PDA

View Full Version : OT How we have fallen...

MrBlueSky1960
02-10-2007, 07:36 AM
Is it any wonder we dropped "Great Britain" and started calling ourselves the "United Kingdom" when you read things like this...

http://www.somersetcountygazette.co.uk/mostpopular.var....postcode_lottery.php (http://www.somersetcountygazette.co.uk/mostpopular.var.1179543.mostviewed.war_hero_a_vict im_of_nhs_postcode_lottery.php)

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

MrBlueSky1960
02-10-2007, 07:36 AM
Is it any wonder we dropped "Great Britain" and started calling ourselves the "United Kingdom" when you read things like this...

http://www.somersetcountygazette.co.uk/mostpopular.var....postcode_lottery.php (http://www.somersetcountygazette.co.uk/mostpopular.var.1179543.mostviewed.war_hero_a_vict im_of_nhs_postcode_lottery.php)

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

JG52Uther
02-10-2007, 08:03 AM
Are we 'united'?
Afraid this sort of thing goes on here a lot.
Its a disgrace really. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

AKA_TAGERT
02-10-2007, 08:07 AM
Seems to be the natural cycle of things? IMHO The USA peeked in the early 60s and has been on downward slide that I don't see us pulling out of either.

MadBadVlad
02-10-2007, 08:27 AM
Awful story, quite depressing. I am not looking forward to reaching retirement, if I ever get that far, in the UK.

Pirschjaeger
02-10-2007, 08:31 AM
It's amazing that an elderly gentlemen, one who risked his life and killed for his nation only to come home and pay taxes for half a century for that same natoin's war dept, cannot get a little necessary help.

4,000 pounds is a drop in the bucket compared to what he gave.

ploughman
02-10-2007, 08:44 AM
Right there Pirsch. His generation not only saved the nation in World War II they rebuilt it afterwards. As you say 4,000 is bugger all compared to what he's given.

Pirschjaeger
02-10-2007, 09:01 AM
In my opinion, it should be a given that WW2 vets receive free medical, especially now since there are so few left.

It's the least a nation could do.

x6BL_Brando
02-10-2007, 09:07 AM
A spokesman for Taunton Deane Primary Care Trust said: "At the moment this drug is still being considered by the National Institute of Clinical Excellence (NICE).

"It was brought to our attention that a Taunton man has been told that he might benefit from this treatment, but that he would have to pay for it.

"Somerset PCT has not re-fused to pay for this treatment; however, in the interim while NICE is considering the drug, we would ask that this man, or his doctor, contacts the PCT to ask to be considered for funding.

"We will do this on a individual basis, taking in all the circumstances."

While it's all very emotive stuff for the Tory MP and all the rest of the people who love to indulge in Govt-bashing by proxy, i.e. by pillorying what remains of our NHS, it's worth remembering why drugs are first tested by NICE. Doesn't anyone remember Thalidomide?

It might also be worth reflecting on why the NHS is in such a parlous state - and which party was in power when the PCT idea was set up. This was also the party that reduced personal taxation (that paid for useful things like State medical care), sold the public utilities to foreign interests, wrecked the transport infrastructure and now blame everything on the incumbent party. What selective memories the Tories have.

I'm sorry for the war veteran. I'm sorry for anyone who can't get instant and full treatment from our under-funded NHS - but we need to remember that it was public greed that led to its present position.

B.

heywooood
02-10-2007, 09:26 AM
Who can make a difference in a democracy?

the apathetic, lazy rabble it consists of?

or the voraciously self-indulgent politicians they relenquish their rights and desires to.

You decide.

TopGunBkk
02-10-2007, 01:24 PM
heres my take
you were great once but now are only united
hahaahahhaahaahah

america is great

jensenpark
02-10-2007, 03:24 PM
no different in Canada...

You'd be run over by our gov't rushing to give the drug if it was someone in prison, or an illegal...

HC_Whitfurrows
02-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Surely you, TopGunBkk, if you have sense enough, can appreciate some good old American sarcasm and understand me when I say: "I am so proud to consider you one of my countrymen."

Now please choke, and trouble us no further.

A troubling story at the very least. Unfortunately, it is likely to continue, especially with the swelling ranks of veterans and immediately war-wounded that both of our nations are seeing. It is a great fear of mine that our situation in the states may be even more troublesome, considering the increasing privatisation of our medical system.

Waldo.Pepper
02-10-2007, 03:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jensenpark:
no different in Canada...

You'd be run over by our gov't rushing to give the drug if it was someone in prison, or an illegal... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand the frustration behind your words, and indeed sympathize, but they are not accurate.

My wife is 44 years old, and has exactly the same eye disease. In a five day period she went from 20-25 (approx.) to 20-400. She has since had laser treatments in both her eyes and similar injections of a medicine called Avastin. She received this treatment within a week of the Macular Degeneration being diagnosed. To be perfectly accurate the Avastin is NOT covered by BC Health but it is affordable at $60 CDN per injection. Her eyesight is still terrible, but it has improved to the point that she can read most things except for small font on peculiar colours (with difficulty) and a pair of dime store reading glasses. If her eyesight remains at this level for the rest of her life we will both be well pleased. Better would be better. But all I am hoping for is to avoid the worst. Her eye Surgeon said to us that people with this condition will go blind without intervention in two years, and even with the best treatment there are of course no guarantees.

Fingers crossed.

sukebeboy
02-10-2007, 09:23 PM
Move to Sweden!

http://www.jacatu.de/wbb2/t7850-swedish-versus-british-nightclubs.html

GH_Klingstroem
02-11-2007, 03:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sukebeboy:
Move to Sweden!

http://www.jacatu.de/wbb2/t7850-swedish-versus-british-nightclubs.html </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha As a swede all I can say, ITS SOOOO TRUE!!! Dang its bad for my heart everytime I go out cuz thats exactly how it is!

ARCHIE_CALVERT
02-11-2007, 08:35 AM
Waldo...

Here in blighty the other evening I caught the last few moments of a documentary in which they were talking about the benefits of eating Spinach to help ward off the onset of MD (Which, correct me if I'm wrong can be brought on through having had to much sunlight?) Anywhoo, they showed a woman who already had MD and she was saying that here eye sight had definitely had a slight improvement since she had been eating her Spinach ... Have you heard the same?

Spinach
Spinach is loaded with iron and folate, a B vitamin considered so important that it is now routinely added to flour. Folate not only prevents neural-tube defects in babies but also lowers blood levels of homocysteine, an amino acid that irritates blood vessels and is linked to heart disease. Just as impressive, spinach contains two phytochemicals, lutein and zeaxanthin, that seem to ward off macular degeneration, a leading cause of blindness...

Adam906
02-11-2007, 02:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
it is affordable at $60 CDN per injection </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

HA! Say that when you are 80 years old and on a pension living virtually hand to mouth. While I see what you are trying to say, its not 'just' $60. I couldn't afford an extra $60 out of my wage each week for ten weeks.

Free health care and education are a birth right and should be extended to every citizen born in country. My mother's side is English, I'm Australian and have lived in Canada and I can say unfortunately, England can never go back, Australia has a government doing to the nation what the Torries did to England and Canada seems to have a government less than qualified to intentionally screw things up...they just get lucky a lot.

MaxMhz
02-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Disgusting.
This kind of beancounters you have everywhere. How these people (?) can look at themselves in the mirror is quite frankly beyond me.

Waldo.Pepper
02-11-2007, 03:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the benefits of eating Spinach </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Archie I appreciate your words. I shall send you a PM rather than turn/hijack this further into a thing about Marija. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

jensenpark
02-11-2007, 06:25 PM
Waldo:

glad there is hope.

Having had the pleasure of meeting Waldo's better half (ok, MUCH better half) a few times, I can easily say she is one of the sweetest ladies out there.

Fingers crossed and prayers said buddy.

Philipscdrw
02-11-2007, 06:39 PM
I thought "Great Britain" was the landmass which contains England, Wales and Scotland and is part of the "British Isles" which includes Ireland and the assorted Isles.

The "United Kingdom" is a political unit under Queen Elizabeth the Third consisting of England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, The Assorted Miscellaneous Isles Of Britain, Berwick-upon-Tweed and the Falkland Islands.

But I could be wrong.

Interestingly enough, the NHS in Wales, Scotland and NI is run by the local assemblies, not by Westminster, and in those countries it isn't messed around anywhere near as much as it is in England. Similar for transport, I think.

Bo_Nidle
02-11-2007, 07:03 PM
Whatever you call it, UK or GB, this country is on its arse!

Between the most corrupt government this side of a banana republic and the absolute insanity being displayed within our institutions, such as the legal system and health service, we are truly a nation in disarray.

I have told my two lads to get out at the first opportunity.

I am proud of what my Nation once was. I am utterly ashamed of what it has become.

Taylortony
02-11-2007, 07:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bo_Nidle:
Whatever you call it, UK or GB, this country is on its arse!

Between the most corrupt government this side of a banana republic and the absolute insanity being displayed within our institutions, such as the legal system and health service, we are truly a nation in disarray.

I have told my two lads to get out at the first opportunity.

I am proud of what my Nation once was. I am utterly ashamed of what it has become. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never have a more concise and truer thing been said about the state of the UK, we seem to have sold it down the river for Political correctness.... Its a tinder keg of simmering resentment to what is being done to it....... one day it will all explode.

I cannot imagine how a party can be allowed to be in power running the Economy of a Country when they can't even balance the books of their own party without bribing people to donate to them.....

HC_Whitfurrows
02-12-2007, 08:47 PM
Funny, that's EXACTLY what we're saying here in the Plutocratic States of America. To a pin.

By the way, Bo_Nidle... you mentioned telling your lads to get out while they can... any reccomendations?