PDA

View Full Version : How do you get maximum performance out of the Me-262 at 30,000 feet?

Flying_Nutcase
01-10-2005, 07:00 AM
Hi,

I've been flying the Me-262 in a mission at 30,000 feet, but I only get about 300km/hr (about 180mph) in level flight.

What I am missing here? I thought it may have been due to mixture, but it seems to be automatic.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Nutcase

Yimmy
01-10-2005, 07:22 AM
Just a guess, but I think it may be due to indicated airspeed being different to real air speed, you are probably going a lot faster.

How fast is the ground moving? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Athosd
01-10-2005, 08:02 AM
I managed to squeeze 370-380 km/h IAS out of the Me262a1 at just over 10,000m. It takes a while to reach that speed (which is around 670km/h TAS), flying straight and level at that altitude requires a steady hand and fine trimming.
The throttle was at 100%, rpm peaked at 7000.
Nothing much else to adjust on the 262 - so just try to keep the artificial horizon centred and wait.

Cheers

Athos

Flying_Nutcase
01-10-2005, 08:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Yimmy:
Just a guess, but I think it may be due to indicated airspeed being different to real air speed, you are probably going a lot faster.

How fast is the ground moving? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, maybe. On the dial there are two indicators, right. One shows, e.g. 500kph while the other is something like 300kph.

Real Air Speed vs Indicated Air Speed?

Noob's Question follows: What's the difference?

Thanks,

Nutcase

Jason Bourne
01-10-2005, 08:27 AM
In the 262, it does infact show both IAS and TAS. IAS is what most people will pay attention to in DFs, because that is what determines stall speeds etc. The difference is that IAS shows how fast the plane THINKS its going, ie, the equivilant (sp) airspeed at sea level. TAS is how fast it is actually covering ground

Fliger747
01-10-2005, 05:55 PM
Surprisingly the 262 (IRL) wasn't at it's best at high altitude.

You are fortunate that the games engine control is much more forgiving than the real aircraft! The main problem with these pioneering axial flow turbojets was they had no fuel control unit as such, but just had a lever which controlled the rate of fuel flow. Easy enough to cause either lean or rich flameout by a quick thrust lever movemet, so it took a pretty velvet and experienced hand at the throttle to get good performance and keep them running with power, airspeed and altitude changes.

WUAF_Badsight
01-10-2005, 06:02 PM
ever since FB v1.1 the Me262 has hit a brick wall at 7K , its RPM (& thus its performance) starts to drop at 7K

i havent tested its top speed since v2.x but last time time , it took forever to get there at that altitude & yes it will slowly go faster at extreme altitude , but has like zero climb ability up there

oleg maddox posted about this & what he related was that these jets didnt perform so good at these alts , was news to me