PDA

View Full Version : My n00b Adventures

Hrdina
11-20-2004, 09:46 PM
Having recently purchased FB Gold, I have been trying to learn the ropes using one of the suggested methods; set up QMB missions with easy targets.

My gunnery is subpar at best, but I quickly got tired of shooting friendly bombers, so switched to hostile ones. Most of my early attempts were using IL-2 and La-5, with occasional success. I love the IL-2 because I get to listen to the rear gunner yelling at me.

Looking to try something new, I switched to a P-38J, and actually managed to down a pair of Gladiators. You can laugh (I do), but those Gladiators routinely embarrassed me when I flew the La-5, so it was nice to finally smoke one.

My most recent mission was my P-38 against 4 He-111Z and 4 Ju-52. I downed the Henkels, suffering only a pair of fuel leaks, then chased down the Ju-52 squadron and took them out after a dozen passes or so.

Feeling good about myself, I headed for the nearest airfield, and even managed to land despite bouncing several times, nearly scraping my tail on the ground. I managed to collect myself, and even managed to find a taxiway and head off to park.

It was at this time that I taxied right into a hangar. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Player wounded
Player severely wounded
Player killed</pre>

Maybe one day I'll muster up the courage to find an online server that doesn't mind beginners.

Lunix
11-21-2004, 01:03 AM
Come online the weathers fine. I think you will find yourself most welcome on almost any server you find.

Shame about the hanger, nothing like having a good sortie and coming home safe and sound.

Hrdina
11-21-2004, 09:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lunix:
Come online the weathers fine. I think you will find yourself most welcome on almost any server you find.

Shame about the hanger, nothing like having a good sortie and coming home safe and sound. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It all happened because my wife had the kids in the car and was waiting for me to go out. I could have ended the mission anywhere, but just had to park properly near the hangars...
http://home.earthlink.net/~hrdina/flight/hangar.jpg

Thanks for the online welcome. I do plan to give it a try (once I get Hyperlobby installed), but I have to finish packing my parachute first. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

FlatSpinMan
11-21-2004, 09:49 AM
I hear ya, Hrdina! I recently graduated to trying to shoot down enemy fighters in QMB and pilot career (BTW, if you haven't already, download Extreme_One and Poymando's campaigns - they're really fun and varied). I say 'trying' as i have had my rear quarters handed to me a couple of times by some embarrassingly outdated planes while I'm whizzing around merrily in a Spit (i like the '41 version - stable, nice guns, real purty). To my immense gratification though I have tallied up 9 kills in campaigns (plus 8 own aircraft "mishaps" but let's not talk about that right now). It is SUCH a good feeling to get a kill and save your bombers but there is no way I'm heading out on-line yet.that would be demoralisin I think. But soon I have no doubt I'll be the scourge of the skies http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

knightflyte
11-21-2004, 10:03 AM
I understand what you mean..... but no matter HOW good your skills get... flying against human opponants is a DIFFERENT game altogether.

Once you are comfortable with your bird of prey..(or in my case bird of plight)... go online. Heck, even if your NOT comfy... go online. Once you get shot down wath the action and learn.

It's fun...and I get that tingly feeling when I fly online.

(Ooooops was that last part outloud?)

regards,
Robert

Jumoschwanz
11-21-2004, 10:30 AM
Recently I thought of an excercise that will let you know if you are ready to be competitive online:
Go into the QMB and set it up so you are in one fighter and the enemy has four La5fn fighters. Set the difficulty to hard, disable aaa so it is not a factor.

When you can bring this scenario to a close, either shooting down the four La fighters or wounding them so they run for home before you run out of ammo, then you might have some success on a crowded dogfight server.

A good seasoned online pilot is a much tougher opponent than the AI in the game. Being able to regularly beat one AI in the QMB is nothing, you have to go one against four to develop the reflexes,instincts, situational awarness, and target tracking ability that is needed online.

Now this does not mean you cannot go online right now and have fun. It is good to get used to being shot down and taking it in stride. Even after flying online with the Il2 series for almost three years now, I often go online and am bounced and shot down without firing a shot. All I have gained with my experience is the ability to shoot down one or two others for each time I am downed.

It is great fun to be in a lengthy dogfight with an opponent of roughly equal ability, no matter what the outcome. This is rare online, as usually there are wingmen around to interfere, and as in WWII, most kills online in servers with realistic settings, cockpit on/no-icons/no views, start with a bounce on an opponent who is at some disadvantage.
Welcome aboard and S!

Jumoschwanz

RobertNighthawk
11-21-2004, 06:14 PM
Flying biplanes vs. biplane is great fun too. You may wish to go into your conf.ini file and change arcade from 0 to 1, click save, restart and notice that you can easily obseve whether or not you are actually hitting the target by pausing the game after a burst (just hit "P"). This is quite helpful in learning deflection shots. When you first start flying you do not realize how much you must lead your opponent to actually score any hits on many of these shots. Try it if you haven't mastered this skill yet. Really fun stuff and a great study in physics and motion. After you have tired of the arcade mode(probably won't take too long) go back into conf.ini and change to arcade=0, save and rock on!

Delighted to see you are having such a good time. I am too. This game is the best.

S!

WOLFMondo
11-22-2004, 01:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hrdina:
Maybe one day I'll muster up the courage to find an online server that doesn't mind beginners. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try UK dedicated on Hyperlobby, there a nice bunch, they have relativly freindly settings compared to full real servers (no cockpit, externals on, limted icons etc) and they have some good maps.

Hrdina
11-22-2004, 10:10 PM
S! and thanks for the warm welcome, it's much appreciated.

I am looking forward to getting online, but definitely want to get a little more time in offline missions first. Using Jumoschwanz's criteria, I am nowhere near ready yet. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I did poke around the ubi.com interface (but didn't join), but it sounds like hyperlobby is the place to be.

I have been trying to keep my settings as "real" as I can handle at this point. I have CEM off with unlimited ammo, icons & externals, but I think most everything else is active. I still have a lot of trouble with SA. I don't have TrackIR, and I'm using an old (gameport) Thrustmaster FCS/WCS2 combo (along with my CH USB rudder pedals). The TM FCS has a hat switch, but it's only 4-way and the programming interface doesn't play well with XP. Hopefully I'll be able to upgrade sometime next year.

VW-IceFire
11-22-2004, 10:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WOLFMondo:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hrdina:
Maybe one day I'll muster up the courage to find an online server that doesn't mind beginners. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try UK dedicated on Hyperlobby, there a nice bunch, they have relativly freindly settings compared to full real servers (no cockpit, externals on, limted icons etc) and they have some good maps. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
There so needs to be more of these types of servers!

Welcome to the community and enjoy the ride. Online will be an interesting experience...keep your head down and do your best http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JR_Greenhorn
11-22-2004, 11:24 PM
I have been trying to keep my settings as "real" as I can handle at this point. I have CEM off with unlimited ammo, icons & externals, but I think most everything else is active. I still have a lot of trouble with SA. I don't have TrackIR, and I'm using an old (gameport) Thrustmaster FCS/WCS2 combo (along with my CH USB rudder pedals). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I began with pretty much the same difficulty settings as you. I quit using unlimited ammo quickly out of guilt, and you know what they say about using unlimited ammo...

I started with icons on as well, but I found they were luring me into chasing planes around on dead six waiting for the distance to get to 0.5km so I could shoot. I turned the icons off, and never looked back. I find myself trying angles shots and deflection shooting more often now. I'm still not the best, but I wasn't even trying with icons on.

I still use externals to some degree. I've got a $9.99 joystick, so you know it doesn't have a hat switch. It replaced the joystick I've had since Windows 3.11, which kept breaking.

Anyway, I've learned to use the numpad (F9 toggled) snap views, and I'm pretty good with them now. I don't have the coordination to southpaw the mouse, but I did a lot of pausing to get my bearings from externals while getting used to snap views. I find myself hardly ever "jumping out for a look" these days--only when I get really mixed up or something cool happend that I've just got to take a closer look at.

Looking back, I'm still not much of a pilot, but it feels good to cast off the crutches and be over the steep end of the learning curve.

FI.Snaphoo
11-23-2004, 12:28 AM
Congratulations on being able to land! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I would say that my landing skills would be sketchy at best, and I'm online. Of course, I don't get much opportunity to land in all honesty. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif But I would have to say that overall I've had a good time online, everyone seems to be relatively friendly. Very much the antithesis to most online gaming experiences that I've had. So, I'd recommend getting on HL when you can. It's a lot of fun... Try Warclouds, that's a good server, greatergreen is too... There are a few others that I can't remember that, as a N00b, I enjoy because the gang at those places are pretty cool.

Have fun, and hope to see you in the virtual skies soon mate.

Friendly_flyer
11-23-2004, 02:46 PM
If you don't feel good enough to go on-line, you could get some friends together and do small co-op missions just for your self. When you and your friends are getting a hang of it, you can fight each other. Biplane fights are insanely fun!

Hrdina
11-23-2004, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the welcome, VW-IceFire. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FI.Snaphoo:
Congratulations on being able to land! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I would say that my landing skills would be sketchy at best, and I'm online. Of course, I don't get much opportunity to land in all honesty. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ha! I have no doubt that my hard-won landing skills will rarely be tested when flying online. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FI.Snaphoo:
Have fun, and hope to see you in the virtual skies soon mate. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Friendly_flyer:
If you don't feel good enough to go on-line, you could get some friends together and do small co-op missions just for your self. When you and your friends are getting a hang of it, you can fight each other. Biplane fights are insanely fun! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
What are these "friends" that you speak of? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JR_Greenhorn:
I began with pretty much the same difficulty settings as you. I quit using unlimited ammo quickly out of guilt, and you know what they say about using unlimited ammo... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, I decided to use unlimited ammo so I could get a lot of practice without having to keep reflying missions. No doubt it isn't helping my gunnery skills, though, when I don't have to conserve ammo.

As far as deflection shots go, I have been practicing those. My QMB missions are usually against bombers, and they do sometimes make you pay for lingering on their six!

I appreciate everyone taking the time to welcome & help me. If the people online are half as friendly as the folks here, things will be great.