PDA

View Full Version : Is my force feedback joystick lying to me..?

DooDaH2007
05-01-2007, 10:58 AM
I have a microsoft FFB2 joystick...

When I turn too steeply, force feedback tells me my wings are in danger going into a high speed stall (burrering effect on joystick, like turbulence), indicating me to back off pressure a bit...

But since I am outturned in every plane I fly (spit/190/109) I am wondering if my force feedback is lying to me about beeing in danger of going into a high speed stall and should simply turn even more sharply...

So:

-Is force feedback linked to real flight data, or is it somehow linked only to joystick sensitivity settings (or joystick deflection)..?

DooDaH2007
05-01-2007, 10:58 AM
I have a microsoft FFB2 joystick...

When I turn too steeply, force feedback tells me my wings are in danger going into a high speed stall (burrering effect on joystick, like turbulence), indicating me to back off pressure a bit...

But since I am outturned in every plane I fly (spit/190/109) I am wondering if my force feedback is lying to me about beeing in danger of going into a high speed stall and should simply turn even more sharply...

So:

-Is force feedback linked to real flight data, or is it somehow linked only to joystick sensitivity settings (or joystick deflection)..?

FoolTrottel
05-01-2007, 11:26 AM
You can easily find out yerself: See what happens if you ignore the warning, and do not back off on the pressure... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

rnzoli
05-01-2007, 11:45 AM
there are at least 3 diffetent levels of shaking, so when the slight vibration starts, that's just an early warning

p-11.cAce
05-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Yeah - keep pulling through the initial shuddering. As in RL the initial flow separation is a warning not a limit. I'm sure you have figured this out already but it is very important to keep that ball centered when flying close to the edge. The pilot who does a better job of maintaining coordinated flight will turn harder and stall out later.

Pollack2006
05-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Turn FFB off. You'll find the limits of your aircraft much more accurately without it.

AFJ_rsm
05-01-2007, 01:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pollack2006:
Turn FFB off. You'll find the limits of your aircraft much more accurately without it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No.

BM357_Sniper
05-01-2007, 01:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pollack2006:
Turn FFB off. You'll find the limits of your aircraft much more accurately without it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then disconnect your FFB and start using a gamepad. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Engadin
05-01-2007, 06:09 PM

Not At All.

Xiolablu3
05-01-2007, 06:38 PM
AT first, I certainly found I was turning sharper without force feedback, FF tells you when you are bleeding a lot of energy, and it 'naturally' stopped me from trying to pull such hard turns.

I know what you mean about being outturned when you have FF on, however I NEVER spin out anymore now I use it, and I find I keep my energy really well through all manouvres much better with FF.

FF allows you to fly the energy fighters like the FW190, P47 and Tempest much better, all your moves are precise and you can tell the moment you are bleeding a lot of E. This is crucial for when you are wanting to keep your energy high.

FF is not so much use when you are flying the better turning like the Zero,i16 and Spitfire because, like you say, it seems to stop you pulling such tight turns, however I am sure this could be overcome with a bit of practise. Just pull a bit harder than you feel you should be.

Your FF isnt lying to you, it is telling oyu that you are bleeding a lot of energy, but sometimes this is what you want if you are in a slow speed turning fight and you have the better turning plane. However as I usually pick a FW190,P47, Tempest these days I find FF very valuable, I very rarely get into turnfights or close in dogfighting, only getting involved as a last resort.

I wouldnt do without FF now, I find it too valuable for managing my speed/energy.