PDA

View Full Version : Your 'best' carrier landing?

Talroth
06-17-2008, 08:14 PM
While I'm well aware that carrier landings aren't something I should be bothering with the second day I've owned the game (and the second hour I've owned a new joystick, one that actually DID 'fall off the truck', driver let me keep it cause the box was ruined, and he assumed the stick was too.) But hey, it is still fun.

I was actually surprised that my second attempt wasn't a crash, but managed to recover and go around again. Did this a few times till my 'best' landing.

Ended up being too far left on the attempt, and angled slightly right, decided to try and just ram it down and catch one of the lines. Bad idea, but made for an interesting view. Skipped off deck, smack a wing into the forward section of the carrier's island, and then did this cool little flat spin with stub wings.

The best part? You would assume that I would have ended in the drink right? Nope, some how managed to hop up, do a little spin, and come crashing back down onto the deck after the island had pasted me.

Any other favorite carrier landings from when people were newbies?

Talroth
06-17-2008, 08:14 PM
While I'm well aware that carrier landings aren't something I should be bothering with the second day I've owned the game (and the second hour I've owned a new joystick, one that actually DID 'fall off the truck', driver let me keep it cause the box was ruined, and he assumed the stick was too.) But hey, it is still fun.

I was actually surprised that my second attempt wasn't a crash, but managed to recover and go around again. Did this a few times till my 'best' landing.

Ended up being too far left on the attempt, and angled slightly right, decided to try and just ram it down and catch one of the lines. Bad idea, but made for an interesting view. Skipped off deck, smack a wing into the forward section of the carrier's island, and then did this cool little flat spin with stub wings.

The best part? You would assume that I would have ended in the drink right? Nope, some how managed to hop up, do a little spin, and come crashing back down onto the deck after the island had pasted me.

Any other favorite carrier landings from when people were newbies?

mrwafro
06-18-2008, 02:19 AM
I landed a SBD dauntless with only rudder and elevator, and it had so many holes in the wings that it could barely keep flying... good times.

ffb
06-18-2008, 03:15 AM
The SBd3 was the first a/c I managed to land regularly on a carrier, and I like to use the tele sight and keep the cross hairs on the far end of the deck http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

F19_Orheim
06-18-2008, 03:23 AM
For a nice tutorial to help you out learning how to sucessfully land on a carrier, go here:

http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/FB/fb_carriertutorial.htm

About "interesting" carrier landing, this is always fun to try out http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHEgYAteWhg

neural_dream
06-18-2008, 03:48 AM
In the golden ages of this forum (3 years ago) there was a massive thread with everyone's carrier landings. Someone had managed to land ALL planes of this sim on the carrier. From TB3 to jets. All in one video. I don't know if it's still available anywhere.

DKoor
06-18-2008, 06:04 AM
My cleanest carrier landing was in Lerche.

DKoor
06-18-2008, 06:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by neural_dream:
In the golden ages of this forum (3 years ago) there was a massive thread with everyone's carrier landings. Someone had managed to land ALL planes of this sim on the carrier. From TB3 to jets. All in one video. I don't know if it's still available anywhere. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Oh, that I have to see to believe... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif
I don't mind the TB-3 (the only real obstruction in that story would probably be the size of that thing, but speeds are more than cool for landing on carrier)...

I'll try some of the landings with Tempest, FW-190, P-51 and maybe some mediums... I smell those as very fishy to land on carrier.

WOLFMondo
06-18-2008, 06:23 AM
I find it hard to belive they landed all aircraft on a carrier. Some of the tricycle wheel aircraft and the Ta152 or any plane with a low stall speed are quite easy to land but the He162 and some of the planes with very high landing speeds are not easy to stop before the end of the deck. Even the Mosquito is very hard to land and stop, which was a real problem when they made the conversion.

TheCrux
06-18-2008, 06:39 AM
In an A6M3 Zero on a 'Zekes vs Wildcats' map....on a stationary carrier. Was going through my standard landing pattern and then on base leg I just realized my A6M3 had no arresting hook...as it is a land based Zero. Had that thing as dirty and slow as it would fly and came in at barely 60 kts . Touched down on the absolute nearest end of the deck, and braked like mad while applying up elevator. I must have missed rolling clear of the end of the deck by mere inches....but I made it!

scaredycat1
06-18-2008, 12:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by neural_dream:
In the golden ages of this forum (3 years ago) there was a massive thread with everyone's carrier landings. Someone had managed to land ALL planes of this sim on the carrier. From TB3 to jets. All in one video. I don't know if it's still available anywhere. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember that one, even the B-29, it seems like it was the Komet he had the hardest time with because of the landing skid (no brakes) right?