PDA

View Full Version : Does Fraps slow down your system?

Wild.Bill.Kelso
12-20-2007, 07:09 AM
I just purchased Fraps and when I run it, it seems that many programs that access/display graphics cause my system to really slow down. This happens in just Windows when I run some graphics programs, like IrfanView Image Viewer, TouchBuddy/TB Toolkit, and IL2. I have not tested with other games yet.

Usually I can play IL2 with Excellent Graphics settings. But last night, I was playing IL2 with Fraps runnng and had to set my Graphics Settings to Very Low to get decent fps. Finally, I remember to try and close Fraps. Then IL2 ran on Excellent Graphics with good fps again.

I have not tried running Windows in Safe Mode to test this out yet, but will soon. This is just crazy and Fraps Support just says to update my graphics drivers and they have not heard of this before. I am running the lastest Omega ATI drivers.

My System:
3.0ghz cpu, 1gig mem, ATI Radeon 9700 128 meg, Windows XP Pro.

Thanks for any comments/help.

WBK

Wild.Bill.Kelso
12-20-2007, 07:09 AM
I just purchased Fraps and when I run it, it seems that many programs that access/display graphics cause my system to really slow down. This happens in just Windows when I run some graphics programs, like IrfanView Image Viewer, TouchBuddy/TB Toolkit, and IL2. I have not tested with other games yet.

Usually I can play IL2 with Excellent Graphics settings. But last night, I was playing IL2 with Fraps runnng and had to set my Graphics Settings to Very Low to get decent fps. Finally, I remember to try and close Fraps. Then IL2 ran on Excellent Graphics with good fps again.

I have not tried running Windows in Safe Mode to test this out yet, but will soon. This is just crazy and Fraps Support just says to update my graphics drivers and they have not heard of this before. I am running the lastest Omega ATI drivers.

My System:
3.0ghz cpu, 1gig mem, ATI Radeon 9700 128 meg, Windows XP Pro.

Thanks for any comments/help.

WBK

dbillo
12-20-2007, 07:35 AM
Wild.Bill, I've only used the free version, which is probably over a year old, and never had such problems with it.

There is a thread in the MM forum of someone with the same problem, sounds like:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/65710358/m/430...791058816#6791058816 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/65710358/m/4301011416?r=6791058816#6791058816)

Maybe a solution will come out of that.

Wild.Bill.Kelso
12-20-2007, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the reply dbillo. I am checking that other thread out...

In my original post, I forgot to mention that this all happens even when I am 'not' using fraps to capture anything at all. Just running Fraps does this.

Also, another app that slows down is the Visual Basic 6 development environment.

IDF_Raam
12-20-2007, 09:27 AM
I have been using the free version for more than 2 years, no problems at all.

WWSensei
12-20-2007, 12:20 PM
it should add no more than 1%-2% of overhead. Make sure you aren't actually recording video via fraps while playing. That would certainly slow down performance.

Wild.Bill.Kelso
12-20-2007, 01:53 PM
Fraps Support thinks it is probably a conflict with something else I am runnng. The cpu is not maxed out, and Fraps is not using much of the cpu when it's just sitting there. Maybe some other app is using or holding on to some resource Fraps needs?

I was just hoping somebody else has already solved something like this with Fraps...

Diablo310th
12-22-2007, 06:58 AM
Wild Bill....I've been using the free version of Fraps for many years now. No problems here either. It sounds to me like an above poster that maybe you are activating the record video part somehow. Check you key settings to make sure you don't have a key mapped in IL2 that also is mapped to Fraps.

Wild.Bill.Kelso
12-22-2007, 07:26 AM
Thanks Diablo,

That's not the main problem, but you have made me realize my key combos are bad. I had screenshot setup to PrtScreen, and Video capture to Alt-PrtScreen.

But two nights ago, while playing IL2, I did press Alt-PrtScreen to captuer a screenshot of my main monitor only (not the entire desktop), not realizing I was turning on video capture. So, I'll have to re-think the keys.

What key combos do you guys use?