PDA

View Full Version : AGEIA Physics Processing Unit-A boon to Flight Sims??

TX-EcoDragon
06-26-2005, 09:32 PM
This "PPU" may be just the ticket to creating more advanced and accurate flight simulations. . . take a look at:
http://www.ageia.com/

Acro sim anyone?? Yes Please!

TX-EcoDragon
06-26-2005, 09:32 PM
This "PPU" may be just the ticket to creating more advanced and accurate flight simulations. . . take a look at:

Acro sim anyone?? Yes Please!

NonWonderDog
06-26-2005, 09:38 PM
Did you miss the discussion on this a week or so ago? It was unclear whether this would be useful to flight sims or not. I would think so -- and I would certainly hope so -- but it seems to be aimed more towards blowing stuff up than anything. My guess is that people are more impressed by stuff blowing up than fluid dynamics, and that they have no reason to show a fluid dynamics model, but I really don't know.

I'm not at all exited about the prospect of having to buy another $200+ card to shove in my system, though.

Ah ha! Here we go:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> PhysX Processor Architecture has been designed to enable radical acceleration of:

* Rigid body dynamics
* Universal collision detection
* Finite element analysis
* Soft body dynamics
* Fluid dynamics
* Hair simulation
* Clothing simulation </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Finite element analysis, too? That's pretty heavy duty. This does seem promising. Now the question becomes one of feasibility. Would there have to be two classes of server after this thing comes out? One for the "standard" flight model and a completely separate mode for the "hardware accelerated" flight model? Or would a physics card be required to play...

The whole PPU concept seems like a bad one. Graphics don't impact gameplay; if you have an old graphics card you can turn down the graphics with no ill effects. But if you have an old physics card... whaddayado?

vocatx
06-26-2005, 09:49 PM
I'm sure it won't be too long until prices come down to a reasonable level on these. I'm still unwilling to pay $400 for a video card, but some people are paying more than that and putting two into their machines. Somewhere down the line it probably won't be looked at as unusual to have one of these nestled next to the sound and vid cards.

TAGERT.
06-26-2005, 10:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TX-EcoDragon:

Acro sim anyone?? Yes Please! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>PPU.. Hmmm, Maybe, I know when Digital Signal Processor (DSP) came out everyone though WOW! Finally this will solve all our problems.. But on further inspection of the assembly code (instruction set) of a DSP was not that different from a regular PC, add, sub, multiply, divide, etc... Except for doing a few special loop intensive thing like FFTs, where all the only real diff between a PC and DSP is the DSP has a self decrementing register. I can not think of any loop intensive Physics equations.. Im sure there are some.. but in flight simming? In short, I wouldnt get my hopes up.