PDA

View Full Version : Nibelung Sonar?

otakuon
04-13-2005, 08:05 PM
I am sure this has been asked a gazillion times before, but since the search feature on the Ubi forms is kaput, I have to post a new topic...sorry, but this has really been bugging me. On page 38 if the SHIII (USA) Manual, it says "when commanding a Type XXI U-Boat, you will be able to use the advanced Nibelung sonar to acquire sufficent data for underwater attacks without even raising the periscope." How exactly is this done (no where else is this mentioned in the manual)? Also, the icons for having my sonarman give me the range to a contact is greyed out and un-usable even when he is tracking a target with the HP and I have a sonar device installed. Where these features removed at the last minute before the product was released?

otakuon
04-13-2005, 08:05 PM
I am sure this has been asked a gazillion times before, but since the search feature on the Ubi forms is kaput, I have to post a new topic...sorry, but this has really been bugging me. On page 38 if the SHIII (USA) Manual, it says "when commanding a Type XXI U-Boat, you will be able to use the advanced Nibelung sonar to acquire sufficent data for underwater attacks without even raising the periscope." How exactly is this done (no where else is this mentioned in the manual)? Also, the icons for having my sonarman give me the range to a contact is greyed out and un-usable even when he is tracking a target with the HP and I have a sonar device installed. Where these features removed at the last minute before the product was released?

quillan
04-13-2005, 09:26 PM
No, those features, along with the SENDE button, were removed in the 1.2 patch. The SENDE button is what sent an active ping of sonar at the target. By the same token, precise range to contact is (at least, I thought it was) a use of active sonar. In the early part of the war, the Uboats didn't have active sonar. These options should not have been available, but were, so when they put together the 1.2 patch, they removed them. In 1942, I got the S-Gerat active sonar installed in my sub. The SENDE button is back, but I still don't have the option to use the range to target requests. I don't know if those will be just for the Niebelung sonar or not. I'll have to survive until 1944 to tell you. I suppose you could play a single mission, using the type XXI, and try it out.

otakuon
04-13-2005, 09:58 PM
Hum....

Well, I would tell you if I can use the sonar on the XXI in a SP mission...if it wasn't for the fact that for some reason now whenever I try to start a single mission with the XXI the game crashes with the following error "Wrong Torpedo Configuration Fore Room: 0 3 1944 i=0" (or something like that). Anyway, I have checked out the XXI in the campaign, and cannot for the life of me figure out how to use sonar to compute a solution like it says you can in the manual. In fact, sonar doesn't seem to work at all on subs in this game...even when you have it installed. Hydrophones work great...and even radar works (although, sometimes it mysteriously self-destructs and is destroyed the instant I start a patrol...but I guess that is yet another issue). Anyway...I just thought it would be cool if we could use the sonar enabled TDC and fire torpedoes from 50m like the real XXI was supposed to be able to do.