PDA

View Full Version : Straight line aircraft and ground fire

rkvinson
04-20-2007, 08:06 PM
The only thing I don't like about the IL2 series is the gravity defying bullets. All shots travel in straight lines, and anyone who has seen wartime film knows that bullets travel in a curve downward when fired in level flight and if you fire while turning the bullets will follow around the turn. I'm sure that some of the earlier combat sims managed to do it, perhaps it takes up too much programming when you have all the other realistic stuff going on. By the way my copy of 1946 had no printed instructions and no bonus disc (bought in Montreal Canada) and the pdf manual and control layout are from Pacific Fighter.

rkvinson
04-20-2007, 08:06 PM
The only thing I don't like about the IL2 series is the gravity defying bullets. All shots travel in straight lines, and anyone who has seen wartime film knows that bullets travel in a curve downward when fired in level flight and if you fire while turning the bullets will follow around the turn. I'm sure that some of the earlier combat sims managed to do it, perhaps it takes up too much programming when you have all the other realistic stuff going on. By the way my copy of 1946 had no printed instructions and no bonus disc (bought in Montreal Canada) and the pdf manual and control layout are from Pacific Fighter.

PBNA-Boosher
04-20-2007, 08:08 PM
Hmmm... the gunnery seems to work fine for me. Got track?

Deadmeat313
04-20-2007, 08:21 PM
Um, go to external mode and watch your bullets when you fire. They don't go in a straight line at all. They fly in an incredibly flat arc until the energy is dispersed, then start to curve increasingly downward.

This comes in to play in my games when I try to shoot trucks from beyond effective range with 50cals, and just end up peppering the general area of the vehicles.

Bullets follow round the curve? You've lost me there - but then I am drunk. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

T.

FritzGryphon
04-20-2007, 09:01 PM
http://members.shaw.ca/evilgryphon3/compare.mov

A video showing trajectory of M2 bullet (red) and UB bullet (white).

Starting altitude is 100m, and furtherest white marker is 2km range.

Waldo.Pepper
04-20-2007, 09:07 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/WaldoPepper/gunnery%20gif/on-off.gif

Perhaps!? Maybe? Good thing to check anyway.

VW-IceFire
04-20-2007, 09:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rkvinson:
The only thing I don't like about the IL2 series is the gravity defying bullets. All shots travel in straight lines, and anyone who has seen wartime film knows that bullets travel in a curve downward when fired in level flight and if you fire while turning the bullets will follow around the turn. I'm sure that some of the earlier combat sims managed to do it, perhaps it takes up too much programming when you have all the other realistic stuff going on. By the way my copy of 1946 had no printed instructions and no bonus disc (bought in Montreal Canada) and the pdf manual and control layout are from Pacific Fighter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually none of the previous sims can hold a candle to this one for realistic bullet trajectories. IL-2 has had this thing from day one. Go ahead and fire off a good burst of .50cal bullets at a plane flying somewhere near the water. Watch as some bullets impact the target (if you're a good shot) and the rest carry on for 500 or 1000m and drop into the ocean. I'm not a physics major but there is significant arcing to the bullets, culminating at the convergence point, and then dropping off from there.

The only bullets without this that I think Oleg mentioned were some of the ground based AAA units. Not sure if thats still true anymore...quite a bit of code has changed since then. That was for CPU reasons. But not apparently the 88mm Flak as you can see that when they fire, especially at angles, the shells exploding on the ground some distance away.

The-Pizza-Man
04-20-2007, 10:11 PM
That's a new bit of info on the AAA for me. It makes sense, because I had noticed that ground fire seems to go in unusually straight lines.

VW-IceFire
04-21-2007, 10:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The-Pizza-Man:
That's a new bit of info on the AAA for me. It makes sense, because I had noticed that ground fire seems to go in unusually straight lines. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah...but the heavy stuff still arcs so the 75mm, 85mm, and 88mm stuff all go up and come back down if they don't explode. But the lighter stuff doesn't...not sure about the medium stuff like Bofors 40mm and whatnot. Also I think the ships are firing shells that arc because you see them hitting the water and flying past you as if they were dropping from the sky.

Haigotron
04-21-2007, 02:19 PM
Is that why sometime you see random ground explosions? they're really just round falling back down to the ground?

VW-IceFire
04-21-2007, 02:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Haigotron:
Is that why sometime you see random ground explosions? they're really just round falling back down to the ground? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You bet! Other times its artillery that missed...but if there's allot of flak going off of the heavy variety and the gunner missed then you typically will see explosions periodically...often many kilometers from where anything is actually happening.

tigertalon
04-21-2007, 05:54 PM
IIRC some shells never "burn out" in PF, the 50mm ones from Me262A1-U4 being such. So it's theoretically possible to kill yourself with own shell: fire it vertically up and wait for it below. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Divine-Wind
04-21-2007, 07:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Haigotron:
Is that why sometime you see random ground explosions? they're really just round falling back down to the ground? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yup. It's really fun to ditch your plane in the middle of an 88 covered field and see how long it takes for a shell to fall on your plane. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif