PDA

View Full Version : Brand new IL-2 1946 4.07m won't start on Windows 98... ?

mike_rolowski
09-19-2010, 06:25 AM
Hi there.

I bought '46 only days ago (behind the times) and installed it yesterday. After waiting forever, the install finished and I hit 'start'. Nothing. I thought the PC might have needed a restart. Nothing. Clicked the desktop icon again. Nothing. Under Start > Programs, nothing. Under Windows Explorer. Nothing. It seems to bring up the egg timer for a second and then do nothing except create some log file in the main game folder every time, which says something to do with Java when I read it in Wordpad. The name of them always ends in a different 9 or so figure long number...

A bit annoyed, obviously. I had a fairly unmodded 4.04m FB+AEP+PF before and the original IL-2, both worked fine and always started, including first time.

The only things I can think of is that 1946 is installed outside Program Files on my PC (as recommended) and that I used no-cd cracks for the other two, and so maybe I need a fixed exe for '46?

My PC is fairly ancient:
- Processor: Pentium 1Ghz (unsure of details)
- Graphics GeForce 5200FX (I think)

But this shouldn't matter because 4.04m worked fine on this lot.

Any help asap would be very much appreciated guys.

Many thanks in advance.

mike_rolowski
09-19-2010, 06:25 AM
Hi there.

I bought '46 only days ago (behind the times) and installed it yesterday. After waiting forever, the install finished and I hit 'start'. Nothing. I thought the PC might have needed a restart. Nothing. Clicked the desktop icon again. Nothing. Under Start > Programs, nothing. Under Windows Explorer. Nothing. It seems to bring up the egg timer for a second and then do nothing except create some log file in the main game folder every time, which says something to do with Java when I read it in Wordpad. The name of them always ends in a different 9 or so figure long number...

A bit annoyed, obviously. I had a fairly unmodded 4.04m FB+AEP+PF before and the original IL-2, both worked fine and always started, including first time.

The only things I can think of is that 1946 is installed outside Program Files on my PC (as recommended) and that I used no-cd cracks for the other two, and so maybe I need a fixed exe for '46?

My PC is fairly ancient:
- Processor: Pentium 1Ghz (unsure of details)
- Graphics GeForce 5200FX (I think)

But this shouldn't matter because 4.04m worked fine on this lot.

Any help asap would be very much appreciated guys.

Many thanks in advance.

mike_rolowski
09-19-2010, 06:28 AM
Oops! Wrong board! I posted it in community help too so please delete this one if possible.