PDA

View Full Version : to hyperthread or not to ht, that is the question

jfain
11-21-2005, 11:54 AM
so i have heard hyperthreading is good for some applications and sometimes not. For playing video games online, is it good. any one with experience. i am going to turn it off tonight and see what happens.

jfain
11-21-2005, 11:54 AM
so i have heard hyperthreading is good for some applications and sometimes not. For playing video games online, is it good. any one with experience. i am going to turn it off tonight and see what happens.

sparrow420
11-21-2005, 02:54 PM
Hi!

I switched HT off, and ran a benchmark (Black death track, I think it was called) and the frame rate dropped with about 20-30%...

That was in the "old days" of IL-2. But I assume that PF will be no exception.

Keep it on!!!

Cheers,

Sparrow

PS: There are programs that do not benefit from HT. At work we use Matlab (computational program), and switching on/off HT did nothing?! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

VW-IceFire
11-21-2005, 03:16 PM
For games its reported to be either having no effect or having a positive effect.

On professional servers the HT is sometimes causing slowdowns during peak operating times and some server admins have turned HT off on their servers to increase overall performance.

Severs tend to be under constant loads while games tend to demand small things very quickly so I think HT benefits games and multimedia applications but not the big servers.

R_Target
11-21-2005, 03:38 PM
From what I've seen, it doesn't do much for gaming, but turning it off doesn't really help either.