PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with medals?

B0lter
06-30-2005, 05:23 PM
I'm confused about the criteria, if any, that the computer uses to award medals.

I find it very strange that sometimes I get a bronze star for downing 3 planes on a routine fighter sweep, but sometimes you get nothing for far higher achievements.

For instance, I once shot down 6 enemy aircraft during a defend the fleet scramble. I got 2 betties, 3 zeroes and a 4th zero clipped my left aileron and augered in when I forced him to evershoot.

I kept making passes at the betties with a missing aileron stab, until a tailguner got a hit on my cowling and the engine started knocking. I went straight for the nearest carrier, and the ticker conked out on me, so I feathered the prop, and made probaly the ugliest landing that someone walked away from.

I was thinking what medal I was going to get for what was the best personal mission I had flown so far in the campaign, and I got nothing! Not even an air medal, or a comendation medal, nothing, zip, zilch, nada.

To say the least, I was floored. five straight kills, an auger-in assist, and a dead-stick landing with a shot up plane. All in plain view of the fleet... what's a man supposed to do?

B0lter
06-30-2005, 05:23 PM
I'm confused about the criteria, if any, that the computer uses to award medals.

I find it very strange that sometimes I get a bronze star for downing 3 planes on a routine fighter sweep, but sometimes you get nothing for far higher achievements.

For instance, I once shot down 6 enemy aircraft during a defend the fleet scramble. I got 2 betties, 3 zeroes and a 4th zero clipped my left aileron and augered in when I forced him to evershoot.

I kept making passes at the betties with a missing aileron stab, until a tailguner got a hit on my cowling and the engine started knocking. I went straight for the nearest carrier, and the ticker conked out on me, so I feathered the prop, and made probaly the ugliest landing that someone walked away from.

I was thinking what medal I was going to get for what was the best personal mission I had flown so far in the campaign, and I got nothing! Not even an air medal, or a comendation medal, nothing, zip, zilch, nada.

To say the least, I was floored. five straight kills, an auger-in assist, and a dead-stick landing with a shot up plane. All in plain view of the fleet... what's a man supposed to do?

Atomic_Marten
06-30-2005, 05:32 PM
[DGen]
OperationVictory=3000
OperationDefeat=-3000
WarVictory=30000
WarDefeat=-30000
SlowFire=1.0
HistoricalRanks=1

Take note of the last line from my [DGen] section under conf.ini. That means that you will progress thru historical rate (and will be less high ranking officers in your squadron). You may read some info about it under DGen folder of the game..

DGen_Readme.txt
Tuning dynamic campaign generator
---------------------------------------------------

In accordance with your preferences and configration, you can place the following lines in file conf.ini
(all case sensitive):

1. Preferred distance to target

MissionDistance=nn, where nn is your preferred distance to target in kilometers. For instance:

MissionDistance=80

The request is not guaranteed to be fulfilled, if there are no suitable targets within the distance +/-30%,
any target may be selected.

By default any target may be picked up.

2. Difficulty

CampaignDifficulty=Easy
CampaignDifficulty=Hard

The default difficulty is medium

Changes your and enemy AI level

3. Air and ground intensity

AirIntensity=Low
AirIntensity=High
GroundIntensity=Low
GroundIntensity=High

Changes number of ground targets of opportunity, number and size of flight groups

Default air and ground intensity are medium
---------------------------------------------------
Take note that changes must be made *before* you start campaign in your conf.ini file, otherwise most likely wont work
You do not have [DGen] section under conf.ini, thus you must make one if you want to 'customize' things a bit. I have mine at the end of the conf.ini.

I think the answer for your question may be: points.
Game records points awarded to you (you achieve them by destroying enemy targets, safe landings and achieving mission goals). More points, higher rank (but now and then make sure that you shot down something http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif).

B0lter
06-30-2005, 05:54 PM
Gah, too late to start over this campaign (41 missions flown, 46 kills, 5 medals.)

Once again, thanx for the info. I'll take a look at that file before I start the next campaign. probably the IJN one (I can't ever catch too many wires, hehe.)

Tomas_W
07-01-2005, 03:52 AM
The medal award system is somewhat annoying.

Let's say i fly my first mission in a USAAF career. If i shoot down 3 planes i get the Air Medal, if i by an orgy of good luck and skill shoot down 10 planes i get the Air Medal, if i by an absurd amount of luck and skill shoot down 15 planes i get the Air Medal.

Conclusion: The medals are awarded in succession, not by the actual level of accomplishment of the mission.

My understanding is that promotions were awarded for the sum of all accomplishments, while medals were awarded for individual missions. In the game it seems more like the medals are more or less part of promotions.

What the medal system should be like:
X points on a single mission=medal #1
2(or whatever)X points on a single mission=medal #2

and so on....

and if i'm not mistaken several medals of the same type could be awarded to a flyer in at least some cases.

Oh, and the awards for the Japanese just seem bizarre, i'm sure they had medals and not just things you can buy at the flea market http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Saunders1953
07-01-2005, 07:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Oh, and the awards for the Japanese just seem bizarre, i'm sure they had medals and not just things you can buy at the flea market </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They didn't have many, and accomplishments often were acknowledged by some personal token from the ranking admiral/general. My understanding has always been that the Japanese didn't keep an "official" kill score by pilot, but that the honor for them went to the whole unit. What we know of Japanese pilot kill tallies is mostly from personal diaries and the like.

Zinger98
07-01-2005, 09:02 AM
Some of the medals are also out of whack. The Navy and Marine Corps Medal is for NON-combat bravery.

Atomic_Marten
07-01-2005, 10:19 AM
About Japanese WW2 airwar medals; I have read on many occasion that exceptional pilots (mainly distunguished themselves by bravery on front) were received something like public pointing out; they were received 'personal citation'.
But also they were receiving medals in old fashion way http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

Personal citation to Master Sergeant Yukio Shimokawa (IJA) from Maj Gen Akira Horiuchi on 28 Jul 1945:

"Upon taking part in the battle on the Southern front, you fought bravely in aerial combats, though you lost the sight of your left eye. You never abandoned your duty as an airman. You believed your special skill has accelerated greatly. You belonged to the transportation department. In march 1945, when you were ordered to transport planes to Taiwan, you happened to intercept US Navy fighters over Kyushu. You dashed into them and destroyed some of them; the others flew away. Since then, you belong to the Ninth Flying Unit and are in charge of education for students as an assistant instructor. You train them keenly and seriously. You overcame your handicap. You train them day and night. You have done your duty well. It can be said that your achievement is the result of your gift, but your spirit to do your duty and effort are remarkable. You are ideal airmen. You are hereby commended."

Atomic_Marten
07-01-2005, 10:23 AM
For you guys that want more explanation for conf.ini campaign settings, follow this link
http://www.users.on.net/~mjtm/IL-2/index.html IL-2 Shturmovik Stab 5.1

it is excellent utility for FB/PF. You can easily customize many of DGen options and many more (I use that program regularly).

RAF__Swede51
07-01-2005, 10:43 AM
Hi
I'm going through a couple of US campaigns and I've been awarded 'cloverleaves' for being awarded a second or third medal. All good fun.
One question I had is, when I can't make it back to the airfield I took off from and have to bail out, even fairly close, the game won't let me 'apply' and the only choice I have is to 'refly' and start the whole mission all over again... Kinda like that movie 'Groundhog Day'.
Seems to me if one bails out within walking distance of the airfield, even after making some kills on the mission, you should be able to fly the next mission.. That seems odd.
Is there a setting that deals with that sort of thing?

Atomic_Marten
07-01-2005, 12:09 PM
@RAF__Swede51 your answer is yes, there is "No instant success" in difficulty settings. If you turn this off, then as soon as you spawn on runway you can quit mission and apply.(you do not even have to take off).
You can make test for yourself.

I prefer realistic campaign settings (AI is somewhat in better position since they will almost always detect you if you line up on their 6). Immersion is better IMO. It is fun to just make it, pure survival, while on pit off settings and with icons on, you can get 5+ kills regularly per mission.

You can avoid repeating missions even if you fly on 'realistic' (everything turned on in diff. sett.) if you achieve mission goals (once when you see "Mission Complete" you can hit Escape and exit mission even without landing.)
However, if you do not see this message thru you mission, you *must* land if you are to be able to 'Apply' mission results.(when land, you see message "Hidden target complete" -- BTW this is worth 100 points just like one-engined aircraft kill, so do not miss it whenever possible.)

Zeus-cat
07-01-2005, 04:20 PM
I believe medals are awarded for achieving so many total points in your campaign. The game has room for 8 medals per nationality (award_0 thru award_7). You are awarded them as you acculmulate points, not for herioc action or anything else. You could get the US Medal of Honor for blowing up a single car in a mission because that car gave you enough points to get you to the level for "award_7" or whatever the MOH is in the game.

Therefore, the awarding of medals is overmodelled.

Zeus-cat

RAF__Swede51
07-03-2005, 03:58 PM
S! Atomic Marten
Thanks for that info.. very inlightening.
Yes I have seen that 'Hidden Goal Complete' many times and wondered what that meant as far as what the briefing said.. I've never seen the Hidden Goal discussed in the briefings.. is this true and is there a way to find out ahead of time?
The Instant Success thing makes sense because I have tried some third party campaigns where in some missions I don't know how one can possibly survive them. I mean I tried everything from just running to hiding in a hanger and the AI find you everytime. One in particular 'Beaufighter in the Desert', or something like that, is one example. Hopelessly out numbered and nowhere to go. I spent all evening replaying the same mission trying to protect the Beaufighters and failed everytime. So it seems one has to use that setting to just get though some of these missions?