PDA

View Full Version : Curious About Game Quirks

edminney1946
01-09-2006, 09:09 PM
I notice that in the Pilot campaigns that after taking off in the back of the heap with the rest of the wing....no matter how fast I go I can't keep up with the rest of the wing. They just move out to fast and I never catch up....always 3-4 thousand meters behind. I don't know how that happens....I also notice playing the marine pilot in the campaign that the flaps don't deploy upon landing...I assume the old cat just requires manual raising and lowering of gear as well. Any ideas for keeping up with the wing after take off and if there is a bug in the program on the failure of the flaps on landing????

edminney1946
01-09-2006, 09:09 PM
I notice that in the Pilot campaigns that after taking off in the back of the heap with the rest of the wing....no matter how fast I go I can't keep up with the rest of the wing. They just move out to fast and I never catch up....always 3-4 thousand meters behind. I don't know how that happens....I also notice playing the marine pilot in the campaign that the flaps don't deploy upon landing...I assume the old cat just requires manual raising and lowering of gear as well. Any ideas for keeping up with the wing after take off and if there is a bug in the program on the failure of the flaps on landing????

VW-IceFire
01-09-2006, 09:11 PM
Most of the time the rest of the flight flying away from you is due to pilot experience.

Focus on getting some speed before climbing. Also focus on keeping a set climb speed that is ideal for your aircraft (you start to get a feel for it after a while of flying one type). The AI does cheat a little but you CAN keep up.

Zeus-cat
01-09-2006, 09:31 PM
The Wildcat's flaps will not stay down below approximately 160mph. This is actually what happens in real life. The flaps on this plane are controlled by some sort of vacuum system (there are other threads here that will explain it better than I can, so I won't bother).

The gear on the Wildcat is manually activated as you have figured out. Look down to your right in the cockpit and you will see the handle spinning as you raise and lower the gear.

VW-IceFire is correct. Maintain speed and climb slowly to meet the AI. Trying to climb as fast as they do AND maintain your speed is futile.

wayno7777
01-09-2006, 09:34 PM
And cut inside their turns....

dieg777
01-09-2006, 09:53 PM
Try to take off as fast as possible and get wheels up and flaps up as soon as possible to reduce drag. trim out. Dont pull back on stick too soon as this will give you a large frontal area and slow you down as you climb-your lift will be generated by increasing speed of air over the wing so keep low until speed picks up then go into shallow climb- they will throttle back to cruise and you will catch up.

Tully__
01-10-2006, 03:08 AM
It's already been said but it's worth repeating...high climb rate = high drag = low speed = can't catch up.

Low climb rate = low drag = high speed = catch up easy, match height after you've caught up. Still, be carefull not to climb too fast even after you've caught up or you'll slow down so much you fall behind again.

Chuck_Older
01-10-2006, 10:08 AM
Try this for most fighter aircraft with no external ordnace:

hold brakes
apply full power
LOCK tailwheel
NO flaps
CLOSED cockpit
CLOSED radiator flaps
120% mixture if you have the option
release brakes
stay on the runway until around 150mph IAS if possible
pull up smoothly, low climb angle
gear up ASAP

With carrier aircraft, obviously you're doing things like releasing chocks, and staying on the deck until 150mph IAS is out of the question. You'll be wanting flaps more than likely on the carrier http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

SeaFireLIV
01-10-2006, 10:18 AM
I just take off and fly as the others say, often the AI squadron will be turning, so I`ll cut the `bend` like a string to a bow tip, reducing the distance and gradually increasing height. It will take about 5 minutes to catch up with patience.

I regularly fly in formation with AI now, but you have to be ready for that sudden turn they sometimes do.

Flying online with Squad m8s for long periods also helps develop the patience.

edminney1946
01-10-2006, 09:15 PM
Thanks to everyone for the great advise....I'll give it a try....found the solution you provided to flaps has them working normally now. Will try the lower AOA and cutting corners to see if I can stay up. Thanks again.