PDA

View Full Version : Formation Flying

darkhorizon11
02-22-2005, 10:30 PM
I like to build missions in my spare time.

As a mission builder one of my biggest gripes is only being able to put four planes on a set of waypoints. I understand that this is supposed to represent a flight but on some larger bombing missions this can be a pain. Although my computer and FB is unable of simulating 500+ planes that were common on air raids I ussually ride with about 40 or so aircraft. Its few enough for the comp to run smoothly (it gets choppy when the bombs strike) but enough to give the illusion of being hopefully outnumbered and overwhelmed (on the LW missions). The problem is to get some a huge formation to fly together following seperate waypoints takes a lot of annoying tweaking of airspeeds and course and wasted time too boot.

Anyways what I'm getting to is that you should be able to tailor like an entire squadron of 16 or so planes to one set of waypoints and be able to choose the type of formations. Even if it were only for bombers, fighters generally fly looser formations but bombers were packed in tight for protection. Then if there were an option to choose the type of formation and avg. distance things could get all the more realistic.

If we do that why not stop there? Get rid of the annoying bug where if the leader is fatally hit and starts a steepwturning descent with the crew still inside the whole flight follows. Instead, the wingman will step up as the leader. Or if one of the bombers (not just the leader) is still controllable but loses an engine and can't keep up his flight stays with him nursing him back to base.

I know its too late and impractical for Forgotten Battles of Pacific Fighters but it would be an awesome feature for BoB. It would definitely add to that immersion factor we all love so much!

darkhorizon11
02-22-2005, 10:30 PM
I like to build missions in my spare time.

As a mission builder one of my biggest gripes is only being able to put four planes on a set of waypoints. I understand that this is supposed to represent a flight but on some larger bombing missions this can be a pain. Although my computer and FB is unable of simulating 500+ planes that were common on air raids I ussually ride with about 40 or so aircraft. Its few enough for the comp to run smoothly (it gets choppy when the bombs strike) but enough to give the illusion of being hopefully outnumbered and overwhelmed (on the LW missions). The problem is to get some a huge formation to fly together following seperate waypoints takes a lot of annoying tweaking of airspeeds and course and wasted time too boot.

Anyways what I'm getting to is that you should be able to tailor like an entire squadron of 16 or so planes to one set of waypoints and be able to choose the type of formations. Even if it were only for bombers, fighters generally fly looser formations but bombers were packed in tight for protection. Then if there were an option to choose the type of formation and avg. distance things could get all the more realistic.

If we do that why not stop there? Get rid of the annoying bug where if the leader is fatally hit and starts a steepwturning descent with the crew still inside the whole flight follows. Instead, the wingman will step up as the leader. Or if one of the bombers (not just the leader) is still controllable but loses an engine and can't keep up his flight stays with him nursing him back to base.

I know its too late and impractical for Forgotten Battles of Pacific Fighters but it would be an awesome feature for BoB. It would definitely add to that immersion factor we all love so much!