PDA

View Full Version : per aircraft control mapping...

Urist
04-30-2004, 10:28 PM
What does everyone here think of being able to set a specific control setup to different types of aircraft.

Or having three or four different presaved control configs you can bring up in the aircraft customization screen? Multi-engine, bomber, Me109... etc... I'm contantly juggling key mappings around trying to find that zen-like control configuration that lets me fly all aircraft in combat properly.

I don't think such a configuration exists, you always end up with fire extinguishers set up as ctl-l or something and can't remember what it is when engine 4 on a tb3 is on fire, or does ctl-l manually lower the landing gear.... hmmm... Not to mention multi-engined aircraft in general, which require several key mappings that don't even get used on most airplanes.

And those damn bombsights take half the keyboard to operate.... Well, all the number keys in my case.

This is where someone calls me an idiot and informs me that this can be done already, probably using some utlity i've never heard of.

I know, the extinguishers are mapped as ctrl-e!

Urist
04-30-2004, 10:28 PM
What does everyone here think of being able to set a specific control setup to different types of aircraft.

Or having three or four different presaved control configs you can bring up in the aircraft customization screen? Multi-engine, bomber, Me109... etc... I'm contantly juggling key mappings around trying to find that zen-like control configuration that lets me fly all aircraft in combat properly.

I don't think such a configuration exists, you always end up with fire extinguishers set up as ctl-l or something and can't remember what it is when engine 4 on a tb3 is on fire, or does ctl-l manually lower the landing gear.... hmmm... Not to mention multi-engined aircraft in general, which require several key mappings that don't even get used on most airplanes.

And those damn bombsights take half the keyboard to operate.... Well, all the number keys in my case.

This is where someone calls me an idiot and informs me that this can be done already, probably using some utlity i've never heard of.

I know, the extinguishers are mapped as ctrl-e!

Tully__
05-01-2004, 01:26 AM
It's (currently) not possible in the arming screen, but you can go partway there. Control assignments are pilot specific. If you create one pilot to fly bombers with, a different one for fighters and maybe a third and fourth for different mission roles, each pilot will have his own control setup. It means starting the game and choosing a pilot before joining an online server, but for offline campaigns and single missions it's a quite convenient solution.

=================================================

http://members.optusnet.com.au/tully_78th/legalsig.jpg

IL2 Forums Moderator
Forum Terms of Use (http://www.ubi.com/US/Info/TermsOfUse.htm)
Tully's X-45 profile (SST drivers) (http://members.optusnet.com.au/tully_78th/fb.zip)

Salut
Tully

triggerhappyfin
05-01-2004, 10:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Urist:

I know, the extinguishers are mapped as ctrl-e!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get your self the Saitek X-45 stick and throttle - makes u able to fullfill your dream http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Urist
05-01-2004, 08:47 PM
Problem with that is i'd have to get it mail order.... mail order and me just don't get along, I need instant gratification for money spent.

I found my AB2 on a shelf in Radio Shack a year or so ago gathering dust for 60 bux canadian and jumped all over it. Out of any stick i'll find locally its the best.

If I am gonna get something shipped, its gonna have CH written on it.

Having multiple key configs would be a lot cheaper then buying a new stick. I think its something flight sims should have had in them for years now. Setting them per pilot doesn't help much for online games, but might make my life offline a little easier and is better then nothing for now.

SKurj2
05-01-2004, 10:47 PM
Other games have multiple stickmaps, just button assignments, only one set of axes scales though.

I too would like to see such a feature in IL2, but to go with it... the ability to configure the scaling of any stick would be nice instead of just ID0...

SKurj