PDA

View Full Version : P39 Flat Spin

howlingmunkies
12-02-2004, 10:08 AM
This could be due to my inexperience... but when the P39 stalls it seems to go straight into a violent flat spin. Any tips on how to get out?

Soapy_112th
12-02-2004, 10:34 AM
Normal stall/spin recovery is to apply opposite rudder to the direction of spin, and throttle back, in a flat spin, if you have enough altitude, you can also apply full forward stick and deploy full flaps ( and then gear too if you are still spinning) I found that this last ditch desperate move seemed to work maybe 20 percent of the time, and you end up with broken gear and jammed flaps, but at least you are still in the air http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Snootles
12-02-2004, 11:04 AM
This flat spin is one of the reason American pilots generally disliked the Airacobra. The location of the engine behind the pilot does something wacky with the center of gravity.

Airacobra flat spins are pretty durn hard to escape from, don't feel bad if you can't do it. I usually can't.

TgD Thunderbolt56
12-02-2004, 11:14 AM
The fact you're getting into a few spins is a good sign though. If you're not flying the Cobra close to the edge then you're not getting the most out of it.

Escaping from a Cobra-spin, I've found, is mostly dependent on you initial altitude when the spin begins. Under 2k, you might as well bail out. I ususally recover just before I hit the ground when I'm below 3k.

TB

Enofinu
12-02-2004, 11:30 AM
its almost impossible to get myself in Flat spin in cobra, if it goes off hand, rightaway opposite rudder while stick centered, you do fine, no panic, it just goes fine after that. Anyone wonders how that over 4 ton plane can make loop under 250kmh just after take off? no fear of stall or something. thats a wonder plane i´d say. In stall fight it is UBER.

LWulffe_Dumbo
12-02-2004, 12:22 PM
In flat spins with most aircraft, including the P-39, I've found it helps immensely to kill the throttle, release my hand from the stick entirely, and apply hard rudder opposite the direction of the spin. Seems to work for me most of the time...not always, though. Of course, all of this assumes you've got enough altitude to play with.

georgeo76
12-02-2004, 12:49 PM
The Cobra has two stages to it's spin. the fast spin, and the slow spin. you must first develop the slow spin before you can recover. If your in a fast spin, throttle back, ignore the stick and rudder WITH the direction of the spin. Once you achieve slow spin, rudder opposite the spin, 0 throttle, and push the stick forward. Sometimes you have to 'pump' the stick between forward and neutral to get out.

howlingmunkies
12-02-2004, 03:05 PM
Thanks for all the great replies and tips Gents! Looks like I have an evening of spin practice http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bearcat99
12-02-2004, 03:23 PM
I think the P-39 spin is pretty much on. It was a bit worse in 3.01.. more like the original IL2 P-39.

faustnik
12-02-2004, 04:22 PM
The 3.02 early Cobras are a lot of fun to fly! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Willey
12-02-2004, 05:46 PM
The D-2 seems to have some incredible performances (23m/s climb, 545kph on the deck etc), but it's spins are quite deadly, hard to get out.

LeadSpitter_
12-02-2004, 08:16 PM
p39 was one of the better US turning aircraft of wwii becuase of its center balance from the engine as oleg explained to me previously when i questioned its manueverablity.

Also the p39 being an aircraft to always go violently into a flat spin is not really true. All the docs oleg showed me this happened to the aircraft when all rounds were expent which threw the center of gravity of the plane slightly off.

Same with the p51d rear 85 gallon tank many used that fuel for take off and drained it for climb. Not all p51ds had the 85 gallon tank behind the pilot either. In game looking back to the left you can see its always full. I wish this game was more complex in the fuel dep with fuel tank selectors and fuel dump.

HotelBushranger
12-04-2004, 11:34 PM
p-39s are always a nuisance. hard bank and youre in a stall, quick turn and youre in a stall, any hard manouvers and youre in a stall. the most stally aircraft ive flown. stalling in high altitude, you wanna, well yeah pretty much do everything the other blokes have said, i apply full rudder opposite direction, if youre stalling right put throttle on 0%, if stalling left throttle on 100% works for some reason http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif when your nose starts to till down, push the stick down with it, turning a tiny bit to speed up recovery. then get back into the fight, problem is youe lost a few thousand feet of air! lol

JG5_Scorpius
12-05-2004, 03:34 AM
From the official pilot instructions:

http://home.tiscali.nl/adsl446606/P-39%20spin%20recovery.doc

mortoma
12-05-2004, 10:31 AM
For some reason I almost always can get it out of the P-39 spin because I don't let the spin develop very far to begin with. But I can't get out of a spin in the Beaufighter, and neither can anyone else as far as I know. If you can get out of a Beaufighter spin, save the track for sure because nobody will believe you otherwise. With the P-39, flying it a lot will help you more than anything because you'll get good enough with it to not get in spins to begin with.

NORAD_Zooly10
12-05-2004, 11:49 AM
its easier to tell if the plane is going to hell if you have a force feedback joystick, its like the plane is telling you whats going to happen. btw if flown with some sense its one of the better turning planes in the game.
~S~
Zooly

Zarathael
12-05-2004, 01:19 PM
Amazing... An intelligent disgussion of an in-game issue that doesn't revolve around somebody complaining that something is wrong with the game. Once more... amazing I salute you

SilverWings25th
12-05-2004, 01:41 PM
Zara, the p39 complaining about the flat spin had about 50 threads previous to this one, they are all worn out complaining about it lol..

The select few who can fly the P39 are elite, and know how to fly.