Don't see what the fuss is. In 5 years of flying this sim offline and online, I've found strafing MORE effective in killing static parked A/C...ie: I'm able to destroy A/C in one pass that the armament package on my A/C would only damage in air-to-air combat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Might have something to do with numbers of rounds hit http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif