PDA

View Full Version : Aerial Bombing

avimimus
05-05-2005, 01:29 PM
Both the luftwaffe and the Japanese air-force tried it.

The German bombs were mainly time delayed SD-250s right?

Also what techniques are effective for aerial bombing in Il-2? The parafrags can be used but it is very hard to get them at the right altitude and position.

I find that the AB-500 has a very limited effect. But the AB-1000 can almost always be used to take out at least three bombers.

Ramming a Russian 5000kg bomb head on just after the Pe-8 has jettisoned it is also very effective.

Any other notes? Ideas? Techniques?

avimimus
05-05-2005, 01:29 PM
Both the luftwaffe and the Japanese air-force tried it.

The German bombs were mainly time delayed SD-250s right?

Also what techniques are effective for aerial bombing in Il-2? The parafrags can be used but it is very hard to get them at the right altitude and position.

I find that the AB-500 has a very limited effect. But the AB-1000 can almost always be used to take out at least three bombers.

Ramming a Russian 5000kg bomb head on just after the Pe-8 has jettisoned it is also very effective.

Any other notes? Ideas? Techniques?

tigertalon
05-06-2005, 02:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by avimimus:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Out of desperate, I tried bombing TB-3s with SC50 bombs... Even if you hit, it is not necessary he will go down! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif And IRL Soviets withdrew them from daylight operations due to high losses against J8As. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

IIRC only He111 and Ju87 can carry AB1000... So, you are climbing that high with that? How do you aim, what is your technique?

avimimus
05-09-2005, 07:50 AM
It only works on bombers you can get above (eg, B-24, low flying B-17s).

I aproach from at least 1000m above and then but the '87 into a shallow dive.

I approach the formation head on, so that I am diving only a little so that I can see the bombers. I come in fast and imagine/feel the course the bomb will take and then how the bomblettes will decellerate.

The bomb normally detonates a long way above the bombers and the AB-1000 with its multi-stage detonation produces a nice distribution.

Then the majestic rain falls through the formation at a forty-five degree angle.

Fire lights up the back of my cockpit and debris rains on the soil below.

Guaranteed to take out two or three bombers on average with practice!