PDA

View Full Version : Question from a veteran newbie: Trim

TugZooey
02-25-2004, 07:25 AM
Newbie here for several months still:

Question about trim:

Do I need to adjust trim for anything but flying level? And if I do so to fly level, do I need to reset it to "neutral" when engaging enemies (meaning: does it affect my performance if I've already trimmed al, rudder, or pitch?).

Thanks!

TugZooey
02-25-2004, 07:25 AM
Newbie here for several months still:

Question about trim:

Do I need to adjust trim for anything but flying level? And if I do so to fly level, do I need to reset it to "neutral" when engaging enemies (meaning: does it affect my performance if I've already trimmed al, rudder, or pitch?).

Thanks!

M0NS
02-25-2004, 08:06 AM
No & yes. It might be a good thing to reset before engaging enemies. I never use trim for anything - I simply use the stick to put the plane where I want it. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

S!

M0NS

"So when Diogenes perceived that he was greatly excited and quite keyed up in mind with expectancy, he toyed with him and pulled him about in the hope that somehow he might be moved from his pride and thirst for glory and be able to sober up a little. For he noticed that at one time he was delighted, and at another grieved at the same thing, and that his soul was as unsettled as the weather at the solstices when both rain and sunshine come from the very same source."

(Dio Chrysostom "Discourse" 4.77-78)

Cajun76
02-25-2004, 08:15 AM
This is a weird subject around here, but legitimate. It's weird because the trim doesn't quite operate like real life, and there are some trim exploit flyer's out there.

So this my experience. I set my trim to take the "wander" out of my nose, meaning: getting my plane to fly relatively straight, regardless of nose up or down. This will vary depending on the a/c, some planes it seems impossible (for me, at least) to set them up this way, even using both rudder and aileron trim. Some a/c do not have trim, and this is modeled as well, or not modeled if you want to look at it that way. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

As far as flying level, it has been my experience that it takes a lot of nose down trim to fly level in the P-47. If the trim is left as such, it affects my ability to use the elevator to it's full effectiveness. When I enter combat, I reset my elevator only, if I had it dialed in to fly level. Normally I'm trying to get every meter I can underneath me, so it's rare for me to have her leveled. Hope this helps, good luck and

Good hunting,
Cajun76

http://img12.photobucket.com/albums/v30/Cajun76/Real_35a.gif
What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Bansai Potato
02-25-2004, 08:16 AM
Trim cheat has been removed then?

full nose up trim always used to turn you faster once you got the wings into the vertical for a 180 deg turn.

http://homepage.hispeed.ch/Ede_EAF92/EAF/24890632.92EastIndiaSquadronpersonnel.jpg

TugZooey
02-25-2004, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the tips everyone. I think I may just try flying without it for a while, or take your advice and neutral out my elevator before engaging. I have a crappy stick and trim seems to help me rock less when I'm trying to stay on a certain flight path (I've still yet to perfect my profile for my stick!).

Again, Thanks!

JG14_Josf
02-25-2004, 11:59 AM
Trim can be used as an air speed indicator.

If you trim for 400kph and you find yourself pulling back on the stick a lot then in effect what you are doing is selecting a slower speed.

If during combat you understand the need to maintain vertical maneuvering speed which is very close to 400kph in the FWs then trim can serve as a reminder and indicator in the effort to maintain this important level of excess energy.

During combat, as the fight unfolds, the pilot is often inspired to pull back on the stick to gain possition, but with trim set at 400kph the FW190 pilot can discipline himself to ease off on pulling back on the stick with the understanding that he will maintain at least vertical maneuvering speed by simply letting go of the stick, and each time the energy fighting pilot pulls on the stick he can be assured that his energy level is going to decrease.

On the other hand if the energy fighting pilot with a plane trimmed at 400kph is finding the need to push on the stick during maneuvers then he can be certain that the plane is going too fast and burning energy at a higher rate than optimal.

Understanding this funtion of elevator trim can allow the player to judge his airspeed with a mind toward elevator input. During combat the player may not have time to look at the airspeed gauge but if he can keep track of how long the stick was pulled back from a trimmed out level state he can judge how much energy his plane has lost in the maneuver.
This technique is a very good way to keep track of energy levels.
The player can learn to be more deliberate with elevator input. The player can build a feel for speed with the knowledge that x amount of elevator deflection is going to cost y amount of energy loss, etc.
If a player does not understand this funtion of elevator trim and he goes about moving elevator trim in a haphazard manner then it is likely that the player will find himself out of energy often with the plane trimmed for a very slow speed.

Cold_Gambler
02-25-2004, 12:09 PM
Interesting post Josf... usually I never touch the trim but I will give that a try http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

gates123
02-25-2004, 12:51 PM
Thats interesting, I use elevator trim more then any other button in the game. Especially right before i fire so my shot will be a sure hit. If i dont use trim then the target will bounce and I dont want that when im trying to get a firing solution. Plus you'll have to adjust trim for prop pith settings and throttle settings, its a never ending job for me.

http://gr.fipu.krasnoyarsk.edu/camms/archive/ww2_fighters/0112/pics/0112_2_1.jpg
Did anyone see that or was it just me?

JG14_Josf
02-25-2004, 01:40 PM
Gates123,

I fly with trim also; as much as, if not more than, using the stick. Trim is constantly being adjusted when I play. However I know at which speed the trim wheel is adjusted. During manuevering it is important to set the trim wheel for the type of maneuvers. For angles tactics or when turning hard for possition the trim wheel is set at a slow speed and I know where this possition is relative to the detent. Slow speed angles tactics result in a trim wheel setting counter clockwise past the detent. When trimming for slow speed angles tactics it is important to understand that vertical maneuvering requires a push forward on the stick in order to gain enough speed to go up.
When trimmed for slow speed angles tactics it is often the case that relaxing on the stick will result in climbs, stalls or slow flight.
When trimmed for slow speed angles tactics it is not often the case that relaxing on the stick will cause the plane to accelerate. This is what happens when I play because I like to fly fast. This is why I usually trim for higher speeds during combat maneuvering. Less turning and more high speed stuff for me, but when turning is required then it pays to trim for slow speed.

I think what I am trying to say is that if you are going to use trim then it is important to keep track of it, to always know at which speed the trim is set, and that trim can be used to help feel the planes simulated speed.