PDA

View Full Version : more combat 'sorties' on il2 online or WWII??

thefruitbat
04-03-2006, 10:58 AM
I know this isnt important at all, or indeed probally possible to answer, but it is something that i was thinking about the other day driving home from work regardless, and i am curious to know what the masses think.

Do you think that since il2 came out and people began flying online, that more combat sorties have been flown online than during the actuall war?

As i type this there are 335 people flying on hyperlobby. Now this is pretty continous, and of course, most people dont just fly one sortie at a time, and death is not such a hinderence as in real life. weather dosent affect 'our' flying, and it is 24/7, then again so was WWII, but it was weather affected (i belive). Of course in WWII there were huge formations compared to what we see, but not all the time.
Checking the back of my il2 box, it says 2001, i cant remember when i got it but that seems about right, so that is 5 years of il2 online, in one guise or another. I didnt fly online untill aces expansion came out myself and that was only a couple of times, and it wasnt untill pacific fighters that i really started flying online, so i dont really know what the online situation was like before then.

of course, if people have flown more sorties online, does that make il2 the largest air war in history (yes i know its not really an air war, its a game), or does another game hold that title?

i'm just curious thats all, what do you reckon?

thefruitbat
04-03-2006, 10:58 AM
I know this isnt important at all, or indeed probally possible to answer, but it is something that i was thinking about the other day driving home from work regardless, and i am curious to know what the masses think.

Do you think that since il2 came out and people began flying online, that more combat sorties have been flown online than during the actuall war?

As i type this there are 335 people flying on hyperlobby. Now this is pretty continous, and of course, most people dont just fly one sortie at a time, and death is not such a hinderence as in real life. weather dosent affect 'our' flying, and it is 24/7, then again so was WWII, but it was weather affected (i belive). Of course in WWII there were huge formations compared to what we see, but not all the time.
Checking the back of my il2 box, it says 2001, i cant remember when i got it but that seems about right, so that is 5 years of il2 online, in one guise or another. I didnt fly online untill aces expansion came out myself and that was only a couple of times, and it wasnt untill pacific fighters that i really started flying online, so i dont really know what the online situation was like before then.

of course, if people have flown more sorties online, does that make il2 the largest air war in history (yes i know its not really an air war, its a game), or does another game hold that title?

i'm just curious thats all, what do you reckon?

zbw_109
09-19-2006, 05:33 AM
I'd say about the same number,6 years of constant war vs 5 years of online Insanity

carguy_
09-19-2006, 05:39 AM
At first thought NO WAY but really could be.We aint dyin here so everyone is flyin day by day(week by week).

Still,I think the scale of some WWII aerial operations would have exceeded the number of IL2 flown online sories alone.

I gots me ~800 coop sorties,some of my friends have 1200 and more.

We need a mathematician to judge this.Hope it wont turn into another E retention calulations thread though.

FlatSpinMan
09-19-2006, 05:51 AM
Per pilot definitely IL2but as you said,the number of sorties in WW2 was massive. I'd still say IL2 has more though, just cos we don't die and we always see combat. I have no basis for this opinion, just my ideas.

p-11.cAce
09-19-2006, 06:03 AM
I think you are probably correct - and many of us have far more "stick time" than many WWII pilots ever had. The really huge discrepency is the number of kills - Yeager flew 127 combat missions and ended the war with 11.5 kills. I can only imagine the whining if we only scored a kill ever 11 or 12 sorties.

thefruitbat
09-19-2006, 06:05 AM
wow, i posted this in april, no replies until sept 19!

FlatSpinMan
09-19-2006, 06:07 AM
Jeez! How bored is zbw_109? I feel he should be named "Zeb", for short. Not "Zed" mind, cos "Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead."