PDA

View Full Version : Ispiring story- Fred Hargesheimer

tjaika1910
03-15-2008, 08:40 AM
I found this in a norwegian paper, its all in norwegian, but I'll guess one could google keywords and find it in english. The ex-pilot (91)lives today in California.

http://www.dagbladet.no/magasinet/2008/03/14/529728.html

tjaika1910
03-15-2008, 08:40 AM
I found this in a norwegian paper, its all in norwegian, but I'll guess one could google keywords and find it in english. The ex-pilot (91)lives today in California.

http://www.dagbladet.no/magasinet/2008/03/14/529728.html

tjaika1910
03-15-2008, 08:49 AM
Here is the same AP story in

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2008-03-08-hargesheimer_N.htm

general_kalle
03-15-2008, 09:44 AM
i will try to translate it rougly

general_kalle
03-15-2008, 10:00 AM
Downed by Japanese in 1943.
Fred is back as Hero by the island natives which saved him

Grateful Students

today several hundred kids attend the New Britain school thanks to Hargesheimers effort trough many years

the Japanese fighter
met the american from Behind and peppered it with bullets from the machine guns. the left engine went into flames. it was about time to ejekt.

the american pilot drew the realeaser but the cocpit roof above him opened only halfway. he loosened the seatbelt, stood up and was imidatly sucked out of the plane

there ascended in his parachute down towards the jungle on a pacific island.
thick (Eukalytus trees?), rivers with crocodiles, head hunter teritory.
this was enemy land. What he didnt know was that he entered the future as hero, as «Suara Auru», Chief Warrier for several Generations of island natives

FRED HARGESHIEMER WAS SHOT DOWN
in the southwest pacific the 5. june 1943

a long life later he's sitting on a quiet ranch in California surounded by mountains with snow on the top.

the light blue eyes is 91 years old and does not see aswell as in the pilot days. But when he closes them and memorize the last 65 years the smiling american see's everything crystal clear

- i am so grateful that i was shot down he say's today.

The incredible story of «Mastah Preddi» began when the 27 years old luitenant crasched in the jungle.

when he stood up «Hargy» Hargesheimer had no leg breaks but he was bleeding from his head. he laid a bandage made from the parachute around his head and began looking around.

Fred had been on Photo reconnisance, he left the base on Papua New-Guinea. the pilot was watching the ships moving around the japanese ucupated island New Britain, an island with vulcans and thick jungle forest.
1126 kilometers from the north coast of Australia.

it was there he had landed.

at the foot of the Nakanai mountains n 1200 meters he entered a wilderness with local Rain showers, Poisunus insekts and wild boars with sharp teeths
Fred checked his suvival package and found a compass, a Machete, Ammo for the pistol and two bars of chocklate with concentrated energy. the only food he had.

now im tired of translating there quite alot.
i read the story in english recently. somebody posted it on this forum.
maybe ill translate the rest sometime.

HerrGraf
03-15-2008, 10:31 PM
This story ran in our local newspaper just a couple of days ago. Very interesting.