PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Loadouts - Single & MP missions

hkg36sd
07-13-2007, 10:57 AM
I started wondering about this after I flew several good online missions where the fuel loadout was locked:

Given the extreme "long legs" of various a aircraft, (P-51, A6M series, maybe P-38) would the crew chief/ground crew always tank up the fuel load on aircraft that were assigned to short hops?, 'ready 5' intercept?

For performance, common sense would dictate a load of 25% (If the mission had forced 'live player' factors incorporating Pilot/Aircraft fatigue, time over enemy airspace/terrain, higher loads would be understandable)

Flyable Aircraft on the deck/tarmac would have the same or lower (lowering extreme fire hazard? and lessening the time for a full tank up) percentage.

Theres also the factor of tank(s) location combined with the inertial effect of gas sloshing/shifting while in a maneuver - but I think this is beyond the scope of this sim...

In regards to historical reality, has anyone done any reading regarding what level Combat Aircraft were gassed up to?

Thanks in advance.

hkg36sd
07-13-2007, 10:57 AM
I started wondering about this after I flew several good online missions where the fuel loadout was locked:

Given the extreme "long legs" of various a aircraft, (P-51, A6M series, maybe P-38) would the crew chief/ground crew always tank up the fuel load on aircraft that were assigned to short hops?, 'ready 5' intercept?

For performance, common sense would dictate a load of 25% (If the mission had forced 'live player' factors incorporating Pilot/Aircraft fatigue, time over enemy airspace/terrain, higher loads would be understandable)

Flyable Aircraft on the deck/tarmac would have the same or lower (lowering extreme fire hazard? and lessening the time for a full tank up) percentage.

Theres also the factor of tank(s) location combined with the inertial effect of gas sloshing/shifting while in a maneuver - but I think this is beyond the scope of this sim...

In regards to historical reality, has anyone done any reading regarding what level Combat Aircraft were gassed up to?

Thanks in advance.

Eldude95
07-13-2007, 12:04 PM
Well I guess they would be at full fuel on taking off but usualy by the time they where at the target they would probably be at like 50%-75%. But thats for something like the U.S. In places like Germany there wasn't enough fuel to have a full combat load so in general it depended on the distance to the target and the wartime fuel supplies and other factors.

hkg36sd
07-13-2007, 03:26 PM
umm, I don't think you read or understood my query, but thanks anyway!

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Eldude95
07-13-2007, 03:34 PM
Well one of your questions was if they would usualy put full fuel loads in and thats what I answered.

3.JG51_BigBear
07-13-2007, 06:26 PM
As a general rule in aviation you take as much gas as you can hold. You never know when the weather is going to close in, you're going to be blown off course or, in WW2, you're going to end up in a protracted dogfight.

The only time I have read of planes being fuelled less than 100% is P-51D models going on ground attack missions. On shorter range missions in Europe the 51s wouldn't fill the fueselage tank or would only fill it to around 30 gallons (the safe manuevering level).

JG53Frankyboy
07-14-2007, 03:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 3.JG51_BigBear:
The only time I have read of planes being fuelled less than 100% is P-51D models going on ground attack missions. On shorter range missions in Europe the 51s wouldn't fill the fueselage tank or would only fill it to around 30 gallons (the safe manuevering level). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yak-9D too

hkg36sd
07-14-2007, 06:56 PM
hmmm, good thoughts. Makes sense.

Still, what about the "ready 5's" on the flight line/deck? They wouldn't need full tanks especially on spontaneous intercepts?

(Though I don't remember any specific details from books I've read,..may have to either take em out again or repurchase)

Thanks All!

3.JG51_BigBear
07-14-2007, 07:51 PM
I would still guess that alert aircraft carried a full load or close to it. The alert fighters could end up being aloft for a signficant period of time depending on the amount of opposition they were facing, how far they decided to chase the enemy, the condition of the field after an attack, etc.