PDA

View Full Version : What is each position of radiator use for?

Dai_Kung
02-12-2005, 09:16 AM
I press "R" to cowl or armor flap, it show "Radiator : position 2". Press "R" again it show "Radiator : position 4" then "Radiator : position 6", "Radiator : position 8" and finally "Radiator : open"
So I want to know what is this position use for and How differrent are they?
Thanks a lots.

Dai_Kung
02-12-2005, 09:16 AM
I press "R" to cowl or armor flap, it show "Radiator : position 2". Press "R" again it show "Radiator : position 4" then "Radiator : position 6", "Radiator : position 8" and finally "Radiator : open"
So I want to know what is this position use for and How differrent are they?
Thanks a lots.

Maple_Tiger
02-12-2005, 09:18 AM
The more you press the button, the more open the armor flaps will be.

Dai_Kung
02-12-2005, 09:36 AM
Thank you very much, but I still don't get it. Would you please tell me what is the different between position 2,4,6,8, like it use when fly at ... meter or at ...km/hr or this position use for ... and that position use for ... or this position can little prevent engine from overheat and that position can prevent a little bit more?

FoolTrottel
02-12-2005, 09:49 AM
I don't think there are exact rules or guidelines for it.

Just make sure to keep the engine cool enough, by opening the cowl flaps: the higher figure means more air goes to the engine/radiator. (fully Closed, 2, 4, 6, 8, fully Open)

But, fully openend cowl flaps/radiator will increase drag, thus decrease speed.
Find the balance!
(Some people fly radiator open when in normal flight, to keep the engine as cool as possible, to be able to run it at full throttle a bit longer when needed in fights ...)

heywooood
02-12-2005, 10:26 AM
my personal method is to open the rad. fully when on the ground and on climbout to cruise altitude...then reduce speed..adjust the prop. if needed...and close the rad. to position 2 or 4 depending on the type of plane..usually inline engines to pos. 4 and radials to pos. 2

cruise throttle is usually 55-60% and cruise prop is 85-90%...

I only open the rad. after that if the engine gets hot in combat...but for BnZ you shouldnt be hanging around in max power long enough to overheat the mill....

Then open full in landing config. and taxi to stop or trap....hope that helps you.

This is only my personal preference so feel free to do whatever you like best...the key is to stick to one plane long enough to find out whats best for her before you move on to the next...

3.JG51_BigBear
02-12-2005, 10:31 AM
If your playing online or are in combat I would suggest about 95% throttle and closed radiator on most planes. Just use the top of the plane's power band for emergency situations or when you can really make it count. At that point you'll have to open the radiator to keep the engine from overheating. In any situation try to keep the radiator as closed as possible while still keeping engine temps down, they are a huge drag on performance in most planes.