PDA

View Full Version : The two overlooked features missing from AC2 (no spoilers)

Stonelaw
11-19-2009, 01:32 PM
As amazing as AC2 is as a whole, it has two glaring omissions. The developers did an amazing job addressing complaints about the first game and adding in tons of wanted features, but they missed a couple of obvious things that similar games have as basic features.

First and foremost, why is there no ability to replay memory blocks/chapters like in the first game? This is a huge oversight. This really hurts the replayability factor. Those of us who like to make videos (instructional, comedic and otherwise) are extremely hampered by this limitation, never mind all the casual players who are just looking for simple replayability without having to start over from scratch.

I can't imagine this would be tough to implement in a patch. We can already browse the listing of our completed memories; simply adding in an option to press X/A to "Launch Memory" with a confirmation of Yes or No, then go into the loading zone and start us at the beginning of that specific mission with either no armor and the most basic weapons, or equipment applicable for that point in the game. We play the mission, and once the mission and cutscenes are over, it goes back into the loading screen and we reappear in the town we were before loading up the memory. Simple, easy, effective. Nothing we do while replaying the memory needs to be saved, so there are no game balance issues. Stats (kills, money spent, etc) don't need to be recording during our memory replays, so it won't allow people to exploit achivements/trophies. I can't imagine this would take a whole lot of coding or bug-testing (I have a programming and design background, so it's an educated guess).

The second major omission is that we cannot unequip anything. We can buy new weapons and armor to replace the old ones, and we can switch between them in the villa, but we cannot unequip anything. What if I want to just have the basic assassin robes and not want to be wearing armor? Maybe I want a challenge, or maybe I care more about appearance than some extra health. Or maybe I want to challenge myself with a no-weapon run through the game.

During a normal play-through, when you kill a guard that has a better sword or mace than you, why can't you swap it out with what you're already carrying? You can loot and otherwise desecrate the corpse, but keeping that weapon laying on the ground is a faux pas? Really??

Or how about later in the game when you have a great weapon and a Brute disarms you in combat and the sword/mace ends up somewhere you cannot retrieve it, like in the water? Or if your battle covered a lot of ground, your sword "despawns" from the game, thus disabling you from returning to pick it up again. Furthermore, once disarmed yourself and you disarm a guard, his weapon now permanently becomes your weapon until you're either disarmed again or you go all the way back to the villa to switch it out. This is especially annoying if the next weapon you get stuck with turns out to be a pretty weak one. I'm still puzzled as to why such an oversight exists in this game.

A simple option to drop whatever we're carrying in the sword slot and in the short blade slot would make a huge difference in game variety and flexibility. And it could be as simple as adding a "Drop? Yes/No" option in the Animus Desktop's inventory menu. Again, it wouldn't require much in the way of coding and testing and would do wonders for the flexibility of the game as a whole.

While AC2 is not perfect, it is an excellent game. But these two omissions I find mind-boggling. The unequip thing is a no-brainer, and the first Assassin's Creed at least allowed us to replay memory blocks, a very popular feature amongst the players. What possible reasons could there have been to not include these features in this otherwise stellar sequel that seems to include everything else but the kitchen sink?

I cannot foresee these two features to be game-breaking in any way. Simply don't save anything we do (money, stats, etc) while replaying memories and still require us to purchase weapons in order for them to appear at the villa.

I really hope we'll see these features added in via a patch, as the game feels incomplete without them. However, I know from experience that it's very unlikely to happen. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif But if Ubisoft puts out the small amount of time and money required to address these two omissions, I certainly wouldn't be the only one who would be elated with the changes. In fact, I dare you to find a single player would be opposed to these features. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Stonelaw
11-19-2009, 01:32 PM
As amazing as AC2 is as a whole, it has two glaring omissions. The developers did an amazing job addressing complaints about the first game and adding in tons of wanted features, but they missed a couple of obvious things that similar games have as basic features.

First and foremost, why is there no ability to replay memory blocks/chapters like in the first game? This is a huge oversight. This really hurts the replayability factor. Those of us who like to make videos (instructional, comedic and otherwise) are extremely hampered by this limitation, never mind all the casual players who are just looking for simple replayability without having to start over from scratch.

I can't imagine this would be tough to implement in a patch. We can already browse the listing of our completed memories; simply adding in an option to press X/A to "Launch Memory" with a confirmation of Yes or No, then go into the loading zone and start us at the beginning of that specific mission with either no armor and the most basic weapons, or equipment applicable for that point in the game. We play the mission, and once the mission and cutscenes are over, it goes back into the loading screen and we reappear in the town we were before loading up the memory. Simple, easy, effective. Nothing we do while replaying the memory needs to be saved, so there are no game balance issues. Stats (kills, money spent, etc) don't need to be recording during our memory replays, so it won't allow people to exploit achivements/trophies. I can't imagine this would take a whole lot of coding or bug-testing (I have a programming and design background, so it's an educated guess).

The second major omission is that we cannot unequip anything. We can buy new weapons and armor to replace the old ones, and we can switch between them in the villa, but we cannot unequip anything. What if I want to just have the basic assassin robes and not want to be wearing armor? Maybe I want a challenge, or maybe I care more about appearance than some extra health. Or maybe I want to challenge myself with a no-weapon run through the game.

During a normal play-through, when you kill a guard that has a better sword or mace than you, why can't you swap it out with what you're already carrying? You can loot and otherwise desecrate the corpse, but keeping that weapon laying on the ground is a faux pas? Really??

Or how about later in the game when you have a great weapon and a Brute disarms you in combat and the sword/mace ends up somewhere you cannot retrieve it, like in the water? Or if your battle covered a lot of ground, your sword "despawns" from the game, thus disabling you from returning to pick it up again. Furthermore, once disarmed yourself and you disarm a guard, his weapon now permanently becomes your weapon until you're either disarmed again or you go all the way back to the villa to switch it out. This is especially annoying if the next weapon you get stuck with turns out to be a pretty weak one. I'm still puzzled as to why such an oversight exists in this game.

A simple option to drop whatever we're carrying in the sword slot and in the short blade slot would make a huge difference in game variety and flexibility. And it could be as simple as adding a "Drop? Yes/No" option in the Animus Desktop's inventory menu. Again, it wouldn't require much in the way of coding and testing and would do wonders for the flexibility of the game as a whole.

While AC2 is not perfect, it is an excellent game. But these two omissions I find mind-boggling. The unequip thing is a no-brainer, and the first Assassin's Creed at least allowed us to replay memory blocks, a very popular feature amongst the players. What possible reasons could there have been to not include these features in this otherwise stellar sequel that seems to include everything else but the kitchen sink?

I cannot foresee these two features to be game-breaking in any way. Simply don't save anything we do (money, stats, etc) while replaying memories and still require us to purchase weapons in order for them to appear at the villa.

I really hope we'll see these features added in via a patch, as the game feels incomplete without them. However, I know from experience that it's very unlikely to happen. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif But if Ubisoft puts out the small amount of time and money required to address these two omissions, I certainly wouldn't be the only one who would be elated with the changes. In fact, I dare you to find a single player would be opposed to these features. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Victoroos
11-19-2009, 01:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">kill a guard that has a better sword or mace than you, w </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Totally agree

Also few bugs with the Roob,

vrgadin
11-19-2009, 02:11 PM
agreed,i had a brute knock altairs sword away,disarmed a crappy mace, after the battle the MACE was holstered and when i picked up MY uber sword it became like a random pick up and dropped after my first kill, i was stuck with a noob mace till i got back to villa, really sucked

SWJS
11-19-2009, 02:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">First and foremost, why is there no ability to replay memory blocks/chapters like in the first game? This is a huge oversight. This really hurts the replayability factor. Those of us who like to make videos (instructional, comedic and otherwise) are extremely hampered by this limitation, never mind all the casual players who are just looking for simple replayability without having to start over from scratch.

I can't imagine this would be tough to implement in a patch. We can already browse the listing of our completed memories; simply adding in an option to press X/A to "Launch Memory" with a confirmation of Yes or No, then go into the loading zone and start us at the beginning of that specific mission with either no armor and the most basic weapons, or equipment applicable for that point in the game. We play the mission, and once the mission and cutscenes are over, it goes back into the loading screen and we reappear in the town we were before loading up the memory. Simple, easy, effective. Nothing we do while replaying the memory needs to be saved, so there are no game balance issues. Stats (kills, money spent, etc) don't need to be recording during our memory replays, so it won't allow people to exploit achivements/trophies. I can't imagine this would take a whole lot of coding or bug-testing (I have a programming and design background, so it's an educated guess). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If I'm not mistaken there IS an option to replay memory blocks. I think I heard it's under "DNA" in the menu, or something.

Cornik22
11-19-2009, 02:42 PM
You can't replay missions? Patrice said in an interview that they were going to include that feature because players (including him) really love to replay missions. Wtf? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

CRUDFACE
11-19-2009, 03:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If I'm not mistaken there IS an option to replay memory blocks. I think I heard it's under "DNA" in the menu, or something. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, you can only replay side missions! IT HAS BEEN TAKEN OUT! I CRIED A LITTLE WHEN I FOUND THAT OUT MAN!

Cornik22
11-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Can you at least freeroam the cities after you have beat the game? Something like a never ending day?

CRUDFACE
11-19-2009, 03:18 PM
lol, yeah. You can still free roam and the day and night cycles still continue.

sixburn
08-16-2010, 09:25 AM
i totally agree with you. i [edit: please do not swear] hate AC2's disabling the replay of memory blocks! it is a waste of time playing another session just to get to a particular memory. i make AC2 GMVs now i have to redo the whole thing and rerecord, geez.

I also wanto to complain about the lack of security in deleting the sessions, It should be more secure since it's online, how about entering a key or the password instead of just the confirm and cancel. my sibling accidentally deleted my first session because of a gamepad remaps(switched confirm and cancel). wtf right?