PDA

View Full Version : Changing the music

S1rkillalot
11-24-2004, 06:27 PM
OK, I know this is not your major concern here, but it is said in the manual that you can change the musics with your own. You just need an mp3 file, and rename it, say us.wav, in order to have a new music when us planes are selected.
In version 3.0, I used to have no sound at all with the new file. Now with 3.01, it freezes my PC, then crash/reboot it. Anyone knows I'm either doing something wrong or this feature doesn't work?

JaggedRaven
11-25-2004, 02:39 AM
I don't know about PF because I don't have it yet...but I had a similar problem in FB/AEP. I could only have three "inflight" wav music tracks in the folder, otherwise the game would get really choppy and reboot my computer. Plus I noticed it would only play short parts from each track. Perhaps the same is true with PF? I would looooove to put my own music in...especially now that we have the USN...I have the original music from "The Battle of Midway" movie. It would be too kewl.

Aero_Shodanjo
11-25-2004, 03:58 AM
It's not "renaming" to wav files but it is "converting" mp3 (ex: song.mp3) file to wav (ex: song.wav). The size of each mp3 file will be inflated considerably if converted into wav files since the mp3 is - more or less - a compressed form of audio files.

To convert those files you need a converter software (like mp3 to wav converter, or something similar) and many of those programs are freeware. Try www.snapfiles.com (http://www.snapfiles.com) for start.

Btw, I've found that there are a several kind of wav files depending on its bitrate and mono or stereo settings (among other things). Read the pdf manual for further info of the bitrate frequency and other settings of the wav files that can be played fully while flying. If the wav format is in wrong settings, you'll got no sound or halfplayed song AFAIK.(Btw, if im not mistaken, it was like 16.000 hz, mono etc etc... as i said, check the manual).

Hope this helps.

Vengeanze
11-25-2004, 04:48 AM
What Aero said.

I've recently played around with this and got it to work.
First try I made it the wrong format which made the track only play for like 10 second and then it repeated itself (like JaggedRaven described).

Sound files must be standard Windows RIFF files (with the .wav extension), however the data format should be MPEG - layer 3, 44100Hz, stereo.

I first tried to convert a mp3 in Cool Edit 2 but due to my limited knowledge I couldn't get it to work properly.
I then tried a proggie called CDex (http://www.cdex.n3.net) and it worked like a charm.

Our squad is currently developing tracks for take off and in flight that will play realistic environmental sounds like sirens, radiochatter etc.
We will publish when done.

In Battlefield Vietnam when u jump into a chopper there's this background radiochatter and it adds a great deal to the immersion.
Another thing with Battlefield Vietnam is that when u play mp3 using the ingame feature the mp3s will take up RAM.
This might be the cause in PF too - the takeoff and inflight tracks occupying RAM causing choppy gameplay.
I haven't been able to tetst this just yet.

If u need more help just reply.

S1rkillalot
11-26-2004, 05:19 PM
Cheers guys. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Well, I took my MP3 file 44Khz, stereo and converted it into wav file using Nero encoder. It now plays in the menu, but repeat itself as you guys said every 10 seconds or so. Vengeanze, is there a way to listen to the whole music? Thanks.