PDA

View Full Version : I'm Invincible! Collision detection off on decks - video

Scragbat
10-27-2004, 04:50 PM
Had a little go on a FB+AEP+PF server on HL this morning. Wasn't there long but thought I'd have a go at landing on the deck (first time). It was full real so my view was imited. Anyway, I didn't see the guy about to take-off on the deck till it was too late. I was too busy lining up. I was too steep, too
fast and forgot to drop the wheels, DOH!
Very amateurish http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif
I went to pull up but couldn't make it. My hook had snagged the cable. A full-on collision was imminent. This was starting to look like a
particularly bad first attempt at getting on the deck http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

However...

I survived and so did the guy on the deck.

Cue voice-over guy:
<span class="ev_code_RED">What you are about to see actually happened.</span>

A bug? I think you could say so LOL.

***EDIT*** Not a bug see below.

Video is Xvid (5.3MB)
Collision bug video (http://www.appy55.dsl.pipex.com/collision.avi)

The guy who took off said shortly after 'You passed right through me!'
No ****!

Buzzer1
10-27-2004, 04:59 PM
Could be this?
-"In order to maintain better online synchronization we had to turn off client-side collision for parked planes that are using chocks. In all other cases collision works as usual."
Maybe chocks arn't "considered off" until the other A/C is airborne...?

WTE_Dukayn
10-27-2004, 05:00 PM
It's deliberate. Something in the ORR PF bug report thread mentions that if there are chocks on a plane on the deck, collisions will not occur so that you don't accidentally smash into people who have just spawned or are readying for takeoff.

Hmm, simultaneous posting...

Scragbat
10-27-2004, 05:03 PM
Hmmm...

His chocks are off, full throttle and he's accelerating forward...?

Must be what Buzzer1 said...
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Maybe chocks arn't "considered off" until the other A/C is airborne...? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
So perhaps not a bug but it's still funny to see.

Perhaps this could become a server side setting in a future patch? Deck collisions on/off...

Fritzofn
10-27-2004, 05:43 PM
can it be that the Hook is "touching" deck of ship???

VW-IceFire
10-27-2004, 06:27 PM
Maybe its a design concession...Its something that I still think I'd avoid (myself flying through aircraft)...but ok.

Lateralus_14
10-27-2004, 06:35 PM
So the wire won't snap if you catch it while going too fast?

Scragbat
10-28-2004, 03:17 PM
I would have thought so Lateralus, but this was not the case in my attempt. I was going fast but maybe not fast enough to snap it?

If there is going to be any immersion as far as carrier deck landings go then collision detection should be on IMO. If there was activity on the deck then you would have to circle and wait for the deck to clear before you attempted a landing. With the possibility of fuel running out this would add to the excitement and make the whole experience a little more tense.

OK, the video was my first attempt and I approached it completely wrong (it was my first time), but it does show a lack of realism. If everybody knows about collision detection being off on the decks then people would just be landing all the time regardless of any aircraft there. Makes it seem a bit silly to me...

Just my thoughts...

Still a great game though