PDA

View Full Version : BoB requirements - a suggestion

Odranoel1
05-12-2006, 07:06 AM
Dear Oleg

Firstly, my sincere thanks and congratulations for the wonderful sim you have given us.

I think it would be nice for the community if we could have confirmation from you that BoB will make use of dual core processors and what the RAM requirements are.
This way, we dont need to "freeze" our hardware while waiting for BoB.

Thank you and best regards

Odranoel1

Odranoel1
05-12-2006, 07:06 AM
Dear Oleg

Firstly, my sincere thanks and congratulations for the wonderful sim you have given us.

I think it would be nice for the community if we could have confirmation from you that BoB will make use of dual core processors and what the RAM requirements are.
This way, we dont need to "freeze" our hardware while waiting for BoB.

Thank you and best regards

Odranoel1

Bartolomeo_ita
05-12-2006, 07:21 AM
amd 31500
4 giga ram
ati 1.000.000 XT http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

HelSqnProtos
05-12-2006, 11:57 AM
That 4 gigs is not far off the mark.

Snuffly
05-13-2006, 02:08 AM
well, i got a really good computer, 64 amd processor, 2 gb ram, and ATI radeon X800 Pci Express.

I can run il2+fb+pf with more then 60 planes in the sky at once flying in the same area with water=2, and still maintain about 30fps... mostly.

but when just flying on servers and stuff, I stay at a good 50fps always.

I think that when bob comes out, I'll beable to play it fairly well with settings on medium at least!!

So just make sure, you got a good vid card and no less then 2gb of ram i think.

Troll2k
05-13-2006, 03:24 AM
From the write up(from the E3 show) over at Simhq.com:

"As to the target system for SoWBoB, Thomas replied that this was still not determined, however, he did emphasize that 2 GB of RAM would be a very good idea. Likewise, he was not able to comment on what frame rates a 3GHz CPU, 1 GB DDR RAM and a 6800 GT or Radeon x800 would produce. Dual Core PC optimization may or may not be implemented, but is being reviewed. However, as with the IL-2 Series, SMP will be beneficial.

Discussions are currently being held with Microsoft about optimizing for Vista. The hard drive footprint is not yet known."

HelSqnProtos
05-13-2006, 03:48 AM
S~!

Snuffly. Your current rig wouldn't even come close to your claim of medium detail with B.O.B. You would definetly be at the very low end of the scale.

Best advice is to wait for the OFFICIAL announcement on recommended specs and then double them.

Unofficial word is that no hardware currently available so far (including dual cpu and dual gpu) can get you past medium settings.

As for the two gigs of ram -- that was recommended by Oleg himself over a year and a half ago for THIS series. 2gb will be a min for B.O.B. Just to run vista well it is recommended to have 4gb or DDR II.

jolulure
05-13-2006, 04:54 AM
JEJEJEJE... ive got a laptop with Geforce GO 6600 (similar to desktop x700) (256Mb (not shared)), 1024 DDRII RAM, and Centrino 1,73GHz.

How many fps at medium graphics, 1024x768??? More or less...

Stackhouse25th
05-13-2006, 12:19 PM
plan to upgrade

Codex1971
05-13-2006, 11:56 PM
Oleg has stated that the graphics engine will be pretty much the same, the only real difference will that the engine will need to cater for more objects with greater detail i.e. many more polys to render.

From SimHQ:

"As to the target system for SoWBoB, Thomas replied that this was still not determined, however, he did emphasize that 2 GB of RAM would be a very good idea. Likewise, he was not able to comment on what frame rates a 3GHz CPU, 1 GB DDR RAM and a 6800 GT or Radeon x800 would produce. Dual Core PC optimization may or may not be implemented, but is being reviewed. However, as with the IL-2 Series, SMP will be beneficial."

WWMaxGunz
05-14-2006, 02:17 AM
We have server and we have player server/client both.

We could use a third, an AI client. It would not support player view or controls. It would
be assigned AI positions to play till it is full, report positions killed, and be reassignable
while server or player server/client would have to make use of AI client.

Load is taken off player PC when another linked PC runs the AI client.
Linked how is by any network method, LAN or net.

Anyone who can get extra PC's together can run more AI without slowing framerate for themselves.

RAF238th_Soak
05-14-2006, 06:12 AM
I'm going to wait until after Storm of War is released and see how the dust settles before doing an upgrade. Just want to make sure when I drop some considerable coin that I'll get the desired results.

PBNA-Boosher
05-14-2006, 11:07 AM
Sheesh, with an X700 I doubt I'll get any results, and I just upgraded!

Darkbluesky
05-14-2006, 11:54 AM
Is Oleg planning SLI support? It seems a step to do...

stubby
05-15-2006, 11:45 AM
Here's what I don't understand. They develop this game and play test it before they release it. My impression is that there's no current configuration of PC hardware on the market that will be able to run BOB at max eye candy settings with smooth frames. So how do they actually play test this game w/ high settings? I assume they have to play test on a regular PC and not some 10 CPU Cray/Sun workstation. They should throw out a bone like what their current testing machines are like.

russ.nl
05-15-2006, 02:24 PM
Become a hardware tester for a leading pc hardware producer and then maybe you will have what it takes.

Capt.LoneRanger
05-15-2006, 03:12 PM
http://www.cisl.ucar.edu/css/staff/cjablono/earth_simulator.jpg

Earth Simulator.

But I heared the graphics sux. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Recon_609IAP
05-21-2006, 06:12 PM
I recently bought a 7800 GS (agp) for my AMD 3000+ system - I have 1 gig - but will buy 2 gigs for BoB.

I hope this works - it took me a year to justify a $275 video card.

Plus, I'm basically locked into an agp board - so 3000+ chip is the highest I think I can go.

Chivas
05-21-2006, 06:56 PM
Recon...is your mother board a 754 or 939. I know a 939 can go up to the latest AMD cpu's but not sure about the 754.

VFS-22_SPaRX
05-21-2006, 07:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HelSqnProtos:
S~!

Best advice is to wait for the OFFICIAL announcement on recommended specs and then double them.

Unofficial word is that no hardware currently available so far (including dual cpu and dual gpu) can get you past medium settings.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got a simple question here for you Protos. If that so called unoffical statement is true, Who is going to buy the new Sim? Would you buy a game if you knew that you could not run it on medium settings with a modest system? And by modest I mean, ~AMD 3500/~Intel 3.0 - 2 gigs Ram, and Nvidia 7800/Ati X850. This is a pretty much a Medium to High End machine right now, would you not agree? Would you also agree that this is probably going to be the Average Desktop PC sitting on peoples desks at the end of the year? Would you buy this sim if you had the above system and could only run the sim at Low settings? Would you buy the sim if you had to invest $1500 into a PC to play a $50-60 flight sim?

So, don't you think that Oleg and Ubi would take this into account. If they released a game that could not be run on the current average system with medium setting, they would be releasing a game doomed from the start. If they released a sim that required you to spend $1000-1500 to make game play acceptable, it would sure see the same doom.

Do yourself a favor, take a look at Intel/AMD/Ati/Nvidia roadmaps for the next 1.5 years.

Basically, to me it's like this. For the game to be successful, they must release a game that is playable on the average Desktop Computer with Medium Settings. The Hot Rod PCs should be able to play the sim at medium-high settings. Reserve the High settings for the future to keep the sims addons marketable in the future. (Kinda sounds like history repeating itself doesn't it?)

I dunno, just a little bit of common sense I guess

WTE_Galway
05-21-2006, 08:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HelSqnProtos:
That 4 gigs is not far off the mark. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You really need to run X64 to access 4Gb of ram.

There is a microsoft 3Gb boot.ini mod to allow normal XP to access more than 2Gb but generally speaking more than 2Gb in an 32 bit XP system is just wasted.

Vorondil-1986
05-22-2006, 02:54 AM
Even though it would be nice to run BoB at maximum settings it will not be possible unless one has an ├╝ber-monster PC. I believe no one should worry about having to run on somewhat low settings, I think the lowest settings will look somewhat equal to what we can se in IL2 merged with almost maximum settings.

If Oleg made the game playable at medium settings on a medium PC, then I believe the graphics would turn old to quick, concidering his plans to have the game play good for at least five years.

It would be like Half-Life 2, that game what awesome when released, today it is good and very soon it will be average.

jamesdietz
05-27-2006, 01:25 PM
I do plan to ( finally) buy an entirely new rig to play this sim ( and a few others still in developement by the same group,but mostly BoB.)I'm not a computer genius so that is why I pose this question:When SoW BoB does come out couldn't someone just say here is what you will need & her is where you can get it ( Buy or built) & this is what it will probably cost( hopefully within reason , or give us a choice or two)? Oh yes & this rig will have plenty of room for what is coming up in the next 2-3 year future of BoB.I shudder to think of the amount of time money & trouble ( all worthwhile) I've spent trying to stay ahead of the curve with this one sim( FB?PF) & a few of the necessary hardwear additions ( Track IR & headphone etc..) but like many of you its been plenty & although it still doesn't allow me to have the top of the line performance out of Fb/PF I'm not going to buy anything else until BoB does come out & I know just what I need to run it ( almost) perfectly...I'm pretty sure I'm not alone here.Will somebody out there ( Oleg???) just tell us what to buy to make this baby perform? Tell us & we will buy!

Chivas
05-27-2006, 01:40 PM
I don't think Oleg will know until all the optimations for BOB are complete. That probably why he recommends upgrading after its finished.

CHAV_
05-27-2006, 03:11 PM
Even better would be if he told us whats specs the systems he's tested it on are.

FritzGryphon
05-28-2006, 05:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Even better would be if he told us whats specs the systems he's tested it on are. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Still, until the game is done there's no way to know how it'll run.

I remember trying the beta for Doom 3, and was horrified by how poorly it ran on my machine. Then playing the official demo some months later, the frame rate had improved two or three times over.

The generalized guesses that Oleg has given are probably as specific as it will be until just before release.