PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed Revelations PC and PC Games from Ubisoft in general

jackoboy9
11-26-2011, 09:08 AM
Read this and sign it: http://www.thepetitionsite.com...-future-of-PC-games/ (http://www.thepetitionsite.com/4/help-continue-the-future-of-PC-games/)

Thank you for all of you who have taken your time to read and sign this.

kudos17
11-26-2011, 09:11 AM
I'm sorry friend, but surely you must know the attitude of Ubisoft toward PC gamers. I won't go into detail if you don't, because it makes me furious, but let's just say that if you are a PC gamer your complaints are not heard.

Actually, that's not true, they are heard - they're just thrown in the basket with all the others.

Black_Widow9
11-26-2011, 12:13 PM
I'm going to move this here-
Assassin's Creed & ACR General Discussion [PC] (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/5031067519)

You might want to check out this Topic (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5031067519/m/1391086859) where it says
Temporary broadband connection required for one-time product registration at first launch, permanent broadband connection required for multi-player.
But of course you need to be connected to play Multi-player. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Dizlol
11-26-2011, 12:29 PM
Gonna sign, i'd rather have always on DRM then no more Ubisoft games, i'm already missing out on Rayman Origins, i don't want to miss out on AC3 and all other AC's http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

cless711
11-26-2011, 02:02 PM
I'm not a pc gamer, but I know how Ubisoft has been treating pc players. And as a gamer, I signed so that pc players can play games that the consoles have.

I really hope the pc gamers have their voices heard!

spectatorx
11-26-2011, 02:23 PM
I will say it again...

"Dear" ubisoft, after you will finish assassin's creed serie i will never more buy any game released by you. Your politics about releasing, protecting and "supporting" pc games are unacceptable. You do not deserve for my money and as you are saying since some time my money for you are bad. I'm ok with that. I will buy assassin's creed 3 (if you will release it for pc), i will buy any another assassin's creed if you will release it for pc but i will not buy any other game from you.

Razrback16
11-26-2011, 02:47 PM
Not signing that garbage. Yeah...let me sign all my rights away. Good idea.

The petition is irrelevant anyway -- the online DRM does NOT stop piracy. All AC games have been pirated. All of them will continue to be pirated. The console versions have been pirated. They will continue to be pirated. If people want to hack the game, they will. You won't stop them. Those of us who are willing to pay for the game, will pay for it. Those who aren't, won't. That's the way it is with both console and PC versions.

thornebrook
11-26-2011, 02:47 PM
... Erm. The always-on DRM doesn't stop piracy, it just serves to inconvenience legit buyers of the games. Pirates just remove the DRM restrictions, anyway.

Personally, if they put back the always-on DRM on AC, I'll stop buying it. AC2 was bad enough.

misssnark
11-26-2011, 02:52 PM
I'm sorry, but despite being a PC gamer, I am not signing this petition.

The cancellation of pre-orders, IMHO, has very little to do with the appearance of a cracked version of the game, and everything to do with Ubisoft's appalling customer service.

Maybe if Ubisoft hadn't called PC gamers "people who just whine and *****", people wouldn't be cancelling their pre-orders.

Aggressive DRMs are not the way to go here. There are different and better ways to reduce the amount of piracy of your products. Here is a post you might find interesting:

Piracy is a "Non-Issue" to Valve (http://gamingbolt.com/gabe-newell-piracy-is-a-non-issue-to-valve-providing-better-services-will-result-in-more-sales)

iN3krO
11-26-2011, 03:22 PM
I know that what i'm saying now will cost much more money to ubisoft then what

Ubisoft is taking 50/copy in pc for the Multiplayer, it's just STUPID.

This game was never meant to be multiplayer and now, those who buy the game are just buying the multiplayer? Are you kidding your customers Ubisoft?

Oh, and i'm not a console player, i would even be more upset if i knew the singleplayer is totally free for PC but i have to pay in my console to play the singleplayer, it's totally STUPID.

I'm going to buy this game cuz i loved it (yes i've already played the main story in pc) but i think ubisoft should think more carefully about their decisions...

Suggestion: Make DRM as hidden as the models, textures, etc, etc... Assassin's Creed was always sucessfull against modders, why can't u be sucessfull against pirates? Both modders and pirates uses the same methods to change ur game.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Directing other players on where and how to download a Pirated copy of a game is a violation of the Forum Rules and ToU.</span>

spectatorx
11-26-2011, 03:26 PM
And one thing more: ubisoft, do not think i will ever buy any console. I do not need console to play the game. My platform i chose to gaming is pc, i do not feel any kind of need to purchase console and to pay few times more for the same game i can buy with much lower price for pc.

jackoboy9
11-26-2011, 03:49 PM
If Ubisoft keep losing money from pirated games, then they just won't make any more games on PC. So then you wouldn't be able to pirate it or buy it. You'd have to buy a console or watch youtube forever.

misssnark
11-26-2011, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by jackoboy9:
If Ubisoft keep losing money from pirated games, then they just won't make any more games on PC. So then you wouldn't be able to pirate it or buy it. You'd have to buy a console or watch youtube forever.

If Ubisoft switches to an always-online DRM, they lose money anyway. There are plenty of people who like to play games they buy but don't have 24/7 internet connections.

Besides, even that won't stop piracy. Go look for AC2 torrents, you'll find plenty. Making the DRM more aggressive just makes the crackers and pirates more aggressive in their efforts to say a big f*** you to the company. Adding a multiplayer is actually a step in the right direction, because it means more people will pay for the games to be able to access all of it.

Ubisoft hasn't exactly shown a willingness to listen to their customers, so I doubt your petition will do much either way. And if they want to stop making PC games altogether, they should go right ahead. The world won't end, there are plenty of amazing companies producing games out there, and us poor PC players will find other games to support.

Tunesy
11-26-2011, 05:00 PM
What a cheezy company. I'll never spend another dime on ubi games.

Razrback16
11-26-2011, 05:28 PM

The game is pirated for both console & PC. Ubi's claims of PC piracy being out of control are just absurd. Kinda like their PR Department.

machinista
11-26-2011, 07:21 PM
The always online DRM is a huge disrespect towards consumers.

Any gaming company already has a disproportionate amount of power over the consumer based solely on the fact that it is in their hands that the power to give consumers what they want to enjoy lies. They decide the content, they decide the release date, they decide the format, they decide, well, everything, obviously. They're the ones making the game. There are things you can do to make yourself heard, but until the day comes when each and every one of us can simply make our own production companies and crank out games on whatever budget we have at our disposal (read: never), the manufacturer will be in a position of privilege in relation to us.

The DRM is nothing but a piece of crap measure to make that even worse. I bought the game, and the game itself needs no online connection to play. I should not have to have how I use a product I purchased dictated by a company just because they can't think of better ways to stop piracy. Piracy exists, it's not going to ever stop, companies need to adjust, not sabotage their consumers. And I'm sorry, but a company that reports 900 million in annual revenue is not going to get my sympathy as a company in desperate need of disrespectful measures to stay alive in the face of piracy.

Not everyone can have a 24/7 internet connection. I couldn't believe it when I read "this will only affect people with dodgy connections." How incredibly privileged. If you can't conceive of a situation where someone can't afford a 24/7 internet connection, you need to broaden your horizons a bit.

I won't be signing this junk. If you're angry that people have the game before you do, you should be angry at Ubisoft for their ridiculous treatment of PC gamers, not at the people who just don't want to put up with their crap.

D.I.D.
11-26-2011, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by spectatorx:
And one thing more: ubisoft, do not think i will ever buy any console. I do not need console to play the game. My platform i chose to gaming is pc, i do not feel any kind of need to purchase console and to pay few times more for the same game i can buy with much lower price for pc.

Your ultimatums get weaker every time. If you're willing to buy AC3 and all other Assassin's Creeds despite your declared opposition to buying everything else Ubisoft makes from this day forth: why? Are you saying you're refusing to buy games you don't really want to buy anyway, because that's what it sounds like! Surely refusing to buy games you actually want would carry more weight.

Now you're threatening never to buy a console... just in case Ubisoft were reading this thinking, "ah, he/she *says* that, but what if we take AC off PCs altogether?"

We'll see. I'm already considering getting the PS Vita, and if it gets an exclusive AC then that will probably tip me over the edge. So, realistically, if I'm likely to buy a new and expensive handheld for that reason, I probably would buy a cheaper PS3/360 to play AC as well.

I'm not saying this is good practice on Ubisoft's part, if they go that route. I don't own a console now and I wouldn't be playing AC at all if it wasn't on PC (i.e. they might be able to win me over, but there are a lot of PC gamers who have chosen a good gfx card and cheaper games and will stay where they are if they don't get to experience good cross-platform titles).

D.I.D.
11-26-2011, 07:58 PM
Read this and sign it: http://www.thepetitionsite.com...-future-of-PC-games/ (http://www.thepetitionsite.com/4/help-continue-the-future-of-PC-games/)

Thank you for all of you who have taken your time to read and sign this.

This is a terrible idea.

DRM was tried with music as well, and the whole industry learned never to do it again. It was a disaster. A lot of honest customers were given a reason they had never previously had to pirate music - the DRM-stripped pirate version had greater value than the one off the shelf.

I could be playing AC:R right now, but I'm not, and I'll finally get to play it next Friday when my pre-order comes in the mail. I could decide never to pay for music again, but I buy everything I listen to. Even books - I could be stealing those online, but I like books and I pay for them.

ace3001
11-27-2011, 08:36 AM
"The ONLY way to stop piracy is to have the always-online DRM."
^ Err... One problem. That doesn't work. AC2 was cracked. PoP:FS was cracked. PC (or even console for that matter) piracy is not something that can be stopped.
I really don't understand Ubisoft.
1) Other publishers don't complain like this. Ubisoft talks as if only their games are pirated.
2) They scream "PC PIRATES OMG!" and then release a few PC exclusives like Might and Magic Heroes VI, TrackMania 2 Canyon and Anno 2070. If PC gamers are all pirates, then how do they expect those games to sell?
Anyhow, no sign, sorry. This is not gonna get off the ground anyway.

EmmaBemma
11-27-2011, 10:47 AM
You clearly live in a city or town with good internet connection. Good for you. But a huge amount of people do not, and I don't understand why they should be denied playing a game they paid good money for!

The online-DRM for AC2 was sooo annoying, my gameplay would be interrupted several times an hour. I eventually cracked it because it was seriously effecting my enjoyment of the game - a game, I might add, that I'd paid close to 30 for. If Ubisoft had continued with this kind of protection I would not have bought the next games in the series.

I originally lived in London, and I think a lot of city-dwellers aren't aware how poor the internet connection can be in more rural parts of the country (I'm not even all that rural tbh, but it took nearly two days to download Skyrim via Steam).
Here's some great examples: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8248056.stm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11325452

Winston the pigeon took two hours to carry the data 60 miles - in the same time the ADSL had sent 4% of the data.

An hour and a quarter later, the pigeons had reached their destination in Skegness 120km away, while only 24% of a 300MB file had uploaded.

jackoboy9
11-27-2011, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by EmmaBemma:
You clearly live in a city or town with good internet connection. Good for you. But a huge amount of people do not, and I don't understand why they should be denied playing a game they paid good money for!

The online-DRM for AC2 was sooo annoying, my gameplay would be interrupted several times an hour. I eventually cracked it because it was seriously effecting my enjoyment of the game - a game, I might add, that I'd paid close to 30 for. If Ubisoft had continued with this kind of protection I would not have bought the next games in the series.

I originally lived in London, and I think a lot of city-dwellers aren't aware how poor the internet connection can be in more rural parts of the country (I'm not even all that rural tbh, but it took nearly two days to download Skyrim via Steam).
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Winston the pigeon took two hours to carry the data 60 miles - in the same time the ADSL had sent 4% of the data.

An hour and a quarter later, the pigeons had reached their destination in Skegness 120km away, while only 24% of a 300MB file had uploaded. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I doubt anyone uses dial up or ADSL anymore anyway. It's all fibre optic.

spectatorx
11-27-2011, 11:25 AM
In Poland most subscribers are using adsl simply because there is no interesting alternatives for worth money.

machinista
11-27-2011, 11:39 AM

Okay, wow. You need to go outside some more. I have never met anyone with a fibre optic connection.

misssnark
11-27-2011, 11:45 AM

Well I am so glad you have traveled everywhere in the world and know for a fact that nobody has dial-up or ADSL anymore! I sure wish someone had told me I have fibre optic, I would've done a lot more with my internet connection.

I am so sorry us under-privileged people get in the way of your wish for always-online DRM. How dare we try to play these games!

jackoboy9
11-27-2011, 01:35 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to cause upset to anyone, but as far as I know, everyone I have met (UK - London) has fibre optics, and only a very few have ADSL - even they are going to transfer soon.

restomaniac
11-27-2011, 02:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EmmaBemma:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Winston the pigeon took two hours to carry the data 60 miles - in the same time the ADSL had sent 4% of the data.

An hour and a quarter later, the pigeons had reached their destination in Skegness 120km away, while only 24% of a 300MB file had uploaded. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I doubt anyone uses dial up or ADSL anymore anyway. It's all fibre optic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Clearly you know very,very little then.

restomaniac
11-27-2011, 02:43 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to cause upset to anyone, but as far as I know, everyone I have met (UK - London) has fibre optics, and only a very few have ADSL - even they are going to transfer soon. Yes and as you Londoners keep telling us all there is nothing beyond the Watford gap obviously.
Like I said you know very,very little.

Razrback16
11-28-2011, 04:45 AM

lol. Wow. Your posting credibility just went out the window.

Ichthys91
11-28-2011, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by Razrback16:
lol. Wow. Your posting credibility just went out the window.

Indeed.

Regarding the petition: Was that written by a 10-year old? I can't believe people are asking for DRM. I don't buy Ubisoft games precisely because of their DRM. Excusing piracy due to lack of DRM is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. DRM only affects the legitimate consumer, not the pirates. They are the ones who get the DRM-free version.

rupok2
11-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Is the thread op ******ed or something. DRM does not protect against piracy ******. Treating your customer with respect and making awesome games make people want to buy the game.

I and many others on steam are buying the game. Drm is a waste of time. If they released the game on time more people would have bought it due to hype, probably all the hardcore fans just went and bought it for consoles cause they couldn't wait.

Tully__
11-28-2011, 06:21 PM
In the central part of a few lucky major cities in a few lucky select countries around the world.

The vast majority of smaller cities and regional towns are on ADSL (if they're lucky) and due to the range limits of ADSL (not much use more than 5km from a digital exchange) the vast majority of rural users are on dial-up, satellite (fast for browsing but useless for gaming) or mobile internet (not much better than dial-up). I live in a rural town in Australia and consider myself lucky to have an ADSL connection that synchronises at more than 8Mb/s.

lucifero2114
11-28-2011, 07:06 PM
i read an article at IGN - by CEO of STEAM

he said if the customer service in offer is better than that of the pirates, there will be no need for piracy by the users

thats why the major online distributor of games is relatively unaffected by piracy

some examples:
-availability (release date, anyone?)
-good content (f**ked up soundtrack for CE)
-quality control (any bugs)
-customer help and feedback
-respect customers

pf.voodoo
11-29-2011, 07:10 AM
I'm a PC Gamer. I'm a big fan of the AC series of games, and I own all of them (I bought the Ltd Ed of AC2, all the others are standard editions). I too won't be signing this.

Because the original AC really impressed me I gave AC2 and it's DRM the benefit of the doubt and sure enough, halfway through playing the game my internet went down. Later on the UBISOFT servers got hacked and I was stuck unable to play. In the end, I gave up and waited for the crack. When that appeared, I played the game, offline, start to finish without any trouble.

Like I said, I bought and own all 4 of the Assassin's Creed Games. And I've used/will use cracks on all 4 too, simply so I don't have to put up with any AC2 like DRM. I for one won't even give the latest iteration of DRM from UBISOFT a chance.

Ichthys91
11-29-2011, 01:24 PM
I agree with your sentiment, but:

Originally posted by rupok2:
I and many others on steam are buying the game. Drm is a waste of time.

Steam is DRM.

Tully__
12-02-2011, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by Ichthys91:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rupok2:

Steam is DRM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Steam is much more than just DRM, it's an entire distribution and service structure, of which its DRM is a small but important part. Fortunately, it's a fairly unobtrusive part and its presence is well compensated by the other parts of the system such as:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI>Autopatching that works
<LI>Buddy lists with status and chat functions <LI>An easy to navigate store with (usually) extremely competitive pricing
<LI>etc... [/list]

MelodicRock
12-02-2011, 04:45 AM
Ubisoft doesn't make enough money on PC gaming either way, and they clearly give off the impression that they'd rather lose their PC gamers (and convert them all to console) than continue to support PC gaming.

I'm an avid PC gamer and do not now, nor will I ever, own a console. I buy games from companies that appreciate their PC gamers and clearly show it (think Blizzard, NCSoft, CDProject RED, Bioware, ...).
If Ubisoft wants to give PC gamers the impression that they are appreciated and are worth the investment those people make when they buy a game, then Ubisoft should start by supporting their PC versions just as much as they support the console versions (which means: if they decided to release a game for PC, then release it at the same time as the console versions, and release all DLC for PC as well, even if they don't make money on it... it's a matter of goodwill and support, and it builds a loyal customer base). If you cannot fully support a game for a platform, then don't even release it.

It's easy for Ubisoft to claim that they are losing lots and lots of money due to PC piracy, and I'm sure there are quite a few people out there playing a pirated version who would have otherwise bought it. But there are also a lot of those (including some of my friends) who refuse to buy ANY Ubisoft game for their PC - EVER - as long as Ubisoft doesn't support it with DLC, and as long as Ubisoft keeps adding intrusive copy protection schemes. It's a vicious circle, and as long as Ubisoft continues on this path, they will continue losing players to pirated versions that are less limiting. So I definitely vote NO on this issue.

Ferrith
12-02-2011, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Razrback16:
Not signing that garbage. Yeah...let me sign all my rights away. Good idea.

The petition is irrelevant anyway -- the online DRM does NOT stop piracy. All AC games have been pirated. All of them will continue to be pirated. The console versions have been pirated. They will continue to be pirated. If people want to hack the game, they will. You won't stop them. Those of us who are willing to pay for the game, will pay for it. Those who aren't, won't. That's the way it is with both console and PC versions.

Well-said!
Really, I don't know why players still bother with petitions. Game companies have become greedy, much like bankers nowadays, and all the measures and actions they take against piracy with DRMs and other crap most often than not end up hurting the real paying customers. Talking about it is like beating a dead horse.

Nimras186
12-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by lucifero2114:

he said if the customer service in offer is better than that of the pirates, there will be no need for piracy by the users

thats why the major online distributor of games is relatively unaffected by piracy

some examples:
-respect customers

YET games on STEAM only gets cracked so easely that who cares when it comes to Priracy Steam or no steam Ubisoft or no Ubisoft will all games on all platforms may it be Linux, MAC, Windows, Unix = PC platform, Consoles no matter which will the game be cracked and it will be done very easy its a fact.

Originally posted by Tully__:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ichthys91:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rupok2:

Steam is DRM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Steam is much more than just DRM, it's an entire distribution and service structure, of which its DRM is a small but important part. Fortunately, it's a fairly unobtrusive part and its presence is well compensated by the other parts of the system such as:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI>Autopatching that works
<LI>Buddy lists with status and chat functions <LI>An easy to navigate store with (usually) extremely competitive pricing
<LI>etc... [/list] </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes much more so much I hate Steam so badly as I am against the way Steam works, they avoid DRM by using Clouds problem is by using clouds services are they using a trend that are catching on a trend that will mean the end for everyeone who want to be them self.

Yes the cloud part can be avoided when you download a cracked version but those who don't such like me who buy my games its a dissaster I hate.

ElitesamuraI26
12-03-2011, 07:46 AM
Ubisoft are selfish arrogant ****** and they think all PC gamers are pirate so that is a big FU to UBI****.

xpr
12-04-2011, 06:16 AM
[I posted this in another thread but just wanted to emphasise my view on Ubi and their PC development.]

I just want to say a few words of appreciation for the PC-versions of the AC-series in general, and especially Revelations, despite all the draconian DRM.

The games have all worked beautifully for me. The code for Revelations is optimized enough to make the game run super smooth on my machine (which is "highmid"-range). THe experience with Uplay has been OK, in that I don't notice it and it doesn't bloat my system (I never ever use it, despite the log on screen and one-time online registration of the code which I find reasonable).

Basically, I just want to say thanks to the development team on the PC version for bringing these beautiful games alive on the PC! DON'T LOOSE HOPE ON US, WE ARE STILL HERE WITH YOU!!

kyleicious
12-04-2011, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by lucifero2114:

some examples:
-respect customers

Of course, there's also the fact that Valve is unique in that they make a percentage of pretty much everybody's games, so why would they be so worried about profiting from any one game of thier own? Not to mention the fact that by trying to fuel the "piracy doesn't matter" fire, they are also firing up customers to be even more against DRM (OTHER THAN STEAM). As long as everybody doesn't consider Steam DRM, then Valve is the good guy! See how that works?