PDA

View Full Version : Game Performance

Cooper4F
04-13-2004, 08:29 PM
Well, I finally got Forgotten Battles today, and needless to say I was rather excited. That is until I got home and saw how it put my computer to the test. My computer failed miserably.

I need some tips on how to make the game run at a resonable rate.

I checked the specs on the box, and yes I know you don't want your computer just meeting the minimums, but my computer isn't at the minimums in quite a few areas.

First off, my CD drive is like a 32 speed.

My CPU is a Pentium 4 running at about 1.6 GHz.

I have 256 MB of RAM.

My video card is a Geforce 2 Go that is 32 MB I believe.

My sound card checks out, and I have DirectX 8.1 I believe.

I don't do multiplayer, but my internet connection is high-speed cable.

Can you guys give me some suggestions of video settings I should use to help the game run faster.

Even the opening movie is a bit choppy.

Is my computer just too slow for this game?

I would hope not as it's only a little more than a year and a half old.

Cooper4F
04-13-2004, 08:29 PM
Well, I finally got Forgotten Battles today, and needless to say I was rather excited. That is until I got home and saw how it put my computer to the test. My computer failed miserably.

I need some tips on how to make the game run at a resonable rate.

I checked the specs on the box, and yes I know you don't want your computer just meeting the minimums, but my computer isn't at the minimums in quite a few areas.

First off, my CD drive is like a 32 speed.

My CPU is a Pentium 4 running at about 1.6 GHz.

I have 256 MB of RAM.

My video card is a Geforce 2 Go that is 32 MB I believe.

My sound card checks out, and I have DirectX 8.1 I believe.

I don't do multiplayer, but my internet connection is high-speed cable.

Can you guys give me some suggestions of video settings I should use to help the game run faster.

Even the opening movie is a bit choppy.

Is my computer just too slow for this game?

I would hope not as it's only a little more than a year and a half old.

Agamemnon22
04-13-2004, 08:34 PM
Well, for starters make sure you have good video drivers. Nvidia Detonator v45.33 are supposed to be the best of that line.
You can get them here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/pc_winxp-2k_45.33.html

Secondly, your video card is probably the source of the problem and as its a 2Go card, I assume we're talking about a laptop. In this case, make sure your power settings are set to maximum when you play the game (right click on the little lighbulb icon in the bottom right corner).

Aside from that, I don't think there is much else we can do without spending money. Try out the above and let us know how it works, if its still choppy, see what your ingame graphics settings are like. You'll want to turn them down to increase frame rate.

wotan111
04-14-2004, 12:51 PM
You need 512 memory minimum and a new graphics card with your cpu Id buy a geforce 4 or a 5200fx.
Really you need a new cpu aswell but if you need to buy a MB aswell just get 256 memory and a new card though not top of the range as you wont get more bang due to your cpu speed.

The speed of your CD drive doesnt matter. You also need a reasonable fast hard drive.

Its not your CPU but your memory and card are well under what is needed.

Also update to direct x 9.

wotan111
04-14-2004, 12:57 PM
One last thing put all you r settings in the game option to low use 16 bit not 32.

The game will not look as pretty but it might play better.

If it doesnt you need to upgrade. If you want the game to look good you need to upgrade again 256 memory and a better card a card for about 60 will do.

fordfan25
04-14-2004, 03:11 PM
i had almost ur exact set up in my desktop a 1.6 256pc2100ram and a g.f2 mx and the game ran horrible minumum specs are a flat out lie dont even bother reading them. i went upto a ti4200gforce4 and bumped my rame up to 512 now i play the game on medium detail and on most campaigns i get about 25 to 30 fps in combat as long as im not over a city.wich isnt all that great but its playble.also turn your sound options domn as low as you can with out makeing your speakers mad.if you upgrade the way i did your cpu is still going to keep you from geting good fps but unless you got plenty of cash to drop on a new pc itll do hope that helps a little

mortoma
04-14-2004, 05:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wotan111:
You need 512 memory minimum and a new graphics card with your cpu Id buy a geforce 4 or a 5200fx.
Really you need a new cpu aswell but if you need to buy a MB aswell just get 256 memory and a new card though not top of the range as you wont get more bang due to your cpu speed.

The speed of your CD drive doesnt matter. You also need a reasonable fast hard drive.

Its not your CPU but your memory and card are well under what is needed.

Also update to direct x 9.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nonsense, his CPU is plenty fast enough. Anything over 1.6Ghz will play the game fine if the person has enough memory and a strong enough video card. His CPU is 1Ghz over what he truly needs.