PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Service Pack 2 Problems

e2michaelb
02-26-2005, 07:10 PM
A word to the wise. Watch out for the WinXP SP2 upgrade. My experience with it has not been good. After allowing SP2 to be downloaded and installed, I began to experience game lock-ups that required "Ctrl-Alt-Del" + "End Program" to unlock and return to desktop. So I removed SP2 from my machine. The game (FB/AEP/PF) returned to normal operation. Then it started to lock up again, so I checked out the "Add/Remove" function and discovered a gazillion microsoft "hot fixes", which I attributed to an ill-advised decision to allow automatic downloads of upgrades from microsoft. I proceeded to start removing these hot fixes, one-by-one, and quickly reached the point where the 'puter won't boot up. It has now been in the shop for 5 days, and may need re-formatting or reinstallation of Windows XP http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif. I would be interested to know if anyone else has had similiar experiences with SP2. Among other things, the computer techies informed me that if I keep my Norton anti-virus/fire wall programs up-dated, having the XP updates is not that big a deal. The game problems I experienced seemed to occur most often when exiting either a Dynamic Campaign mission or a downloaded campaign (e.g.- "Cat's Eye"). I will know more when my CPU comes back with the techie's diagnosis, but I will definitely be avoiding microsoft's "up-grades". I don't think they are particularly compatible with PF, et al.

Seahawk89
02-26-2005, 08:41 PM
SP2 will only expose problems that you already have. There is NOTHING wrong with it. Avoiding Microsoft updates would be a very bad decision. Sorry to be blunt but I am saving you time from going down the wrong road. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

atomicali
02-26-2005, 09:33 PM
I agree with Seahawk89.
I have 2 comps with XP SP2 and FB etc on them. I have had no problems at all.
I also have about 10 teenagers in my LAN group who all run XP SP2 with various games, from Half Life, through CoD, Zero Hour, HL2 etc etc. Not one of them has had a problem related to SP2.
The only recurring problem some have is with ZoneAlarm. If they forget to put the lan in the trusted zone then ZA can block the game.
Your problem sounds more like a heat buildup.
So I would be checking all fans and heatsinks for dust clogging etc.
As for those techies recommending not to install it, well I would be going to some different ones. I reckon they are full of ****e.

han freak solo
02-26-2005, 09:38 PM
I've run my rig with Service Pack 2 installed on XP Home version for at least 3 months. I also download the relevant Windows Updates.

IL2FB/AEP/PF runs great for this rig before and after SP2. I run it merged and separate.

Compaq Presario
2 GB AMD Athlon
1 GB RAM
128 Meg NVIDIA GeForce 5500
2 x 80 GB Hard Disks

Crash_Moses
02-26-2005, 09:39 PM
SeaHawk makes a good point but I too had severe problems after installing SP2. The system wouldn't boot or it would crash soon after and many of my files were scrambled. Eventually I ended up reformatting the hard drive. Lost everything. After searching the MS knowledge database I found that the majority of users having this problem were those who had just made a hardware upgrade and had kept XP faithfully updated and then installed SP2 (I had just upgraded my motherboard and CPU) although there were many who hadn't. There was some indication the problem actually lay in SP1 but I found nothing specific.

Anyway, my solution was to order the SP2 CD from Microsoft (it's free) and then reinstall XP and then SP2. DON'T update XP before installing SP2. That's when things go wacky. Since SP2 contains all previous updates you don't need to update XP before installing.

After I did this my system ran fine. In fact, it runs great.

han freak solo
02-26-2005, 09:44 PM
Maybe I should add that I haved used McAfee Internet Security Suite for the past year and I don't use Internet Explorer.

I surf with Mozilla 1.7.5. I used Mozilla 1.6 for the prior year.

icrash
02-26-2005, 09:46 PM
I run SP2 with FB/AEP/PF and haven't had any problems. Another thing it may be is there is way too much running in the background. Your pc has to deal with all that stuff plus everthing in the game. I ran into that with Excel on a lower powered pc with all the stuff in the background. I had the spreadsheet doing several calculations & the program would lock up. It just couldn't handle everything & bogged down. After sitting for several minutes it would "catch up" with everything and would be ok. I took care of my heat problem by leaving off the side panel on the pc (whole thing locked up and only cutting it off then back on worked).

VW-IceFire
02-26-2005, 09:58 PM
SP2 installed with no issues. I use the Network install version on all of my PC's at home now. I've got it on CD and just take it around to each when they get reformatted.

My procedure is to physically disconnect the network cable so they aren't connected to the internet. Then install WinXP. Then install SP2 off the CD and then finally reconnect to the network and download the latest updates with all due haste. Its reported that the average WinXP machine unpatched (with no SP1 or SP2) will succumb to a worm or other exploit of some sort within 30-45 minutes.

3.JG51_BigBear
02-26-2005, 10:05 PM
I installed the serve pack 2 on three computers. Two went super smooth and I couldn't be happier, the third one got totally corrupted. Oddly enough the only computer to have a problem was the one I didn't build but bought from HP, go figure. I had to run the recovery disks which came with the PC and basically start all over with it after I installed SP2.

Cess-SGTRoc
02-26-2005, 10:21 PM
SP2 if not the Issue. It seems to me by reading you post that you had this before and it came to light when you started deleting things.

I would venture a guess that you REG file was trashed by a drop out or a reboot or a power drop Sometime in the past.
I have SP2 on all my computer and they are running fine with not a problem.

Longjocks
02-26-2005, 10:49 PM
I've always found Windows installation a flip-of-the-coin affair. Install it once and there are no problems. Install it again six months down the track from the exact same disc onto the exact same system with the exact same options and all of a sudden you need a registry hack to stop MSN Messenger from loading no matter what boxes you uncheck. The same can go for SP upgrades. Chances are you could do a format and reinstall and everything will run great.

I've been running SP 2 since day one and get the Windows upgrades fairly regularly and I can't say I've had any real issues out of the norm. Certainly nothing described in this thread anyway.

ARM505
02-27-2005, 01:56 AM
I installed SP2 on my HP laptop, which had been kept up to date. I was not running Zonealarm or any anti virus. On completion of the install, it asked to reboot. It then went into a continuous reboot cycle. Starting in safe mode etc didn't work. A non-destructive reinstall of XP didn't help either, and I was forced to do a destructive re-install. Thanks Microsoft, thats some time I'll never get back.

ARM505
02-27-2005, 01:59 AM
Hey! I just thought of something silly. Isn't microsofts slogan 'Where do you want to go today?' Maybe they should change it to 'Where do you want to BE today?' ie. The will to go somewhere doesn't necessarily imply that you would ever get there using their products. If you see what I mean.

Sorry, it was a late night :-)

Tvrdi
02-27-2005, 02:35 AM
SP2 is great update for better protection but IT SLOWS down ur PC...thats what u can read on the forums from users who installed it...

Flakenstien
02-27-2005, 03:20 AM
Agree with most of the above, I have used SP2 since it was Beta and have had nothing but excellent improvement.
The number one problem that those with SP2 installs is the fact that "spyware" is already on the machine before installing SP2,you must make certain that no viruses or spyware or on the hard drive before installing!!!!
As for hotfixes SP2 contains all the previous, I don't allow auto-updates becasue whenever I have had problems it was caused by them http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Now some "graphics" experts claim that SP2 will degrade your graphics and frame rates, I have a GeForce 5200 so I can't tell a differance http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gifbut it is documented that SP2 isn't better for extreme gamers.
All in all SP2 is the best thing for XP IMHO, just a matter of making sure your computer is clean of viruses and spyware before installing.
The "spyware info" can be found at the M$ site.

zjulik
02-27-2005, 09:18 AM
SP2 represents a major clean up of yer windows. Numerous patches upon patches are replaced with one, probably meaning a smaller and faster system folder. Personally I have to go with the majority of posts regarding SP2 around the net indicating that the pack *will* speed up your gaming experience, for reasons mentioned above. It certainly hasn`t slowed down my rig.

But since SP2 is a major upgrade, and since XP is used by millions, there will certainly be opposite experiences. As posters above have said, something must have been corrupt before, perhaps in the very code that was meant to do the SP2 install process for you. Creating a system restore point before upgrading would have been wise.

Going down the "uninstall hotfixes" lane is not something I would do.

Tgd_Voxman
02-27-2005, 09:56 AM
After you sort out SP2, I recommend the following:
Black Viper's site (http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm)

e2michaelb
02-27-2005, 05:38 PM
Many thanks to all who responded to my thread. You guys gave me some really good info http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif, and I will be sharing it with my repair shop techies tomorrow A.M.

atomicali
02-27-2005, 11:10 PM
A couple more points
Crash_Moses
If you swapped a motherboard and cpu without reinstalling windows, then all I can say is
serves you right. With a mobo change you should always reinstall windows, or at the very least run sysprep before the change.
VW-IceFire
What you want to do is slipstream SP2 into the XP cd then you wont have to trot around installing SP2 on to each comp after a reinstall.
Here is a link to one site that gives a description on how to do it.
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=295

EnGaurde
02-27-2005, 11:35 PM
aaah computer jargon

ive seen this idea of SP2 on windows installs elsewhere, recently actually.

what struck me?

lets think up a word that was never intended to have anything to do with computers, slap a second totally non intuitive meaning on it, and baffle everyone yet again http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

that word?

SLIPSTREAM !

words like "incorporate" or "merged" or "melded" or "welded" or "joined" or "updated" or even unlikely ones such as "packed" or "mated", would give an inkling that something had been added / merged / joined.... you get the picture.

instead, naah lets make it sound fast. Lets describe something with a word that in no way means joined, updated, merged etc.

god i hate this industry.

i just cant swallow all the fecking horsesh!t terminology it forces upon us.

And DONT get me started on acronyms and the w@nkers that just lurve to spout them whilst trying to look all that...

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

atomicali
02-28-2005, 12:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EnGaurde:
aaah computer jargon

ive seen this idea of SP2 on windows installs elsewhere, recently actually.

what struck me?

lets think up a word that was never intended to have anything to do with computers, slap a second _totally non intuitive _meaning on it, and baffle everyone yet again http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

that word?

_SLIPSTREAM !_

words like "incorporate" or "merged" or "melded" or "welded" or "joined" or "updated" or even unlikely ones such as "packed" or "mated", would give an inkling that something had been added / merged / joined.... you get the picture.

instead, naah lets make it sound fast. Lets describe something with a word that in no way means joined, updated, merged etc.

god i hate this industry.

i just cant swallow all the fecking _horsesh!t_ terminology it forces upon us.

And _DONT_ get me started on acronyms and the w@nkers that just lurve to spout them whilst trying to look all that...

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ye and you know what I hate?
Little whingers that compalin about everything and have nothing to add to the thread.
Crawl back into your hole little man.

EnGaurde
02-28-2005, 12:04 AM
HA

unless youre a mod who decides what gets posted and not, you and your suggestion might as well pucker up and place a loving kiss on my ruby red a$$, atom boy.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

sp2 works fine for me.

meh.