PDA

View Full Version : Vista / DirectX9 / DirectX10

akirkakirk
11-29-2007, 03:14 AM
I am confused here http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

When installed on Vista (32bit) the software says that it can't start as it can't find a DirectX 9 file...

Vista comes with DirectX 10, which is compatible with DirectX 9 games - but Chessmaster XI is obviously looking for a particular file...

Obviously I could install DirectX 9 on my machine - but how will that affect the machine generally as DirectX 10 is already on there...

Alternatively, how do you get the software to work with Vista?

I have a thread going with the support guys, but it seems pretty hopeless as they keep telling me to upgrade my graphics card drivers (up to date - XFX Nvidia GeForce 7500 GT with 512 mb RAM etc.)

Any thoughts welcomed...

regards

Alasdair

akirkakirk
11-29-2007, 03:14 AM
I am confused here http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

When installed on Vista (32bit) the software says that it can't start as it can't find a DirectX 9 file...

Vista comes with DirectX 10, which is compatible with DirectX 9 games - but Chessmaster XI is obviously looking for a particular file...

Obviously I could install DirectX 9 on my machine - but how will that affect the machine generally as DirectX 10 is already on there...

Alternatively, how do you get the software to work with Vista?

I have a thread going with the support guys, but it seems pretty hopeless as they keep telling me to upgrade my graphics card drivers (up to date - XFX Nvidia GeForce 7500 GT with 512 mb RAM etc.)

Any thoughts welcomed...

regards

Alasdair

taraboste
11-29-2007, 03:49 AM
You should trust on Chessmaster installer! When you installed the CM-GME you have not removed the check box that saying you to install DirectX, because the program detected that you had some file missing.
So, just put the CM-GME disk on your DVD reader and after Autorun starts (if not run the Autorun.exe application from disk) just select the option "Installer DirectX".
NOTE: Installing DirectX 9 over DirectX10 doesn't mean delete or change it, only make a copy file (dll) on your system directory. The DirectX 10 will work as before this operation.

KHollister
11-29-2007, 05:03 PM
Just a moment,

I understand that DirectX 9.0c would be a minimum requirement... but are you actually saying that Chessmaster XI doesn't work with DirectX 10? Or is this just a bug in the installer?

I'm running Chessmaster X on Vista with DirectX 10, and don't have a problem. I find it hard to believe that the previous version is better than the new one in this regard...

Is anyone using Chessmaster XI successfully on Vista with DirectX 10?

SSBN617
11-29-2007, 08:13 PM
Running Vista with no problems.
If having a problem it might help to download the latest drivers. I use www.guru3d.com (http://www.guru3d.com) to get them.

taraboste
11-30-2007, 02:18 AM
I'm coming again. Please read carefully my previous comment. Installing DirectX 9 over DirectX 10 in this case (CM-GME) means only to copy a dll file on your computer. Doesn't heart and cost only few minutes. I know what I'm talking, because I've worked for that.

CM-GME DEV team

akirkakirk
11-30-2007, 12:25 PM
Taraboste - thank you that works.

So I am now up and running.

However for those at UBI-Soft...

this is not a very good experience.
I do not expect to have to install directX 9 on a VISTA machine which runs directX 10 - pretty poor.

There was no documentation regarding this, and your support system is pathetic, with wrong information, and then not bothering to answer the query I had.

I am glad that it is now working, but consider it to be an experience which means I won't bother buying any more of your games...

iamtheredeemer
12-09-2007, 09:51 AM
i agree with the OP
Vista has been out for 1 yr now and it doesnt make any sense that the dev team couldnt at least "prompt" the user that it will need some old files and it will not harm the computer. Basically, the Chessmaster installer doesn't detect if you have a later version of directX than 9c. This makes me believe the dev team is using outdated tools to program their game, ugh,
and btw, Josh Waitzkin is looking scrubbier every year

taraboste
12-09-2007, 11:23 AM
I repet again, as you can read at my first comment on this topic:
"When you installed the CM-GME you should not removed the check box that saying you to install DirectX, because the program detected that you had some file missing."
So, when start the CM at the first time, the installer warning you do not uncheck the check box DirectX and if you do that the program could not work properly. If you did not read it and you not saw that we are using the last software technology, at least, you are free to make your opinions noising over the word.

gruffiki
12-15-2007, 08:02 AM
After I installed Chessmaster XI and DirectX9.0c, some of my other games, including Dungeon Siege II and Age of Empires III refused to load up. An error message box appears stating something like "Protection Stub has closed down". I couldn't fix this, even with System Restore, so I was forced to reinstall Vista, which was very painful.

gruffiki
12-17-2007, 02:31 PM
Thank you. I see my problem is just another "user error".