PDA

View Full Version : ATI X1900XTX vs. GF7900GTX

ddsflyer
03-26-2006, 07:35 PM
Having now used and evaluated both a PowerColor ATI X1900XTX and a PNY GF7900GTX (non-overclocked) in the same system with identical settings (Black Death track, 1600x1200x32, 4XAA, 4XAF, all game settings at highest, Water=2 [ATI], Water=3 [GF]) I can make the following observations:

1. The GF7900GTX is about 22% faster in average framerate.

2. The GF7900GTX is 20% faster in minimum framerate.

3. The GF7900GTX is considerably quieter in operation.

Subjectively, IQ about equal or with a slight advantage toward GF>

It would seem that in this game at least, the GeForce graphics solution is the clear winner. I can't comment on SLI vs. Crossfire but I would expect the results to be similar. This seems to bear out the analysis done by FiringSquad earlier.

Test system:

Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe Mobo
AMD Athlon64 FX57 CPU
2GB OCZ PC3200 Platinum 2-3-2-5
W.D. 400 GB SATA H.D.
Plextor 716A DVDR/W
Creative X-Fi Extreme sound

ddsflyer
03-26-2006, 07:35 PM
Having now used and evaluated both a PowerColor ATI X1900XTX and a PNY GF7900GTX (non-overclocked) in the same system with identical settings (Black Death track, 1600x1200x32, 4XAA, 4XAF, all game settings at highest, Water=2 [ATI], Water=3 [GF]) I can make the following observations:

1. The GF7900GTX is about 22% faster in average framerate.

2. The GF7900GTX is 20% faster in minimum framerate.

3. The GF7900GTX is considerably quieter in operation.

Subjectively, IQ about equal or with a slight advantage toward GF>

It would seem that in this game at least, the GeForce graphics solution is the clear winner. I can't comment on SLI vs. Crossfire but I would expect the results to be similar. This seems to bear out the analysis done by FiringSquad earlier.

Test system:

Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe Mobo
AMD Athlon64 FX57 CPU
2GB OCZ PC3200 Platinum 2-3-2-5
W.D. 400 GB SATA H.D.
Plextor 716A DVDR/W
Creative X-Fi Extreme sound

VW-IceFire
03-26-2006, 08:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Subjectively, IQ about equal or with a slight advantage toward GF&gt; </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting that you say that....the 7X00 line of GeForce's seems to have had some texture shimmering problems amongst other IQ issues. No problems on your end? The ATI's always seem to edge out ahead for IQ...

No denying that the 7X00 series lineup seems to be the better buy. In doing the research for my next system I'm contemplating both options but the GeForce's are strong contenders. Cheaper too!

ddsflyer
03-26-2006, 09:04 PM
I hate to disappoint any ATI fanboys (I was one when I had an X800XT PE) but I have seen no shimmering at all or any other artifacts for that matter, better water IQ and better Anti-Aliasing. The noise level is significant with the ATI card, constantly changing speeds as the load factor and heat levels changed. At higher loads it was quite annoying. I suppose if you water cool that is not an issue, but very few do. The single GF7900GTX is so powerful that I really see no need for SLI at this point. Who knows what will happen with BoB but I can always add another card if need be.

BTW, I also noticed ATI issues with Windows Media Player color balance on certain video types. That may be a fixable driver issue but there were no problems at all with the GF.

-HH-Quazi
03-26-2006, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the update m8. Good to see real world numbers from a trusted source.

woofiedog
03-27-2006, 04:10 AM
A bit of info that hamselv2 posted on another posting quesion.

hamselv2 Posted Mar 25, 6:37 PM
Some test results:

http://firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_7800_gtx_512mb/page18.asp

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/2560_1600_gaming_preview/page6.asp

Chivas
03-27-2006, 10:40 AM
There is no question that recently Nvidia cards are a better choice if your main game is FB/PF. The best choice was ATI in the 9500Pro...9700Pro..to 9800Pro hay day.

I don't think mamy of us could tell which has the better graphics...its that close. Personally I give the edge to Nvidia for its Digital Vibrance setting that brings FB/PF to life. I could never quite tweak the gamma.etc of my ATI cards to match the look of nvidia's digital vibrance setting. But if you asked me to pick which card I was looking at...I don't think I could.

woofiedog
03-27-2006, 10:55 AM
Just order a extra EVGA 7800 GTX KO card to complete a SLI set-up for my rig.
I've been waiting too see how others have been doing with their SLI set-up's before spending the dough.
It should be interesting though on the final results of the single card over the double SLI.

The rest of my rig is

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 FX-57 with HyperTransport Technology
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2
Power Supply: 650 Watt ATX 2.0 Power Supply with Active PFC
Chassis Upgrades: AlienIce 2.0 Video Cooling System
Motherboard: Alienware nForce 4 SLI Chipset Motherboard PCI Express
Graphics Processor: 256MB PCI-Express x16 NVIDIA EVGA GeForce 7800 GTX KO
Memory: 1GB Low-Latency Dual Channel DDR PC-3200 at 400MHz - 2 x 512MB

Slingn
03-27-2006, 11:01 AM
I'm waiting for my EVGA 7900gtx superclock. Now I'm even more excited. I'm in their step-up program, only there is a shortage and its moving very slow. I'm now #270, up from #296 about a week ago. Hopefully it will speed up as they get more cards in.

woofiedog
03-27-2006, 11:16 AM
I was checking over the EVGA 7900gtx superclock card... and it's is Very impressive.
But I've had Very Good luck with the 7800 GTX KO as a single and the performance with the SLI set-up is just below the Superclock.

Good Luck! I'm sure your going to have a Blast with it once you recieve it. LoL

Scen
03-27-2006, 12:10 PM
Just to add my 2 cents...

It's really not a question when it comes down to the actual hardware. Both cards are very good with ATI having a slight advantage in PS heavy games that are DX.

It all comes down to OpenGl support. ATI has been lame in this department for some time. For what ever reason ATI doesn't want to support OpenGl games because of the limited numbers of them out there. That is a fact.

Us ATI owners will suffer regardless of hardware capabilities.

ddsflyer
03-27-2006, 04:12 PM
I agree with Scen. I think the hardware capabilities are about the same for both cards, although they go about it in different ways, however, and this is a big however, the OpenGl drivers for Nvidia are so much better as to give them a substantial edge. Frankly, I got real tired of waiting for ATI to fix their OpenGl drivers. I don't know if they ever will.

Scen
03-27-2006, 05:33 PM
I just don't see them doing anything about their OpenGL drivers. The attitude can be summed up by some of their comments. It's sad but I have to go with you on this one.

Treetop64
03-27-2006, 06:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ddsflyer:
I agree with Scen. I think the hardware capabilities are about the same for both cards, although they go about it in different ways, however, and this is a big however, the OpenGl drivers for Nvidia are so much better as to give them a substantial edge. Frankly, I got real tired of waiting for ATI to fix their OpenGl drivers. I don't know if they ever will. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's really the only gripe I have about ATI's cards is their comparitively weak support for OpenGL. Though, depending on one's overall package of hardware (CPU, mobo, quality of RAM, etc...), they're not suffering too badly if a high-end ATI card is hooked up to some high-end hardware, when compared to the NVidia guys at least.

JadehawkII
03-27-2006, 09:30 PM
The ATI Card works just fine for me for my current game use.
I do not see why you have problems with the noise as mine does not make a racket like you say yours does.
Advise...make sure you have plenty of cooling inside that puter and get them cables out of the way as this will be very important in keeping the noise level down you maybe hearing. A cluttered up insides can cause noise and heat problems as well as damaging your hardware too. Spend a good deal of time sorting that out regardless what card you use. Worked for me.
Have fun fellas!

ddsflyer
03-28-2006, 10:41 AM
I have an excellent case, an Aluminum Lian Li PC-V1000 with 2x120mm fans and a Zalman 9500Cu CPU cooler. The HD is SATA, there are no cables and everything is neat as a pin. That ATI card gets hot! And when it does, the fan spins up to very loud levels.

dglasal
03-28-2006, 05:10 PM
Guys, may I ask for advice. I'm currently using ATI X800 PE card and an 2.8Ghz Intel CPU and 1gig RDRAM. I'm contemplating getting a new video card but I am concerned that it will not be cost effective because how much improvements can I get without upgrading the CPU and RAM?

I appreciate your expertise.

Thanks

Supr
03-28-2006, 08:39 PM
Here, read this, it talks about that.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTAwMiwxNSwsaGVudGh1c2lhc3Q=

WOLFMondo
03-29-2006, 02:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ddsflyer:
It would seem that in this game at least, the GeForce graphics solution is the clear winner. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is my worry, I have an X800XT which still cuts the mustard very well but breifly thought about either a 1900 or 7900 card as a replacement. Trouble is the 7900 does well, as always in OGL games but in anything else the X1900XTX's do far better and FB is not the only game I play.

Being truely objective, there as good as each other with the X1900XTX being slightly better in many categories apart from OLG games. I'll think I'll wait though, my X800XT still does the job very well.

I think the best bang for buck card though right now is the 7900GT 256mb.

ddsflyer
03-29-2006, 12:23 PM
I wouldn't say the X1900s do far better in other games. In fact I would say they are about even or with differences of less than 5%. You will see that in all future game as well as IL2/PF that 512MB video RAM is the standad. 256MB causes hard drive caching and RAM transrerring. I wouldn't buy a 256Mb card today.

dglasal
03-29-2006, 06:23 PM
Thanks Supr for the link

WOLFMondo
03-30-2006, 04:54 AM
I wouldn't say the X1900s do far better in other games. In fact I would say they are about even or with differences of less than 5%. You will see that in all future game as well as IL2/PF that 512MB video RAM is the standad. 256MB causes hard drive caching and RAM transrerring. I wouldn't buy a 256Mb card today. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 7900GT with 256 actually out performs the 7800GTX with 512mb.

I agree though, 512 is the way forward but if your looking for a card now to last you a couple of years its a good buy.

-HH-Quazi
03-30-2006, 05:41 AM
All I know is I would like to have one or the other. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Been with ATI for 3 out of the last 4 years. I really like their driver support with their monthly releases even though they have been lagging in OGL support compared to Nvidia. Even so, I have seen plenty of fr increases over the years with the releases of their Cats.

But this 7900 series sure does make a man think.

ddsflyer
03-30-2006, 10:33 AM
I sold my X1900XTX on eBay for what I paid for it. I am extremely happy with the GF7900GTX. I recommend it highly. Its performance is almost on a par with (2) GF7900GT in SLI without the SLI hassle. Now, even over big cities there is no slowdown. This is the first time that has ever happened.

RocketRobin__
04-01-2006, 03:14 AM
Interesting! I'm running multi-VGAs lately.
Right now I'm running an X850 ceasefire set-up. With 6X temporal AA and 8X AF it looks very clean with PF. Keep in mind the motherboard is equipped with an R200 chipset.
I'm building a 1900 ceasefire rig next week, on a board with an R3200 chipset. I fully expect it to smoke any kind of nVidia rig for PF, simply because sly doesn't work with PF. Ceasefire always works with the 'old folks' formats.
I also have 7900 sly rigs on the go, but I won't even pretend to use PF as a platform for that stuff. Dual and quad sly is all about new game engines, like BF2, FEAR, Doom, etc.
I'm a fanboy of all the new hardware.
I personally choose ceasefire, because it works best with my game of choice. If I wanted to mouse jets on BF2, quad sly 7900s would be far the best option.

ICDP
04-01-2006, 12:29 PM
All of the current crop of cards can run PF/FB at more than fast enought FPS. In quite a few games the ATI cards have a superior image quality over the Nvidia cards (GTL is a prime example). Though for the most part image quality is excellent on both cards.

At the moment there is nothing to choose between the two cards. ATI's decision to use 48 pixel shader engines on the X1900XT and XTX compared to 24 on the 7900GTS is going to make a big impact for games released later this year. Games are increasingly reliant upon pixel shaders and the X1900 range have twice the pixel shader engines which will give them performance increase in this area over the 7900GTX.

Overall though there is not a lot to choose between the top end cards. I don't go in for this fanboy mentality, my only loyalty is to my wallet and the X1900XT was the cheaper option http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

RocketDog
04-01-2006, 02:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RocketRobin__:
I'm building a 1900 ceasefire rig next week, on a board with an R3200 chipset. I fully expect it to smoke any kind of nVidia rig for PF, simply because sly doesn't work with PF. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might be in for a disappointment. From what I've read, Xfire gives only a very modest FPS increase in PF. The only advantage is that you can spread the load of high levels of FSAA and AF between the two cards. If a 512 MB 7900 gives a 20% increase in FPS over a 1900XTX as ddsflyer found, then a single-card 7900 rig may well be a better bet than Xfire for this particular sim. The bottom line is that neither SLI nor Xfire seem to be much use in flight sims. Look at the X1800 Xfire review at simhq.com to see the awful truth. And I say this as a user of a 1900XT.

I couldn't find the results for PF and simhq is down for a few days, but I had saved the figures for Lock On and FS2004. See below.

Overall, if I was buying now, and I was absolutely convinced that the Nvidia shimmers had gone from PF and LO, then I would probably go for the 7900 series. Although having said that, even a difference of 20% in FPS is not enough to make me go through the hassle of ebaying my X1900XT.

Cheers,

RocketDog.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/RocketDog/CrossFire_LOMAC_HQ.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/RocketDog/CrossFire_FS2004_HQ.jpg

Grue_
05-02-2006, 11:17 AM
ddsflyer - Did you test FS 2004 with both cards?

My 850XT is struggling with a few recent add on's and I'm trying to decide on which card to upgrade to.

-HH-Quazi
05-03-2006, 03:49 AM
Well, since this htread started, my X850XT bit the dust and I went with a eVga 7800 GS Superclock. All I can say is AWESOME card! It rocks!!!

TgD Thunderbolt56
05-03-2006, 06:14 AM
Is that one of the 7800 series that is for AGP? I have a 6800Ultra that runs really well, but I plan on building a new rig this fall and was hoping to get a nice 'final' upgrade to hold me until then. I have a couple other machines in the house, one of which would benefit from the hand-me-down 6800U...as long as the 7800 GS is a decent upgrade of course.

TB

WOLFMondo
05-03-2006, 08:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Grue_:
ddsflyer - Did you test FS 2004 with both cards?

My 850XT is struggling with a few recent add on's and I'm trying to decide on which card to upgrade to. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you tried reinstalling and some optimisation? I've got a X800XT and it flies along with this sim. I've got it at 4XFSAA and 8XAA @ 1280x1024 and every thing maxed out in game and in the ATi Control panel. I can fly over Berlin without any notable slow down. I do have 3gb of RAM though which really helps. What CPU do you have? Is the card AGP or PCIe?

Lubcke
05-03-2006, 03:58 PM
If you are looking for the image quality, go with ati.

Grue_
05-03-2006, 04:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Have you tried reinstalling and some optimisation? I've got a X800XT and it flies along with this sim. I've got it at 4XFSAA and 8XAA @ 1280x1024 and every thing maxed out in game and in the ATi Control panel. I can fly over Berlin without any notable slow down. I do have 3gb of RAM though which really helps. What CPU do you have? Is the card AGP or PCIe? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funnily enuf I'm going through various procedures right now to check everything is optimised. My systems pretty tight anyway and tbh my fps is only dodgy flying through heavy cloud in the ATR 72 near a busy airport.

Have you ever heard of this guy?

http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/feature/corner12.htm

He should branch into the IL-2 series http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif