PDA

View Full Version : Potential buyers BEWARE!!!!

nvrsummer2
04-12-2005, 04:20 PM
I just got my email from UBI support about my dvd/cd combo drive that no longer reads cds after the installation of this game. Never anywhere does it say that combo drives arent supported. Now Im stuck with a broken drive and a 40dollar game i dont want to reinstall!!! Go **** yourself UBI!!!!!!!!!!!!
Heres the quote: "Unfortunately, this game is not supported for use with dvd-rw or cd-rw drives because of the copy protection that is on the disk. The only reccomendation that I could make for you would be to purchase a regular cd-rom or dvd-rom to install and play the game."
THEY DONT SUPPORT THESE DRIVES BECAUSE STAR_FORCE OBVIOUSLY HAS ISSUES WITH THIS
***Edited for language***

rupert77
04-12-2005, 04:25 PM
Can you perhaps return the game and possibly install the download version instead?

Mind you I don't really approve of copy protection being set higher than customer care either. Have some games which don't work anymore because the game -once installed- doesn't recognize it's own CD due to more modern hardware.

nvrsummer2
04-12-2005, 04:33 PM
I suppose i could but that does not fix my dvd/cd drive. And also in their email to me it says to buy a regular cd-rom drive..I already have one of those but the game only came on dvd!!!! Alot of people have DVDrw drivesALOT. Everyone I know does. Im just so fed up with this. The game is buggy and it destroys my drive!!! Yeah me!!!!

Bulwark_
04-12-2005, 04:37 PM
I understand your frustration, but maybe it's just your combo drive. I have a combo drive as well that I just purchased recently before I purchased SH3, and it works fine. When you say it doesn't read CD's, you mean it doesn't auto detect them or doesn't recognize that there's a CD in the drive at all?

My combo drive is the LG 16X Super Multi DVD/CD Rewriter. Tri-DVD Formats. Model GSA-4163B. It's now selling for around $70 CAD.

nvrsummer2
04-12-2005, 04:40 PM
It is a Memorex 16x dvd/cd dual layer dual format pretty much everything drive. And it does not detect a cd at all. But it did right before i installed this game. I just wanted a little more support from ubi but i get a big OH wELL from them....Guess i wont be buying any more games from these #####!!!!!

anthonyge
04-12-2005, 04:43 PM
How do you know it broke your drive ?

I have a LG combo that works fine

Kpt_Zig
04-12-2005, 04:44 PM
I can't imagine any way a disc's contents could screw a drive, other than Starforce corrupting the firmware chip somehow (which wouldn't suprise me in the least).

nvrsummer2
04-12-2005, 04:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kpt_Zig:
I can't imagine any way a disc's contents could screw a drive, other than Starforce corrupting the firmware chip somehow (which wouldn't suprise me in the least). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was one of their "solutions" before they told me OH WELL. They said to reinstall the firmware driver.HMMM....

Bulwark_
04-12-2005, 04:49 PM
Have you tried contacting StarForce customer support? Last time I asked them a question they got back to me the very next day.

nvrsummer2
04-12-2005, 04:54 PM
How do you contact these guys? See this is where UBI should have pointed me!!! Instead of the email i got....You forum guys are way better than them at THEIR JOBS!!!!

Bulwark_
04-12-2005, 04:58 PM
This is where I sent my e-mail to:

support@star-force.com

Stuntcow
04-12-2005, 04:59 PM
Have you tried removing the starforce? It would then be able to test the DVD-rom w/o starforce blocking it. Starforce or others have the removal tool sence it does not remove starforce if u uninstall SH3. I have a combo CR-RW/DVD rom from rosewell and have had no problems I could not fix.

Ansbach_
04-12-2005, 05:00 PM
No offense, but I think you are just worked up about your drive not working and are not thinking clearly.

Just for clarification: a DVD can not 'destroy' a drive unless the DVD was physically damaged and it physically damaged your drive. If that is the case, it is actually your fault for inserting a damaged disc into the drive - it is your responsibility to check any CD or DVD for physical defects before you insert it. Check your DVD and see if it has any scratches, minor cracks, etc. If it does not, then it is either a.) a coincedence, or b.) a defect in the drive and wasn't caused by the SS3 DVD specifically. In other words, it would still have broken no matter what DVD you were putting in it.

Also, if you look on the back of your box under system requirements it says: 4x DVD-ROM driver or faster <span class="ev_code_RED">(DVD ONLY)</span> in red and all capitals. So yes, it does say that combo drives are not supported.

However, I will admit that I didn't catch that either - but it worked just fine on my DVD-RW.

Also, the starforce driver can stop a drive from being able to read a CD or DVD, but that just means you need to remove the driver and there is nothing wrong with your drive and UbiSoft did nothing wrong - Starforce did. Ubisoft even tried to warn you by saying DVD ONLY.

Bulwark_
04-12-2005, 05:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ansbach_:
Also, if you look on the back of your box under system requirements it says: 4x DVD-ROM driver or faster <span class="ev_code_RED">_(DVD ONLY)_</span> in red and all capitals. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, well what you just said doesn't make sense. Considering every single DVD player I know of plays regular CD's.

Ansbach_
04-12-2005, 05:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bulwark_:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ansbach_:
Also, if you look on the back of your box under system requirements it says: 4x DVD-ROM driver or faster <span class="ev_code_RED">_(DVD ONLY)_</span> in red and all capitals. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, well what you just said doesn't make sense. Considering every single DVD player I know of plays regular CD's. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It has nothing to do with CDs.

DVD ONLY means no DVD-RWs, which is what Ubisoft told the original poster in their e-mail.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>"Unfortunately, this game is not supported for use with dvd-rw or cd-rw drives because of the copy protection that is on the disk." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kpt_Zig
04-12-2005, 05:12 PM
Starforce has a long history of damaging software and system stability/functionality. Personally I'd like to see the CEO of Starforce flogged, prosecuted, sued and imprisoned. I read an interview where he craftily dodged every single specific question regarding such issues and tried to use the interview as a means of promoting his fraudulent crapola. He's a scumbag imo.

BobTuck
04-12-2005, 05:31 PM

DVD ONLY means no DVD-RWs, which is what Ubisoft told the original poster in their e-mail.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>"Unfortunately, this game is not supported for use with dvd-rw or cd-rw drives because of the copy protection that is on the disk." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a Sony DVD-RW and I have had no problems at all!

CRULL
04-12-2005, 05:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bulwark_:

Okay, well what you just said doesn't make sense. Considering every single DVD player I know of plays regular CD's. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It has nothing to do with CDs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>"Unfortunately, this game is not supported for use with dvd-rw or cd-rw drives because of the copy protection that is on the disk." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DVD does not mean no DVD-RW's. That just means it's not available on CDROM. Because most games are released on CDROM, which in this case it is not.

Ansbach_
04-12-2005, 05:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BobTuck:
I have a Sony DVD-RW and I have had no problems at all! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I didn't have any problems either - I have an Artec DVD-RW/CD-RW.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CRull:
DVD does not mean no DVD-RW's. That just means it's not available on CDROM. Because most games are released on CDROM, which in this case it is not. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's what I thought originally and you may be right, but that would be redundant since it already says a DVD-ROM is required, so I take it to mean no DVD-RWs. Who knows. Not that it matters, because it also says... "Notice: This game contains technology intended to prevent copying that may conflict with some CD-RW, DVD-RW, and virtual drives." in a yellow box. Either way, the point is that the original poster has no right to be upset with Ubisoft when it's his fault for not reading the system requirements.

HeibgesU999
04-12-2005, 05:55 PM
I have an DVDrw and had no problems.

rupert77
04-12-2005, 06:10 PM
It sure does matter, I can't ever recall my CDRW not accepting a CDROM and I'd be bloody p!ssed if that were to happen and would want my money back. If certain software does not function with certain hardware I'd expect the package to contain a note and not juts the readme file.

I have one game to my knowledge that installs itself just fine but then after installation won't accept the CD no more. The game is several years old which is why I won't get my money back but it used to run fine, the CD is not scratched or anything thus it's probably the copy protection and certainly the last time I bought a game from that company.

lairdperkins
04-12-2005, 06:21 PM
I've got a combo DVD-Rom CD-RW drive and while I haven't had any problems with the drive since I got the install working, I originally couldn't install the game. I'd get errors when trying to extract game files from the .cabs on the DVD. This is apparently related to screwed up sectors on the DVD designed to make it harder to copy. (Of course SH3 was ripped, NO-DVDed and made available on p2p and the newsgroups the day after it was released so I kind of fail to see the point of preventing legit customers from making an archive copy... not to mention Starforce in general being anything other than a means to punish the people for actually buying your game instead of stealing it, but I digress)

Long story short, I dropped it in my laptop, copied all the files off the disk and installed it across the network. I wiped Starforce, patched, rebooted, and let it reinstall (sigh... reloaded PLEASE make a NO-DVD .exe that'll work with the 1.2 patch) and it worked fine... go figure.

My recommendation would be to kill Starforce, reboot and see whether or not your DVD drive works. You can get the removal tool from their websight if you trust them http://www.star-force.com/protection.phtml?c=91
or google for it from any number or others if you don't.

Cheers,
Perk

nvrsummer2
04-12-2005, 06:43 PM
Just contacted star-force and they say the same thing. I asked the guy what problems starforce has with RW drives and so far...SILENCE. Why would you use a protection that doesnt work well on these types of drives? Almost all of us have these right?? The bitter sweet part of this is that I was really enjoying this game!! IM sure the guys at EBgames arent just going to hand my money back, So ill be looking for a way around starforce so that I can play this game...Way to send me to the pirates UBI!!!!
Now I will pass on any game with star-force.
By the way I did the removal tool and no dice!!!
I know the drive worked because I reinstalled Call of duty with that drive right before I put on Silent Hunter3. Now it wont take any more cds. My only hope now is that Memorex will replace it.

THEMIGHTY8TH
04-12-2005, 06:44 PM
i also have a Sony DVD-RW single layer writer,

once you get past the protection which can vary in time usually under a minute, it plays fine, well now anyway .

1.0 version - played fine.
1.1 patch version, crashed after half an hour everytime i played it.
1.2 patch version, so far it has not crashed, since installing 1.2 patch.

nvrsummer2
04-12-2005, 06:55 PM
Alright...word from starforce...I told them that UBI support doesnt support the RW drives and this is their response...."Actually, I don't know why they don't support such drives. There are no know problems with them and StarForce."
Can any of the moderators answer any of this....Why does UBI not support these drives when Probably 80% of us have them???!!!!!

KiwiVenge
04-12-2005, 08:33 PM
My Lite On DVD read/write has no problems at all with SH3 or any other DVD or CD that has been in it. Never realized it was such a problem. Glad it does not affect me and sorry to hear it affects others.

stereophobia2
04-12-2005, 08:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Also, if you look on the back of your box under system requirements it says: 4x DVD-ROM driver or faster <span class="ev_code_RED">_(DVD ONLY)_</span> in red and all capitals. So yes, it does say that combo drives are not supported.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It may say that on some cases, but on my British case, it ONLY says DVD-ROM drive 4X in the system requirements

Hiriyu
04-12-2005, 08:46 PM
Just out of curiosity, a question for the original poster: Are you using any virtual drive software on your system (ie; Alcohol 120% etc.)?

Most modern copy protection schemes object to any of these active or installed...

Beuf_Ninja
04-12-2005, 09:17 PM
A few suggestions, don't know if it'll help but..

1) Does the empty drive show up in my computer and bios?
2) Do you have any vitual drive stuff or clonecd?
3) Have you checked the connections in the tower (master/slave status)?
4)Have you tried switching it onto another IDE channel?
5) Maybe the drive was faulty (longshot) try rma?
6) Take the game back to the shop, most large chain retailers will at least give you store credit?

My condolances on this whole sorry debacle. My brother had a CDRW that was very picky about reading disks it would just "hang" for ever, he was to lazy to rma it and got stuck with the "lemon".

nvrsummer2
04-12-2005, 09:56 PM
Sorry but what is RMA?? And yes the drive shows up in my computer. But when I put in a cd and click explore it just opens up an empty page.

Frederf220
04-12-2005, 10:00 PM
To who said that a DVD can't screw up a drive:

Put a DVD in your drive with a firmware flasher on autorun... that'll screw it up pretty fast.

malkuth
04-12-2005, 10:10 PM
Sorry to tell you, The game didnt break your DVD drive. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Targ
04-12-2005, 10:11 PM
Try removing the IDE controllers in the Device manager. When windows re-boots it will recognoze the IDE controllers and re-install the drivers for it.

Beuf_Ninja
04-12-2005, 10:11 PM
RMA is the returns process for goods bought online.

privateschultz
04-12-2005, 10:17 PM
the dvd BROKE MY TOASTER and shot my neighbors dog. oh wait, i downloaded the game.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif threadstarter

it's like the muppets who call me for internet support. "your modem made my windows crash" or "your modem gave me a virus". makes me want to say: "that modem is smarter than you are but it ain't THAT smart". also, just because you can't drive a car doesn't mean the tires are flat.

TeAcH
04-12-2005, 11:16 PM
I have the Pioneer A105 combo DVDR/CDR and it works on mine for what its worth.

Treesqueak
04-12-2005, 11:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nvrsummer2:
I just got my email from UBI support about my dvd/cd combo drive that no longer reads cds after the installation of this game. Never anywhere does it say that combo drives arent supported. Now Im stuck with a broken drive and a 40dollar game i dont want to reinstall!!! Go **** yourself UBI!!!!!!!!!!!!
Heres the quote: "Unfortunately, this game is not supported for use with dvd-rw or cd-rw drives because of the copy protection that is on the disk. The only reccomendation that I could make for you would be to purchase a regular cd-rom or dvd-rom to install and play the game."
THEY DONT SUPPORT THESE DRIVES BECAUSE STAR_FORCE OBVIOUSLY HAS ISSUES WITH THIS
***Edited for language*** <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What a bunch of BS on the part of UBISOFT and/or Starforce. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif I have a Plextor PX-708A DVD+/- R, DVD+/- RW and I haven't had any problems with loading and running the game. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Maybe updating your drivers would help, if you haven't already tried. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Mike http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

InfectiousDust
04-12-2005, 11:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Treesqueak:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nvrsummer2:

What a buch of BS. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif I have a Plextor PX-708A DVD+/- R, DVD+/- RW and I haven't had any problems with loading and running the game. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Got to be a cop out for the problems some people are having.

Maybe updating your drivers would help, if you haven't already tried. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Mike http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just because you aren't having problems and he is, doesn't mean he's lying.

And believe it or not, updating drivers won't solve everything...

nvrsummer2, try removing starforce from the device manager (you'll have to select 'show hidden devices', in 'view'). Try uninstalling your DVD/CD combo's driver as someone else suggested, and let Windows auto-detect it.

Treesqueak
04-13-2005, 12:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by InfectiousDust:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Treesqueak:

What a buch of BS. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif I have a Plextor PX-708A DVD+/- R, DVD+/- RW and I haven't had any problems with loading and running the game. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Got to be a cop out for the problems some people are having.

Mike http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just because you aren't having problems and he is, doesn't mean he's lying.

And believe it or not, updating drivers won't solve everything...

nvrsummer2, try removing starforce from the device manager (you'll have to select 'show hidden devices', in 'view'). Try uninstalling your DVD/CD combo's driver as someone else suggested, and let Windows auto-detect it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't say he was lying anywhere in my original post. I went back and reread it and I wasn't clear about who I was refering to. So I edited it for clarity.

nvrsummer2
04-13-2005, 12:44 AM
OK I unistalled my drivers for the dvd...nope...I had already cleaned starforce with a cleaner they gave me. Looks like im off to best buy or sending it back to memorex...What a headache...and my wife doesnt understand why it wont work so i have to try to explain to her why we cant burn cds right now!!!! Oh man...now i cant buy another game for sure....On top of all that I wont be able to play this game anymore...THANKS FOR CHOOSING STARFORCE UBI!!!!!!

Treesqueak
04-13-2005, 01:02 AM
OK I unistalled my drivers for the dvd...nope...I had already cleaned starforce with a cleaner they gave me. Looks like im off to best buy or sending it back to memorex...What a headache...and my wife doesnt understand why it wont work so i have to try to explain to her why we cant burn cds right now!!!! Oh man...now i cant buy another game for sure....On top of all that I wont be able to play this game anymore...THANKS FOR CHOOSING STARFORCE UBI!!!!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good Luck with Best Buy. I've always had problems trying to return hardware to them even when it was defective. It's always "did you do this or maybe you should try this."

alanschu
04-13-2005, 01:08 AM
I can safely say that 80% of computer users do not have DVD-Combo drives.

Heck, there is still A LOT of users out there that don't even have DVD drives period. If 80% of users had DVD drives, games would not be released on CD-ROMs anymore, as the market would be way too small.

Of course 89% of all statistics are made up.

stfy
04-13-2005, 01:37 AM
i have 3 various DVD drives:

Memorex 4x DVD+ burner
Toshiba 16x DVD+- burner
NEC DVD/CD-RW combo

from all of this 3 devices game runs fine...

InfectiousDust
04-13-2005, 01:37 AM
A word of advice nvrsummer2, don't buy another combo RW drive. Many people have experienced problems with them. Some combo drives have been known to be unreliable and incompatible with other hardware.

Antrodemus
04-13-2005, 01:41 AM
OK, so now we have three threads by you about the same UNPROVED thing, nvrsummer2... is this really necessary? Are you quite happy that you may be harming sales of SHIII due to this undeserved accusation of faulty, damaging software?

You have already nailed Starforce & UBI to the cross when you have no proof that either is to blame for the partial failure of your optical drive. Can you supply the aforementioned evidence that either UBI or SF are at fault here? Give us proof, and not just the fact that SHIII was the last thing you installed - this is not proof. Betcha can't.

...and as a footnote - I have two DVD-ROM drives and a DVD-RW, none of which have been affected adversely by any Starforce equipped software.

A.

StarForce_
04-13-2005, 02:07 AM
Persanaly i didnt know any other issue when after starting SF protected game DVD stops to read CD. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif And i have SF bug statistic almost for 4 years....

nvrsummer2 Its a great pity that you have such serios problem. But i guess that you became a sacrifice of coincidence. Im sure that SF persanaly didnt broke your drive, it could be a combination between soft/SF/windows and your drive. May be its only Windows bug...
When you use SF remoove tool ALL SF things delited from system, so after rebooting you have SF_clean system. But drive still doesnt work... Its strange. May be you have to remove something more?

Try to boot from your drive using any CD_bootable disk and look what happens. Try to uninstall any burning applications. You could even physicly remove your drive from computer and connect it to another one...

privateschultz
04-13-2005, 02:35 AM
i see we're still debating. ok, seriously, i have two dvd/cd combo drives. some blank discs work in both, some in only one or the other but the sony drive usually handles anything. occasionally a drive will not recognize a disk today but tomorrow it will, they are FICKLE, i.e. unpredictable, like quantum mechanics or a hot blonde. also, i bet the thread starter didn't really remove the original driver & xp put the same one back on. probably 99% chance windows has some problem with the drive, a conflict or corrupt driver or the drive was defective in the first place. if the disk was clean then the odds software wreaked such havok with a drive as to bring it to ruin yet affect no one else in the entire friggin world are astronomical. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

Taurusman75
04-13-2005, 05:44 AM
I have a LG DVD writer combo and mine still works fine.

malkuth
04-13-2005, 08:34 AM
Again if nothing else works then your DVD is dead. Just because SHIII was the last thing you played doesnt mean SHIII broke it.

You could of put "I have no clue what Im talking about" Special Directors cut in and it still would of broke.

If you just got the thing, bring it back stop *****ing and making 15 post on the same thing.

The__Captain
04-13-2005, 10:27 AM
I have a CD-rw/DVD-rom drive, and everything is still working here. No problems with anything.

PsychoFritz
04-13-2005, 10:43 AM
I have a regular DVD drive and a CD-RW drive. I must be in the 20% group without the combo DVD/CD burner drive. If I understand what this is correctly...isn't that a lot of things for one drive to do...so wouldn't these things have a lot more problems?

nvrsummer2
04-13-2005, 10:43 AM
What I meant is that 80% of people have a burning function on their cd/dvd drive not just dvd. Starforce and UBI both will not support rw able drives...wonder why this is..........

missouridrifter
04-13-2005, 11:11 AM
Honestly, I really like this game and has been worth every penny so far however, I will never purchase anymore software that is intrusive to my operating system.

That was uninvited (StarForce writes stuff to the Kernel).

I believe in software protection and have always purchased my stuff, I also see the need for protection but there has to be a better way than hogging-in, opening up and writing to the core of my operating system.

The box said it contains software protection but if I knew that meant change anything in the core as if my machine belonged to them is worse than any of Bill Gates' ******ed ideas in the past.. to me, StarForce is an uninvited virus and this game is its Trojan Horse.

U-49
04-13-2005, 01:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by missouridrifter:
I will never purchase anymore software that is intrusive to my operating system. That was uninvited (StarForce writes stuff to the Kernel). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> StarForce uses CP technplogy centered around drivers. Drivers which are no more intrusive to your OS then your audio or video drivers. It's these drivers that prevent the use of kernel debugger utilities, as well as preventing emulators from spoofing a drive as well as impeding burning tools.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The box said it contains software protection but if I knew that meant change anything in the core as if my machine belonged to them is worse than any of Bill Gates' ******ed ideas in the past <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It's driver based CP solution, plain and simple -- no different from the myriads of other software (programs, movies, other games, MP3 players. Drivers for video, digital cameras, audio and video cards too - to name but a few).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>.. to me, StarForce is an uninvited virus and this game is its Trojan Horse. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>How so?

It is clearly stated in the EULA that SF will be installed. StarForce's installation is no secret and certainly no uninvited guest or virus. You agreed to this installtion when you accepted the terms and conditions outlined within the EULA.

Had you read the EULA more carefully, this would've been quite clear. Not withstanding the fact that it states on the box that SF will be installed.

At any rate, once you're done with the game you can easily uninstall SF from your system. There's a SFdriver cleaner utility in the un-install script. Furthermore, utilities are available at StarForce's web site to remove the drivers too. Codemasters has also posted a utility to remove SF CP drivers.

Granted, nobody has to like CP solutions, and we all have our opinions on them. However, to post things about something you know very little about is silly.

Good hunting.

reumatiib
04-13-2005, 01:57 PM
Mayhaps you could cut out the U-boat in the box picture and tape it to your sceen, or play with it in the bathtube.

No really I'm sorry. I feel your pain - I too had to go out and buy a new DVD unit. There must be a sign on my back somewhere that says "this gave gives suck jobs for U-boat games."

reumatiib
04-13-2005, 01:58 PM
"this guy..."

missouridrifter
04-13-2005, 02:15 PM
What you said about me U-49 is for the most part true.

I don€t know that much about StarForce and this is the first time I have ever seen it used.

I based my conclusions on observation that I had to reboot my system after first install (even though I already had DirectX 9c) and then again after patch 1.2 for StarForce.

I€d never seen this before and yes, I€ve been gaming for years. I was told it wrote to the Kernel and that was easy to believe based on what I saw.

You are the first person to rebut this information (that I have seen) as I have read this on other posts about StarForce protection software in other places on the Internet.

So as ou are saying then, if I was a Pirate (and I'm not), I could copy the game if I uninstall the software? (if uninstall is all one need do to be rid of it as you say).

Not picking a debate or anything, just wondering why copy-protect in such a way if uninstalling leaves no residue of StarForce on the player's machine?

That seems silly too... or the information about uninstalling is is not correct either.

Humm... *looks cross-eyed.. *grin

U-49
04-13-2005, 03:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by missouridrifter:
So as ou are saying then, if I was a Pirate (and I'm not), I could copy the game if I uninstall the software? (if uninstall is all one need do to be rid of it as you say). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The drivers are part of StarForce's CP solution. The driver installs itself with the software that came shipped with it. Once SF is installed, you could use a utility to remove it, though the software that it came with would then cease to function because without those drivers, the protected application won't run. Removing the drivers does no harm except the copy-protected app will not run until the drivers are re-installed.

The idea behind the SF tools is to remove all traces of SF's residual files from your system once you no longer intend to use the software it came bundled with. Most companies include the SFdriver cleaner utility within their un-install script. That way, once you uninstall the software, SF is removed along with it.

Bulwark_
04-13-2005, 04:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by U-49:
It is clearly stated in the EULA that SF will be installed. StarForce's installation is no secret and certainly no uninvited guest or virus. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can you please post your EULA? I read it, and saved it for future reference. There is absolutely no mention of StarForce what-so-ever.

Hovever, it does mention things like ---
It is not permitted:
- To modify the Multimedia Product or create any derived work
- To create or distribute unauthorised levels and/or scenarios

If someone creates a mission, does that not count as a scenario? hmmm. It's not a very well written EULA, but I am very interested to where you saw it say StarForce. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

U-49
04-13-2005, 04:21 PM
There is absolutely no mention of StarForce what-so-ever. It's not a very well written EULA, but I am very interested to where you saw it say StarForce. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Bulwark, that was my mistake, sorry. I meant to infer that by accepting the EULA, you're accepting the software as a whole, and that includes any CP schemes included therein. This is typically included within the warantee and liabilty sections. In the case of SH3, it states on the box that the game includes technology that may conflict with some CD-RW, DVD-RW and virtual drives.

When referring to the EULA, it was within the reference to, and context of SH3 being called a trojan for the malicious distribution of a virus (SF). Nonetheless, SF drivers are part of SH3'a code, hence are a part of its EULA.

missouridrifter
04-13-2005, 04:26 PM
Well, Thank you for informing and educating me on this software, its function and removal scheme.

Yeah, I suppose I did post a silly post based on my understandings but I'm glad I did because now I know what the real deal is. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thank you.

CRULL
04-13-2005, 05:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BobTuck:
I have a Sony DVD-RW and I have had no problems at all! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I didn't have any problems either - I have an Artec DVD-RW/CD-RW.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CRull:
DVD does not mean no DVD-RW's. That just means it's not available on CDROM. Because most games are released on CDROM, which in this case it is not. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's what I thought originally and you may be right, but that would be redundant since it already says a DVD-ROM is required, so I take it to mean no DVD-RWs. Who knows. Not that it matters, because it also says... "Notice: This game contains technology intended to prevent copying that may conflict with some CD-RW, DVD-RW, and virtual drives." in a yellow box. Either way, the point is that the original poster has no right to be upset with Ubisoft when it's his fault for not reading the system requirements. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It says exactly what you say it does, but is not a RW drive also DVD-ROM capable? So that first line really means nothing at all except having a drive that can read a DVD-ROM.

The part pointed out about conflict, again doesn't mean all that much. They don't specifically say the game will not work on RW drives, they say it "may conflict." If the game should not be used on any RW drives it should be worded like that IMO.

davidmor
04-14-2005, 05:44 PM
Just an idea for the OP. Did you check your Primary and secondary IDE channels to see if the transfer setting got changed from DMA to PIO? I had a game that would crash regularly, and when it did, it would change the transfer settings on my CD drive to PIO only. When it did this, the drive would not read CD's again until I changed it back to DMA.

Go to control panel/systems/hardware/device manager. Open up IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Right click on Primary IDE channel and/or secondary channel depending on where your drive is, click properties, then advanced. The settings are towards the bottom of that screen. Mine is set to "DMA if available" and it goes to Ultra DMA 2 on my CD RW, and DVD drives, and Ultra DMA 5 on my hard drive.

Good luck with your problem.