PDA

View Full Version : Tracks

MGBurrows
01-31-2005, 04:43 PM
I have had an occasional problem with tracks saved by my computer. On occasion it does not save the real version, but seems to invent a fictional version that it saves.
Exempli gratia: Last weekend I flew off of a carrier in an F2A - just downloaded the patch - and flew into Japanese airspace at 8,000ft ASL. I ran into the Zero on CAP and what followed was one of the coolest dog fights I've been in. It see-sawed back and forth and we shot the (expletive deleted) out of each other until I finally bagged him when he cut throttle in a failed attempt to get me to over-shoot and I blasted him into confetti from 50 yards. I then limped back to my carrier and landed.
I watched the track. I first noted something was wrong when I did not react as the Zero closed in from front and low, pulled into a climb, and fired; missing behind. I just (on the track) kept flying straight and level. The Zero then pulled in behind me but was too far back.
Then I Immelmanned.
From there on out it's all Zero. He was on me and stuck on me like glue no matter what I did.
In the end I was in a dive and the Zero fired from an oblique angle above and behind and hit my engine. It seized. I then did a very uncharatceristic thing for me in such situations: I rolled and crashed into the ground.
Had it actually been me I would have leveled off, flared and bellied in.
Then got out and shook my fist at the offending Zero.
?
Small parts of it happened. Some of the evasive maneuvers were the ones I pulled. Only they worked when I did them. That's why the fight see-sawed.
Another wierd one was Moffet's first Check-flight in Carrier Ops. I conducted three take-offs and three landings, all successful and up to snuff. I saved the track.
On the track my first landing attempt I make a nice, smooth approach (Just like I did it IRL). I thought it rather peculiar, because I didn't recollect being so far off to starboard during my approach...I new it was peculiar when I landed in the sea starboard of the carrier. Hmmm....
I then watched as my F4F floated while the carrier sailed along it's merry way. Meanwhile - as though I am completely unaware that I am in the drink - I put the chocks in, retracted my flaps to take off setting,then retracted my tail hook. I then request permission to take-off from tower, get it, and run the throttle back up.
It was really rather silly.

Is this happening to anyone else, or is my computer just completely stoned?

MGBurrows
01-31-2005, 04:43 PM
I have had an occasional problem with tracks saved by my computer. On occasion it does not save the real version, but seems to invent a fictional version that it saves.
Exempli gratia: Last weekend I flew off of a carrier in an F2A - just downloaded the patch - and flew into Japanese airspace at 8,000ft ASL. I ran into the Zero on CAP and what followed was one of the coolest dog fights I've been in. It see-sawed back and forth and we shot the (expletive deleted) out of each other until I finally bagged him when he cut throttle in a failed attempt to get me to over-shoot and I blasted him into confetti from 50 yards. I then limped back to my carrier and landed.
I watched the track. I first noted something was wrong when I did not react as the Zero closed in from front and low, pulled into a climb, and fired; missing behind. I just (on the track) kept flying straight and level. The Zero then pulled in behind me but was too far back.
Then I Immelmanned.
From there on out it's all Zero. He was on me and stuck on me like glue no matter what I did.
In the end I was in a dive and the Zero fired from an oblique angle above and behind and hit my engine. It seized. I then did a very uncharatceristic thing for me in such situations: I rolled and crashed into the ground.
Had it actually been me I would have leveled off, flared and bellied in.
Then got out and shook my fist at the offending Zero.
?
Small parts of it happened. Some of the evasive maneuvers were the ones I pulled. Only they worked when I did them. That's why the fight see-sawed.
Another wierd one was Moffet's first Check-flight in Carrier Ops. I conducted three take-offs and three landings, all successful and up to snuff. I saved the track.
On the track my first landing attempt I make a nice, smooth approach (Just like I did it IRL). I thought it rather peculiar, because I didn't recollect being so far off to starboard during my approach...I new it was peculiar when I landed in the sea starboard of the carrier. Hmmm....
I then watched as my F4F floated while the carrier sailed along it's merry way. Meanwhile - as though I am completely unaware that I am in the drink - I put the chocks in, retracted my flaps to take off setting,then retracted my tail hook. I then request permission to take-off from tower, get it, and run the throttle back up.
It was really rather silly.

Is this happening to anyone else, or is my computer just completely stoned?

FoolTrottel
02-01-2005, 12:06 PM
As nobody seems to dare to admit it, i'll try to answer this..... it's a known feature...
I've seen it before. But that was when I saved a track of a mission I had flown and saved before, (and maybe another time before that) and the replay just didn't show the last mission flown and saved, but one earlier.
Indeed, very strange.

Better check the Movie Makers Forum (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=frm&s=400102&f=65710358), I think I just saw a post like yours... ('Shooting at ghosts (...)')

Anyways, you're not alone!

AFSG_Jedi
02-01-2005, 05:18 PM
I have had this problem as well. My example is... I was doing practice carrier landings with an F4F Wildcat. I was not doing so good, lost too much energy on approach and lost too much altitude. I actually skied on the water with the gear. Fearing the inevitable water landing I gave it full throttle popped up and stalled right on the rear of the deck of the carrier. A perfect touch down. Didn't even snag a wire. I locked the chocks & saved the track to show my friend who would have had little interest. Needless to say when I replayed the track it displayed my wildcat not even lined up on the carrier, going into the water and not recovering but sinking. I have yet to have a repeat of this incident but it was quite dissapointing then. Also note: if you didn't know already...that game version tracks are not compatible with new game versions unless they are saved as '.ntrks'

MGBurrows
02-01-2005, 06:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AFSG_Jedi:
I have had this problem as well. My example is... I was doing practice carrier landings with an F4F Wildcat. I was not doing so good, lost too much energy on approach and lost too much altitude. I actually skied on the water with the gear. Fearing the inevitable water landing I gave it full throttle popped up and stalled right on the rear of the deck of the carrier. A perfect touch down. Didn't even snag a wire. I locked the chocks & saved the track to show my friend who would have had little interest. Needless to say when I replayed the track it displayed my wildcat not even lined up on the carrier, going into the water and not recovering but sinking. I have yet to have a repeat of this incident but it was quite dissapointing then. Also note: if you didn't know already...that game version tracks are not compatible with new game versions unless they are saved as '.ntrks' <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I figured that out. Of course, I've only just now learned how to save an .ntrk. It only works on the "Quickstart" key. When I do it by hitting "esc" then "Start Recording" I lose all sound in the game.

Well, at least I know my computer's not wasted....just has a bad memory. Either that, or he's a lyin' son of a (guess).
Thanks.

MGBurrows
02-01-2005, 06:40 PM
Too bad your computer blew the track recording, Jedi. That had almost Inspector Clusteau like properties to that landing.
I ran into the carrier's tail a couple of times. Once, I bounced on a tad too low approach, lost my gear and ended in the drink just port of the carrier. Oops.

Prairie_Falcon
02-01-2005, 06:57 PM
This same phenomenon has been happening to my trk and ntrk tracks (even with compatable versions and never using time compression). It is frustrating to complete an mission filled with highlights only to find later that details are omitted, and flight situations seem to be recreated resulting in crash landings, firing into blank airspace, and getting shot down in the replay, when none of that actully occurred in the mission. This sometimes occurs in uneditted tracks, but seems to always occur when I edit views using the PF/FB/AEP program (again I never use time compression when I plan to save track and edit because that always causes problems). I hope you find a solution- please post it if you do. I have about given up on editting tracks. Good luck; You have my sympathies.