PDA

View Full Version : What time compression speed is best to use in campaign?

Hocking
08-27-2005, 04:25 AM
I used to use 128 when cruising somewhere, but now I am starting to you use the maximum or one level down. It does not appear to be a problem. I think I am getting enough warning as to when ships are in my area from the sonar man. It also does not appear to make it easier for Destroyers to detect me (I am only in 1940, so this may be a big reason why the Destoyers arent detecting me).

Anyway, which speed is the best to run at?

Hocking
08-27-2005, 04:25 AM
I used to use 128 when cruising somewhere, but now I am starting to you use the maximum or one level down. It does not appear to be a problem. I think I am getting enough warning as to when ships are in my area from the sonar man. It also does not appear to make it easier for Destroyers to detect me (I am only in 1940, so this may be a big reason why the Destoyers arent detecting me).

Anyway, which speed is the best to run at?

fizilbert
08-27-2005, 06:23 AM
That's a tough question, because not only is it different for each captain, but also for different missions. I personally use a max of 128, usually I cruise at 64X. But I also play DiD (Dead is Dead) so I want to make sure I dont stumble across something that kills me when I'm way up in the time compression and I dont have a chance to react before I die.

From my experiences though, 256 is pretty safe. Anything faster then that, and you greatly increase your chances of running across something and being killed before you even get a warning message.

Dominicrigg
08-27-2005, 07:23 AM
As long as you have a watch officer on deck you will be ok at 1024 time compression. There have been stories from people bumping into destroyers and being dead before they could do anything at this speed but i have never had this. Make sure the bar is high above the watch deck (The effeciency bar) and you will be fine.

I normally sail at 512 because there is little difference in speed between that and 1024 on my computer. Using time compression when near enemies DOES raise their detection range though, so be carefull, if on the surface or underwater and near enemies i wouldnt use more then about 8 or 16 at the most.

Hocking
08-27-2005, 04:56 PM
Well, this very thing just happened. I was off the east coast of Britain heading east at either 512 or 256 time-compression when my watchman screamed "Ship Spotted". After the game went to real-time, I immediately went to the tower to look to see what it was. There was a C-Class Destoyer at about 2700 meters at 330 degrees off my bow heading towards my 270.

I had enough time to put my rudder as far as it could go to the left, pull the Destoyer in on my nose, and throw a torp its way when it was at about 2400 meters. Immediately dove down to 20 meters, and pulled off hard to the right to get out of there and head for home when I got the word that the torpedo definitely hit. I couldn't beleive it.

Went to the external camera, and sure enough, I hit it way forward of where I would have liked too, but it brought the ship down. All this happened in less than a minute I would say. In very windy (wavy) conditions, and at night.

lecek
08-27-2005, 05:12 PM
Except in rain, I feel quite safe at 512 compression. Sometimes even 1024 from time to time, but the game slows down on my machine if there is a ship anywhere within a very long way.

Watch crew is a high priority with me and are the first to get promoted and to get the German cross. (infinite endurance)

Rain makes things much more dangerious because you are likely to spot a ship at about the same time it spots you. A random encounter with a DD is not good in rain. Though this is less likely to happen, it will.

Starting 1942, DD's start having radar. Not all of them, but enough that rain makes things very dangerous.

Anton_Reinhold
08-27-2005, 06:02 PM
I have to agree whole-heartedly about crusing on the surface in the rain. It can be deadly and it's darn near impossible to find anything anyway. Visibility is usually even less than 500 meters!
As far as game speed goes, I have run as high as 2048 when going to and from a patrol area. Yes I know that the game does not go that high, but if you know which game settings folder to go into you can change the maximum setting using Wordpad. I changed mine to 2048 and it works just fine. I keep my finger over the minus key, and if the game starts to lag a bit, I hit the minus key a few times because it usually means there is something nearby that requires more of the simulation engine's resources. Naturally, you have to have a fast enough machine to do that and at least on my machine, I have the sound effects go on and off at that speed but other than that it works just fine.

Messervy
08-27-2005, 06:42 PM
I simply remaped an "Enter" key (the dreaded fire torpedo command) into "drop time compresion to 1".
Works much faster plus it has an advantage of being the biggest key. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
P.S. Don`t get started argueing about "space".
I forgot about that one LOL.

Braunbecker
08-27-2005, 06:53 PM
?

Messervy
08-27-2005, 06:59 PM
If ? applies to my post I suggest you read Anton_Reinhold`s post and you will get a general idea what I was refering to. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Kaleun1961
08-27-2005, 09:47 PM
I just had a good skipper killed while running up the east coast of England in late '39. I was doing all the right things [watch, etc] and all I got was a message, all dead due to flooding. What was that? A mine? Who knows, as the game doesn't tell you why. I was running at high time-compression. It's only happened once, but once is enough.

Kaleun1961
08-27-2005, 09:48 PM
Reinhold, which file do you alter for faster TC? I've got a high-end machine which should be able to handle it.

Anton_Reinhold
08-28-2005, 01:54 AM
SH3\data\cfg\main.cfg

Scroll down a little

Change the "Maximum=1024" to "Maximum=2048"

or heck, why not try even faster if you want...

NuclearManta
08-28-2005, 07:36 AM
I race around with 4096 all the time :P
Lol... except when I spot something or when i'm gonna attack ofcourse

Kaleun1961
08-28-2005, 11:34 AM
Thanks, Reinhold. I'll give it a try. I've got an Athlon 64 with 2 gigs of ram, should do fine.

Anton_Reinhold
08-28-2005, 01:25 PM
You're welcome Kaleun1961 and it should work just fine because that is exactly what I am running too. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Hocking
08-28-2005, 01:54 PM
I jacked up my max time compression too (my specs are below). I don't think I will have any trouble with it.

I also raised my time compression up to 128 for land proximity. I hated having to go in for several kilometers at 4X time compression.