PDA

View Full Version : stall craziness when turning and diving!!

cchowarth
04-28-2009, 02:20 AM
Hey guys. I may be asking a no-brainer here, but why is it that when I go low throttle to go inverted and dive, my plane always stalls and spins? My airspeed is pretty high, and I thought stalls happened at low speeds.
Same thing with turning; when turning sharply, should I be throttling up or down?
This stuff seems to happen a lot in the I-16. I mean, what's the point of gaining altitude if your dive usually ends up in you spinning for 1000m and dying? The I-153 also does this on takeoff for me, but it doensn't say "stall", just goes all crazy and tips over. Help!!!

cchowarth
04-28-2009, 02:20 AM
Hey guys. I may be asking a no-brainer here, but why is it that when I go low throttle to go inverted and dive, my plane always stalls and spins? My airspeed is pretty high, and I thought stalls happened at low speeds.
Same thing with turning; when turning sharply, should I be throttling up or down?
This stuff seems to happen a lot in the I-16. I mean, what's the point of gaining altitude if your dive usually ends up in you spinning for 1000m and dying? The I-153 also does this on takeoff for me, but it doensn't say "stall", just goes all crazy and tips over. Help!!!

Metatron_123
04-28-2009, 02:52 AM
Maybe the stick sensitivity is too high and you are without wanting to attempting to pull violent maneuvers at low speeds?

Tully__
04-28-2009, 03:55 AM
A stalled wing can happen at any speed. It happens when the angle between the wing and direction of travel gets too big.

In order to fly level your wings need to producing lift equal to the weight of the aircraft. The lift produced by your wing is governed by airspeed (more speed = more lift) and angle of attack (more angle = more lift). If you slow down while flying level, your lift due to speed decreases. In order to maintain level flight as you slow down, you need to increase the wing's angle to the wind (angle of attack) to make up for the loss of speed. Stall speed is the speed where the wing angle has reached to maximum it can reach to compensate for reduced speed without stalling. If you go slower, the wing will stall and the aircraft will lose altitude.

If your wing is trying to make more lift than your aircraft's weight (in turns, increasing your rate of climb or pulling out of dives) then the speed where the wing stalls increases. If you pull or push hard on the joystick, you can easily swing the wing angle past the critical angle of attack at just about any speed. This is called an accelerated stall.

Note that a stall can happen at both positive (stick back) and negative (stick forward) angles of attack.

When you're close to stall speed, the wing is even more sensitive. When an aileron control is moved down to try to raise a wing, it effectively increases the angle of attack. If you're already close to critical angle, this can make that wing stall. When taking off in the I-153, instead of trying to keep the wings level with the joystick, use the rudder to swing the nose away from the low wing. This will stop the wing from stalling and make your takeoffs somewhat easier.

K_Freddie
04-28-2009, 04:33 AM
To summarise... be gentle on the stick, slow movements until you get the feel of the plane - every plane is different.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Tully__
04-28-2009, 06:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K_Freddie:
To summarise... be gentle on the stick, slow movements until you get the feel of the plane - every plane is different.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
LOL, yeah, I do go on a bit sometimes http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Ba5tard5word
04-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Yeah you just have to practice and get used to how hard you can pull on the stick on each plane.

The I-16 is VERY prone to flipping and losing control at any speed if you pull back hard on the stick. Go gently on it and take more advantage of the fact that it rolls left and right pretty quickly.

A lot of planes you will notice will flip over if you pull back hard on the stick--they'll start pulling to the right then suddenly flip over and if you're unlucky and don't regain control, you'll totally lose control and start spinning like a frisbee and crash into the ground.

The I-16, Spitfire, Fw-190, Tempest and several others do this. The Bf-109 and La-5 and other planes don't do it as much because they have slats on the front of the wings that prevent high-speed stalls. But you can still stall them at very low speeds.

There was a recent topic here about high-speed stalls that went into more detail, maybe someone can find it.

thefruitbat
04-28-2009, 10:37 AM
also, what do you call pretty high airspeed?

VW-IceFire
04-28-2009, 04:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thefruitbat:
also, what do you call pretty high airspeed? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Its the one next to ludicrous speed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

But in all seriousness you can stall a plane at any speed...its not just a slow speed thing. Years of simplified gaming can make you want to believe otherwise.

M_Gunz
04-28-2009, 04:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cchowarth:
This stuff seems to happen a lot in the I-16. I mean, what's the point of gaining altitude if your dive usually ends up in you spinning for 1000m and dying? The I-153 also does this on takeoff for me, but it doensn't say "stall", just goes all crazy and tips over. Help!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The harder you pull, the faster you need to be going.
And if you don't keep turns coordinated then a skid will quickly turn into a spin.

cchowarth
04-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Ok, that all makes sense. I think it would help if I stop manhandling the stick. Thanks for your help guys!