PDA

View Full Version : The overall tone of Myst V (a speculation)

andyp1986
01-15-2005, 11:21 AM
Perhaps this one will be a little lighter in terms of mood or less dark or tense overall than other Myst games? I've noticed that thus far the odd number chapters of Myst are generally the simpler, lighter chapters, and the even number ones are a little darker and more unsettling.

In Myst, you find an island, walk around leisurely, finding things solving a few simple puzzles, finding out the story for yourself, meet a few characters, get your start. Not that much unpleasantness.

Riven was much darker. You're on a dying age to save Catherine from the grasp of a very sinister, dangerous man, Gehn. There's a lot more references of cruelty, brutality, insanity, and eerieness. Another notable thing about Riven as that out of all the games in the series, it had the largest number of different ways for things to go wrong.

Myst III, yes you had a descriptive book to rescue, and Saavedro could be intimidating, but basically you access the Ages all by similar means, the ages are beautiful, don't take too long, feel sympathy for the "villain" and basically everyone comes out for the better.

Myst IV, your object is to save Yeesha's life, unravel the stories of Sirrus and Achenar, and stop the truly evil plan before it's too late. Even from the opening introduction, Myst IV is tense and unsettling. It begins with a family all but torn apart, and like Riven, Atrus sends for you specifically because he needs your help. It has perhaps the most disturbing elements and provokes the most unpleasant, violent imagery of any game in the series. Even at the very end, things still need time to heal.
Would it be saying too much to also add that this is the only game in the series in which no matter what you do, you are direct witness to a few casualties? Man, this one is dark.

And now Myst V. Do you suppose it possible they might perhaps lighten the mood just a little bit for the final chapter? If they're going to provide a full sense of closure to Myst, do you think they might ease up just a little bit? As with Myst and Myst III, having a little drama involved in the storyline is crucial, but maybe they won't have quite so much? I don't know.

andyp1986
01-15-2005, 11:21 AM
Perhaps this one will be a little lighter in terms of mood or less dark or tense overall than other Myst games? I've noticed that thus far the odd number chapters of Myst are generally the simpler, lighter chapters, and the even number ones are a little darker and more unsettling.

In Myst, you find an island, walk around leisurely, finding things solving a few simple puzzles, finding out the story for yourself, meet a few characters, get your start. Not that much unpleasantness.

Riven was much darker. You're on a dying age to save Catherine from the grasp of a very sinister, dangerous man, Gehn. There's a lot more references of cruelty, brutality, insanity, and eerieness. Another notable thing about Riven as that out of all the games in the series, it had the largest number of different ways for things to go wrong.

Myst III, yes you had a descriptive book to rescue, and Saavedro could be intimidating, but basically you access the Ages all by similar means, the ages are beautiful, don't take too long, feel sympathy for the "villain" and basically everyone comes out for the better.

Myst IV, your object is to save Yeesha's life, unravel the stories of Sirrus and Achenar, and stop the truly evil plan before it's too late. Even from the opening introduction, Myst IV is tense and unsettling. It begins with a family all but torn apart, and like Riven, Atrus sends for you specifically because he needs your help. It has perhaps the most disturbing elements and provokes the most unpleasant, violent imagery of any game in the series. Even at the very end, things still need time to heal.
Would it be saying too much to also add that this is the only game in the series in which no matter what you do, you are direct witness to a few casualties? Man, this one is dark.

And now Myst V. Do you suppose it possible they might perhaps lighten the mood just a little bit for the final chapter? If they're going to provide a full sense of closure to Myst, do you think they might ease up just a little bit? As with Myst and Myst III, having a little drama involved in the storyline is crucial, but maybe they won't have quite so much? I don't know.

GadrenURU
01-15-2005, 03:33 PM
I'd say that Myst was quite dark...maybe not as much so as Riven, but I still get chills in Achenar's room on Mechanical...

As for Myst V, I have no idea what the tone will be.

andyp1986
01-15-2005, 04:58 PM
Well yes Myst had a few eerie moments and a few creepy elements, but I don't think it was, for the most part that dark a game. I think it was more like the first chapter of any major saga (ie Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc). Some drama and a few chills, but the focus is more on getting started and meeting characters for the first time. And as with other sagas, it was the simplest of the chapters.

I haven't quite decided yet if Riven is the darkest chapter of the Myst series, or if Revelation deserves that distinction. I just hope that whatever the mood, Myst V is a graceful closer to the series.

Deg__
01-16-2005, 10:35 AM
In the beginning, we just assumed the D'ni to be this great civilization. As the series progresses, we learn the darker side of D'ni. I'm guessing we'll learn more about the bahro in Myst V. So it will either be dark in the sense of their slavery by the D'ni, or light in the sense of the bahro's new beginning.

Cheers,
- Deg -

soypowered
01-17-2005, 05:04 PM
Very good and interesting observation! If this game is about rebuilding the D'ni civilization I can't imagine it being too dark and sinister. In fact, from what I've heard, it doesn't sound like there will be a main villan, and if there is one it would have to be a new one, unless they bring back Gehn, but that would be 2 similar plots in a row.

Valor_2005
01-17-2005, 10:57 PM
How would you gauge the tone of Uru in relation to the other games?

Alahmnat
01-17-2005, 11:57 PM
I think Uru's dark as well, but in an alltogether different way... it's not an immediate, pressing, "the situation needs to be rectified NOW" kind of dark like Riven, but rather an historical, "Georgia plantation slavery practices" kind of dark. To D'ni has its own feel which is really more depressing than "dark", and PotS is kind of hard to place at all, really. I don't think "depressing" or "dark" really fit... maybe "weird" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

the_fibber
01-18-2005, 06:43 AM
Alahmnat, that's exactly the word I was looking for, "historical". Rather like the DRC, Uru feels like an archaelogical expidition, digging through the clues and dsicovering masses about this ancient civilization, which is why it is definately not a Myst game but rather a game about the Myst worlds. I'd call it an interactive history lesson but it's far more enjoyable than that. (for reference I've only played Uru with Path of the Shell (and To D'ni) installed from the beginning, meaning I would be exploring the worlds and stumble upon these massive cahces of information that I could read over before returning to the puzzles at hand which is an incredible way to experience the game, sometimes it was almost a shame to have to return to the puzzles! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif )

yeesha always felt like the person who shows you all the things you'd miss if she wasn't there to point them out. The darker underbelly of the civilization that you'd miss if all you had to go by was the DRC's notes.

Uru definately felt the most epic. Though the plot itself was limited, the story was massive, since it covers roughly 10,000 years!

I'm playing through them all again in preparation for myst 5 (and hey, if I am quick enough I can prepare twice! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ) I really do enjoy these worlds. I'm going to write some essays on them I think, once I have played and finished myst 5. must send them to the appropriate people in the community.

Ni Cahlas the Young
01-18-2005, 01:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by soypowered:
If this game is about rebuilding the D'ni civilization I can't imagine it being too dark and sinister. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't it true that the Bahro did't get rescued until the events of Uru? (present time)
If so, it would seem unlikely that we would meet them being our 19th century-character of Atrus' mysterious friend. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see the Bahro, but maybe that would better be in some future Uru-based game instead of the final part of Myst.
Back to topic: I wonder how things could possibly get darker than the end of Revelation but I trust the makers of the game will come up with something. The end, however should be happy and satisfying. I really liked the rush I felt at the end of Exile when all was at last good....

Ian [Atrus]
01-19-2005, 07:00 AM
The end of Revelation was dark? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Ni Cahlas the Young
01-23-2005, 09:38 AM
I don't want to spoil things for people who haven't finished revelation by telling what the end was like, but it's not exactly happy...

Ian [Atrus]
01-24-2005, 06:14 AM
I played Revelation, I was just being ironic. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
The ending was so full of clich├ęs that the only adjectives I can find for it are boring and rushed.

JennyH
01-24-2005, 07:07 AM
Thanks for not spoiling it. I do appreciate it. I'm still really stuck.http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif I took a long hiatus from playing it and just started back this week. Anyway, I will not discuss that here in the Myst V forum. I might have to pop over to Myst IV and beg for help.:P